It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Aereus Rex
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:57 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

MacWa77ace wrote:
Me too.

I'm on the fence with the flip ups. Convenient, but mostly in the way when operating. There are scope bikinis made from bungee type elastic bands connecting to caps that contracts farther than those all rubber ones. So you can remove but leave wrapped on the mounts. You can do that with the rubber ones on the smaller Micro and RDS sights but not on scopes.

S&B makes them but I guess they aren't sized for your scope if the S&B guy didn't suggest them.

http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/produ ... cover.html

Thanks! I missed those on the S&B site. I bought from Eurooptic, and they didn’t carry the specific Tenebraex covers I was looking for...they carry the correct covers, but not in the matching color, only black.

Gonna shoot ‘em an email to inquire about a special order since they are a registered dealer and Armament co in Canadia apparently doesn’t deign to answer emails from the proletariat. Maybe they can get me a set.

I like those S&B covers too and will try to get those is the Tenebraex deal falls through.

Fun fact, when I was investigating a different S&B scope with a 7.62 specific reticle in this color before I settled on this one, I shot an email to S&B USA with some detailed questions, and within 48 hours had an answer from an engineer in Germany with my answers and the forwarded emal chain!

That was the moment I decided to buy a S&B scope...real customer service, and real answers even though it wasn’t what I was hoping to hear (advertised but not available in that particular combination of reticle and body color). They steered me to Eurooptic and the rest is history... Both great companies who actually respond well to their customers.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:59 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

No pics of the R&R but swapped out the stock and installed the trigger last night:

Much mo’ bettah...

Used the gas tube intended for this one on another build, but V7 finally got the mid-length inconel tubes back in stock, ordered last night. Finally found the adjustable gas block I want in stock at a vendor I’ve not heard of before...anyone ever heard of Wing Tactical?

Regardless, will try to get time to mount the scope this weekend and will pull the tube/non-adjustable gas system off Kermit if needed to ops check the rifle.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 am 

No, do they have better prices or something?
What AGB are you getting? That is the one thing that took the longest on my last build to get exactly what I wanted for my wish list specs.

Which were:

Micro
Adjustable
Titanium or Stainless.
Set screw mount
Reputable or known manufacturer.
Price.

It was difficult. The manufacturer whose I had planned to use discontinued their stainless model before I got to that point in the build; which I would have preferred to buy from them. So then I had to find another source with those exact specs. Ended up paying quite a bit more than I had budgeted based on the discontinued model.

Can you school me on the inconel gas tubes. The only thing I've ever paid attention to was the finish and/or price. Inconel is what the better suppressor baffles are made from, correct? I may have bought one but didn't know it. Are they more expensive?

Image ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:35 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Gas block is from Master of Arms (formerly Next Intent). I have one (NI version) on the 300BLK upper from my “Jimmy” (James) build...really nice but not cheap. Have a couple hundred rounds through that upper and the gas system is working flawlessly...have tuned it a bit, but it runs subs without a can just fine nearly all the way open so I just leave it there. Could close it off a bit when I shoot supersonic, but hardly ever shoot 300 BLK supers anymore...just subs.

Thought I had a better pic but this is the best I can find (in the middle):

Here’s here’s a pic from Ranier Arms where I bought it though:

Pic too large to load but here’s a higher resolution version with the logo: —> click <—

Same part under the new Master of Arms banner was actually a few bucks cheaper at $150 than what I paid a year or so ago for the “old” version, but it looks exactly the same except for the logo...which actually looks better (and better executed) than the old logo on the previous version:

For the money, I love the 2A Arms titanium gas blocks...super light weight and extremely durable. I needed an adjustable system for this build though and didn’t want to do an adjustable gas key as I’ve done previously. This is the lightest weight yet reliable version I’ve found so far.

Re: the inconel gas tube, it’s the same as any other gas tube (slightly thicker walls), just made from an extremely high temp metal. I’m very familiar with it from my previous work life and believe it’s the perfect material for a gas tube application...wish I’d thought of it myself.

