How many rifle mags for BOB? Full size AK or SBR?

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

alfred10

Post by alfred10 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:10 am

How many mags are you carrying in your bug out bag? How much loose ammo? Right now have an AK full size folder. Should I go with an AK 103 SBR or AMD 65 SBR for weight savings? Wondering how many rounds you guys are carrying.

Rogue45

Re: How many rifle mags for BOB? Full size AK or SBR?

Post by Rogue45 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:26 pm

I carry 6 mags in my vest, 1 in the weapon, and a 2 in the BoB. If I can't get the job done with 270rds... (Technically 90rds without the LBV) I have bigger problems.
Last edited by Rogue45 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

mantis

Post by mantis » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:15 am

What is with all theses weird questions? You keep popping up, posting questions like this and then disappearing until you post your next question. How many mags? It depends. Maybe none. Not all bugout situations require firearms and those that do 99.99999% will not involve any sort of combat. If I had to bug out (not likely) and if there was a serious security situation - zombies, aliens, invaders, etc....I would have six spare mags in my load bearing vest (either AR, M14 or CZ-858 type) plus one in the rifle.

As far as your choice of rifle goes....nobody can answer that for you. You need to determine what the likely uses for the rifle are and then choose one that meets those needs the best.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

JesterODX
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gotta be Dawn of the Dead or Shawn of the Dead. But I will opt for anything Romero.

Post by JesterODX » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:05 am

With a bad back I'd opt for my lightest weight rifle/ammo combo. AR over an AK type thing... But My web gear has four double mag pouches so eight plus the one in the rifle. I only have a spare 50 round box of nine mil for my pistol in the bag.
JesterODX
"The Great and Powerful"

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:36 am

alfred10 wrote:How many mags are you carrying in your bug out bag? How much loose ammo? Right now have an AK full size folder. Should I go with an AK 103 SBR or AMD 65 SBR for weight savings? Wondering how many rounds you guys are carrying.
What exactly are you planning to do? Where are you planning on going? What kind of situation are you expecting? Having a general plan of "I am grabbing my rifle and going" isn't really much of a plan. And wandering down the street with an AK and a bunch of magazines in the middle of a crisis is a great way to attract all the wrong kinds of attention. I would spend more time planning, and less time worrying about if my gun matches my outfit. I have had to evacuate several times for fires. The first time I took a small arsenal, and enough ammunition to invade a banana republic. The second time I took less. The third time I just grabbed one handgun and an extra magazine as an afterthought. That was it. By that time I had figured out that there were more important things to get out, like the computers and picture albums. In the event of another evacuation, I doubt I will bother to take more than that. I don't need enough firepower to hold off hordes of zombies. I just need enough to convince the goblins to go elsewhere. Besides, at this point we are more geared up to bug-in instead. I would rather hole up in a secure location than head out to the hills where there is little water, less food, no real law enforcement, and every wacko with Rambo or Deliverence fantasies out running around with guns and the idea that it is the end of the world, and laws don't apply anymore.

Now, as for how many magazines, if you have answered all of the questions I asked at the begining of my rant, you should be able to answer your own question. It is however many you will need to accomplish your goals. If I had to fight my way through the giant space ant invasion to get home, I would probably take more. If all I had to do was drive home through traffic for a few hours, I would take less. I think I maybe have 3 magazines total in my car's bug out supplies. If I need more than 90 rifle rounds, I have failed somewhere along the line...

-Mb

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:40 am

I have 2 20 rounders, and a thirty in the gun. Spare pistol mag is in the EDC, and one more in my pack.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

LivelyToaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by LivelyToaster » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:30 am

25 rounds 12 Gauge 00 Buck
90 rounds 5.56 (3 mags)
51 rounds 9mm (3 mags)

Got more in my rig, that's just what I carry in the BOB as a just in case ammunition source. Will I ever need it in an average Bug-out day? (I.E. flood, extremely temporary natural disaster) highly doubt it. In the realm of firearms though I like to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

"If the above post does not make sense I might be 99.9% asleep and doing college stuff."

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:10 am

I don't have a BOB.

Both my wife and I have GHB's and INCH bags. Our plan is to bug in for the most part. If we leave its pretty serious and we're not coming back for awhile (if ever), that's what the INCH bags are for.

If we were leaving I'd likely just grab my rifle, vest, pistol and whatnot that resides near my bed. I have 7 mags in total with that gear. 7 thirty rounders, then again with that set up space isn't an issue.

