Appleseeds, experiences and questions

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jeep45238

Re: Appleseeds, experiences and questions

Post by jeep45238 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:01 pm

I'd love to be on the line helping folks out, but I recently got a new job, working Thursday through Monday, closing every night (some nights, 4AM is closing time).

I need to stay employed, so I doubt I'll be at the 300 line :evil:
April 19th, 1775 - when marksmanship met history, and the heritage began. Liberty, Heritage, and Marksmanship.
Are you a Rifleman or a cook? Attend an Appleseed event and discover your heritage. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

~Mike F.

Well I think I'm gonna reroute my trip, I wonder if anybody'd think I'd flipped if I went to L.A. via Omaha...

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Another review of an Appleseed Shoot from another Buckeye resident :D

http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewt ... f=7&t=9312" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
April 19th, 1775 - when marksmanship met history, and the heritage began. Liberty, Heritage, and Marksmanship.
Are you a Rifleman or a cook? Attend an Appleseed event and discover your heritage. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

~Mike F.

Well I think I'm gonna reroute my trip, I wonder if anybody'd think I'd flipped if I went to L.A. via Omaha...

Erik

Post by Erik » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:35 pm

Isn't this the same organization that says that if you don't meet their requirements, they consider you unworthy of carrying a rifle "on the firing line of freedom?"

That seems like a bunch of garbage to me.

*Edit*
Here is is:

"It’s a man or woman who has learned to shoot a rifle accurately—accurate enough to score "expert" on the Army Qualification Course. Until you can do that, you’re considered a "Cook," unprepared and unqualified to carry a rifle on the firing line of freedom."

Who are they to determine whether or not I'm qualified to do ANYTHING, let along fight for freedom? With the weapons they had, I doubt all the founding fathers could score "expert" on the Army Qualification course. I guess they weren't qualified to fight for freedom either.

These dudes seem like jerks to me.

Wrangler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Wrangler » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:58 pm

Erik wrote:Isn't this the same organization that says that if you don't meet their requirements, they consider you unworthy of carrying a rifle "on the firing line of freedom?"

*Edit*
Here is is:

"It’s a man or woman who has learned to shoot a rifle accurately—accurate enough to score "expert" on the Army Qualification Course. Until you can do that, you’re considered a "Cook," unprepared and unqualified to carry a rifle on the firing line of freedom."

Who are they to determine whether or not I'm qualified to do ANYTHING, let along fight for freedom? With the weapons they had, I doubt all the founding fathers could score "expert" on the Army Qualification course. I guess they weren't qualified to fight for freedom either.

Have you been to an event yet?
When I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take along Samuel Colt...

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:07 pm

No, he hasn't when he jumps to conclusions like that, nor looks into the historical significance of the statement and what we are about.

You can lead a horse to water, but you sure can't make them drink from it.

~Mike F.

Erik

Post by Erik » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:09 pm

Wrangler wrote:
Erik wrote:Isn't this the same organization that says that if you don't meet their requirements, they consider you unworthy of carrying a rifle "on the firing line of freedom?"

*Edit*
Here is is:

Have you been to an event yet?
I've only read what's on their website. It just seems like demeaning, elitist, and inflammatory language.

Perhaps they realized this, because that language was actually on their old website, but not the new one.

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:15 am

Either way, sounds like you're assuming quite a bit and distorting words to fit your personal opinions without any experience in the subject matter. Just my uneducated opinion based on words on a computer screen typed by somebody that I don't know, without any ability to detect tone or body language (which can drastically take a comment to an insult - please understand that I am not insulting nor demeaning you, just going off the words I can read).

The back of our shirts, word for word:

Project Appleseed

I went to an RWVA Appleseed SHoot
I was there, for the adventure. I was there, for the rebirth...
Those who can't shoot have to cook
Former Cook, now becoming a Rifleman
It feels GOOD...

And my mission in life is to pass on the Tradition, the one that started on
April 19, 1775

Want to be a Rifleman? I will show you how! Just ask...

Shooting - the only sport endorsed by the FOunders
an American Tradition - since April 19, 1775

The Revolutionary War Veterans Association
www.rwva.org

Formatting and bolt/italic emphasis retained from the shirts, the only difference is that the shirts have all of the lettering centered down the spine, and two apples on either side.

We're far from who you're attempting to make us out to be. http://www.youtube.com/user/MissWesternRose#p/a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~Mike F.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:56 am

Erik check your PM's or read the first post of this thread please.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:34 am

It looks like the closest one for WNC is Anderson SC Oct 23-24. I think Mr. NoAm, Lil NoAm & I will be signing up for that one. We have a friend in a tactical group, that has talked about "Appleseed" constantly since he went a few weeks ago! After seeing this post, that seals the deal. We have to be a part of this! :mrgreen: Let see what other ZS peeps we can get involved and have a great weekend together!
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

tarafore

Post by tarafore » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:05 am

The language is definitely elitist and annoying, but to their credit, I don't see it on the current website. "Revolutionary War Veterans" is what really rubs me the wrong way. Are their organizers 250+ years old? If not, then there are NO actual Revolutionary War Veterans involved, and I really don't feel comfortable with that kind of assertion, any more than I feel comfortable with people claiming they fought in Vietnam or Desert Storm when they didn't.

