Appleseeds, experiences and questions

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CptSmashy

Re: Appleseeds, experiences and questions

Post by CptSmashy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:22 am

I was looking at the next few Texas events coming up and I was disappointed to see that military veterans do not get the free price tag as active duty. I'm not quibbling over the $70 fee, but it seemed odd that vets would be excluded. Also, what does it mean by re-enactors in period dress? I did not see anything on the main website about this and was curious as to what re-enactment groups would be covered by this. I realize that breaking out my Roman Lorica and accouterments would probably not qualify, but was just curious if the focus was more on the Revolutionary/Early American time period given the nature of the organization or would any period of American military history be applicable.
Fleet Numbers: ZS-0165 & ZS-0166

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:51 am

Smashy,

Those questions honestly would be best directed at the shoot boss for the location you're looking at attending.
April 19th, 1775 - when marksmanship met history, and the heritage began. Liberty, Heritage, and Marksmanship.
Are you a Rifleman or a cook? Attend an Appleseed event and discover your heritage. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

~Mike F.

Well I think I'm gonna reroute my trip, I wonder if anybody'd think I'd flipped if I went to L.A. via Omaha...

CptSmashy

Post by CptSmashy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:31 pm

jeep45238 wrote:Smashy,

Those questions honestly would be best directed at the shoot boss for the location you're looking at attending.
I actually thought of that after I posted it since I did notice different events had different categories.
Fleet Numbers: ZS-0165 & ZS-0166

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:53 pm

CptSmashy wrote: Also, what does it mean by re-enactors in period dress?
I SO totally almost wore my redcoat uniform from when I used to do 62nd Regiment (Royal American). As it was, I wore my DPM smock instead, but I don't think it had the same impact. Ah well, some opportunities are missed.
ImageImage

Coal-Cracker

Post by Coal-Cracker » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:29 pm

423aaron wrote:
One of the big dogs in the Callifornia Appleseed project is a Brit.

I hear his telling of the April 19 story with his accent is interesting.
Not inappropriate considering that many of those disgruntled colonists were actually "British" at the time of the Revolution.
ZS Fleet Vehicle # ZS 0020

WY_Not

Post by WY_Not » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:32 pm

Yep as we are fond of saying... Paul Revere didn't ride and shout "The British are coming! The British are coming!". He was British.

WY_Not
Coal-Cracker wrote:
423aaron wrote:
One of the big dogs in the Callifornia Appleseed project is a Brit.

I hear his telling of the April 19 story with his accent is interesting.
Not inappropriate considering that many of those disgruntled colonists were actually "British" at the time of the Revolution.

knifecoop

Post by knifecoop » Sun May 08, 2011 1:59 am

pics from my last appleseed shoot..learned a bunch good instruction..
[url]Image/url]

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Gonna go to the AS in Springfield, Oregon in July, and I just printed off some AQT's for my range - wanna see how I do just for S&G's - And I wanted to know what the V's at the center of the targets mean. DO they have a score or are they just "Aim Here"?

Also at Appleseed's blog I saw "People who did not do their exercises" in reference to shooting. Do they mean just practicing your positions or is there something else?
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

423aaron

Post by 423aaron » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:40 am

Dogan wrote:Gonna go to the AS in Springfield, Oregon in July, and I just printed off some AQT's for my range - wanna see how I do just for S&G's - And I wanted to know what the V's at the center of the targets mean. DO they have a score or are they just "Aim Here"?

Also at Appleseed's blog I saw "People who did not do their exercises" in reference to shooting. Do they mean just practicing your positions or is there something else?

In Appleseed the "V's" are counted just as 5's. They don't really give you much to aim at unless you are running a scope or have fantastic eyes as the lines are all blured into the black at distance. (In some competitions the "X or V's" would act as tie breakers. As in You got 95 with 3 v's and I got a 95 and 2 v's so you win)

Without a link to exactly where the "exercises" are mentioned I'll give a couple of possibilities. In some of the "Befor you go" areas you are told how to prep. Stuff like actually getting into the positions and how to do that. It could refer to dryfiring. It also could refer to actual exercise. Outside of physical damage the only thing keeping you from being able to get in the positions is exercise. Just streching befor hand helps a lot.