When I used to have a rifle in my truck I remember I changed it around a few times over the course of the years. I think I used to have 4 mags in there at one point, 6 at another. If it were four mags it would have been 3 thirty rounders and one twenty rounder in the case. Space is an issue with that case, so having a 30 round mag loaded while it was in the case wasn't possible.

Here's a pic of how I had it...

Now I just have a $130 12 Ga. Pump Shotgun in there that I lock and unlock when I get in. For that I have 60 shells. 50 rds of buck and 10 slugs.

Most disasters or emergencies aren't going to require guns though, but I figure if they do I'll be pretty well armed with my CHL guns (a BHP and a .32ACP pistol with a spare mag for each) and that shotgun.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:37 am

None, I keep the mags with the rifle.
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

shoggoth80
Favorite Zombie Movies: Too many to list in total. The Romero films are classic... but Fido cracks me up!

Post by shoggoth80 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:50 am

These questions tend to pop up often...but I still have fun
with them. Rifle wise...1 in the gun, and probably no more
Than 4 in a support rig or pack. That's 150 rounds of
gnarly. That is the most extreme situation I can think of mind you.
In pistol terms...one in the gun, 2 spares and a box of 50 max.

Cryogaijin

Post by Cryogaijin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:49 pm

There are a lot of options for compact, rifle power weapons. There are NOT a lot of scenarios that would require that sort of firepower, tbh. Most of them (Stuck in the wildnerness due to either a plane crash or an auto accident) would tend to give you more storage than just a bugout bag. . . and further you end up with different requirements for those.

In the lower 48 (I just moved down from Alaska) something like a Keltec su-16 would be excellent for those situations. Folds as small as your SBR options, but doesn't require the class III. And it is lighter.

In Alaska I was tempted to get a remington 7600 pump action rifle in .35 whelen and put a topfolding stock on it. Makes it pretty compact, and .35 whelen is sufficient to take any game on the planet. (And can be fireformed from common 30-06 ammo)

On a higher budget, I'd get a Wild West Guns Alaskan Co-pilot. That'd be this:
It is mostly designed for bear or moose defense, with a side of survival hunting.

How many magazines/backup rounds you need depends on the scenario you're planning for. For the "stuck in lower 48 wilderness" scenario, I'd probably bring the su-16 and 3 10 round magazines. (They all fit on the gun, so none would actually be "in the bag")

For the "downed aircraft in Alaska" scenario, the fully loaded rifle, and a full magazine swap should be enough.

For my generic bugout bag, I have a 10mm Witness, and 5 magazines, though most likely I'd be Bugging In.

Polley

Post by Polley » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:57 pm

Last edited by Polley on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:38 am

alfred10 wrote:How many mags are you carrying in your bug out bag? How much loose ammo? Right now have an AK full size folder. Should I go with an AK 103 SBR or AMD 65 SBR for weight savings? Wondering how many rounds you guys are carrying.
My BOB and my fighting kit are separate items. The BOB is a backpack, the fighting kit is a vest. Some situations call for one, some the other, and some call for both. If you're wearing both a BOB and a fighting kit, you're in a VERY shitty situation. Having taken a couple of tactical courses, and done some backpacking, the idea of doing both at the same time sounds HORRIBLE. But I guess that's why they call it a disaster...

Under some situations (Red Dawn, real-live dead zombies), I could see the logic of packing a full fighting kit, of 6-12 loaded magazines and as much loose ammo as you have or can carry. This is going to mean ditching a whole bunch of comfort gear if you have to move on foot. These are also highly unlikely situations, mostly confined to the realms of fantasy.

Under other situations, I wouldn't bring a rifle at all. Think fairly civilized evacuations where people aren't killing each other and the threat isn't something you can shoot. So, natural disaster or disease pandemic, fairly localized, well-organized evacuation effort. At most, a pistol for self-defense, and a few spare mags. (Whatever you'd EDC.) These are the most common events, like Hurricane Sandy, or even Katrina if you left when they told you to.

There's a middle ground, where a rifle might be justified for defense, and also food procurement, but you're not going to have to fight a one-man ground war. I can't think of a situation in which I'd do this; maybe a foot bugout from a rural location? At any rate, if this happened, I figure I'd put a few magazines (maybe three 30-rounders) in accessible pockets on my clothing or pack, plus one in the weapon.

Basically, for a given situation, ask "Which is more likely to kill you: lack of ammo, or lack of the thing that you took out of the pack to make room for ammo?" Add or remove magazines and ammo until the odds are about 50/50.

shoggoth80
Favorite Zombie Movies: Too many to list in total. The Romero films are classic... but Fido cracks me up!

Post by shoggoth80 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:09 pm

I have fun with questions like this. Some of the reasponses give me pause; there are preps I still need to get to. I don't have a fighting rig. I do have a n AK set up similar to AKFTW's article with a few personal touches. I like it, I know it pretty well, and have run the snot out of it. Given that it is my only longarm left, I better be able to trust it. If I could SBR (my state has legislation against it), I'd roll a Krink build.

However, dancing around the question. I'd run one in the gun, and 4 in a rig (something I want to piece together), drag bag, or backpack, depending on situation I think. I need to muse over that transportation issue more though. I'm a bit better equipped to haul my usual carry pistols. I'll be putting together more kit after the holidays are over.

thechin
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1968 Night of the living dead
1990 Night of the living dead
1978 Dawn of the Dead
2008 Dawn of the Dead
1985 Day of the Dead
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Return of the Living dead
Shaun of the Dead

Post by thechin » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:24 pm

I'm building a 16 inch AR 15 with a polymer lower. I'm trying to keep the weight under 9 pounds including accessories. That plus a 16 inch DPMS LR308 as my DMR. I have a quick detach three point sling for the DMR that allows me easy transition from across my back to shooting position. Problem is that this setup doesn't work with my BOB gear on. Works perfectly when just wearing my combat load out. I'm thinking a wagon or drag sledge (for winter time) which will carry my combat loadout while I'm wearing my BOB kit (or vice versa). I have four extra 40 rd AR15 mags on the left side of my vest and two 20rd mags on right side for the DMR.
Because no honest man should be limited to ten rounds. Sorry Bill. I like your revolvers but I hope you rot in hell.-yossarian

if you dont learn google-fu around here your pants will catch fire. Im just sayin.-Blkhrt13

"Be not afraid of any man,
No matter what his size;
When danger threatens, call on me....
And I will equalize." ~ unknown

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:27 am

I just picked up two (4) round mil-surplus mag pouches for my AK. Unfortunatley they don't seem to work as well for the tapco plastic mags as they do for the metal mags. That means that I'll be putting one 4 X 30 pouch on my load bearing belt so that gives me 4X30 on the belt and one 30 rounder in the gun.
I have a small shoulder bag that holds about 6 tapco mags also. That would be used to haul the mags and ammo to my bug out vehical along with my BOB.
I need to work out mag carrying for my handgun. I have a holster on the belt but need to find a way to put at least one 15 round mag on the belt. I do have a drop thigh pouch attached to the belt but havn't tried it to see if it's going to be comfortable to wear and see if the 15 round mag would fit in one of the pockets of the pouch.

When I get time after Christmas I plan on doing a little organizing on my BOB and bug in supplies. (Assuming the world doesn't end on Dec 21 in which case I'll be making due with what I have.)

Captain Hero

Post by Captain Hero » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:52 pm

Personally, Id only take as many as you feel comfortable taking. I dont have mags in my BoB as I plan on taking that along with my gear. I could see taking a few along in a get back home bag though. Even then, Id only take about 4 plus the on in the gun. Too many other items I'd like to take along for the ride in a limited size bag to get me home.
If you live nothing, you are nothing

Jeb_66
Favorite Zombie Movies: Movie - Zombieland
TV - The Walking Dead
Game - Dead Space 1&2

Post by Jeb_66 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Jeriah wrote:
My BOB and my fighting kit are separate items. The BOB is a backpack, the fighting kit is a vest. Some situations call for one, some the other, and some call for both. If you're wearing both a BOB and a fighting kit, you're in a VERY shitty situation. Having taken a couple of tactical courses, and done some backpacking, the idea of doing both at the same time sounds HORRIBLE. But I guess that's why they call it a disaster...

Under some situations (Red Dawn, real-live dead zombies), I could see the logic of packing a full fighting kit, of 6-12 loaded magazines and as much loose ammo as you have or can carry. This is going to mean ditching a whole bunch of comfort gear if you have to move on foot. These are also highly unlikely situations, mostly confined to the realms of fantasy.

