Ruger 10/22

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

irondog068

Ruger 10/22

Post by irondog068 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:36 am

I have a Ruger 10/22 and just bought the Archangel 223 kit. I liked the Nomad kit but all the reviews I read about the magazine that came with it left me weak. I want to make one more Zombie killing 10/22. I saw Red Jackets ZK-22 and it is pricey but does it look like it will do the job.

Anyone have any other thoughts on 10/22 conversions?

Thanks
Irondog

GT77

Re: Ruger 10/22

Post by GT77 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:46 am

I had that kit on mine for a while. Didnt like it much cause of the stock wobble. Also kinda heavy (I also have a heavy barrel)
I put my houge stock back on and am much more pleased.

irondog068

Post by irondog068 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Hmm,
That's a bummer. I read a lot of reviews and never heard that. Don't have a heavy barrel though. I don't mind it being a little heavier since I like the feel of an AR-15. Which I don't think I will ever own due to the cost.

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:44 pm

GT77 wrote:I had that kit on mine for a while. Didn't like it much cause of the stock wobble. Also kinda heavy (I also have a heavy barrel)
I put my Houge stock back on and am much more pleased.
You had the original 556 kit, or the newer Nomad(used to be called the Marauder) GT77?

I had the 556 for some time, and it was a decent stock. Good polymer used in the construction, the buttstock had a decent slide-lock and didn't flex, and it didn't ding or scratch too bad.

In fact, I liked it enough that I probably would have kept it, but I'm going to be stepping up to the Nomad next I think. Same polymer in use, IIRC.

The Red Jacket ZK22 kinda turns me off because it just isn't customizable enough for my taste, and I have a general disregard for most bullpups(excluding the Kel-Tec RFB :wink: ).

With the ZK22 I wouldn't be able to change the length of pull, change the top rail, or choose a different shaped vertical foregrip. With the Nomad I can do all those things, hell, I can even swap out the buttstock for something completely different if I'm willing to experiment a little.

What I would eventually like to do is get the Nomad, Ceracote it either flat desert earth, or desert tan, with some flat black on the rails and sights for contrast. Then I would get my new 10/22 SBR'ed so that I could use the much shorter G36c handguard that I already have.

By then I hope to have enough cash from the sale of a car I have to finance the purchase of a Huntertown Arms Kestrel 5.56 suppressor(and a tax stamp) that would be able to do double-duty on both the new 10/22 Nomad SBR, AND my current SBR'ed AK74. This is a fully user-serviceable can, which really is needed when shooting a few mags of filthy .22LR ammo.

When I want to shoot for any sort of distance with the Nomad, I can change the red-dot site to some decent 3 or 4x glass, replace the 7" barrel with an 18" .920 Kidd bull barrel(possibly threaded to accept the can, we'll see), and use the long handguards again so it will look balanced.

I can see myself having a lot of fun with a little set-up like this.

I do enjoy shooting my '74, but man, it is a concussive beast with a party-stopping fireball to boot. A suppressed Nomad would see a lot more range tome, and wouldn't dent my wallet so much to shoot. 7n6 ammo(all I shoot anymore it seems) is jumping right up there in price, and I sure don't want to be left with only a single spam can left to my name.

I think you will be happy with your stock irondog068, just make sure you keep the bayonet and the fake flash suppressor within reach in case you ever decide to sell it to someone else, you will stand a better chance of making most of your money back if you retain those pieces.

If you ever do decide to change things up, keep your eyes open for a Zimmerman Arms 'Rezolution'. They are no longer in production, but are the bees knee's when it comes to 10/22 stocks/receivers.

Sorry I talked everyone's ears off, I have a slight sprain and took two Percocets and a muscle relaxer earlier, and am feeling mellow right now before bed.

G'night all.

-urban
Last edited by URBAN ASSAULT on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:09 am

My only issue with the ZK-22 (I ordered one) is that nobody has gotten it yet. :evil:
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

irondog068

Post by irondog068 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 am

I am on the fence if for my next 10/22 I want the ZK-22 or the Archangel Nomad. Maybe I will let my wife pick. In theory the second one will be hers :wink:

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:47 pm

DJH wrote:My only issue with the ZK-22 (I ordered one) is that nobody has gotten it yet. :evil:
Starting to trickle in.

http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=1496.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

homerj109
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead

Post by homerj109 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:32 am

I have the Nomad but run the new ruger 25 rd mags, the magazine that came with the kit is garbage.

I also didn't like the sights so I swapped it out with a flat top rail I found at an airsoft site and added the magpul MBUS. I had to file down the front sight post to be able to zero it since the sights are too high up to use. For just a plinker it does fine, I still am looking out for a UTG metal flat top rail to replace the airsoft one I have but they have dried up and I havent been able to find one yet.

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:39 am

homerj109 wrote:I have the Nomad but run the new ruger 25 rd mags, the magazine that came with the kit is garbage.

