Appleseeds, experiences and questions

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Re: Appleseeds, experiences and questions

Post by ninja-elbow » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:44 pm

It would also be complete fail of me not to mention how well my girlfriend Gretchen did today and how much all them Appleseed guys helped her out.

She's a shooting newb. She was afraid of guns until I came along and being with me and afraid of guns just don't work. I took her out a few times with the Glock, and once again to shoot my 10/22 and AK. I taught her the 4 Rules and how to load and unload and fire all my main weapons. I'm not looking to turn her into GI Jane, I want her to just be able to be safe and make an intelligent decision when it comes to guns.

She could not make it to Saturday which was all the basics we went with today. She couldn't even get shots on paper the first few hours this morning and was getting quite frustrated. I tried to help her out as much as I could but was both having my own problems and am just not capable and knowledgable enough to help her work through her aiming issues.

She got hands on instruction from not only 4-5 of the Applessed instructors but also the Line Boss and a few of the volunteer RSOs from our host Douglas Ridge Range. She went from not even hitting paper to scoring in the 90s in the AQT and hitting 5 out of 20 shots at 100 yards. She likes scopes better than irons but what ever gets her scoring in shoots is what she gets. She said that we now must practice at least once per month and I'm penciling it in.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Santander

Post by Santander » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Ya can't beat a woman who shoots! :-)
In general, women tend to be better shooting students than guys... less "ego" to get in the way. :-)
I'm always glad to see ladies at the Appleseed shoots.

T.
Prepared Citizens Network of NC
(http://www.pcnnc.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:02 am

Yeah, I'm pretty proud of my SO. She did an awesome job and didn't quit and took instruction well. From 0 (hits on paper) to scoring in one day is pretty good in my book.

My suggestions to others wanting to go:
Simple rifle. Sight it in before you go. They will not want you sighting it in at Appleseed (Rifleman's dance??) nor do you have the time. Most of the people that had a bunch of stuff on their rifles had rifles that failed. GI Sling and maybe some new sights as 10/22 and Marlin 795 factory sights are low-grade, from my experience.

Ammo. Bring about 400-500 rounds. I fired about 400 rounds through my rifle this weekend.

NPOA - Natural Point of Aim. Work on this before you get there as suggested by Appleseed. Look it up. Seems that I spent most of my time this weekend working on this and I remember the Navy guys stressing this in 92-93 when I got my expert medal. It's like welding - 95% of your time is setting it up, 5% is actually welding.

Be ready for the weather. I knew it was going to be 75-80 degrees and sunny but I still got a sunburn on my right arm. I also should have brought more water - like fill up my 5 gallon can and throw it in the back of my truck.

Go in with an empty cup, like all zen and shit. Act like you never shot before and listen to the Appleseed dudes. If you do know something about something they will recognize it and bring it up. Let your ego go.

You'll be laying on the ground a lot. A LOT. Whatever is on the ground you will be laying in and it will get on you. Be one with this.

Not a whole ton of "free time" to get a smoke, go make a #1 or #2, get a Coke, grab-ass, fix your gun.... all that good stuff.

Though 5 mags is suggested (and I brought 5) I ended up needing only 3 at a time at most. YMMV.

Nobody is going to yell at you. All these guys are tolerant and very nice. If you have problems they want to help you.
President ZSC011

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:17 am

I'd like to see more posts like this.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:19 am

Appleseed is supposed to have a show at C2 ranges here in virginia beach, I think first or second week of November... If I can get off, I'm gonna go with my wife. Probably not with the AK. She has a Winchester pump and I've got a Marlin both in .22 I think it might be fun. (Well, lets see how accurate the AK is, I may get a 2 or 3 power scope for it, if it lives up to arsenal's reputation.

All in all, it looks like a good fun time. Just wish my grandson was a bit older to enjoy it.

Doug Carlton

Post by Doug Carlton » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:28 pm

Great stuff all.

