Most common ammo's in US?

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Most common ammo's in US?

Post by moab » Sat May 30, 2015 11:03 am

Been reading firearms threads this morning. And seriously opening my eyes to what my preps are as far as my chosen firearms and ammo. Like that fact that my AK ammo is not as heavy compared to 5.56 as I thought. It's a lb more per 100 rounds. But still not as bad as I thought it would be.

7.62X39
Wolf Steel Case 122gr FMJ
Rounds per pound:27.59
Weight per 100 rounds(lbs):3.63

.223/5.56X45
(milsurp) British Radway Green SS109 63gr
Rounds per pound: 37.21
Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 2.69

My eyes were also opened to the idea of interchangeable parts of all the firearms in my group. And the common usability of the weapons. I'm firmly in the AK/Glock camps. But seriously thinking about making my firearms preps as modular as possible. Meaning the same rifle and pistol amongst our group as possible.

I had considered switching from 7.62 to 5.45. Simply for weight reasons. But am concerned about the commonality of that round in the US. There can't be as much 5.45 in the US as there is 7.62. And probably even more 5.56 than either of those.

***But my real question is what are the most commonly found rounds in the US - pistol and long arm? 5.56? 9mm? Where would one find numbers for this type of question? ARe these numbers even tabulated by anyone?***

I'd like to know that it's not going to be hard to find more ammo should I run out in a total breakdown etc. I know I know. I have bigger problems if that happens. But still. I'd like to know I'm prepping with the firearms that are most likely to be fed after my own ammo runs out. I build 7.62 AK's. Which is common enough. I guess. But I also have a .357 SIG Glock. That I got as a gift. Seriously considering another handgun/round for bugging out/inch etc. Perhaps a Glock in 9mm is a better choice for sure.

So I guess what I'm weighing in my mind. Is which ammo is lightest and most readily available?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

jor-el

Re: Most common ammo's in US?

Post by jor-el » Sat May 30, 2015 1:10 pm

I believe you've already touched on the fact .22LR is by far the most frequently purchased and manufactured round of ammo. Everyone, including .mil and .LEO use it for training. Farmers and homesteaders use it for pest control because its cheap per round and generally accurate.

I would say the next most common round is either 9MM or .223Rem/5.56NATO. Both are currently in use by the military and most law enforcement. They are constantly in demand and manufactured.

After that it's a tossup on .38SPL/.357M or 12 Gauge. I don't think too many .38s are being made these days, but that's because so many quality duty grade revolvers are floating around the used gun markets. The L frame Smiths and Ruger GP series were built for lifetime use with full power .357 rounds and .38s hardly stress the gun at all.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Sat May 30, 2015 8:48 pm

Some good news for your Glock: Get a Lone Wolf conversion barrel, and you have yourself a 9mm Glock without having to buy another pistol. It's just as cool as it sounds. As for common caliber, I'm not a hunter so I can only comment on the tacticool guys because I worked at a retailer to pay rent for a while. This was my experience running paperwork for a few dozen guns a day at a large retailer which also sold ammo and accessories, plus my wandering the competition circuit. I would also be curious if anyone could provide hard numbers as you requested. In my area most if not all police departments have switched from 9mm to .40 in the last couple decades due to effective Glock marketing in the 90s for department trade-ins. The average pistol owner is more likely to own a 9mm if they only own one pistol, while the 1911 guys are still around and proud it's more of a niche.

I wish I were a hunter and could comment on those rounds, but in the black rifle category you're going to find most people hunting down .223 under the belief that it's a fraction cheaper than 5.56. They're mostly interchangeable if you shop around, but Joe Six Pack at Bass Pro Shops will go for .223. I always get envious of the AK guys at competitions running palettes of steel Tula and Wolf while the AR guys had to run brass. But while everyone online is split between AR and AK, nationally you're going to find an overwhelming about of ARs sitting in safes because of its military heritage. You may find a few AKs around in collections, but the people who are actively shooting their AK and have a stash of ammunition and parts are a much smaller community. I do not know of any big box stores that sell 5.45, which will make it extremely hard to find if you're expecting to trade for it down the line.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat May 30, 2015 10:00 pm

I too have a .357 Sig Glock. G31C-K, by which I mean poorly shaved grip to 19 length. It wears a 9mm barrel for shooting cheap. Have a G23 with a threaded 9mm barrel too. The reason I like ARs better than AKs is because the caliber changes don't require any tools, just a new upper and possibly mags.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat May 30, 2015 10:33 pm

I'm of the thought that besides .22lr, the other most common in the us would be 9mm and .223/5.56.

