Gun belts that don't suck

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Re: Gun belts that don't suck

Post by LJ126 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:47 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
And for the way I dress, leather's a much better match.
That's a very valid reason to choose leather. Calling people dorks is not making a very good case for trying a particular brand of belt.

For stiff leather, Belt Man belts come well recommended. The stiff nylon ones I mentioned I use an SOE EDC belt most of the time are good choices if nylon is more your style. If it's not, that's okay, but you don't have to go on a crusade.
Again, my apologies for the "dorks" comment, as it sincerely wasn't meant to offend and I feel the intended meaning was lost without adequate context. Please let me explain. I'm a member of the law enforcement community, and as a form of endearment in said community, we occasionally ride each other and poke fun. Name-calling is not uncommon. "Dork" is pretty tame compared to my preferred term of endearment for my closest comrades.

It's not that I feel that those who prefer nylon are actually dorks. Not all of them are! :wink:

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:53 pm

Fair enough. The difference is that you aren't around here much, came in guns-hot like you were looking for a fight. If I walked into your department with bare sleeves, looking like a room, and tried to salt it up in the locker room with you, I don't think it would be well received.

Thanks for being cool. If you get the desire for some nylon, SOE is the bomb-diggity.

And for the record I wear LAPG pants because they have testicle room and a thing to hang my keys on. And they make my ass look pretty good.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:46 pm

Sort of off topic, but I've just put a really banging set of wood grips on my Security-Six(took off the Houges), and have been thinking hard about the whole western gunbelt.......wonder where I can find one reasonable?

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Ive been using a Gun Nut 2K1 belt for 3 years, works just fine. Holds my weapon up and still looks good (at least in the areas where the buckle and holster clips dont rub), guns ranging from small polymers to steel revolvers and autos, EDC items, phone, wallet, mags and sppedloaders. Everything I've carried in my pockets since 2011 has been supported by this belt. Literal every day use from work to hunting to shooting classes to traveling. Its stretched a bit, but still got a lot of life left.

Not bad for 50ish bucks IIRC, plus I liked supporting a fellow ZSer. Custom work is always cool, too. One of a kind. Also had two holsters that match the belt made, theyre holding up quite well. Some of the most comfortable I've personally used.

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:11 pm

I bought a Belt Man belt about two years ago. One with the kydex stiffener. I've been pretty pleased with it. I thought it was stretching out for a while, which annoyed the hell out of me, but then it turned out I was losing weight. :oops:

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:01 am

quazi wrote:... I thought it was stretching out for a while, which annoyed the hell out of me, but then it turned out I was losing weight. :oops:
Don't ya just hate that?

:rofl:

Love my galco leather sport belt, wear it everywhere. Holds my Gat and 2 extra mags without me even noticing the extra weight.

I had a SPEC OPS better bdu belt in Iraq for my Italian war cannon and a pair of m16 mags. Started to roll over just a small bit after seven months but looked awesome with my flight suit.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:23 am

I'm on my second beltman belt. I got the stiffener thing this time, but don't really notice any difference over the last one. I'll buy from him again when I wear this one out.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:55 pm

lailr wrote:Sort of off topic, but I've just put a really banging set of wood grips on my Security-Six(took off the Houges), and have been thinking hard about the whole western gunbelt.......wonder where I can find one reasonable?
Pawn Shops. I've seen tons and tons of western style gun belts at the pawn shop. Buy anything that fits or larger. Don't pay more than $40 for belt and holster. They have a hard time selling them. If they they won't deal, just leave it. I'm partial to Hunter Company and I seem to find them often enough. They usually are plain and heavy duty stuff.. I just bought my 2nd belt and holster from a local pawn for $30. It was huge. I had a shoe repair shop shorten, narrow, and add holes the end of the belt. The guy charged me $4. I gave him $10. He burnished the edges and cleaned it up nicely too. FYI: Most single action holsters fit medium frame DA Revolvers pretty well. That Security Six will like be easy to fit in one.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:28 pm

So 2.5 yrs later of daily wear on my OSOE cobra belt and its still awesome!
I wear it mostly in LAPG Urban Ops pants now cause as DocTorr mentioned for himself, they are a more flattering cut, even for my tiny Asian bum!
Its still stiff and holds my pants, Leatherman Wave, G22 in a comptac infidel, with ease. Velcro is in pretty dang good shape despite yanking the belt out of the previous pair of pants when Im late getting ready in the AM for work. Finish on the buckle releases is worn but dang it, it looks good, actually used gear has a beauty all its own!
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:13 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the Fusion riggers belt like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Fusion-1-75-Inch- ... ggers+belt
After dealing with belts that have no stiffness to them at all, I think i'm ready to go with an actual gunbelt. I've done belts with a side release buckle and belt that cinch down like a bdu belt, I much prefer a buckle as it makes it easier day to day (bathroom trips and such). I'm not really interested in a leather belt, nylon works just fine for me as I don't tuck my shirt in at work. My two current holsters are a Desantis Intruder IWB and a Crossbreed Snapslide OWB, both work with either a 1.75 or 1.5 wide belt.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:18 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the Fusion riggers belt like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Fusion-1-75-Inch- ... ggers+belt
After dealing with belts that have no stiffness to them at all, I think i'm ready to go with an actual gunbelt. I've done belts with a side release buckle and belt that cinch down like a bdu belt, I much prefer a buckle as it makes it easier day to day (bathroom trips and such). I'm not really interested in a leather belt, nylon works just fine for me as I don't tuck my shirt in at work. My two current holsters are a Desantis Intruder IWB and a Crossbreed Snapslide OWB, both work with either a 1.75 or 1.5 wide belt.
That doesn't look terribly stiff. They say "mil spec webbing" but my issued rigger's belt was nowhere near as stiff as the Jones TActical belt I have, or my SOE belt.

Cobra buckle is the shit, but I'd say hold out for SOE, Ares, or similar.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:06 pm

Hmm, good point doc. I have a OSOE Micro Rig that I love so maybe I'll just hold out for that. Thanks.

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”