My gear advice to anyone going:

1) get a Ruger 10/22 and put Tech Sights on it http://www.tech-sights.com/
2) add a volquarsten extractor, auto bolt release and extended mag release https://www.volquartsen.com/category/16 ... ents/1-all
3) make sure you have sling studs and swivel for 1 1/4 USGI websling, get websling
4) One brick of 500 rounds 22LR
5) $40 shooting pad from Midway
6) $3 basketball player style Franklin elbow pads!
7) 5 thumb tacks (1 extra in case you shoot it) and 1 black sharpie for marking shots
8) Water, sunscreen, bugspray, poncho

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:17 pm

Yeah, a Sharpie pen and staple gun were almost as important as your rifle and mags :lol: About 1/5th of us brought staple guns so a lot of time was spent letting everyone borrow your staple gun and refilling it. Then you had to loan out your Sharpie. Sharing is no big deal but by Sunday afternoon it gets tiring tracking down your stapler and pen.

Gretchen (Roxxors on ZS) did not need elbow pads and she has soft beautiful woman elbows. Ninja-Elbow did need elbow pads and he has tough manly ninja-like elbows. She used a common blanket and I used a 1 inch foam pad I had laying around.
President ZSC011

Wrangler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Wrangler » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Well I am finally taking the time to write down my thoughts on my first Appleseed event. I was fortunate enough to attend the 300 event in Waterman, IL. All I can say is wow! What an amazing event. I don't know exactly how many shooters made it to the line over the weekend but I can tell you the the firing line was HUGE, looked to be about a quarter of a mile long. I really enjoyed the blend of history and marksmanship that was taught. The story time sessions were the highlight of the event for me. Especially when the fife and drum line showed up Sunday morning accompanied by some period correct rifle man. Wow what a way to drive the message home!

The marksmanship training really was a lot like drinking from a fire hose. My only complaint about the event is that my group was right next to the center of the line. Therefore my instructors did get pulled off of us to help with other areas of the event. I know it was needed for the big picture but I did feel like I missed out on training on the second day. I still had a blast though and me and the gentleman next to me had a good time getting to know each other and encouraging each other.

Here are a few pics I snapped of the event:

Saturday morning started out a little wet, and cloudy but that didn't hold us back.

The line to my right, about half the firing line.

The Revolutionary Riflemen

Story Time!

Me and my AK...yea I know I need to get my leg up...blue jeans where a bad idea...

All in all a very memorable event, I already signed up for another Appleseed in October, I'm determined to make rifleman with my AK. I am also determined to pass on what I have learned to as many people as possible.
When I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take along Samuel Colt...

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:24 am

I've started a ZS Training Log, like a Hot or Not but for training. If you've done one of these Appleseed shoots, you should post it to the log. See the first post for instructions:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=70080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:36 am

Anyone going to this one, next weekend?

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php? ... 3E%3Ctd%3E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was going to go to Buffalo Range next weekend, but if ZS wants to hit up this Appleseed, I might go for it instead. What do y'all think?

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:18 pm

I plan on being at the virginia beach event, first or second week of november...

Will try and take some pics.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:55 pm

Unless a buncha ZS20 wanna go, I think I'm going to skip the Appleseed and just hit Buffalo Range. I want to get my eye issues etc. resolved before I start working on 500 yard marksmanship.

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:41 am

We see a lot of eye dominance issues at AS events, and we (at least at the events that I have been to) work with those effected a lot early on.

Most instructors reccomend shooting with your dominant eye when going for accuracy, which I agree with 100% - but we do know and can come up with some tricks to help students with this.
April 19th, 1775 - when marksmanship met history, and the heritage began. Liberty, Heritage, and Marksmanship.
Are you a Rifleman or a cook? Attend an Appleseed event and discover your heritage. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

~Mike F.

Well I think I'm gonna reroute my trip, I wonder if anybody'd think I'd flipped if I went to L.A. via Omaha...

