Newbie questions about iwb vs owb, training and else

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

boomas

Newbie questions about iwb vs owb, training and else

Post by boomas » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:33 am

As a new Glock 26 owner (and newbie to guns too) I have some questions. If these questions have been answered before on the forum, don't be angry - just re-direct me. Thank you in advance.
1. Which Glock forum is the most useful\resourceful? I found quite a few and I can't figure out which to join.
2. Grip extension. What would be your recommendations? Or just get over it and go without it?
3. Gun holster. Cannot decide between owb or iwb. My lifestyle dictates to go with iwb, but a friend recommends against it. For him iwb failed several times, then he had to holster the gun back in and he couldn't because the holster collapsed (got flattened). Also he told me that I would have issues with iwb while driving. In my country I do not have a lot of examples of iwb to try on, so my purchase will have to be strictly based on recommendations and reviews from internet. What is your opinion on this iwb vs owb? Also, is there any iwb holsters which do not collapse?
4. I will be starting shooting classes, but only from January 2016. In the mean time I would like to train\get familiar with my glock at home. No shooting, just some practice without bullets. Any online classes, youtube video I should watch. Any books I should read?

CK14

Re: Newbie questions about iwb vs owb, training and else

Post by CK14 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:27 am

IWB is the best way to conceal, but you have to decide if you can live with the slight discomfort for a while until you get used to it. I have owned several iwb holsters and they are all terribly uncomfortable EXCEPT for the Crossbreed. It is made of Kydex and leather so it will not flatten when the gun is drawn. It took me a few days, maybe a week to get comfortable wearing it, after that I hardly noticed it, it just became part if my daily wear.

As far as grip extensions go, the bigger the gun the harder to conceal. If I'm concealing a firearm I want it to disappear so only I know its there.
Pee when you can, eat when you can.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:14 pm

Clichéd expression but no less true... Concealed carry is meant to be comforting, not comfortable.

I used to carry IWB exclusively but now that the laws are greatly relaxed here in Tejas only carry OWB.

Much more comfortable and an easier draw...not that I've ever done it in anything other than training...and hope I never do. I need more training though, have gotten very rusty due to the lack of free time in my new post-.mil career/life.

Whatever you choose, get as much training as you can afford...in time and money. Draw drills from your carry holster and working on site picture is time well spent as long as you know what you're doing and don't reinforce bad habits.

If you have no formal training or experience from the military or other career with martial training in a manual of arms, I strongly recommend getting a class or two under your belt before doing much more than familializing yourself with your firearm.

And above all, if you're going to carry, make Jeff Cooper's rules of firearms as natural to your life as breathing:

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

boomas

Post by boomas » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:10 am

I liked this idea "Concealed carry is meant to be comforting, not comfortable". Thanks for the answers.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:12 pm

I would grab a G17 magazine or two for training reloads. Magazine is almost twice as big as the G26, much easier to grab and manipulate.

I have a galco kingtuk, very similar to the crossbreed mentioned earlier. Both are good choices.

My G19 and kingtuk disappear under a polo shirt. I can drive all day with the gun at 7-8 o'clock on my waist.

Professional training is a high priority, glad to see you seem to have things in order. I took a 3 day pistol course this summer and it really tightened up my handgun skills.

Practicing a safe draw from concealment, dry firing, and reloads will go a long way for a beginner.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:22 pm

If you are carrying a Glock IWB, especially appendix carry (in the front), I'd recommend a kydex holster over a leather or fabric one. Leather and fabric holsters will compress if there isn't a gun in them, it's not a failure, just how they work. But the big reason I recommend kydex is because it's rigid and will protect the trigger better.

If you look around you'll find people who have fired their gun negligently while holstering, because the leather got old and tipped in and caught the trigger. If your gun has a safety that isn't on the trigger, it's not a big deal. In a Glock if you pull the trigger it's going to fire. A kydex holster will prevent that possible issue.

As far as where to carry, that's often dictated by your body shape and how you dress. I can carry a single stack OWB in the winter, but can't manage that with double stack guns like the 26.

Good luck!
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:59 pm

I carry a Glock 27 (same size as your 26, but 40 caliber) in a Fist IWB holster and I find it to be more comfortable than the OWB Blackhawk holster I use to shoot IDPA.

I use the Blackhawk for IDPA because it does hold the gun out from my side a little more allowing a slightly faster draw. The fact that it is farther out, and also more exposed below my belt makes it less ideal for concealed carry however. In IDPA most everyone wears a vest as a concealment garment so the OWB is most commonly used.

Could I wear the OWB as a concealed holster, yes, but it would be a lot easier for someone to notice the bulge or see the tip of the gun sticking out from a cover garment.

The IWB also is stiff enough to allow re-holstering. I have used it to shoot IDPA so again the draw and re-holstering issue are not that much of an issue with a quality holster. I think the people that have trouble with IWB holsters are purchasing the in-expensive Uncle Mikes nylon ones. If you buy a quality holster with a reinforced top you should be OK with IWB and it does conceal much better.

Some people have mentioned the crossbreed and the king tuk holsters, you hardly ever see any bad reviews on those. I think Alienware makes a very similar holster and as I said, I like my Fist leather holster and it would work for you also. I have the #11 combination holster so I could wear it OWB also but I think I only tried it that way once when I first got it 6 years ago. Since the IWB is just as comfortable to me I just use it that way.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/11.htm

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”