Most common ammo's in US?

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Most common ammo's in US?

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:47 pm

Halfapint wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:(Stuff I learned as a Navy Gunner's Mate 40+ years ago)
That's the kind of information that gives me hope. I figured cool dry place would be best spot for ammo. Stored in sealed ammo cans the ammo SHOULD be good for a number of years.
In 1974 we were shooting stuff that was still left over from WWII. Now, granted, ammunition storage in the Navy was taken very seriously (one of my duties was to check and record the previous day's maximum and minimum temperature in every magazine, cargo hold or deck locker that held ammunition or pyrotechnics on the entire ship), so pretty near ideal conditions for storage (we used up or sent back to depot anything that had prolonged exposure to high temps) but still, some of that stuff was over 30 years old and still functioned to spec. Store it right and ammo will last a long, long time.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:56 pm

I"ve shot a lot of Serbian ammo from the 70's. All of it works. I"ve shot Russian ammo from the 70's and all of it worked beautifully.

I also know a lot of pharmaceuticals last way beyond their expiration dates when stored and sealed in factory containers. The government knows this too and runs two different expiration dates, one for consumers, and one for government stockpiles. So *some* chemicals are very stable when stored properly.

Do your own due diligence before keeping drugs past their expiration dates though.

Also, I have shot ammo which was factory new and less than 12 months old and it had a 10% failure rate (centerfire, not rimfire...which is a whole different can of worms). So when I buy ammo for long term storage, I buy military grade stuff. It is not the most accurate, but it is usually has the best shelf life. I also like buying LE grade stuff for similar reasons. Governments and I happen to have a lot of the same processes for a lot of the same reasons.

Buying in hermetically sealed cans is also pretty cool.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:36 pm

What calibers would most likely be effected by an ammo ban?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:20 am

JF89 wrote:What calibers would most likely be effected by an ammo ban?
Pretty much all or none. That's assuming you mean affected and not effected.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:09 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
Lol in the past the left has targeted specific calibers like 5.56, 30-06 etc etc.thats what I was asking about.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:20 am

JF89 wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
Lol in the past the left has targeted specific calibers like 5.56, 30-06 etc etc.thats what I was asking about.
I bet if there were some sort of non-universal ammo ban, it would be towards military/police rounds or rifle-out-of-pistol rounds.

But I think if there is going to be anything, it will be an insane tax so only rich people can shoot.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:12 am

JF89 wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
Such a ban, at least in the US, has little chance of happening. I won't say "never", because that would be stupid. In any case, what you're talking about is a ban on specific cartridges, not calibers. (Caliber refers to the bullet diameter in small arms.)

The reason you won't see such a flat out ban in the US is because making and supplying that ammo is a multi-billion dollar industry (likely multi-trillion, I haven't researched the exact figures) in the US and because both cartridges are common hunting cartridges with the right bullets. (On the plus side, I'd almost be willing to bet that if such a ban did somehow get pushed, the law would be full of more holes than a stop sign on a deserted country road.)

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:17 am

JeeperCreeper wrote: But I think if there is going to be anything, it will be an insane tax so only rich people can shoot.
Possibly, but I think the resulting hue and cry from the pro gun side and the ammunition industry would be tremendous, and many congress critters would tremble in fear of seeing their re-election hopes vanish like a snowflake falling into a campfire.

In any case, it's hard to keep this topic from veering into politics, so I'll be bowing out now. G'day gents!

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:29 am

If you are worried about an ammo shortage I would note that ammo is still cheap. This is a good time to buy ammo for stockpile purposes.

echo83

Post by echo83 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:25 pm

moab wrote:
So I guess what I'm weighing in my mind. Is which ammo is lightest and most readily available?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:35 pm

echo83 wrote:
moab wrote:
So I guess what I'm weighing in my mind. Is which ammo is lightest and most readily available?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Another election cycle and we might just be stockpiling that shit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”