It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vehicle holsters?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:12 pm 

Anybody have experience with the under steering wheel holsters?
Mrs. has dropped hints for Christmas. She is a CASA volunteer, so some of the neighborhoods she may go are not exactly "upscale".
Firearm will be a Springfield XD40 or Sig P238.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Vehicle holsters?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:42 pm 

This is for my patrol vehicle so YMMV.

I have no experience with under the steering wheel holsters but I had given it a lot of thought. I moved away from it because I felt the draw would be awkward and obstructed too much, especially under stress. I have also tried a holster attached to the right side of the driver's seat but that was an awkward draw as well. I ended up using a DeSantis Inside Heat holster and clipped it to the mount for my radio's speaker. It works for me and the draw is unobstructed and straight up and the gun is fairly inconspicuous even when I'm not in the vehicle. Obviously this won't work for most vehicles but there are ways to make it work. After trying several things I really advocate for holstering somewhere on the right side of the driver area near the center console/ gear shift area if you can. In my experience this is the easiest/ quickest draw. Again you may have a different result. I would recommend sitting normally in the vehicle and practicing the movements that you would do if the gun was mounted under the steering wheel. Try to see how and where the gun would get hung up on the steering wheel or your legs or whatever else may be in the way. If it ends up working for you (her) then great. I looked at a ton of pictures and videos of how others had their set up and finally went with what I described because it works for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:20 pm 

vehicle is an older Lincoln, so no center console. There is a large open area over the center hump/under the AC that might be usable. This would avoid problems with legs in the way. Seats are too close together to put pistol between them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:52 pm 

In that case, if under the steering wheel is the best option then go with that. Perhaps you can fashion a holster mounted to the "hump". Do a quick google image search for ideas, that's where I started.