I also didn't like the sights so I swapped it out with a flat top rail I found at an airsoft site and added the magpul MBUS. I had to file down the front sight post to be able to zero it since the sights are too high up to use. For just a plinker it does fine, I still am looking out for a UTG metal flat top rail to replace the airsoft one I have but they have dried up and I havent been able to find one yet.
Since you have a Nomad, does it seem like a solid piece of kit? I know not to expect the strength of a mil-spec G36(or even close :lol: ), but I'm interested in basic construction quality.

Things like your impressions when it comes to possible warping, bendage, flimsiness, etc... anything would come in handy.

I already heard that the mag that comes with the Nomad is better used for target practice, but I only use Butler Creek Hot/Steel lips or TI-25's so that's a moot point.

Thanks in advance.

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

irondog068

Post by irondog068 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:17 am

I put the Archangel AR 223 kit on my 10/22. Pretty god damn solid. I can fit the standard Ruger 10 round mags in it without a problem. I ordered a trimag holder just to see if it would work with the stock. If it does I can finally organize all my loose 10 round magazines. Archangel has 25 round magazines but I have heard mixed reviews. I have 2 different 25 round magazines and all they do is jam. Waiting for my back ordered Ruger 25 round mags.

Irondog

homerj109

Post by homerj109 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:48 pm

I was surprised at the quality of the plastic for the nomad. It was kind of a pain to install, I had to sand down a few places here and there but it is rock solid now although I don't ever want to have to take it off again. The stock locks up really solid and there isnt any woble or anything like that, the seams are nice and smooth too.

The only issue I have had was with one of the screws/nuts that came with the kit that are used to secure the flat top to the receiver. One of them stripped very easily to the point where I had to slip in a piece of duct tape to give the screw something to grip into. I haven't taken the time to try to find anything I can replace these with but this is something you may consider trying to pick up at a home depot or something. The flash suppressor that you pin on is also not that great, my rifle took a small drop while I was cleaning it and the 3 prong flash suppressor got bent in a tiny bit and now there is a noticeable wobble to it if you touch it. Looks to be a soft aluminum so the durability of it is questionable. The wobble isn't noticeable unless you grab it so it didn't bother me too much.

I ended up putting more into this stock (replaced the rail and sights) than I wanted or intended and this is still just a plinker for me, I cant speak to the durability because I haven't ran it very hard but this is not something I would expect to withstand much abuse. If I had to do it all over again I would probably get the AR 15 style archangel stock or something else. But the cool factor and looks are enough to win me over and keep me from replacing the stock and it is just a plinker.

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:40 pm

homerj109 wrote:I was surprised at the quality of the plastic for the Nomad. It was kind of a pain to install, I had to sand down a few places here and there but it is rock solid now although I don't ever want to have to take it off again. The stock locks up really solid and there isn't any wobble or anything like that, the seams are nice and smooth too.

The only issue I have had was with one of the screws/nuts that came with the kit that are used to secure the flat top to the receiver. One of them stripped very easily to the point where I had to slip in a piece of duct tape to give the screw something to grip into. I haven't taken the time to try to find anything I can replace these with but this is something you may consider trying to pick up at a home depot or something. The flash suppressor that you pin on is also not that great, my rifle took a small drop while I was cleaning it and the 3 prong flash suppressor got bent in a tiny bit and now there is a noticeable wobble to it if you touch it. Looks to be a soft aluminum so the durability of it is questionable. The wobble isn't noticeable unless you grab it so it didn't bother me too much.

I ended up putting more into this stock (replaced the rail and sights) than I wanted or intended and this is still just a plinker for me, I can't speak to the durability because I haven't ran it very hard but this is not something I would expect to withstand much abuse. If I had to do it all over again I would probably get the AR 15 style archangel stock or something else. But the cool factor and looks are enough to win me over and keep me from replacing the stock and it is just a plinker.
Thank for the updated review.

It looks like it would be a pain to disassemble on a regular basis for cleaning, so like I did with the Archangel 556 I previously owned, I think I would leave it together most of the time and just hose it out with Gunscrubber.

I do like the idea of putting a flat-top on it to get rid of the original sights, and then maybe putting on a set of Magpul BUIS(or knock-offs :lol: ).

Their cheesy Archangel Nomad flash-hider isn't an issue, because I'll have the 10/22 barrels(18" & 7") threaded to accept a suppressor, so I'll be able to use an real flash-suppressor.

All in all I still think I'll get one, but I know it ain't going to be the perfect set-up. I wish I could go back in time and buy that Zimmerman Rezolution receiver from a local guy for 150 bucks, but I passed like a dunce. That would have beaten the Nomad to death in the quality department, but hindsight is always 20/20!

-urban
3%

homerj109

Post by homerj109 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:13 am

Yeah it is such a pain to disassemble that I hose it down with gunscrubber or WD40, I have noticed some build up I cant get out but so far it hasn't resulted in any malfunctions.

