Good long range, large caliber rifle.

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Unobtainium

Re: Good long range, large caliber rifle.

Post by Unobtainium » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:09 am

Pffft. A pathetic 2000 yards on the K98. The mighty Enfield volley sights have another 800 on that.

When you really need to reach out and touch something, Enfield FTMFW!!!

minengr

Post by minengr » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:29 am

Wanting to get to 1K for $1K with a factory rifle and ammo? I'm not going to say it can't be done, because it probably has, but I'd plan on spending more money.

You could probably get into a used 700 or Savage 10fp (308), super sniper 10x, decent rings, bases, and Federal GMM for $1k. That will allow you to sling lead that far, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. You should learn to walk before you try to run.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:23 am

Doc Torr wrote:
crypto wrote:Image

.303 British or you're doing it wrong. No scope needed.
K98 or GTFO

I know you guys are goofing around, but i've actually killed deer with both of those. :lol: It was a little weird at first shooting deer with a gun that you know has killed a person before.

As for the OP, i don't think 1000 yards is that realistic of a standard for hunting. Maybe it's because i grew up hunting in the Midwest and South(not exactly a lot of 1000 yard shots around here), but i won't take a shot over 300 -400 yards -max- for fear of injuring the animal and not being able to recover it. If you havent' already, go to a range that has a 500 yard target, and set up a dinner plate sized target out there. That's about as large of an area that you have to work with if you want a clean kill. If you can consistently hit that, you can hunt at that distance. If not, you are only going to wound the animal and -if you recover the game- probably have a lot of testosterone filled meat that will be extremely gamey. That being said, my M70 in 7mm Rem Mag shoots flat and has yet to have a deer run more than 30 yards on me. Of course, i'd like to caulk that up to operator skill. :mrgreen:

Also, if you are serious about long range hunting, make sure to get into reloading. It will allow you to shoot a lot more for the $$(which WILL GET EXPENSIVE if you get a large caliber gun), and the more you practice, the better your shots will be.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:45 am

Brotherbadger wrote:I know you guys are goofing around, but i've actually killed deer with both of those. :lol: It was a little weird at first shooting deer with a gun that you know has killed a person before.
I hate to break this to you but every surplus rifle you have ever owned was carried by the guy who shat his pants and ran away at the first sign of the enemy. Now MY Lithgow was used from the cockpit of a P-38 to kill Yamamoto.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:11 am

Kommander wrote:
Brotherbadger wrote:I know you guys are goofing around, but i've actually killed deer with both of those. :lol: It was a little weird at first shooting deer with a gun that you know has killed a person before.
I hate to break this to you but every surplus rifle you have ever owned was carried by the guy who shat his pants and ran away at the first sign of the enemy. Now MY Lithgow was used from the cockpit of a P-38 to kill Yamamoto.

Only the French ones.

Ansgar

Post by Ansgar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:57 am

munchie3409 wrote:The 50BMG is never going to win any accuracy competitions.
Not to be an ass, but just as a point of counterargument on this, as it is my belief that training, skill and compensation for the firing environment make a considerable difference in accuracy that can, in some (not all or even most, but SOME) cases be more important than caliber if the calibers are similar enough.

Rob Furlong held the record for longest confirmed sniper kill (third shot, second hit) for 7 years, 8 months (March 2002 - November 2009) with a .50BMG round fired from a McMillan Brothers Tac-50 using Hornady A-MAX 750gr rounds until his record (2,340m) was broken by Craig Harrison by a distance of 45 meters (record still stands).

I only mention it because you mentioned competition and the Guinness World Records are, in my opinion, the hardest competition in just about anything. YMMV, results not typical, etc.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:56 am

I'd like to add this,.. Just because you have the up front cash to drop on a ridiculous expensive setup in a super long range caliber, doesn't mean you can afford to shoot enough to get the experience you want to have. Even rich guys bitch about feeding their long range boutique caliber rifles. For example,.. 338 Lapua. Its expensive even reloading. Usually takes 90+ grains of any suitable powder and .338 cal bullet ain't as cheap as some other calibers. I say go with .308 for the "cheap to keep" factor. If you ever start reloading, 30 cal bullets aren't expensive and take, on average, less half the powder of something like 338 lapua. Off the shelf ammo isn't going to break the bank and there's a wide variety to choose from. Not to mention all the info out there on shooting .308. I'm not a 30 cal or go home kind of guy,.. but 308 it has its merits for sure.

As for distance,.. if you can shoot tight groups out to 300 yards, you're a tough enough in anyone's book.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:37 am

Ansgar wrote:
Not to be an ass, but just as a point of counterargument on this, as it is my belief that training, skill and compensation for the firing environment make a considerable difference in accuracy that can, in some (not all or even most, but SOME) cases be more important than caliber if the calibers are similar enough.