Under other situations, I wouldn't bring a rifle at all. Think fairly civilized evacuations where people aren't killing each other and the threat isn't something you can shoot. So, natural disaster or disease pandemic, fairly localized, well-organized evacuation effort. At most, a pistol for self-defense, and a few spare mags. (Whatever you'd EDC.) These are the most common events, like Hurricane Sandy, or even Katrina if you left when they told you to.

There's a middle ground, where a rifle might be justified for defense, and also food procurement, but you're not going to have to fight a one-man ground war. I can't think of a situation in which I'd do this; maybe a foot bugout from a rural location? At any rate, if this happened, I figure I'd put a few magazines (maybe three 30-rounders) in accessible pockets on my clothing or pack, plus one in the weapon.

Basically, for a given situation, ask "Which is more likely to kill you: lack of ammo, or lack of the thing that you took out of the pack to make room for ammo?" Add or remove magazines and ammo until the odds are about 50/50.
Somehow it never occurred to me to make them two separate things. That makes so much sense I may have to slap myself. And the 50/50 odds about what goes in or comes out of the bag is awesome too.
I've been playing with different load outs thinking about weight and usefulness (or lack of) extra weapons and mags and such. Makes me think about doing it so I could quickly take a pick of 3. Straight BOB, straight fighting kit, and then I'm going to separate out the "comfort stuff" that I would trade for weapon/ammo space and keep in a bag IN my bag. So if I needed to split the middle just take out my "comfort bag", throw in some mags, and GTFO. I like it.

Thanks for the idea.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Jeb Clemons
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!!!!"
http://www.texasgunforum.com

by-the-throat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dead Alive
Land of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Zombieland

Post by by-the-throat » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:09 am

Jeriah wrote:
My BOB and my fighting kit are separate items. The BOB is a backpack, the fighting kit is a vest.
This is more or less my philosophy.

I have one ZOMG rig with 5 AK mags (carrier is a BCS AK chest rig, rather than a vest) plus one RPK 40 rounder in the gun, which complements rather than replaces my BOB as I can easily wear both if for some insane reason that becomes necessary. I also have a range tub that doubles as a resupply point for myself and the missus; it has about 10 loaded AK mags and 20 loaded SKS strippers, along with our load bearing equipment and some maintenance supplies like front sight tool, oil, solvent, eye and ear pro, etc. That would go on a vehicle bugout with us along with the two rifles in the trunk, but I wouldn't keep them on my person unless the situation warrants it.

The only ammo I keep in my BOB is for my small game wrist rocket and 50 rounds of .45 acp. There are plenty of situations where I would leave the ZOMG rig\range tub and such at home so I like to have the option to save the weight if necessary.
From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."
Last Call, Last Stand - The Crystal Menage - SF in Babylon - REMC Guide

ShaneP

Post by ShaneP » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:42 am

I would never keep less than 7 magazines for my rifle handy...Instead of wearing a full kit though i prefer to keep them on a thigh rig left side...I wear a belt every day have my Constant carry handgun iwb right side my...if combat pistol required right leg thigh rig... going with a less conventional setup like this is idea for also lugging around a heavy ruck easy off easy on no adjustment necessary...and remember a you aren't going to be moving very fast with a ruck on it will slow you down so if need be i can drop ruck and run while still remaining fully equipped for a fight
I was a highway man along the coach roads i did ride, with sword and pistol by my side many of young men lost there marbles to my trade, and many a soldiers lost there blood upon my blade. The bastards hung me in the spring of 25 but im still alive. ~~ The highwaymen ~~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1bHaUk1CM

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:44 am

What I posted on another thread...

Since I'm a big 'ol fatman conventional web gear just doesn't work for me, so I made a kind of a Molle bandolier out of two war belts.

I wanted something that I could put on in just a few seconds that would cover most of my fighting needs so all I'd have to do is grab my rifle and pistol, and I could be out the door. I have three double AK mag kangaroo pouches on the front of the bandoleer that also hold four pistol mags for my P14.45, a Leatherman Surge multitool, and small gun cleaning kit.

Six, 30-round 5.45 mags for my AK + one in my rifle should be plenty for whatever comes up, and as a back up I've got the four 14-round .45 pistol mags.

