Crescent arms 16 Gauge SXS

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Crescent arms 16 Gauge SXS

Post by lailr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:57 am

Just picked this up for $200, figured it'd make a great upland/small game gun. Plus the 16 gauge is sort of a neat niche. The question is, I've read that some of them were chambered for a 2 1/2 inch shell. I've tried a tape measure, and even digital calipers, but am unable to get anything to catch to reckon on chamber depth. Anyone have any ideas about how to check this? Thanks!

P.S. It's not Damascus, Laminate or anything like that

woodsghost

Re: Crescent arms 16 Gauge SXS

Post by woodsghost » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:37 pm

What kinds of markings are on your barrel?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Crescent firearms company on one side, New Empire on the other.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:37 pm

Nothing like "16 Gauge" and maybe some other weird markings? No indication of caliber/gauge at all?

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:29 pm

Crescent Arms was a firearm company in the Northeast that made shotguns from the 1890's to 1931. They were an inexpensive shotgun mainly sold in hardware stores.Based off reading from the interwebs I would bet your shotgun has a 2 9/16" chamber, which was standard for the 16ga before 1920. Please do not attempt to shoot modern shells in that shotgun. They used something referred to as Nitro shells, which I guess was an intermediate between black powder and modern smokeless.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

lailr

Post by lailr » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:07 am

Woodsghost, no, no other markings, except for a serial number inside the action

So Update, I took the gun to a quality gunsmith, and he measured the chamber depth at 3 inches. Meaning 2 3/4 with an opened/fired shell. He also checked headspace, and I even posed him the ammo question, and the smith said it should be fine, as long as I stay away from a hard hitting round like magnum loads. Even said buckshot would be ok, although I thought I remembered something about 16 gauge not lending itself well to 00 buck.

Thanks!
Last edited by lailr on Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

lailr

Post by lailr » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:08 am

He also said it was likely made in 1932ish, after Savage/Stevens bought the company, and put together the last few guns and sold

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:44 pm

Sounds great!

And I would not be afraid of "buckshot." I would maybe look closer at 00 Buck and maybe shy away from it. But at some point, the Buck Shot will be a useful size. I'd look up reviews and get something which will suit your game (defense?) needs.

lailr

Post by lailr » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:53 am

It's a Hunting gun, and a safe queen, not for defense ( Until we're talking about Mad Max stuff, and barrel length is out the window :rofl: )

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”