Hope this helps.

Aaron
No greater expression of liberty than the report of a RIFLE!

Just trying to keep this life from becoming "Nasty, Brutish, and Short".

http://www.skillgarden.net

WY_Not

Post by WY_Not » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:25 am

Yes. Practice the positions. Also, practice the six steps to taking the shot.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:45 am

I am registered for the July 16 & 17 shoot!

Also practicing and concentrating on the front post have gotten my groups from about 20 MOA down to 3. And I haven't even been to the Appleseed yet. :wink:

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:42 am

:mrgreen:
April 19th, 1775 - when marksmanship met history, and the heritage began. Liberty, Heritage, and Marksmanship.
Are you a Rifleman or a cook? Attend an Appleseed event and discover your heritage. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

~Mike F.

Well I think I'm gonna reroute my trip, I wonder if anybody'd think I'd flipped if I went to L.A. via Omaha...

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:47 am

Went to Appleseed this weekend. Despite practice, I still only shot a 130. Mind you, after being in the pouring rain for about 5 hours at that point, but still. And my bring-along buddy FUBARd two loaner rifles (One snapped off the rear sight, the other filled the scope with water.) Definitely going back, and practicing more.

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:38 am

Some photos from our recent known distance day in Kentucky (which included a lot of unknown distance shooting as well, along with team drills / spotter drills).

It was nice to see 8 beautiful United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1 on the line blasting away at one time and popping small balloons multiple football fields away with iron sights.

And people say we're a 25m only program :roll: :lol:

~Mike F.

Krypticklown
Favorite Zombie Movies: The "B"er the Better

Post by Krypticklown » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:08 pm

The back of our shirts, word for word:

Project Appleseed

I went to an RWVA Appleseed SHoot
I was there, for the adventure. I was there, for the rebirth...
Those who can't shoot have to cook
Former Cook, now becoming a Rifleman
It feels GOOD..
Yea I was down for going to this until the whole "cook" thing...I'm an Executive Chef and very proud of it, went to a college for four years busting my ass and worked like a dog to get to where I'm at; it comes off very demeaning to me. I understand that this isn't trying to bash people that cook - but most people don't take cooking as serious as me or my friends in this trade - it's what I do; its my tradeskill, my craft and it's something I care about passionately; its like telling a welder or pipefitter that "Those who can't shoot, weld"; and I dare anyone to come into my kitchen and say "those who can't shoot, cook" -- your ass will get shanked with the quickness.
Jay: "What the F*&k is the internet!?"

Guns for sale: P95 and Mare's Leg

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Post by prepper7 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Krypticklown wrote: Yea I was down for going to this until the whole "cook" thing...I'm an Executive Chef <snip>
I can certainly understand how you'd feel your profession was demeaned. I don't think any Appleseeder believes your work is less-than. It's funny, I always thought of it more as, "they also serve who..."

Please try to feel better about this so that you don't deny yourself a really good--and fun--educational experience.
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

WY_Not

Post by WY_Not » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:20 pm

BIG difference between a chef and a cook. If ye can't see that then meh, your loss.

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:28 pm

I didn't come up with the phrase, but I assure you it is not meant to be insulting to anybody.

There is an old saying that dates back hundreds of years, long before 1775. "An army marches on it's stomach" - essentially, no food, no army.

I like to think that this is what the phrase on our shirts refer to.

~Mike F.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:55 am

jeep45238 wrote:"An army marches on it's stomach"
Napoleon, I believe, is credited with that quote.

Krypticklown
Favorite Zombie Movies: The "B"er the Better

Post by Krypticklown » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:00 pm

jeep45238 wrote:I didn't come up with the phrase, but I assure you it is not meant to be insulting to anybody.

