Guns for women chl holders

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 884
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by raptor2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:13 pm

IMO a Glock 19 (any gen) is an excellent pistol.
You can also find used Glocks at decent price (or at least you used to be able do that :shock: )
It is rather like a Honda Accord. It is very reliable, inexpensive(relative terms), dependable, long lived and It has many after market parts.

That said, like a Honda Accord it may not be exactly what the person wants and may not be the best choice for that person. A firearm especially a CCW is a very personal thing thing and the choice of a CCW is very dependent upon many personal preferences. A person's preference is not necessarily good nor bad, it is just that, a preference.

Buying a CCW is rather like buying shoes or a tie for someone. There is a lot of personal choices involved.

A Glock 19 can easily be rented at a range. Have her shoot it several times first. That is the first part of the choice. Does it fit the hand and can the person hit the target with it.

On the other hand if you simply buy a Glock 19 and it does not work well for personal reasons reselling and getting most of your money back should be easy.

IMO with any new CCW holder, decide how the CCW will be carried and let that govern the type & size of the CCW. Then and only then decide what what caliber is most accurate for that person in that CCW type. For instance a .32ACP is not my first choice but if that is the caliber that allows that person to hit a target consistently (due to recoil/noise/whatever) then work around that limitation.


YMMV
Duco Ergo Sum


raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by NT2C » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:23 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:13 pm
IMO a Glock 19 (any gen) is an excellent pistol.
You can also find used Glocks at decent price (or at least you used to be able do that :shock: )
It is rather like a Honda Accord. It is very reliable, in expensive(relative terms), dependable, long lived and It has many after market parts.

That said like a Honda Accord it may not be exactly what the person wants and may not be the best choice for that person. A firearm especially a CCW is a very personal thing thing and the choice of a CCW is very dependent upon many personal preferences. A person preference is not necessarily good nor bad it is just that, a preference.

Buying a CCW is rather like buying shoes or a tie for someone. There is a lot of personal choices involved.

A Glock 19 can easily be rented at a range. Have her shoot it several times first. That is the first part of the choice. Doe it fit the hand and can the person hit the target with it.

On the other hand if you simply buy a Glock 19 and it does not work well for personal reasons reselling and getting most of your money back should be easy.

IMO with any new CCW holder, decide how the CCW will be carried and let that govern the type & size of the CCW. Then and only then decide what what caliber is most accurate for that person in that CCW type. For instance a .32ACP is not my first choice but if that is the caliber that allows that person to hit a target consistently (due to recoil/noise/whatever) then work around that limitation.


YMMV
Looking at their listed location though, what's available will be restricted severely by what's allowed in that state.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

User avatar
raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 884
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by raptor2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:53 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:23 pm
Looking at their listed location though, what's available will be restricted severely by what's allowed in that state.
Agreed; that limitation along with the fact that finding CCWs in stock is also very difficult does indeed limit choices a lot.
That said my advice remains unchanged. Except that the CCW may have to compromise on the CCW.
This typically means additional train and conditioning of muscle memory to adapt to the CCW. Not the end of the world (not yet anyway) but less than ideal.
Duco Ergo Sum


raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

User avatar
Dabster
* * * *
Posts: 826
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 am

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by Dabster » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:00 pm

In the past ten years I have moved from a rabid Glock Hater to a enthusiastic Glock Fanboy. I have three and often wonder if I need just one more. My wife is the happy owner of a Gen3 Glock 19. She fell in love with it and demanded it.

Having said that, I would suspect that there is a Glock out there that will feel made for your hand but I would encourage you to at least try everything you can get your hands on. Some notable manufacturers are CZ, Walther, HK and even Smith & Wesson.