I have been toying with buying these to mount my MBUS on but I think the rail on the receiver may be too narrow for these to clamp on to:
http://www.botachtactical.com/utg2meprrimo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your threaded barrel will be a huge plus for the kit and it sounds like you will like it, you can't beat the cool factor as far as 10/22s go for this.

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:54 am

homerj109 wrote:Yeah it is such a pain to disassemble that I hose it down with gunscrubber or WD40, I have noticed some build up I cant get out but so far it hasn't resulted in any malfunctions.

I have been toying with buying these to mount my MBUS on but I think the rail on the receiver may be too narrow for these to clamp on to:
http://www.botachtactical.com/utg2meprrimo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your threaded barrel will be a huge plus for the kit and it sounds like you will like it, you can't beat the cool factor as far as 10/22s go for this.
After looking at them via the link I think they might be way too high if you want to put a set of BUIS on them, only a snooty French super model with cheekbones as high as the Eiffel tower would be able to attain that cheekweld.

The upside is that you'd only be out $15 for the experiment, so why not give 'em a shot just to see what happens.

-urban
3%

irondog068

Re: Ruger 10/22 now Magazines

Post by irondog068 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:23 pm

What is the best 25 round magazine. I got 2 and the suck. I went back to 10 round magazines. I see Ruger has a 25 round magazine but I cannot get one. What is the best aftermarket magazine?

Irondog

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:26 pm

irondog068 wrote:What is the best 25 round magazine. I got 2 and the suck. I went back to 10 round magazines. I see Ruger has a 25 round magazine but I cannot get one. What is the best aftermarket magazine?

Irondog

Hold out for those bx-25 ruger mags. Imo they are worth the wait. I haven't had much luck with other brands.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

irondog068

Post by irondog068 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:07 pm

That is mt thought. Cabelas has a 2 to 4 week lead time on a them.

BattleVersion
Favorite Zombie Movies: RE Extinction, Night of the living Dead.

Post by BattleVersion » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:29 pm

irondog068 wrote:What is the best 25 round magazine. I got 2 and the suck. I went back to 10 round magazines. I see Ruger has a 25 round magazine but I cannot get one. What is the best aftermarket magazine?

Irondog
My Butler Creek steel lips have been G2G, with the exception of one I left loaded for a month or so, it never worked right after that...
Image Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress

I'm Just Trying To Do The Opposite Of Left,
As Long As There Is The Opposite Of Death.
Tested, And I Might Just Bring The Opposite Of Life,
Till There's No One The Opposite Of Right...
-Fiasco-

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:01 pm

I've had no issues with the Butler Creek steel lip mags.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:54 pm

I'm sorely tempted by the M1 carbine lookalike stock. With a decent aperture sight, that'd be a sweet setup... and it wouldn't have the "evil" look either. :crazy:
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:07 am

Irondog
The very best?

Tactical Innovations TI-25 advanced composite 25-rounders.

Super tough to handle abuse, I mean they advertise them by driving a vehicle over the mag body! Stainless steel feed lips. Designed so you can take it apart for ease of cleaning, and it has adjustable screws so you can get the perfect fit for your weapons magwell.

What's not to love?

For one thing, the current price. Before the gun ban panic these excellent mags were selling for $34.95 and were worth every penny. I was getting ready to make another order of 10 mags myself a week before the Sandy Hook shooting. Now because demand outstrips supply the price has risen to $69.99

TI themselves even say on their own website to not order from them right now because the price is so high, but I doubt that is going to stop panicked gun-owners from ordering.

The thing to consider is while spending $70 on a mag can be considered terrible NOW, how much is the same mag going to cost you AFTER a magazine ban is implemented, which I think has much more of a chance of being agreed upon than an 'Assault-Weapons' Bill.

Much to consider.

-urban
3%

irondog068

Post by irondog068 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:11 am

Gonna order a couple of the Ruger ones from Cabelas this Thursday. 1 weekk lead time.

homerj109

Post by homerj109 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:49 pm

URBAN ASSAULT wrote:
homerj109 wrote:Yeah it is such a pain to disassemble that I hose it down with gunscrubber or WD40, I have noticed some build up I cant get out but so far it hasn't resulted in any malfunctions.

After looking at them via the link I think they might be way too high if you want to put a set of BUIS on them, only a snooty French super model with cheekbones as high as the Eiffel tower would be able to attain that cheekweld.

The upside is that you'd only be out $15 for the experiment, so why not give 'em a shot just to see what happens.

-urban
These would go onto the receiver rail the flat top rail slides on to, you are right these on the flat top would be useless. This receiver rail is narrower than a standard picitinny rail which is what I am worried about as far as fit.

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Have you seen this, might get you closer to what you need for your BUIS...
http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=36003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-urban
3%

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”