There is an old saying that dates back hundreds of years, long before 1775. "An army marches on it's stomach" - essentially, no food, no army.

Oh, I completely understand no one is trying to offend people :mrgreen: It just caught me off when I saw that newbies are cooks,... I was curious how the correlation of Cooks in rifle training of Rev. war...but now I know, and knowing is half the battle.
Jay: "What the F*&k is the internet!?"

Guns for sale: P95 and Mare's Leg

silversnake

Post by silversnake » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:13 pm

Krypticklown wrote:
jeep45238 wrote:I didn't come up with the phrase, but I assure you it is not meant to be insulting to anybody.

Oh, I completely understand no one is trying to offend people :mrgreen: It just caught me off when I saw that newbies are cooks,... I was curious how the correlation of Cooks in rifle training of Rev. war...but now I know, and knowing is half the battle.
I think it might also have something to do with how strange it would sound if the instructors were saying: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." :mrgreen: An old saying all my teacher relatives love about as much as you do the "cook" line, BTW.

More on topic, I've been looking at these events and thinking they might be just the thing for me as I'm very new to shooting and want to learn from someone with experience before I teach myself any bad habits plinking at the range. I saw they're are some coming up near me in Massachusetts, but I'm not sure I'm up for it in November/December. Maybe in the spring. Anyone here gone to or teach at an AS in Harvard, MA? What are your thoughts/experiences/advice?

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:33 pm

With Appleseed, you can't teach if you can't do :wink:

~Mike F.

Neville

Appleseed Marksmanship Training

Post by Neville » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Just finished a full two day course of training with Appleseed at a friend's invitation.

The training was rigorous. This is a challenging course that specializes in the fundamentals of precision rifle shooting.

If you are looking for "tacticool" training where you run around like a ninja with a rifle in your hands... you probably won't find this to be a very fun class. However, if you are looking to become a better rifle shooter, this class will teach you a lot and provide plenty of hands-on experience. No, it's not a "video game war" experience. But the class does turn out competent marksmen.

If you think that's "easy"... then go try it. I improved my rifle skills substantially in this class over the two days of shooting. I was awarded the grade of Marksman for my shooting... but not quite the Rifleman grade I had hoped to achieve. It's a very challenging course and demands a lot of focus and discipline. Out of a class of 45 individuals we had 10 achieve Rifleman status which the instrutors said they believe is a class record.

Don't get me wrong... I do definitely see a place for "run-n-gun" type training and have taken such scenario-based training myself. But that training does not prepare you to hit that must-have-or-we'll-starve deer at 500 yards. It does not prepare you to take out the men who are shooting at you and your group from cover 300+ yards away. It's a different skill set entirely. The two modes (precision vs. tactical) are complimentary and both will help build the well-rounded shooter.

I was impressed with the diversity of the group. From one of the more liberal areas of the country, the San Francisco Bay Area, the class drew a capacity crowd on a cold December weekend just prior to the Christmas holiday, when most people are more eager to get to the shopping mall than to lay on the cold hard ground and shoot targets one after another after another all day. We had people of every ethnicity, former military, women, children who barely stood up to my elbow with little Cricket rifles. All shapes and sizes... not just GI Joe clones.

It was a fantastic class and I am resolved to achieve my Rifleman patch. To aid in this endeavor, I purchased the "opportunity" card which allows me to attend any Appleseed 2-day event for the next year, or until I achieve my patch, whichever comes first. Can't wait to get out to the range and practice the new knowledge and become more comfortable with it. Much of what hurt me this time around was time, and that was because I was not as familiar with some of the gear (participated first day with iron sights, second day with borrowed scoped rifle) as would have been ideal.

Challenge yourself this year. This is very affordable training, and it gets you hands-on with a rifle and supervision by some very good instructors who can help with a lot of issues you might experience. I highly recommend it.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Appleseed Marksmanship Training

Post by crypto » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Were your AS instructors happy to let people bring the rifles they normally shoot, or were they grumpy old men insistant that everyone have iron sights only?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”