Happy shopping,
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

User avatar
MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 2167
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.
Location: South East Florida
Contact:

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:04 pm

Ferie wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:06 am
I currently received my chl and currently looking for a gun to carry. I heard that a glock 19 gen 4 was a good gun for a women to carry. Is there a gun that is good for a women. Thanks
How much experience with pistols do you have? You should decide on how you will conceal carry before you buy the gun you will CC. On body or in your bag? Also what are the laws are regarding magazine capacity in your area? I'm assuming Santa Clara California and 10 rnd mag cap max.

[OFFT] Hmmm, there is a lady here at work who got her CWL first and then bought her first handgun after the license came thru. She wasn't even going to CC it, and I told her she didn't have to wait the months for the process to buy a gun. She waited. She also didn't listen to my selection advice either, and it turned out that she didn't like the expensive gun the LGS salesman put her into. I actually said, 'what ever you do, don't get a compact SA', because I knew she wouldn't be able to rack the slide. Guess what happened...? She got a compact and couldn't rack it. Then she said she wanted to get a Judge revolver. I said, 'you won't be able to pull the trigger.' Guess what happened next? Yep, she's asking me if there is a way to make the trigger lighter. :roll: [/OFFT]

OT: As semi auto pistols go, the Glock 19 is double stack and probably over capacity limits for Kalifornia. But a Glock 43 is single stack, so more easily concealable on body, more comfortable for on body concealed carry, and its capacity is 6+1. Which is Kalifornia friendly for now. Or Glock 43X which is 10+1, check your laws.

But not being a Glock guy, I say get a M&P®9 SHIELD™ EZ® NO THUMB SAFETY for an on body CCW. It's capacity is 8+1 and is thinner than Glock 19, same price range as Glock 43. And for a compact, its easy to rack the slide, hence the EZ in the name, YMMV.


Image

For beginners and off body carry; normally I'd say any full size, steel frame, SA in 9mm is beginner EZ IMO. Easier to handle, aim, rack, and recoil control than compacts or polymer frame guns. But to find that in a single stack with 10 rnd mag capacity limit for Kalifornia? That's going to be up there in price, $1000 and up [pre covid panic]. I don't have to deal with those magazine capacity restrictions in my state so haven't had to do research into it. But off the top of my head you're probably looking at Kimber, Sig X5 Legion or other 1911 style in 9mm. So I guess I'm not recommending that unless you've got the $$.

Then finally if you elect to carry on body or in your bag you will need to get a holster and a way to carry at least one extra magazine with you.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel


Image
Image

boskone
* * * * *
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by boskone » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:12 pm

Ferie wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:06 am
I currently received my chl and currently looking for a gun to carry. I heard that a glock 19 gen 4 was a good gun for a women to carry. Is there a gun that is good for a women. Thanks
Lotta good suggestions, but I'd try also a Ruger LC9 Pro/EC9s. Basically the same gun, a very small 7+1 9mm; I have the latter, and it's decent-shooting and easy to carry. The EC9s just doesn't have some (IMO aesthetic) cuts or driftable sights. (Superfluous in a pure CC gun, IMO.)

Whatever you look at, try and find one to shoot. Guns in general, and IMO CC pistols in particular, are very subjective choices. E.g. I absolutely hate the Ruger LCP (owned one, hated it), but love my Ruger EC9s (which is basically an overgrown LCP). One of my former coworkers was the exact opposite.

There's an org called--IIRC--"A Girl and A Gun" that's specialized for women shooters. Might see if there's a group in your area, see what and how they carry.

User avatar
emclean
* * * * *
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:31 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by emclean » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:39 am

I cant inprove on raptor2 recommendations, I just want to emphasize one part.
raptor2 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:13 pm
A Glock 19 can easily be rented at a range. Have her shoot it several times first. That is the first part of the choice. Doe it fit the hand and can the person hit the target with it.
I have bought my wife several handguns over the years, and not once have I gotten right what she liked.
OTOH I have bought ones for myself, that she loved, once.
(guess it is a good thing I like collecting a lot of different guns)
the proof is in the pudding, or at least the accuracy. A .22lr in the target always beats a .44 mag in the wall.

User avatar
woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 3822
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by woodsghost » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:55 am

Ferie wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:06 am
I currently received my chl and currently looking for a gun to carry. I heard that a glock 19 gen 4 was a good gun for a women to carry. Is there a gun that is good for a women. Thanks
It looks like you live in California. CA has a lot of special restrictions on what pistols are allowed to be imported into CA, in addition to magazine restrictions. There is an "Approved Pistol" list which excludes most (all?) of the pistols mentioned in this thread. I believe the governor also implemented more restrictions on pistol ownership.

I would go into a gun store and ask what they have in stock and can legally sell you.

I think your best bet with legalities and ammo availability is probably going to be something called a "22 caliber pistol." My recommendation for such a gun would be a revolver, but I would consult with an in-state store owner about what they recommend out of the current stock on hand.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 2167
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.
Location: South East Florida
Contact:

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:04 am

California Certified for sale listing. https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-h ... ake=151003

They are friggin crazy, the list is so narrow they include the finishes of the handgun as a difference. I guess you can't custom cote anything over there if it takes it outside the list. does the finish make stuff more dangerous?

I don't see any really new stuff on the list either so M&P Shield EZ isn't and...

No Generation 4 or Generation 5 Glock handguns have been approved as of: Wednesday, November 18, 2020
No Glock handguns made in the USA have been approved as of: Wednesday, November 18, 2020

The EZ shield might be ok since its a Shield but you'd have to ask a LGS. No Rugers either. CZ's are listed.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel


Image
Image

User avatar
woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 3822
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by woodsghost » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:22 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:04 am
California Certified for sale listing. https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-h ... ake=151003

They are friggin crazy, the list is so narrow they include the finishes of the handgun as a difference. I guess you can't custom cote anything over there if it takes it outside the list. does the finish make stuff more dangerous?

I don't see any really new stuff on the list either so M&P Shield EZ isn't and...

No Generation 4 or Generation 5 Glock handguns have been approved as of: Wednesday, November 18, 2020
No Glock handguns made in the USA have been approved as of: Wednesday, November 18, 2020

The EZ shield might be ok since its a Shield but you'd have to ask a LGS. No Rugers either. CZ's are listed.
Ah, but wait! If you are CA law enforcement, the limits don't apply to you. You can buy whatever you want from wherever you want it from. And those can then be sold into the private market without restriction. A pistol merely needs to get past the import ban. So something like the Shield EZ could be bought in CA, if a law enforcement officer had first bought it and then sold it to someone to put it in circulation. However, pre-COVID, it would command 3x to 4x the normal price outside CA. Now that COVID and election concerns have hit, I cannot even guess what prices might be right now. Only someone local could say.

Honestly, one might look into private sales too rather than store sales, but as a new buyer, I would only buy from someone I had personally known for some years.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 884
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by raptor2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:53 am

emclean wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:39 am
A .22lr in the target always beats a .44 mag in the wall.
This is truth!

That is why for new CCW holders when asked I say chose that with which you can hit.
Ignore the caliber wars; the only thing that matters are on target hits. If that means a .22 LR ... so be it.
Duco Ergo Sum


raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

User avatar
woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 3822
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by woodsghost » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:11 am

What I'm about to say is in line with the thread title but not with the original question.

Given the potential difficulty in finding a pistol which meets the needs of concealed carry, maybe you still want a gun for protection?

A .22 caliber rifle sure beats a sharp stick or harsh words. A shotgun is also very useful. If getting a shotgun I would look for something called a "20 gauge." Or ask the store if they have something smaller than a 20 gauge. Bigger shotguns (such as a 12 gauge, the numbering system is backward) usually are more popular but carry more kick than is needed by a new shooter.

And none of my suggestions are "for women" but rather "for new shooters" and "when getting a gun is hard to do."