Again, a bit pricey though. Double what you’d pay for a quality name-brand tube, or 3-4x what you’ll pay for a no-name ebay gas tube. ~$70 from V7 if you don’t get the 10% .mil discount. Well worth it though IMHO.

Buy once, cry once.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:43 pm 

My gas tubes are in the $20 range. But I'm sold. There's a YTer that ran a full auto lower with a cheap AR upper until it failed, the whole time he's saying the gas tube is going to go, the gas tube is going to go, but the barrel failed first, and I'm sure it was a no name $16 tube on the upper because the video was about how long a cheap upper could run at full auto.

found it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cr9e3N6HEw

That gas block you're using looks like it clamps AND has a set screw. I've never used an adjustable gas key. They seem harder to adj. Every time you need to make a tweak you have to remove the BCG [after its cooled]?? If I had to think of the best way to use them would be to have a different BCG tuned for differing ammo for the same rifle, that way you just change the BCG and you don't have to mess up your settings on your AGB. But that's expensive.

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?rout ... uct_id=496
This is the gas block I went with, as you can see its up there too. Wanted it adjustable for the suppressor. And I like that you can adjust it without having to loosen/tighten a set screw, just # of clicks. But this one hasn't gone thru its paces so all I can say so far is it meets my specs and works.

Was so picky about the AGB because I was going for a silver/black aesthetic within the functional spec requirements of the build; aesthetics which included SS barrel, NiBo BCG, trigger group, pins and buffer tube, titanium gas block but a black nitride gas tube. Everything else is black.

Just a bit of work and $$ to go on this build though. Still need my final optics, BIUS, and tweaking the light position.

Was looking at that Trijicon 1.5x 16mm prismatic. I want a 1x prismatic but can't find anything I like in my price range. Specs: Prismatic with a large CQB circle and small dot with a BDC also, 20-30mm, 1x, ~$500. There's a bunch of 3x's that do that but none in 1x that I have found.

Have to build/buy/shoot within my monthly gun fund allowance. Which is tiny. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:40 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Nice gun Mac

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:15 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Gas block got here quick, so I went ahead and installed the gas system after work...

Standard technique (for me) with an old pair of hemostats to hold the pin and Knipex pliers to press it in:

Slide it on to check alignment; scribed a line with a pencil since this barrel doesn’t have a dimple:

Clears the charging handle with no problem:

A bit hard to see, but the screw used to close off the gas port will sit with ~2 threads out at full open:

With the set screw on the side locked down:

Since I don’t know for sure what my final preferred load will be, I’ll run it wide open for now. Once I settle on a load (likely something pushing a 168gr Sierra Match King), I run it down to fully closed, then open until it cycles the bolt and locks open on an empty mag with no issues.

All buttoned up, the open architecture of this upper should allow for reasonably easy access to the set screw:

...and for gas adjustments of course:

Will try to get the scope mounted tomorrow some time...lots on the agenda already though between the honey-dos and errands, and have to do some work on one of the cars. Will get pics sometime over the weekend though.

Until then...

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:32 pm 

Great detailed post on the install.
I use one of those gas block fixtures and the roll pin starter punch now. Bought those after shooting a pin across the room and bending another one using the 'wish I had 3 hands technique'.
Neat pliers, do you switch to a punch at the end to finish it in? Or how do you protect the block?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/67928 ... -10-delrin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:35 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

MacWa77ace wrote:
...Neat pliers, do you switch to a punch at the end to finish it?

Yes... and usually scuff or scratch the block a bit if I’m not super careful. Luckily, scratches don’t bother me one bit...freeing as a matter of fact. If it’s not pristine/perfect, I’m not as tempted to baby it at the range or out at the ranch.

I don’t abuse, scratch, or intentionally beat up my weapons, but I don’t baby them either.

That block looks neat...never thought to look for one. I just ordered one to try out on the next build.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote: