Starting out

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Re: Starting out

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:36 pm

the_alias wrote:...Real question: I'm cross dominant (left eye dominant - right handed) - Should I learn to shoot this rifle left landed??
Welcome to the US and congratulations on your build!

My son is also left eye dominant / right handed and he prefers to shoot lefty with shotguns...still prefers right handed with ARs and pistols though. I think with enough work, he'd be a natural lefty.

Bottom line is that you can train yourself to shoot either way. For that matter, as long as there's no physical reason your right eye isn't dominant (i.e. blind) I've participated in research that shows you can change your eye dominance (at least temporarily) with enough time and work...added bonus: every day is pirate day while you're training your brain with the eye patch!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:52 pm

the_alias wrote:Sure it's an Anderson lower I picked up at a Gun Show and it's a PSA upper + BCG and the lower parts kit and basic trigger and guard also all PSA.

It has a BCM charging handle.

I do need to stake the Castle Nut still---probably pick up a tool for that.

I need Iron Sights still so throw recommendations out. This being CO I'll also be stocking some 15 round mags if anyone happens to have one they like (Thermold seem to be looking ok).
All I use to stake the castle nut is a good steel point punch and a hammer...especially if your end plate is aluminum. Doesn't take much to drive a bit of metal into the castle nut notch. A little Blue Locktite doesn't hurt either. Just make sure the lower is secured or at least flat on a padded surface (remove the buttstock first) before you start swinging that hammer.

Hard to go wrong with basic Magpul MBUS for the money... YMMV and I'm sure you'll get as many opinions as there are people on this board.

I have tons of mags that predate the CO ban if you're allowed to buy them...I'm sure many others here on ZS can help too. PM me if you need any.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:04 am

Thanks for the mag offer but I think that would not be kosher - it's fine though - who knows where I will end up for the longer term in the US! For now I'm content to make do and practice reloads more often :lol:

Found a good local range, friendly people, good ventilation, $40 unlimited monthly use. My protective glasses for shooting actually are glasses with interchangeable lenses so I will probably use a sunglass lens in one.

CO is also an amazing place - did my first 14er the other weekend, Longs. 2:30am start and summited around 7:30.
A shot of some of the scrambling you do

Plus I love I can go fly fishing after work with but a 10-15 minute drive.
Man is a beast of prey

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:13 pm

That's beautiful... Great pic.

Our first house was in Florissant, CO just above a series of three lakes and the view was very similar to that. Thanks for the nostalgic trip down memory lane!

We bought that house right after I graduated from the AF Academy for my inlaws to live in and fix up; put in the minimum bid on a V.A. repossession and got it because no one else bid! We never actually lived there since Uncle Sugar kept us moving around back in that stage of my career, but loved visiting over the several years my wife's parents spent fixing it up.

Sometimes wish we'd never sold...espcially when I see photos like the one you posted above.

Again, welcome to the US and looking forward to hearing of / reading about your adventures!

delarey

Post by delarey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Welcome to the US! I came over in 2002. I take it you came over on a Green card?
Good build you did there. If you want a nice long range hunting rifle for antelope, look at 6.5 grendel upper for your AR.
Also, once you get your pistol, apply for a conceal carry permit. One of the best things I did after I came to the US. I got my citizenship about 2 months ago. This is a great country...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:31 am

The four years we lived in Colorado were very nice. You never ran out of stuff to do outdoors.

If you are near the Springs make sure to visit the Dragon Man. It is quite an experience if he is still around.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:49 pm

Stercutus wrote:The four years we lived in Colorado were very nice. You never ran out of stuff to do outdoors.

If you are near the Springs make sure to visit the Dragon Man. It is quite an experience if he is still around.
Yup - just got first morning of Skiing today :clap:
delarey wrote:Welcome to the US! I came over in 2002. I take it you came over on a Green card?
Good build you did there. If you want a nice long range hunting rifle for antelope, look at 6.5 grendel upper for your AR.
Also, once you get your pistol, apply for a conceal carry permit. One of the best things I did after I came to the US. I got my citizenship about 2 months ago. This is a great country...

Nah, I am a US citizen - mentioned earlier in the thread. Congrats on becoming a citizen! I'll keep a 6.5 grendel upper in mind :)
Man is a beast of prey

delarey

Post by delarey » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:07 pm

the_alias wrote:
Stercutus wrote:The four years we lived in Colorado were very nice. You never ran out of stuff to do outdoors.

Yup - just got first morning of Skiing today :clap:
delarey wrote:Welcome to the US! I came over in 2002. I take it you came over on a Green card?

Nah, I am a US citizen - mentioned earlier in the thread. Congrats on becoming a citizen! I'll keep a 6.5 grendel upper in mind :)
Ah, I must have missed it. Congrats!

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”