How about this for a quandary. If you're thinking SHTF mad max (hey it just came out so why not?). Maybe some really strange uncommon cambered weapons would be good to have around. Socom .458? 10gauge? Strange Eastern block calibers? Just a thought.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

stickle
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by stickle » Sat May 30, 2015 10:53 pm

One of the moments that I realized that I needed to be a prepper was when I watched 'Road Warrior' at the theater in the early 80's.

I could have ruled that world with a 10/22 and a brick of CCI Stingers!

I say first collect what you can then collect what you like so you can live with your choices.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:08 pm

I have no way to prove it, but my thoughts are:

9mm
7.62x39
12ga
.38spl

A .40 handgun might not be a bad idea, too. Seems like that caliber is always on the shelf during panics. Getting into reloading would be a good idea if you are prepping, I save a lot of money like that.

Realistically all I care about stacking deep is 9x19 (G17), .223, and 12ga.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sun May 31, 2015 1:23 pm

7.62x39 has a certain popularity mostly because of its relative low price per round and high energy per round. That its a fair ballistic peer of the .30-30 is a big plus and not so many years ago SKS rifles were perceived as the gun to have for everything (priced at 100 bucks or less didn't hurt).

If we don't count cheap import ammo sources, the price advantage goes away and supplies dry up. As has been demonstrated, any of the nations that produce MFS, RUAG, Tula or Wolf are just an executive order away from disappearing. The big three (Federal, Remington and Winchester) have few offerings for this caliber and hunting grade soft points and hollow points are well into a dollar or more per round. And you could forget buying in bulk.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun May 31, 2015 2:16 pm

IMO that question is very difficult to quantify. Also it matters if you are talking about rounds sold, total dollars sales or number of firearms chambered in a specific round.

The site Lucky Gunner published their 2013 stats which since it is only one site and they may not have had either sufficient inventory and/or may have been more competitive in pricing on certain calibers but not others, is not definitive, still it is interesting and germane to the question.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/2013-ammo-stats/

They list 9mm, 223 and then .45acp. They do not however list 7.62x39 which IMO shows the flaw in this data.

Which was similar to 2012 stats.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/04/lucky ... -for-2012/

BY the way the Bureau of Labor Statistics keeps detailed records on the small arms industry which details everything except caliber quantity. :wink:

edited to add:
BTW If the question is which caliber has the most firearms chambered for it in existence today, I am going going to guess 12 gauge, 30-30 or .30-06 due to the fact that there are very old calibers (gauge) and thus have two world wars and at about a 50+ year head start all except the.45 and the 9mm.

jwakefield9685
Favorite Zombie Movies: shawn of the dead, Zombieland, Syfy b films!

Post by jwakefield9685 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:33 am

i have several 9mms. i picked up a glock 23 with a lone wolf barrel jsut for the 40 cabability

hondo

Post by hondo » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:27 pm

Depends on part of the Country, for example in Vermont it would be 270 Win., 25-06, 30-06 ,223, 7,62x39 and 9 and 45ACP for handguns.

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:55 pm

I assume he is asking about ammo in open circulation, which could be a toss up (I still say 9mm/5.56 is still a safe bet) but if we are talking total number of rounds in existence in north america I'd be shocked if it wasn't 5.56. how much of the military/national guard ammunition is stored stateside? Nearly every police vehicle I see has an AR in it so I assume nearly every police station has a stash of it too, so even if handgun caliber is split 9mm/.40; .223 is going to be universal.
Of course you won't find me or any ZSer looking around those places for ammo, but given enough time post-industrial-collapse and that stuff will find its way onto the market one way or another.