The front belt also contains a blowout kit w/ shears, an admin pouch that holds an LED flashlight, a gmr radio w/ earpiece, papers for my SBR, spare ID, cash, some small medical aids like bandaids, neosporin, etc. I keep a compass pinned near the top of the war belt where I can see it when I look down while walking, and there is still room from a couple glowsticks.

At the bottom of the belt on the left side(around waist level) I've got a Maxpedition Mega Rolly dump pouch. I'm still looking for the right hydration carrier for the back belt, and a large pouch for MRE's and a poncho.

Both war belts are strung together by a 2" nylon strap that is secured with a quick-release buckle, so if I'm every hung up on something I can drop the whole thing with a single motion.

This is not a perfect solution, but it goes on damn quick, is easy to wear over bulky winter jackets, and fits my my body type.

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:52 am

by-the-throat wrote: This is more or less my philosophy.

I have one ZOMG rig with 5 AK mags (carrier is a BCS AK chest rig, rather than a vest) plus one RPK 40 rounder in the gun, which complements rather than replaces my BOB as I can easily wear both if for some insane reason that becomes necessary. I also have a range tub that doubles as a resupply point for myself and the missus; it has about 10 loaded AK mags and 20 loaded SKS strippers, along with our load bearing equipment and some maintenance supplies like front sight tool, oil, solvent, eye and ear pro, etc. That would go on a vehicle bugout with us along with the two rifles in the trunk, but I wouldn't keep them on my person unless the situation warrants it.
Question on the stripper clips, I got a whole bunch of them from a forum member here or on another forum. I have one of the NCstar adapters to feed AK mags. The problem is they are really difficult to feed into the mags. The stripper clips are tarnished a dull grey. I thought maybe the tarnish was making it difficult to slide the ammo down the stripper so I tried cleaning a few using a wire wheel on a bench grinder. It's a little better but still not really easy. I was wondering is perhaps some lube, maybe a thin wipe with light oil or maybe even rubbing the stippers with either soap or wax from a candle. I am concerned though that then the wax or soap would get transfered into the mag and then into the gun.

Any suggestions on this or perhaps theres a technic to stripping the ammo. I have just been placing my palm on the top of the ammo stack and pressing down. Any input?

Alpha-17
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Afterlife
28 Weeks Later

Post by Alpha-17 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:10 am

Fighting kit and BOB are separate for me two. In most cases, I wouldn't use them both at the same time.

Typically, I've packed heavy on ammo for my BOB, with 4 AR/SCAR L mags and 4 SCAR H mags, along with 2 1911 mags and a single Jericho mag. Since PCSing back to KS, my situation and possible bug out distances have changed, and I've recently rethought my ammo requirements. I'm now down to just the 4 AR/SCAR L mags, and 3 1911 mags on the BOB. I might have a few more 1911 mags as EDC/cache items, as well as an extra AR mag in my SCAR.

As for SBR or full length rifle, it depends on your individual needs. I'll be moving mostly through rural areas, so the SBR isn't really needed, and might even prove to be a bad thing. For people buging out through mostly urban terrain, the situation may be different.
THE LATEST AND GREATEST IN TACTICAL GEAR WON'T SAVE YOUR LIFE...... BUT, HEY, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SURVIVING IN STYLE?

7.62 NATO/.308 Fanboy

SharpDog

Post by SharpDog » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:22 am

Drooling over that pic Cryogaijin but the cost and long lead times from Wild West has always put me off. I do have a Marlin .45-70 Guide gun tho (not takedown :cry: ) and maybe someday I'll trick it out. I used to have a Rem 760 pump 30-06 many years ago and it was a great rifle, quick, accurate, reliable and not heavy.

I'm struggling with the same question now for my BOB and it all comes down to weight. I started with an AK-47 and 7 x 40 rd mags for a total weight of about 20 lbs. I needed to make some weight so I shifted to a lightweight AR I'm building and 9 x 30 rd mags for a total weight of about 17 lbs. Now I need to make more room (weight) for add'l kit so I'll likely move down to 7 magazines. Some of what I added with the additional weight was a light weight .22 lr rifle and 500 rds 22lr as well as a light spinning pack rod and reel so that should save on ammo for the battle rifle as it will not be used (as much) for food gathering (my pack also gained over 10 lbs in case you're doing the math).

I'm trying to keep my entire carry weight (clothes, weapons, tools, food, water, BOB, etc. ... everything not part of my body) to under 70 lbs maximum, lower would be better.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”