Anyway, just some ideas.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3952
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by moab » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:08 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:22 am
MacWa77ace wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:04 am
California Certified for sale listing. https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-h ... ake=151003

They are friggin crazy, the list is so narrow they include the finishes of the handgun as a difference. I guess you can't custom cote anything over there if it takes it outside the list. does the finish make stuff more dangerous?

I don't see any really new stuff on the list either so M&P Shield EZ isn't and...

No Generation 4 or Generation 5 Glock handguns have been approved as of: Wednesday, November 18, 2020
No Glock handguns made in the USA have been approved as of: Wednesday, November 18, 2020

The EZ shield might be ok since its a Shield but you'd have to ask a LGS. No Rugers either. CZ's are listed.
Ah, but wait! If you are CA law enforcement, the limits don't apply to you. You can buy whatever you want from wherever you want it from. And those can then be sold into the private market without restriction. A pistol merely needs to get past the import ban. So something like the Shield EZ could be bought in CA, if a law enforcement officer had first bought it and then sold it to someone to put it in circulation. However, pre-COVID, it would command 3x to 4x the normal price outside CA. Now that COVID and election concerns have hit, I cannot even guess what prices might be right now. Only someone local could say.

Honestly, one might look into private sales too rather than store sales, but as a new buyer, I would only buy from someone I had personally known for some years.
Im a CA FFL holder. But rarely do sales these days. Every gun sale has to go thru an ffl. No person to person sales. Yes. There is a list of handguns u can own. But they have to be on the list. Ya. Its like communist china here.

She needs to have someone knowledgeable go thru the list with her. Pick out a few usual suspects and try to find them in a local gun store. Or on www.calguns.com. from a private party. And then both go to the lgs. Calguns is THE gun forum in CA. You can also find legal help there.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 2167
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.
Location: South East Florida
Contact:

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:42 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:08 pm

Im a CA FFL holder. But rarely do sales these days. Every gun sale has to go thru an ffl. No person to person sales. Yes. There is a list of handguns u can own. But they have to be on the list. Ya. Its like communist china here.

She needs to have someone knowledgeable go thru the list with her. Pick out a few usual suspects and try to find them in a local gun store. Or on www.calguns.com. from a private party. And then both go to the lgs. Calguns is THE gun forum in CA. You can also find legal help there.
Is that correct that a CA LEO can buy/acquire/own off list guns?
If yes, then I'd assume there would be no transferability of those off list guns in CA if every private transfer has to go thru an FFL in CA. So that wouldn't work even if they wanted to get rid of one. They'd have to get rid of it in AZ or NV.

Are private transfers among family excluded from the requirement to go thru an FFL? If not that would also suck for off [or on] list guns that are to be inherited after death of a family member. That is a private transfer also and would have to go thru an FFL then in CA. How much do the FFL's charge for a transfer in CA? If say your Grandpa had 25 guns and just died a widower? How does that work over there? How much would it cost you to 'inherit' those guns.

And remember guys, whenever you hear the words 'gun show loophole' that really means 'private transfers' including inherited and gifts from fathers to sons, etc, for holidays, birthdays etc, since there's really no such thing as a 'gun show loophole' because anywhere private transfers are legal, its not a loophole, its just legal.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel


Image
Image

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3952
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by moab » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:59 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:42 pm
moab wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:08 pm

Im a CA FFL holder. But rarely do sales these days. Every gun sale has to go thru an ffl. No person to person sales. Yes. There is a list of handguns u can own. But they have to be on the list. Ya. Its like communist china here.

She needs to have someone knowledgeable go thru the list with her. Pick out a few usual suspects and try to find them in a local gun store. Or on www.calguns.com. from a private party. And then both go to the lgs. Calguns is THE gun forum in CA. You can also find legal help there.
Is that correct that a CA LEO can buy/acquire/own off list guns?
If yes, then I'd assume there would be no transferability of those off list guns in CA if every private transfer has to go thru an FFL in CA. So that wouldn't work even if they wanted to get rid of one. They'd have to get rid of it in AZ or NV.