Rob Furlong held the record for longest confirmed sniper kill (third shot, second hit) for 7 years, 8 months (March 2002 - November 2009) with a .50BMG round fired from a McMillan Brothers Tac-50 using Hornady A-MAX 750gr rounds until his record (2,340m) was broken by Craig Harrison by a distance of 45 meters (record still stands).

I only mention it because you mentioned competition and the Guinness World Records are, in my opinion, the hardest competition in just about anything. YMMV, results not typical, etc.
Most long shots like these are "hey, watch this shit." or "I wonder if I can hit that guy" shots when presented a target breaking ROE at a long distance.

Not going to say I wouldn't not have done the same shit.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:41 am

Ansgar wrote:

Psh. Amateurs. Carlos Hathcock did it at 2090m. With an M2. In 1967.

Also COH Harrison's record was broken this year by an Australian with an M82 at 2800m.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

HuntingBow96

Post by HuntingBow96 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:15 am

Browning 35 wrote:Yeah, without knowing more it's hard to say.

Personally I'd start with a Savage 110FP in .308 Win and a 3-9x40 and start working my way up.

The longer range Savage and Rem rifles in .308, .270, .260 Rem, and 30-06 are good places to start.
So much resemblance to an air rifle :o

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:21 am

HuntingBow96 wrote:

Personally I'd start with a Savage 110FP in .308 Win and a 3-9x40 and start working my way up.

[img]

The longer range Savage and Rem rifles in .308, .270, .260 Rem, and 30-06 are good places to start.
What? You mean that ugly grey stock?

Yeah, not exactly beautiful by anyone's definition. It is functional though. If the owner/user doesn't like it then they could always paint it.

FDE is the new black. Or so it seems.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:26 am

Browning 35 wrote:
HuntingBow96 wrote:

[img]

What? You mean that ugly grey stock?

Yeah, not exactly beautiful by anyone's definition. It is functional though. If the owner/user doesn't like it then they could always paint it.

FDE is the new black. Or so it seems.

Just a word to the wise, get the 10FP unless you're getting it in a giant caliber. The shorter action vs the 110FP is great. I hate savage long-action guns, but love all 3 of my short-actions :D
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

FelixArchon

Post by FelixArchon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:36 pm

Just my .02, but forget about a large caliber bolt gun, and get yourself a decent bull upper for your AR.

This is gonna sound pretentious as all hell, and I admit that my recent range trips have hammered home that I'm not very good with a rifle right now. But if you're serious about hitting targets at long ranges, you're going to be spending cumulative weeks at the range, and thousands of dollars just on ammunition (especially when you graduate to match-grade ammo). If you're pinching pennies on the initial outlay for the job you want to do, it really just screams that you don't know much about the job you want to do.

If all you want is the best possible "sniper rifle" you can get for $1K, you're not going to be able to do better than a Savage 110 in .308. Get some decent rings, and slap on a 10x fixed power from SWFA's Super Sniper line. MOST IMPORTANTLY, find a good gunsmith (ask the old guys at the range who they use) and give him a Ben or two to bed, polish, and tinker. But unless you're already into the marksmanship thing, my money says that rifle will end up a safe queen. Because aside from being able to take shots you're not good enough to make, that rifle is expensive to feed, kicks like a mule, and is really not much fun to shoot. Most like, you'll end up looking like a beginner trying to play a 12-string.

If you're serious about long range shooting, the right thing for you to do at this point is to get decent bull-barrel upper for you AR (with glass as above), start at 100 yards, and keep shooting until you're reliably on target at 500 yards, come rain, wind or dark of night. It will take longer to get there than you think, but with a fun, easy to shoot rifle, you'll enjoy the trip and keep moving forward on it.

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:59 pm

crypto wrote:Just a word to the wise, get the 10FP unless you're getting it in a giant caliber. The shorter action vs the 110FP is great. I hate savage long-action guns, but love all 3 of my short-actions :D
I always hear that about short actions, but it really never made that much of a difference to me.

Then again I'm not operating the bolt really fast, I'm just slower and deliberate. Have one of those in .270 and I love that gun.

To each their own, but I've never felt that the long actions were really *that* much longer than the short.
FelixArchon wrote:Just my .02, but forget about a large caliber bolt gun, and get yourself a decent bull upper for your AR.

This is gonna sound pretentious as all hell, and I admit that my recent range trips have hammered home that I'm not very good with a rifle right now. But if you're serious about hitting targets at long ranges, you're going to be spending cumulative weeks at the range, and thousands of dollars just on ammunition (especially when you graduate to match-grade ammo). If you're pinching pennies on the initial outlay for the job you want to do, it really just screams that you don't know much about the job you want to do.
Only thing is that on semi's there's that urge to expend more ammo.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some longer range AR's where NASA calls YOU when they want to take a look at Venus and excuses to buy another gun automatically get a pass from me. However if he's really trying to concentrate on getting better at long range shooting going with a full power bolt action is the way to go.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Semi/bolt, doesn't matter. If you want to improve, you'll make the effort. The same amount of ammunition will be spent whether it requires manipulating the action or not. If he doesn't have the discipline to not mag dump on a target at 1Km, he doesn't have the discipline to shoot at that range anyway.