A few years ago I might have thought it was a toss up between 7.62x39 and 5.56, but that might have been a vocal minority on the internet skewing my perception. with raising AK prices and dropping AR prices I don't see any way for 7.62x39 to compete, or the trend changing any time soon.

I have a tough time accepting that any hunting round can hold the title in nearly any region of the country, for one there is a wide diversity of hunting calibers (even if 30.06 and .308 have dominance) and for two nobody stacks up 10k rounds of their favorite deer ammo. It only takes a few black rifle guys stacking it deep to outcompete a whole countryside of hunters.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:12 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:I assume he is asking about ammo in open circulation, which could be a toss up (I still say 9mm/5.56 is still a safe bet) but if we are talking total number of rounds in existence in north america I'd be shocked if it wasn't 5.56. how much of the military/national guard ammunition is stored stateside? Nearly every police vehicle I see has an AR in it so I assume nearly every police station has a stash of it too, so even if handgun caliber is split 9mm/.40; .223 is going to be universal.
Of course you won't find me or any ZSer looking around those places for ammo, but given enough time post-industrial-collapse and that stuff will find its way onto the market one way or another.

A few years ago I might have thought it was a toss up between 7.62x39 and 5.56, but that might have been a vocal minority on the internet skewing my perception. with raising AK prices and dropping AR prices I don't see any way for 7.62x39 to compete, or the trend changing any time soon.

I have a tough time accepting that any hunting round can hold the title in nearly any region of the country, for one there is a wide diversity of hunting calibers (even if 30.06 and .308 have dominance) and for two nobody stacks up 10k rounds of their favorite deer ammo. It only takes a few black rifle guys stacking it deep to outcompete a whole countryside of hunters.
I agree with this completely.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

hondo

Post by hondo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:24 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:I assume he is asking about ammo in open circulation, which could be a toss up (I still say 9mm/5.56 is still a safe bet) but if we are talking total number of rounds in existence in north america I'd be shocked if it wasn't 5.56. how much of the military/national guard ammunition is stored stateside? Nearly every police vehicle I see has an AR in it so I assume nearly every police station has a stash of it too, so even if handgun caliber is split 9mm/.40; .223 is going to be universal.

I did not get impression that question is what ammo I should be most likely to loot instead what ammo one expect to be most common and easier to find ?

If you pay attention I wrote depends on part of the country and after naming most common hunting calibers as in ammo that you can find for sale in any general store/ gas station in small town in Vermont I listed 223,7,62x39 mm and 9mm and 45 ACP

Frieslander

Post by Frieslander » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:59 pm

I have to know what domestic manufacturers are building for work.

For handguns it is generally in this order (.45 Auto and .38 Special flip occasionally):

1) 9x19mm
2) .45 Automatic
3) .38 Special
4) .40 S&W
5) .357 Magnum
6) .380 Auto
7) Everything else

For rifles it is something like this:

1) .223
2) .308
3) .30-06
4) .270
5) .243
6) Everything else

9mm and .40 S&W are not split down the middle as is commonly believed, and .40 S&W is never prioritized over .45 Auto or .38 Special on the commercial market.

Americans love .45-caliber handguns and revolvers.

E: As has been said, geography strongly influences sales. .30-30 will show more strongly in less wide-open states. I have not looked in a while at rifle figures (I am more plugged-in to handgun sales) so there is a chance .243 Win might be higher now, it has been gaining ground for quite some time.

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:10 pm

Frieslander wrote:I have to know what domestic manufacturers are building for work.

For handguns it is generally in this order (.45 Auto and .38 Special flip occasionally):

1) 9x19mm
2) .45 Automatic
3) .38 Special
4) .40 S&W
5) .357 Magnum
6) .380 Auto
7) Everything else

For rifles it is something like this:

1) .223
2) .308
3) .30-06
4) .270
5) .243
6) Everything else

9mm and .40 S&W are not split down the middle as is commonly believed, and .40 S&W is never prioritized over .45 Auto or .38 Special on the commercial market.