Are private transfers among family excluded from the requirement to go thru an FFL? If not that would also suck for off [or on] list guns that are to be inherited after death of a family member. That is a private transfer also and would have to go thru an FFL then in CA. How much do the FFL's charge for a transfer in CA? If say your Grandpa had 25 guns and just died a widower? How does that work over there? How much would it cost you to 'inherit' those guns.

And remember guys, whenever you hear the words 'gun show loophole' that really means 'private transfers' including inherited and gifts from fathers to sons, etc, for holidays, birthdays etc, since there's really no such thing as a 'gun show loophole' because anywhere private transfers are legal, its not a loophole, its just legal.
I honestly dont know. Its why i dont do many transfers. Its an administrative nightmare. You could find out on calguns. I am basically holding my ffl as a gun rights protest. And waiting to use it in another state once we move. CA is just a mess. Such a huge beautiful state. Ruined by so many idiots.

Most transfers run from 35 to 50 or more. I would assume different ffls do bulk transfers. But its up to each one. Very few ffls in LA proper. Considering there are 25 million people in the city.

This state is a mess. And why i cant wait to move. If my wife was not waiting for a heart transplant i would have moved by now.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
lailr
* * * *
Posts: 877
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 1:14 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by lailr » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:49 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:04 pm
Ferie wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:06 am
I currently received my chl and currently looking for a gun to carry. I heard that a glock 19 gen 4 was a good gun for a women to carry. Is there a gun that is good for a women. Thanks
How much experience with pistols do you have? You should decide on how you will conceal carry before you buy the gun you will CC. On body or in your bag? Also what are the laws are regarding magazine capacity in your area? I'm assuming Santa Clara California and 10 rnd mag cap max.

[OFFT] Hmmm, there is a lady here at work who got her CWL first and then bought her first handgun after the license came thru. She wasn't even going to CC it, and I told her she didn't have to wait the months for the process to buy a gun. She waited. She also didn't listen to my selection advice either, and it turned out that she didn't like the expensive gun the LGS salesman put her into. I actually said, 'what ever you do, don't get a compact SA', because I knew she wouldn't be able to rack the slide. Guess what happened...? She got a compact and couldn't rack it. Then she said she wanted to get a Judge revolver. I said, 'you won't be able to pull the trigger.' Guess what happened next? Yep, she's asking me if there is a way to make the trigger lighter. :roll: [/OFFT]

OT: As semi auto pistols go, the Glock 19 is double stack and probably over capacity limits for Kalifornia. But a Glock 43 is single stack, so more easily concealable on body, more comfortable for on body concealed carry, and its capacity is 6+1. Which is Kalifornia friendly for now. Or Glock 43X which is 10+1, check your laws.

But not being a Glock guy, I say get a M&P®9 SHIELD™ EZ® NO THUMB SAFETY for an on body CCW. It's capacity is 8+1 and is thinner than Glock 19, same price range as Glock 43. And for a compact, its easy to rack the slide, hence the EZ in the name, YMMV.


Image

For beginners and off body carry; normally I'd say any full size, steel frame, SA in 9mm is beginner EZ IMO. Easier to handle, aim, rack, and recoil control than compacts or polymer frame guns. But to find that in a single stack with 10 rnd mag capacity limit for Kalifornia? That's going to be up there in price, $1000 and up [pre covid panic]. I don't have to deal with those magazine capacity restrictions in my state so haven't had to do research into it. But off the top of my head you're probably looking at Kimber, Sig X5 Legion or other 1911 style in 9mm. So I guess I'm not recommending that unless you've got the $$.

Then finally if you elect to carry on body or in your bag you will need to get a holster and a way to carry at least one extra magazine with you.