The Guy
Location: Piper City, Peoples Democratik Republik of Illinois

Post by The Guy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:11 am

Jeriah,

Dude, I was at Buffalo Range last weekend as an Instructor. Wish I had seen all of this earlier.

There is still a shoot or two there on the schedule, plus Waterman at the ASC (?) range where the Waterman 300 was at. All close to Chicago.

Guy
-------------------------------------------------------
Fear Bun-Bun www.sluggy.com

Molon Lave! www.javelinpress.com

Become a Rifleman www.rwva.org/

OpelBlitz
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by OpelBlitz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:53 pm

The Guy wrote:Jeriah,

Dude, I was at Buffalo Range last weekend as an Instructor. Wish I had seen all of this earlier.

There is still a shoot or two there on the schedule, plus Waterman at the ASC (?) range where the Waterman 300 was at. All close to Chicago.

Guy
Guy!

I know I keep thanking you every time I've seen ya, but damn fine job at the 300. :)
Jeriah wrote:Honestly, I kind of enjoy getting my ass kicked by a big gun. It's fun, in a rough sex with a wolverine on a roller coaster kind of way.
Greg Focker wrote:
OpelBlitz wrote:BTW there's no "i" in Daley. :)
But there is an 'i' in "corrupt sack of shit" :wink:
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Errors in English Usage

Bolo Udvar

Post by Bolo Udvar » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:06 pm

I am here in Tx for a school and one of the instructors brought up the fact that a Project Appleseed shoot was in the area. Did not bring a rifle with me so a little disappointed, but looking forward to getting back to Florida and getting involved. Even the wife and a few buddies sounded interested. Think if I can drop the fact that a lot of others enjoyed it then I can justify some new .22's to the wife.

v/r
Bolo Udvar

WY_Not

Post by WY_Not » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Contact the shoot boss ahead of time. Generally someone will have an extra rifle to shoot if you can bring the ammo.
Bolo Udvar wrote:I am here in Tx for a school and one of the instructors brought up the fact that a Project Appleseed shoot was in the area. Did not bring a rifle with me so a little disappointed, but looking forward to getting back to Florida and getting involved. Even the wife and a few buddies sounded interested. Think if I can drop the fact that a lot of others enjoyed it then I can justify some new .22's to the wife.

v/r
Bolo Udvar

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:15 pm

Completed my first Appleseed.

ImageImage

Musubi

Post by Musubi » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:45 pm

Abacus wrote:Completed my first Appleseed.

Nice job!

Thanks for the laugh from the pic! or am I the only one that sees the humor in it???

Musubi
RodCornholio wrote:It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes.
The shaking becomes a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:18 pm

I get the irony - that said....from this weekend.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
April 19th, 1775 - when marksmanship met history, and the heritage began. Liberty, Heritage, and Marksmanship.
Are you a Rifleman or a cook? Attend an Appleseed event and discover your heritage. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

~Mike F.

Well I think I'm gonna reroute my trip, I wonder if anybody'd think I'd flipped if I went to L.A. via Omaha...

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:38 pm

It was supposed to be funny, but not ironic. The British had skirmishers and riflemen also.

I don't even want to get into how unfunny it was to even pretend to shoot at Tommies :( I had to tell myself they were Red Indians instead.

So now, I'm a Cook AND a Rifleman. I have layers. ;)
ImageImage

OpelBlitz
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by OpelBlitz » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Abacus wrote:So now, I'm a Cook AND a Rifleman. I have layers. ;)
Well said sir. :)
Jeriah wrote:Honestly, I kind of enjoy getting my ass kicked by a big gun. It's fun, in a rough sex with a wolverine on a roller coaster kind of way.
Greg Focker wrote:
OpelBlitz wrote:BTW there's no "i" in Daley. :)
But there is an 'i' in "corrupt sack of shit" :wink:
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Errors in English Usage

423aaron

Post by 423aaron » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:59 am

Abacus wrote:Completed my first Appleseed.