FelixArchon

Post by FelixArchon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:38 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:Semi/bolt, doesn't matter. If you want to improve, you'll make the effort. The same amount of ammunition will be spent whether it requires manipulating the action or not. If he doesn't have the discipline to not mag dump on a target at 1Km, he doesn't have the discipline to shoot at that range anyway.
This.

My underlying point is that high caliber 'sniper rifles' are really not much fun to shoot. If you just want a rifle with long-range capabilities, fine. By all means proceed. I've got one too. Mine is a safe-queen, because it's expensive to feed, kicks like a mule, and is not much fun to shoot.

If you really want to shoot better (long range or short), you probably don't need a new rifle, you just need to shoot more. Solve the problem by owning guns that you WANT to go shoot, because shooting them is fun. Read: an AR with a suitable upper. .223 will do just fine out to the 500 yards or so that most amateurs (and the USMC) consider 'good enough.'

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Ehh..not really talking about mag dumps. Just shooting faster than what he can process to actually learn something.

Unless it's one of those >.45 cal African double rifles built for hunting dangerous game it really shouldn't 'kick like a mule', if you think that the recoil on a .308 or a 30-06 is that excessive then you really don't shoot enough.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:17 pm

AUA wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:
crypto wrote:Image

.303 British or you're doing it wrong. No scope needed.
K98 or GTFO
Arisaka anti-aircraft sights or GTFO
Bitches. Do it with a pistol.

I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:25 pm

I shoot longer ranges on a regular basis, nbrsa, f-class, and camp/highpower. One constant in any of these disciplines is that a ten cent shooter with a ten thousand dollar rig will make a ten cent shot every time.

I will reiterate something that has been mentioned here already. If you want to get good at extreme range then you have to build up the shooter not the tool. The best way to do that is practice.

A group of us have our own version of mini-sniping - our rules are shotgun hulls in various calibers spread randomly from 50-200 yards. 10 targets, 10 rounds 22lr only and nothing over 10x glass. Sounds easy enough, go try it in west Texas wind and @ best guess ranges.
You will learn windage, you will learn elevation and you will get better

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:29 pm

SRO1911 wrote:I shoot longer ranges on a regular basis, nbrsa, f-class, and camp/highpower. One constant in any of these disciplines is that a ten cent shooter with a ten thousand dollar rig will make a ten cent shot every time.

I will reiterate something that has been mentioned here already. If you want to get good at extreme range then you have to build up the shooter not the tool. The best way to do that is practice.

A group of us have our own version of mini-sniping - our rules are shotgun hulls in various calibers spread randomly from 50-200 yards. 10 targets, 10 rounds 22lr only and nothing over 10x glass. Sounds easy enough, go try it in west Texas wind and @ best guess ranges.
On the note of .22s, if you haven't seen it yet, you should check out the link I posted on the last page. About "Tactical Precision Rimfire" shooting.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:00 pm

TravisM.1 wrote:
SRO1911 wrote:I shoot longer ranges on a regular basis, nbrsa, f-class, and camp/highpower. One constant in any of these disciplines is that a ten cent shooter with a ten thousand dollar rig will make a ten cent shot every time.

On the note of .22s, if you haven't seen it yet, you should check out the link I posted on the last page. About "Tactical Precision Rimfire" shooting.
I need to shoot some more .22 at 50 meters instead of 25 on the alt c target with my analog and Eotech.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:33 pm

Lol...I never should have said easily. I understand I need to work up to it, I'm very good up to 200yds with my AR, never stretched it past that. There is a lot of solid advice in here even if some of you are assholes. I mean that affectionately.
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

RAKKASAN SNIPER
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead

Post by RAKKASAN SNIPER » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:10 am

i would get a 308 bolt rifle say a remmy 700,quality glass maybe nightforce or leupold mk4, then practice....a lot 1000 yards is a lofty goal. most people cant hit at 500 with any consistancy. you should be able to set up a good rig for $2500. start @ 200 then work your way out. keep very detailed notes on your result aka data of previous engaugments. keep track of distances,wind speed and value,weather and what not. good luck

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:39 am

I just picked up a new Remington 770 .30-06 with a cheapo scope yesterday for $304.11 brand new. I am looking forward to going and shooting off a few rounds. I chose .30-06 as it has a bit more powerful of a cartridge then the .308 which is essentially the same diameter but smaller cartridge. plus a box of ammo is only $17.00 vs $21.00 for the .308 and you can find .30-06 anywhere.

this isnt my photo, but it is the same gun as i bought.

"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”