I'll second this! I equipped my shield with a Trijicon HD night sight, and I out shoot my larger pistols with it

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by NT2C » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:53 pm

lailr wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:49 pm
MacWa77ace wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:04 pm
Ferie wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:06 am
I currently received my chl and currently looking for a gun to carry. I heard that a glock 19 gen 4 was a good gun for a women to carry. Is there a gun that is good for a women. Thanks
How much experience with pistols do you have? You should decide on how you will conceal carry before you buy the gun you will CC. On body or in your bag? Also what are the laws are regarding magazine capacity in your area? I'm assuming Santa Clara California and 10 rnd mag cap max.

[OFFT] Hmmm, there is a lady here at work who got her CWL first and then bought her first handgun after the license came thru. She wasn't even going to CC it, and I told her she didn't have to wait the months for the process to buy a gun. She waited. She also didn't listen to my selection advice either, and it turned out that she didn't like the expensive gun the LGS salesman put her into. I actually said, 'what ever you do, don't get a compact SA', because I knew she wouldn't be able to rack the slide. Guess what happened...? She got a compact and couldn't rack it. Then she said she wanted to get a Judge revolver. I said, 'you won't be able to pull the trigger.' Guess what happened next? Yep, she's asking me if there is a way to make the trigger lighter. :roll: [/OFFT]

OT: As semi auto pistols go, the Glock 19 is double stack and probably over capacity limits for Kalifornia. But a Glock 43 is single stack, so more easily concealable on body, more comfortable for on body concealed carry, and its capacity is 6+1. Which is Kalifornia friendly for now. Or Glock 43X which is 10+1, check your laws.

But not being a Glock guy, I say get a M&P®9 SHIELD™ EZ® NO THUMB SAFETY for an on body CCW. It's capacity is 8+1 and is thinner than Glock 19, same price range as Glock 43. And for a compact, its easy to rack the slide, hence the EZ in the name, YMMV.


Image

For beginners and off body carry; normally I'd say any full size, steel frame, SA in 9mm is beginner EZ IMO. Easier to handle, aim, rack, and recoil control than compacts or polymer frame guns. But to find that in a single stack with 10 rnd mag capacity limit for Kalifornia? That's going to be up there in price, $1000 and up [pre covid panic]. I don't have to deal with those magazine capacity restrictions in my state so haven't had to do research into it. But off the top of my head you're probably looking at Kimber, Sig X5 Legion or other 1911 style in 9mm. So I guess I'm not recommending that unless you've got the $$.

Then finally if you elect to carry on body or in your bag you will need to get a holster and a way to carry at least one extra magazine with you.

I'll second this! I equipped my shield with a Trijicon HD night sight, and I out shoot my larger pistols with it
A) She's in California
B) It's not on the approved guns list
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

yossarian
* * * * *
Posts: 2184
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by yossarian » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:11 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:53 pm
A) She's in California
B) It's not on the approved guns list



C) No response or feedback on this thread or the intro thread from the OP, plus some syntax irregularities, mean this is probably a bot or troll.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by NT2C » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:14 am

yossarian wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:11 am
NT2C wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:53 pm

A) She's in California
B) It's not on the approved guns list
C) No response or feedback on this thread or the intro thread from the OP, plus some syntax irregularities, mean this is probably a bot or troll.
D) Personally, I think about 85% of y'all are bots or trolls, but that's a tale for a different thread. The account was vetted through several places to check for that and came up clean.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

tony d tiger
* * *
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by tony d tiger » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:27 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:14 am
yossarian wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:11 am
NT2C wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:53 pm

A) She's in California
B) It's not on the approved guns list
C) No response or feedback on this thread or the intro thread from the OP, plus some syntax irregularities, mean this is probably a bot or troll.
D) Personally, I think about 85% of y'all are bots or trolls, but that's a tale for a different thread. The account was vetted through several places to check for that and came up clean.
Definitely not a bot... :oops:
Tony D Tiger

User avatar
woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 3822
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by woodsghost » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:06 pm

Yeah....I'm totally a bot... The ah....the bottyiest.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
lailr
* * * *
Posts: 877
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 1:14 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by lailr » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:30 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:53 pm
lailr wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:49 pm
MacWa77ace wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:04 pm
Ferie wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:06 am
I currently received my chl and currently looking for a gun to carry. I heard that a glock 19 gen 4 was a good gun for a women to carry. Is there a gun that is good for a women. Thanks
How much experience with pistols do you have? You should decide on how you will conceal carry before you buy the gun you will CC. On body or in your bag? Also what are the laws are regarding magazine capacity in your area? I'm assuming Santa Clara California and 10 rnd mag cap max.