One of the big dogs in the Callifornia Appleseed project is a Brit.

I hear his telling of the April 19 story with his accent is interesting.
No greater expression of liberty than the report of a RIFLE!

Just trying to keep this life from becoming "Nasty, Brutish, and Short".

http://www.skillgarden.net

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Shamelessly stolen from another forum that I frequent.

Posted by this fellow here:
Tyler_Ladd wrote:Review of Wilmington Appleseed Nov. 13-14, 2010

The Facility: This place was awesome, Clinton County Farmers and Sportsmen Association. They’ve got a fairly large clubhouse in farm country outside Wilmington, OH. There are trap/skeet ranges on the east side of the road (and archery too I believe) with pistol and rifle ranges on the west side. I was highly impressed with the facilities, and the food that was available for purchase at lunch wasn’t a bad touch at all.

Saturday morning started with coffee and introductions, along with a brief synopsis of what the Appleseed project is and why it was created. The shoot boss (our very own Meanstreaker) then spent time covering the safety rules and various line commands that the students would be hearing over the weekend.

Once all the rules and commands were covered, it was time to start shooting. We shot our first targets utilizing only what we had brought with us; our prior knowledge of how to shoot. These showed me a lot. My first target was horrible, but that’s why I was there, to learn to shoot.

The morning session covered everything from the basics of using a sling, to the 6-steps to firing a shot, to sight alignment, to natural point of aim, to zeroing sights. We had at the very least been introduced to nearly everything we were going to learn before lunch on Saturday. The first day of an Appleseed has been compared to ‘drinking from a fire-hose’, and I’ll echo that sentiment, however I felt that the instructors did an incredible job of making sure everyone understood what was going on and taking the time to answer any and all questions with courtesy and respect

During lunch we visited and heard the first part of the story of April 19th, 1775. I’ll never be able to recount the details here with the eloquence of our Appleseed Instructors, and I don’t want to spoil the story, so I’ll simply mention it and let you find out the details when you attend an Appleseed. The clubhouse had burgers and fries for sale for the people who didn’t bring a lunch and that stuff hit the spot. I can’t thank them enough for that.

The afternoon session on Saturday was spent learning the seated and standing positions, as well as continuing to practice the stuff we had learned that morning. We also shot our very first AQT of the weekend. My only real complaint about my entire experience comes up here: The orientation of the range was such that by about 4:00 pm the sun was sitting low and directly in front of the firing line causing all sorts of problems. The glare off my rear aperture was so bad that I couldn’t even see the target (not that I would have qualified anyways, haha.) Alas, I can’t discount Appleseed or even fault the range for that, just happened to be an unfortunate situation that couldn’t really be avoided.

We packed up our gear for the day and heard the second part of the April 19th story after shooting our AQT’s. The Instructors also scored the targets for those who so chose, and awarded Rifleman patches to those who qualified. I’m not on that list, yet.

Saturday night was probably the most memorable part of the weekend for me. The Instructors built a campfire and cooked chili. Its hard to describe what I was feeling that night, but I was extremely impressed by the wisdom of the Appleseed Instructors and the camaraderie they share between themselves and their students. These guys and gals truly are a class act. Jeep calls it the ‘Appleseed Magic’ and after experiencing it, I tend to agree.

Sunday morning started much the way Saturday did: coffee and safety briefing. The focus Sunday was less on listening to lectures and more on shooting. We did a lot of AQT’s and redcoats in the time I was there.

I had to leave right after we finished lunch, but I was able to stick around and hear the last part of the April 19th story and lecture on bullet drop after it. There was a lot of good information here, I’ll be looking forward to putting it to use.

In conclusion, my first Appleseed was everything I expected and then some. I learned much more than I could have ever dreamed, and I got to have a lot of fun hanging out with great people in the process. If you haven’t been to an Appleseed yet, do it. My only regret is taking so long to finally get to one, it was a blast!

~Mike F.

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”