Anyone else getting a Tavor?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dark Angel

Anyone else getting a Tavor?

Post by Dark Angel » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:52 am

Should be released shortly after SHOT with a little luck. :awesome: I can't wait for my preorder # to get called. I've wanted one since I was little :clap:

RIP HK33K and Pathfinder Paul. You guys will be missed.

mantis

Re: Anyone else getting a Tavor?

Post by mantis » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:19 am

Not me. Too pricy. They've been available here for a few years and they still cost around $2,500. If I want a bullpup - I'll go with an $900 Norinco T97:

Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Post by Dasho101 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:52 am

just so u know... i hate you Canadians with your Chinese made products that we cant get any more.
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:25 pm

The Tavor TAR 21 is certainly on my lust list as I fully intend to buy a new rifle come tax season that is more modern than my current collection and probably a .223/5.56 that takes AR magazines, mostly for coyote but it could make its way into the camp gun rotation.
The T97 (depending on availability and if it actualy makes it in this time) is certainly on the short list.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

Captain Hero

Post by Captain Hero » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:28 pm

I wish we could get a type 97. The Tavor looks good, but I'd like to get a type 97 chambered int he 5.8x42, if we could get ammo for it. :(
If you live nothing, you are nothing

oh58mech
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by oh58mech » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Ehh? 8-)

http://www.israel-weapon.com/default.as ... 40d0422%7D

Just in time to be outlawed... :vmad:
"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a brave man just one"
"Time to nut up or shut up"
"When in doubt, waste a scout"

Alpha-17
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Afterlife
28 Weeks Later

Post by Alpha-17 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:34 pm

The Tavor is on my short list of weapons to buy, and is the only one in 5.56. I'll probably hold out until at least the fall, but it's still something I'd like to pick up.
THE LATEST AND GREATEST IN TACTICAL GEAR WON'T SAVE YOUR LIFE...... BUT, HEY, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SURVIVING IN STYLE?

7.62 NATO/.308 Fanboy

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Yeah, I want one to go along with my IDF clone AR......And of course I'll have to get a MOR sight for the Tavor.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Captain Hero

Post by Captain Hero » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:26 am

The more I see these, the more I want one. Its still not as high as I thought it would be, but it hasnt hit gunbroker just yet. :roll:
If you live nothing, you are nothing

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:11 am

I kind of feel like the timing is in this rifle's favor. Two month's ago the math would have been clear- you could get two decent AR's and a case of ammo for $2,000. You were buying a shorter overall length and ergos that arguably aren't quite as good. Now, while hobby-grade AR's are selling at gun show for $1500 apiece like dockside hookers on fleet week, it doesn't seem so bad in comparison to pay $500 more for something exotic.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:28 pm

It's piston. I'm mostly sold on getting one when I can afford it.

OK, the whole action pulls out the ass by opening the buttplate. Now I'm really sold on it.

Trigger assembly drops out the bottom the same way.

I like how the IDF version, which costs $500 more, has a holo sight/short rail directly connected to the barrel. I imagine that's for keeping zero when the barrel heats up.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/29008594/Tavo ... rer-Manual
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
crypto wrote:No honest man needs to staple more than 10 pages.
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Where the hell can I pre-order one?
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Sledgecrowbar wrote:It's piston. I'm mostly sold on getting one when I can afford it.

OK, the whole action pulls out the ass by opening the buttplate. Now I'm really sold on it.

Trigger assembly drops out the bottom the same way.

I like how the IDF version, which costs $500 more, has a holo sight/short rail directly connected to the barrel. I imagine that's for keeping zero when the barrel heats up.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/29008594/Tavo ... rer-Manual

Its actually a Meprolight M21 reflex sight with the bullseye reticle. They are attached to the barrel to hold zero if it is swapped to a different caliber or taken down for maintenance. They are releasing a short rail this summer btw.
Bearcat wrote:Where the hell can I pre-order one?
Pretty well everywhere is sold out on preorders. Copes Dist. had all their preorders sell in the space of 2 weeks. That said, I'll hopefully be doing a review on mine when I get it next month. (provided I can find ammo)

mantis

Post by mantis » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:56 pm

They've been available up here for about five years now. If not for the price-tag they would be flying off shelves because of the non-restricted classification. The problem is that they cost between $2,500 and $2,750. For that price you will be able to get 2 or 3 T97s. Srprisingly, you can even get a non-restricted Kriss Vector chambered in .45ACP for around $2,300 which is still cheaper than the Tavor.

Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."

Sledgecrowbar
Favorite Zombie Movies: I actually had WWZ up here way, way before it was actually announced. That was a pretty tremendous let-down. Seriously, read the book, it is one of the best things I've ever read.

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Nerf makes less-tacticool guns than that. What's in all the space between the mag well and the grip?
Braxton wrote:Well my days of not taking ZS seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
Brotherbadger wrote:
Just get a two ring binder. It's perfect for close range paper holding, and it won't go through drywall. Not to mention the sound of you opening and closing it will make the paper automatically fall in line.