HOWEVER,
I have to say, despite my reservations about some of their naming choices, their hearts absolutely seem to be in the right place. I think they're doing a great thing, and I hope to make it to the (sort of) local clinic, either in September or October.

I most likely won't be able to make it to the one on Sunday, though. Is Saturday a good day to go?

tarafore

Post by tarafore » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:41 am

Erik wrote: *Edit*
Here is is:

I don't know if Wikipedia is a good source, but it lists the average effective range of a Kentucky Rifle as 80-100 yards, though this could be extended by expert shots to over 300 yards, and makes note that Daniel Boone actually shot a man in the head at 250 yards, which might imply an ability to hit the torso at 500, but was clearly the exception.

Still, with modern rifles, 500 yards is an admirable marksmanship goal.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:17 pm

They are of course not claiming that they are revolutionary veterans. What they are doing is trying to make people aware of the courage and sacrifice of our forefathers. I've noticed that this actually offends a lot of people and I could never figure out why.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

MeanStreaker

Post by MeanStreaker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:31 am

"Revolutionary War Veterans" is what really rubs me the wrong way. Are their organizers 250+ years old? If not, then there are NO actual Revolutionary War Veterans involved
I was also really confused by that as well. Then I realized what they were actually trying to say.

John Adams was quoted as saying, "The Revolutionary War was fought and won long before the first shot was ever fired. It was fought and won in the hearts and minds of the American people."

Today's Americans as a whole no longer have the spirit of the American Revolution in their hearts and minds - self-governance, individual responsibility, etc. We all need to get back to being Revolutionary War Veterans like John Adams was describing.

That's what Appleseed is about. It provides a fun, family-friendly venue for us to come together and share in a traditional American skill and our shared heritage so we can be inspired to use civic involvement and the power of the pen to return us to our Founding Principles.

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:56 am

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010 ... with-guns/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~Mike F.

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:46 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvV6VDoZYuE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fox News Report

~Mike F.

Doug Carlton

Post by Doug Carlton » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:35 pm

You cannot afford NOT to attend an Appleseed and soon.

If you participate in this site or forum you owe it to yourself to challenge yourself to learn and shoot better. Over the course of 2 days I saw my groups tighten up considerably. On the first day I shot a 168! My last AQT I shot a 208!

But something interesting happened to me. I could not learn enough about the men of the Revolutionary War and their reasoning. It seemed foreign to me that large groups of men drilled regularly with weapons on land set aside to do so and when the time came they assembled and came to each other's aide.

I keep asking my self how we would do that now....

I now know who Hezekiah Wyman is and why he did what he did and it inspires me. Yes, I will shoot 210 or better my next Appleseed (Sept 11 thank you very much) but in the meantime I am developing my understanding of the philosophy of liberty and getting others involved to make a change for the better.

I hope to see you on the line!

Doug Carlton

Post by Doug Carlton » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:21 pm

BTW, there's an Appleseed shoot in Toccoa, GA this weekend, Sept 11 & 12.

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states. ... me=Georgia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

be a rifleman, not a cook.

Alfred_Popinjay
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Alfred_Popinjay » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:37 pm

I went to an August 7-8 event in Carrollton Kentucky. I shot a 209 on Saturday, and finished with a 222 about midway through Sunday. All in all, it was solid instruction, and a wonderful time.

Santander

Post by Santander » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:15 pm

I am happy to live only an hour away from the Appleseed home range, RWVA in Ramseur, NC.
A buddy of mine went to an Appleseed and then we worked together at the range. Then, as he went through the bootcamp (to be an instructor) I went to my first Appleseed.
That was about 4 years ago and I made rifleman and got to shoot at the full-distance 500 yard range.
I have since taken medium-long range rifle clinics taught by the U.S. Palma champions out at Camp Butner. Between 80% & 90% of what we covered with the Palma team was covered in spades in Appleseed.
It is a solid marksmanship program. We brought 21 people out to an Appleseed a few months back. Everyone was really happy with it.
One couple returned just this past month and made rifleman. We've got several others that will be going again in October.

Is shooting at 25 yards the end-all, be-all? No, but like dry-firing, it is just another tool... and an excellent tool for practicing the fundamentals.
If you can shoot 1" at 25 yards does that mean you can shoot a 20" target at 500 yards? No... but it gets you 90% of the way there. It is still vital to take that centerfire rifle out to known full distances and verify those come-ups and get that rear sight indexed properly (or learn your hold-overs on your scoped rifle). You gotta know the dope about your rifle and your load.