[OFFT] Hmmm, there is a lady here at work who got her CWL first and then bought her first handgun after the license came thru. She wasn't even going to CC it, and I told her she didn't have to wait the months for the process to buy a gun. She waited. She also didn't listen to my selection advice either, and it turned out that she didn't like the expensive gun the LGS salesman put her into. I actually said, 'what ever you do, don't get a compact SA', because I knew she wouldn't be able to rack the slide. Guess what happened...? She got a compact and couldn't rack it. Then she said she wanted to get a Judge revolver. I said, 'you won't be able to pull the trigger.' Guess what happened next? Yep, she's asking me if there is a way to make the trigger lighter. :roll: [/OFFT]

OT: As semi auto pistols go, the Glock 19 is double stack and probably over capacity limits for Kalifornia. But a Glock 43 is single stack, so more easily concealable on body, more comfortable for on body concealed carry, and its capacity is 6+1. Which is Kalifornia friendly for now. Or Glock 43X which is 10+1, check your laws.

But not being a Glock guy, I say get a M&P®9 SHIELD™ EZ® NO THUMB SAFETY for an on body CCW. It's capacity is 8+1 and is thinner than Glock 19, same price range as Glock 43. And for a compact, its easy to rack the slide, hence the EZ in the name, YMMV.


Image

For beginners and off body carry; normally I'd say any full size, steel frame, SA in 9mm is beginner EZ IMO. Easier to handle, aim, rack, and recoil control than compacts or polymer frame guns. But to find that in a single stack with 10 rnd mag capacity limit for Kalifornia? That's going to be up there in price, $1000 and up [pre covid panic]. I don't have to deal with those magazine capacity restrictions in my state so haven't had to do research into it. But off the top of my head you're probably looking at Kimber, Sig X5 Legion or other 1911 style in 9mm. So I guess I'm not recommending that unless you've got the $$.

Then finally if you elect to carry on body or in your bag you will need to get a holster and a way to carry at least one extra magazine with you.

I'll second this! I equipped my shield with a Trijicon HD night sight, and I out shoot my larger pistols with it
A) She's in California
B) It's not on the approved guns list

My bad then, figured since it was Single stack, low capacity it would be California compliant

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by NT2C » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:49 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:27 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:14 am
yossarian wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:11 am
NT2C wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:53 pm

A) She's in California
B) It's not on the approved guns list
C) No response or feedback on this thread or the intro thread from the OP, plus some syntax irregularities, mean this is probably a bot or troll.
D) Personally, I think about 85% of y'all are bots or trolls, but that's a tale for a different thread. The account was vetted through several places to check for that and came up clean.
Definitely not a bot... :oops:
She wasn't either... But she was a human spammer who has now gone bye bye. :twisted:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

yossarian
* * * * *
Posts: 2184
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: Guns for women chl holders

Post by yossarian » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:49 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:49 pm
tony d tiger wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:27 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:14 am
yossarian wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:11 am


C) No response or feedback on this thread or the intro thread from the OP, plus some syntax irregularities, mean this is probably a bot or troll.
D) Personally, I think about 85% of y'all are bots or trolls, but that's a tale for a different thread. The account was vetted through several places to check for that and came up clean.
Definitely not a bot... :oops:
She wasn't either... But she was a human spammer who has now gone bye bye. :twisted:
Spammer/Troll either way, Good riddance.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Post Reply

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”