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:26 pm

Sledgecrowbar wrote:Nerf makes less-tacticool guns than that. What's in all the space between the mag well and the grip?
The barrel and FCG linkage. As for tacticool, this has been the standard rifle of the israeli army for years.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:02 pm

Dark Angel wrote:
Sledgecrowbar wrote:Nerf makes less-tacticool guns than that. What's in all the space between the mag well and the grip?
The barrel and FCG linkage. As for tacticool, this has been the standard rifle of the israeli army for years.
I could be wrong.....But I believe he may have been referring to that picture of the Kriss Vector-thingy. :?

As for the M21 reflex sight, it's a decent little sight and I have the "CH" model on my IDF 653 clone.

But if/when I get a U.S. legal Tavor, it's getting a MOR tri-power:http://www.themakogroup.com/product_p/mepro%20mor.htm

:awesome:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:06 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Dark Angel wrote:
I could be wrong.....But I believe he may have been referring to that Kriss pic you posted. :?

As for the M21 reflex sight, it's a decent little sight and I have the "CH" model on my IDF 653 clone.

But if/when I get a U.S. legal Tavor, it's getting a MOR tri-power:http://www.themakogroup.com/product_p/mepro%20mor.htm

:awesome:
I didn't post a pic of the Kriss :oh: but to answer that one, its the recoil system for the rifle. The MOR is nice, but the 1moa dot gets lost pretty darn easy to be honest. Other than that, I do want one :ooh:

mantis

Post by mantis » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:08 pm

From the looks of this disassembled view...it's just a spring and part of the mechanism housed there.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:10 pm

Dark Angel wrote: The MOR is nice, but the 1moa dot gets lost pretty darn easy to be honest. Other than that, I do want one :ooh:
Which reticle is that?

I see that they offer a bulls-eye (what my M21 CH has) and a 3 MOA dot.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:21 am

Turn the dot up to 11 and you'll see it just fine.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Sledgecrowbar

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:56 am

Thanks for the disassembled pic, mantis. I had to look up WTF was going on in there before I finished typing out a rant about wondering why the world needs a .45ACP the size of 2.5 Glocks with half the airsoft catalog glued on. There's a weight in that metal box attached to a bar that connects to the bolt, it transfers recoil downward to help with muzzle flip. From the review video footage, I'm not sold on the gimmick working.

Since I visited the site to learn about the action, I saw fit to link a few action shots.

Let me show you my new door breaching device handgun. I have terrible difficulty regulating body temperature, hence my stylish shemagh and short-sleeve t-shirt. These gloves are just part of my logger-casual work outfit. Also, it's dark outside but I need these sunglasses because I can't find where my hat brim went.

Don't mind me, I'm just a tactical police unit member cradling my fake suppressor-equipped civilian carbine.

I don't always shoot tires, but when I do, I use .45ACP. Also, wearing goggles over your eyes is for pussies.

There isn't enough blue ink in the world.
Brotherbadger wrote:

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:11 am

Go shoot a KRISS and then try to blue text. It runs on G21 mags, runs a round made for suppression, and in FA mode I've seen small-ass females rock and roll it with 0 recoil movement. My old man has one SBR'd, and it's fucking sick for what it is (a PCC.) Y'all know I hate PCCs, especially in semi configuration, but throw some subs and a Osprey on it and it's giggle city. You can find similarly ridiculous mall-ninja pics for any platform. Shit, go look at pics of LAPD running around with tacticool Mini14s, thigh rig holsters, and green kevlar vests (with no sides) while wearing short sleeve shirts.

I know I seem overly defensive, and I'm quite familiar with the weak points in the design (the goofy recoil system for one) but the shit works.

The Tavor, on the other hand has two failings, IMO.

1. Bullpup.
2. Supposedly ships from the factory with E-lander mags, which Dave recently tested. Thing is, those mags dave ordered, which the factory claims were perfectly to spec and absolutely fine for the Tavors wouldn't seat on a closed bolt without a megaslap, to the point where The Mako Group released a long press release about it. The TL:DR of that release was "your guns are out of spec, lolz." Even when downloaded to 28 rounds, he had trouble seating them.
Dave_M wrote:So, according to Mako: my Colt is out of spec. My LMT is out of spec. My PSA is out of spec. My FN SCAR is out of spec.... etc
That leaves me wondering if USGI mags will truly work in these guns, or if they'll fail to lock in and require you to purchase E-lander mags or mod your mags.

I realize point #2 is theoretical. Point one is valid, it's a bullpup and still have the issues that come with that. If it turns out that USGI mags work with 0 issues, then good, I'll be happy to hear it. If it manages to be at least as good a bullpup as the AUG, then I might have to try one. I do not expect either.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Sledgecrowbar

Post by Sledgecrowbar » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:28 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:the shit works.
That's worth renting one for a few boxes of ammo. I withhold further judgement until I can find one, which probably won't happen soon around here. I had some snark to burn off and those pics were fair game, though.
Brotherbadger wrote:

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”