Savage Mk I - Range Report (PICTURES!)

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jackson51
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL OF THEM!

Savage Mk I - Range Report (PICTURES!)

Post by jackson51 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:28 am

A few weeks back I posted a thread about having a sticky chamber on a newly purchased rifle. The problem was resolved (turns out that CCI Stingers are just a hair longer than standard rounds and they were catching in the rifling) and I promised a range report as soon as possible. Well I finally found the time to get out and shoot and was not in any way disappointed.

The rifle mentioned is a Savage MK I G which is chambered in .22lr (A few mixed pics before and after camo wrap)

I recently joined the local rifle and pistol club out here in Minot, North Dakota and this was my first time getting out there to shoot. I work nights, so I'm free during most daylight hours. I went out around 10am and had the range to myself. I was on the shorter of their two rifle ranges (about 100 yards). The other gun pictured is a Rossi Wizard with a .243 Win barrel on it.

After getting sighted in at approximately 50 yards...I started to get a bit chilly since it was a bit below freezing out. I decided to stay out for a bit longer tho and see if I could get any good groups. The results?

Admittedly, not great. The best group I got (top right) was a little over an inch across. This was by no means the rifle's fault though. It has, as earlier shown, the AccuTrigger which I have measured right at about 3lbs. It is perfectly crisp and has no creep whatsoever. I am extremely happy with it and am looking forward to seeing just how accurate it truly is.

A couple somewhat unrelated things.

Found this .308 brass there. Any idea what the deal is with it? I've never seen such a thing.

Also, having a little fun with the .243. I stated that they were at 80 yards, but walked it off after shooting and it was closer to 100. Forgive the fumbling with the camera.
Giacomo wrote:Ya right, everyone knows that's just an urban legend. Like the easter fairy, tooth bunny and Norway.

BattleVersion
Favorite Zombie Movies: RE Extinction, Night of the living Dead.

Re: Savage Mk I - Range Report (PICTURES!)

Post by BattleVersion » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:41 am

Found this .308 brass there. Any idea what the deal is with it? I've never seen such a thing.
The rifle had a fluted chamber, like a Cetme.
Image Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress

I'm Just Trying To Do The Opposite Of Left,
As Long As There Is The Opposite Of Death.
Tested, And I Might Just Bring The Opposite Of Life,
Till There's No One The Opposite Of Right...
-Fiasco-

jackson51

Post by jackson51 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:43 am

Ah, thought it might be something like that...wasn't sure tho. Is the brass reusable?
Giacomo wrote:Ya right, everyone knows that's just an urban legend. Like the easter fairy, tooth bunny and Norway.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:49 am

Those Savages are nice little shooters. My son has a MKII GL, and I had a MKII FV in a stock from Richard's Microfit, but sold it to my brother a while back.

Were you using sandbags, a pack, or what, for a rest?
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

jackson51

Post by jackson51 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:56 am

Wasn't using anything special...just resting it on my ammo bag. Would have benefited from some sandbags or something.

BattleVersion
Favorite Zombie Movies: RE Extinction, Night of the living Dead.

Post by BattleVersion » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:59 am

jackson51 wrote:Ah, thought it might be something like that...wasn't sure tho. Is the brass reusable?
Seems to be, my buddy shoots his old milsurp through one and then reloads the brass for his bolt-action.
Image Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress

I'm Just Trying To Do The Opposite Of Left,
As Long As There Is The Opposite Of Death.
Tested, And I Might Just Bring The Opposite Of Life,
Till There's No One The Opposite Of Right...
-Fiasco-

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:03 am

Does your rifle have a freefloated barrel? If so one would think the tape would mess with the float.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

jackson51

Post by jackson51 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:09 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Does your rifle have a freefloated barrel? If so one would think the tape would mess with the float.
No, not yet. The wrap was just a fun for now sort of thing...I'll probably pull it off sooner or later and float it.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:12 am

Yeah, the tape could pull down on the barrel. Nothing to floating them, I've used a sanding flap wheel for a drill to do a few rifle stocks. You've got to be careful if you want it to look good, though.

And yeah, A set of proper sandbags will definitely help to tighten groups up.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

jackson51

Post by jackson51 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Now do you suggest buying some sandbags, or making my own? It seems like an old sock or something full of rice...or sand for that matter would work just as well as any that you could buy.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:36 pm

I bought a set once, but found it wasn't enough for a lot of the shooting I do.

I've got some I made from old heavy wool socks I never wore, with a poly bag inside of a poly bag, filled with sand, stuffed inside. I like them; the fairly open weave on the wool doesn't hold sand and dirt like the suede padding on some store-bought sandbags, so it won't scratch up the stocks on some of my nicer stuff.

If you know anyone who reloads shotgun shells, the bags lead shot comes in make great sandbags too.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”