Olin Mil-grade 00 Buck

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Olin Mil-grade 00 Buck

Post by DarkAxel » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:03 pm

I was out looking for ammo the other day, and I ran across a place selling this stuff:

Since I needed a few more rounds of buck, and this was the only stuff on the shelf, I picked up a couple of boxes.

Anybody care to tell me what to expect? Thoughts? Pros? Cons?
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

JohnnyMayhem

Re: Olin Mil-grade 00 Buck

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:17 pm

I picked up a few boxes over at Wal-Mart and it was within a dime of the other brands.

I haven't taken it out to the range and worked with it either.
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:31 pm

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 7&t=224340

Basically it's OD green Super-X. Cardboard buffers, 9 pellets, 1325FPS out of the test barrel (some guys have been seeing 1450 out of 18-20" barrels) so it patterns wide.
Mil Surp (Military Surplus)
12 ga, 9 pellet 00 buckshot. 2 3/4 inch
-7 yards: 4 inches
-15 yards: 10 inches

Remington TAC 8 Law Enforcement
12 ga, 8 pellet 00 buckshot. 2 3/4 inch
-7 yards: 3.75 inches
-15 yards: 8.25 inches

Federal Premium Law Enforcement Flight Control Wad
-7 yards: Zero visible spread
-15 yards: 2.5 inches
It's a bit of an asskicker if (like me) you're used to flitecontrol or low-recoil buck, but the anodized based is apparently a bit more moisture resistant. I occasionally pick up a case when it's on sale cheaper than the other stuff, but generally I just pick up a box of Winchester Low Recoil at wally world every month. I will say that training with the Milspec stuff does make lower-recoiling loads seem more pleasant.

Honestly, it's got nothing on any other loads I've used, other than occasionally being $189/250.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:09 am

Omega_Man and I were out shooting my S12 this weekend. It seemed like the standard crimped shells like the ones you posted worked fine. But when I tried the crimp and disk (at least that's what I call them and they look like this: http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/images/AL ... DECKER.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) they wouldn't properly extract from the chamber. So now I have to find more 00 buckshot. :ohdear:
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:59 am

I have a couple hundred rounds of it. Never had a failure, but probably only shot about 30 rounds.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

alptraum

Post by alptraum » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:53 am

Like Doc I pick some up from time to time when it's on sale for a good price. It's always been reliable for me. It is certainly not low recoil and it does pattern pretty large compared to some other buckshot rounds.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:43 pm

I have about 7 or 8 boxes of this stuff sitting in on my stack of buckshot, they usually sell it in bulk at the gun shows here. A buddy of mine gave me a bunch awhile back and I haven't gotten around to shooting it all. I don't shoot too much buckshot anymore, my shotgun mostly sees the trap range. I usually have federal low recoil loaded in my shotgun for HD. As people said before, I find the low recoil patterns a bit tighter and likes my shoulder a bit better.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 7&t=224340

Basically it's OD green Super-X. Cardboard buffers, 9 pellets, 1325FPS out of the test barrel (some guys have been seeing 1450 out of 18-20" barrels) so it patterns wide.
Mil Surp (Military Surplus)
-7 yards: 4 inches
-15 yards: 10 inches

Remington TAC 8 Law Enforcement
12 ga, 8 pellet 00 buckshot. 2 3/4 inch
-7 yards: 3.75 inches
-15 yards: 8.25 inches

Federal Premium Law Enforcement Flight Control Wad
-7 yards: Zero visible spread
-15 yards: 2.5 inches
It's a bit of an asskicker if (like me) you're used to flitecontrol or low-recoil buck, but the anodized based is apparently a bit more moisture resistant. I occasionally pick up a case when it's on sale cheaper than the other stuff, but generally I just pick up a box of Winchester Low Recoil at wally world every month. I will say that training with the Milspec stuff does make lower-recoiling loads seem more pleasant.

Honestly, it's got nothing on any other loads I've used, other than occasionally being $189/250.
This is pretty much what I was looking for. I'll have to put a few rounds downrange to see how it patterns in my gun.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:09 pm

I will say that midway's supposed to be getting the bulk-boxed Fiocchi #00 in, which is usually cheaper (and better) but never lasts long.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

DaveTrader
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DaveTrader » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 pm

Patterned poorly out of my 870 and Mossy 500. I shot the 500 most recently and at 20 yards, the spread was getting a little large for my taste. Federal Flitecontrol Wads are the way to go for serious work. I traded all the rest of the mil. buckshot for 147gr 9mm Ranger Ts.

DarkAxel

Post by DarkAxel » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:04 am

This stuff patterned in between 8" and 14" out of my test shotty (An H&R single-shot with a custom choke, five rounds) at 12 to 15 yards. This is acceptable to me for home defense. It kicks like a high-brass 2 3/4 inch shell, but it has nothing on 3" magnum rifled slugs out of the same gun (my usual HD round in 12 Ga).

Since these shells are OD green with subdued brass, they may not catch the eye like Remington or Winchester bulk 00 Buck if you stick them in a 12GA bandoleer or sidesaddle shell holder. That may be important to some.

I tested these along with 5 rounds of Winchester Super X and got identical results.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

DaveTrader
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DaveTrader » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:56 pm

DarkAxel wrote:This stuff patterned in between 8" and 14" ...
Thats pretty much what I got. The FliteControl Wad was dramatically tighter though.
But the OD shells and subdued brass do make it the tacticoolest round I have seen.

The Commander

Post by The Commander » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:20 pm

It's absolutely nothing extraordinary. Same as regular Winchester 00 buck.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:34 pm

its low level buck. not even great for the price. They get suckers with the green shell, plain cardboard box and ammo cans
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

DaveTrader
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DaveTrader » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:15 am

For comparison:

#1 FliteControl Buck at 35-50yards.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=125822

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:24 pm

OP I say good buy, Winchester has never done me wrong and having a few extra boxes of 00 sure as hell never hurt. Good find, considering the climate, too.

I've used high end 00 like Hornady TAP FPD w/ Flitecontrol wad, it did kick major ass, but 00 is generally 00.

deximeat

Post by deximeat » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:51 pm

I do have several pieces of rounds in it, It was pretty smooth so far and no problem since using it...

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”