Tony
Prepared Citizens Network of NC
(http://www.pcnnc.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Santander

Post by Santander » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:31 pm

NoAmnesty wrote:It looks like the closest one for WNC is Anderson SC Oct 23-24. I think Mr. NoAm, Lil NoAm & I will be signing up for that one. We have a friend in a tactical group, that has talked about "Appleseed" constantly since he went a few weeks ago! After seeing this post, that seals the deal. We have to be a part of this! :mrgreen: Let see what other ZS peeps we can get involved and have a great weekend together!
NoAmnesty...
You're in Western NC, no?
This person of whom you speak... did he go to the July 31/Aug 1st Appleseed in Ramseur? If so, I believe that I met him.
The great thing about the Ramseur location (about 3 to 3-1/2 hours from you I believe) is that it has a 500 yard range. Those that do well enough after the first day will be asked if they would like to shoot out at 200, 300, 400, & 500 yards. Plus, you can camp there. :-)

Tony

423aaron

Post by 423aaron » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Santander wrote:
NoAmnesty wrote:It looks like the closest one for WNC is Anderson SC Oct 23-24. I think Mr. NoAm, Lil NoAm & I will be signing up for that one. We have a friend in a tactical group, that has talked about "Appleseed" constantly since he went a few weeks ago! After seeing this post, that seals the deal. We have to be a part of this! :mrgreen: Let see what other ZS peeps we can get involved and have a great weekend together!
NoAmnesty...
You're in Western NC, no?
This person of whom you speak... did he go to the July 31/Aug 1st Appleseed in Ramseur? If so, I believe that I met him.
The great thing about the Ramseur location (about 3 to 3-1/2 hours from you I believe) is that it has a 500 yard range. Those that do well enough after the first day will be asked if they would like to shoot out at 200, 300, 400, & 500 yards. Plus, you can camp there. :-)

Tony
Tony,
You forgot the best part. That 500 yard range has POP UP targets! :D Its unlikely you'll find that outside of the .mil

Aaron
No greater expression of liberty than the report of a RIFLE!

Just trying to keep this life from becoming "Nasty, Brutish, and Short".

http://www.skillgarden.net

Santander

Post by Santander » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:09 pm

Aaaah yess... the pop-up targets. There are few gongs out there as well.
It's well worth the drive and $15 (or whatever it is now) to attend one of the non-Appleseed events that they have throughout the year.
I think we'll be going to the December 11th Korean War Sniper shoot (http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11414.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

T.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:02 pm

Saturday Appleseed done, shot 160-170s. Been a long time since I did an AQT and that shows. Will try to break 200 tomorrow. My sights on my 10/22 were set for long range (100 yards plus?? ... shooting WAY high) but did not have the time during the day to adjust them even though it would've took 5 minutes. I forgot to set them to 50 yards or less as I was instructed via the "things to do before Appleseed". Other than my brain fart on the sights, the 10/22 DLX worked flawlessly and I went through about 200 rounds today.

Many people had all kinds of mechanical issues with rifles though, mostly after market things that people add to rifles to make them better. Those were failing regularly - scopes coming loose, mag releases falling off, failure to feeds, stove pipes, after market sights coming loose ... all the good stuff. My suggestion is to keep it simple.

Good sling is nice but many did not have slings on their rifles. I have a GI issue sling on mine. I learned to use it properly and I like those slings.

Of note, the couple to my left were using 10/22 with Tapco Fusion stocks and scopes; those rifles worked perfectly. The dude (Greg) was one of 2 people to get Rifleman today. Both of them were total noobs to shooting having started shooting just this year.

The other guy to get his Rifleman was a professional shooter from the range that hosted us. He had a tricked AR.

Also of note, the guy on my right was kind of a special ed guy and was using a borrowed Marlin 60 with a tube feed. He shot well, even when he was shooting my target by accident. :? Good guy though.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Another great day and am I beat.

First, my overall improvement:
My best AQT target was 179 points. Not as good as I did in the Navy back in '92 or whenever that was when I scored my Expert Medal (220... 225?? forgot). Bottom line is I'm a cook ... awwwwww, my ego is so frikkin crushed :lol: Still, 179 is "marksman" as per the AQT regs.

My proudest moment and more important to me today was the very last "Red Coat" target. All my shots were close to 1 inch groups. I only kept them in the red on the 100m and 200m while the rest were about 1 inch to the right and high. My groups were tight but my aim was off. It was the end of the day and the trainers were saying it was a combo of breathing and trigger jerking but the tight groups meant my NPOA was on. I've got a pic of the target and will post it as soon as I find my USB cord. My prior Red Coat targets, which you start and end the day with, were shit.

Strangest to me was my 100 meter shooting. We did 400 meter AQT silhouettes at 100 meters and I was scoring on all 20 shots. I can suck well at 25 meters but easily score all shots at 100 meters with my 10/22 while prone. Hmmmnnn... :lol: Many others did not fair as well.

Also peculier was my offhand/standing shooting was A-OK while my crouching/sitting and prone still need work. Everyone else complained when it was time to go off hand but that was cake to me.

Re rhetoric:
Any neo political rhetoric was non-existant. Folks can spin it all they want but you can do that with anything else too (hence why I think politics is BS in general anyways and a waste of time to "be into them") It's just them telling stories about some dudes and ladies that did some shit to start the Revolutionary War. People who know me know that I am as about as non-political as one can be and I do not suffer fools. I had 0 problems with the RWVA guys at all. F-in nice guys as a matter of fact and many, since I wore ZS t-shirts both days, asked me about us and were pleased that a group like us is out there doing what we do. I promised to get more ZSC011 folks out to the next Appleseed.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”