Cleaning and Maintenance of your firearms

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Re: Cleaning and Maintenance of your firearms

Post by LJ126 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:01 pm

Something I did not see discussed beyond dry lubricants is how to clean and lube your weapons for extreme cold weather, single digits (Fahrenheit) and below.

There are two main issues at play (disregarding precipitation): oil gumming and condensation. When the needle drops, most oils get somewhat tacky, almost like wet fingernail polish. Some freeze, becoming like an epoxy. Many firearms-specific greases are essentially worthless in very cold weather, (generally) being less resistant to the cold than oil.

While there are low-temperature oils, most firearms function just fine with no oil at all. Simply wipe off the weapon until it's as close to bone dry as possible. With products that utilize PTFE/Teflon, all that should be left is an invisible trace layer of PTFE, which (according to Katahdin Precision Coating) retains friction-reducing properties at low temperatures, as low as -454F.

Everyone loves to bash on Rem-Oil but it's good for cold weather, as it's thin enough that the oil is easily wiped away. It also utilizes Teflon, which can't easily by wiped completely away, leaving an invisible layer of friction reduction. There are also low-temperature specific oils and greases that can be used.

The other issue - condensation - is also easily mitigated, but let's understand what's going on. So, you've been out for hours in 0F weather, and you step into your room temperature vehicle/shack/BOL, and your weapons immediately begin acting like a frosted beer glass on the table. If this isn't dried or completely evaporated by the time you return outside, it will freeze. Obviously, that's an issue.

Again, the fix is simple. Strip down your weapon and wipe it dry before returning outside.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:01 pm

[quote="LJ126"
The other issue - condensation - is also easily mitigated, but let's understand what's going on. So, you've been out for hours in 0F weather, and you step into your room temperature vehicle/shack/BOL, and your weapons immediately begin acting like a frosted beer glass on the table. If this isn't dried or completely evaporated by the time you return outside, it will freeze. Obviously, that's an issue.

Again, the fix is simple. Strip down your weapon and wipe it dry before returning outside.[/quote]
...Or keep the weapon outside at he ambient temperature. :awesome:
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

procyon

Post by procyon » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:46 pm

On the condensation problem, I do have one thing I do to deal with it when carrying one of my revolvers in cold weather on the farm.
When I was younger, I ran into the issue with it freezing up if I got in and out of the truck often while working. So I started carrying a plastic gallon zip lock bag in my coat pocket. Before I get in the car I pull the revolver (holster and all) and put it in the bag. Squeeze out most of the air and seal it before you get into the truck (or house, heated barn, etc). The bag will get wet, but it will cut down on the moisture on the handgun.

And you could say "just leave the heater off in the truck". That would work if you aren't in the vehicle for long, but if I am out working fences/dropping trees/etc - what is going to happen is that I will fog up/frost over the windows on the inside of the truck.

The plastic bag trick would be tougher with a long arm though.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:47 pm

LowKey wrote:
LJ126 wrote: The other issue - condensation - is also easily mitigated, but let's understand what's going on. So, you've been out for hours in 0F weather, and you step into your room temperature vehicle/shack/BOL, and your weapons immediately begin acting like a frosted beer glass on the table. If this isn't dried or completely evaporated by the time you return outside, it will freeze. Obviously, that's an issue.

Again, the fix is simple. Strip down your weapon and wipe it dry before returning outside.
...Or keep the weapon outside at the ambient temperature. :awesome:
This potentially presents a whole series of other issues. Do you feel comfortable leaving your weapon unsecured, in the elements? Maybe that's an issue, maybe not. I guess it all depends on your individual situation.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”