Americans love .45-caliber handguns and revolvers.

E: As has been said, geography strongly influences sales. .30-30 will show more strongly in less wide-open states. I have not looked in a while at rifle figures (I am more plugged-in to handgun sales) so there is a chance .243 Win might be higher now, it has been gaining ground for quite some time.
much appreciated, always nice to hear something concrete.
I guess I'm only surprised by .38sp and number 4 & 5 on rifles, everything else I would have guessed. I do forget sometimes how many of some calibers are almost totally imported, and how domestic manufacture is nearly zilch.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Frieslander

Post by Frieslander » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:58 am

RonnyRonin wrote: much appreciated, always nice to hear something concrete.
I guess I'm only surprised by .38sp and number 4 & 5 on rifles, everything else I would have guessed. I do forget sometimes how many of some calibers are almost totally imported, and how domestic manufacture is nearly zilch.
Yes, imports are a big deal - which is something people should consider when picking out a long gun. As is self-evident, 5.45x39/7.62x54R rely almost exclusively on imports and 7.62x39 is essentially imported as well (I'd have to look to get a solid feel for how much is made domestically, because some is, but I don't want to start oversharing). .223 is actually pretty strongly imported too, but the average consumer should be able to figure that out for themselves.

Reading back through what I wrote, I realize that I had typical .45 Auto and .40 S&W numbers flipped in my head - .40 S&W is generally number two, but 9mm is several multiples bigger. .45 Auto will never outrun .40 S&W.

.45 Auto and .38 Special run around the same (.45 Auto is slightly prioritized).

Also I should note with rifle cartridges - it's going to vary by manufacturer (but .223 is definitely number one). Most of this you can reason through yourself. ATK (pre-Vista) administered Lake City and had access to bigger pools of .308 than typical, for instance. According to their corporate publications Vista Outdoor (which is half of ATK post-split, if anyone doesn't know) still has a special relationship with Orbital ATK (the other half of ATK, which still administers Lake City) and presumably buys high-volume .223 and .308 from them. Another good example is the way .300 Blackout is very obviously being backing hard by AAC's parent company - you should be able to deduce that Remington will run a lot more .300 Blackout more than other companies will.

Also, I think I'm underestimating .30-30 and overestimating .243 Win. I think a better list for the domestic manufacturing base as a whole would probably be something like this:

1) .223
2) .308 & .30-06
3) .270
4) .30-30
5) .243

Earth-shattering revelations, I know.

.30-06 and .308 are close to tied in the US, which makes sense since they use a lot of the same components.

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:29 pm

I agree with Raptor, using the LuckyGunner stats is a good start.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/2013-ammo-stats/

They're a major nationwide online retailer, and they posted their stats for 2012 as well and it DID include 7.62x39. See http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/2012-ammo-stats/

This very strongly leads me to believe 7.62x39 is lower significantly. That said, having an embargo on Russian ammo imports for a while will mess with any of these stats.
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:02 am

Also the numbers could have been impacted by supply issues for .22LR. Can't sell it, if you don't have it.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:28 pm

NamelessStain wrote:Also the numbers could have been impacted by supply issues for .22LR. Can't sell it, if you don't have it.
That concept is the key flaw to relying too much on this data alone. Thier sales are affected by what they have in inventory as well as the price they charge.

If they charge more than the market will bear, they will probably sell less of it.

The numbers for 9mm sales will be skewed downward if for example they charge $50 for box of Tula steel case 9mm. Inversely if they sold the Tula 9mm for $5.00 a box they would see huge jump in demand.

That and as noted if they do not stock it they cannot sell it.

Still even though it only one data point, it is an interesting data point. They seem to price based upon market levels and thus IMO their key cause for variation would likely be inventory levels.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:02 pm

moab wrote: ***But my real question is what are the most commonly found rounds in the US - pistol and long arm? 5.56? 9mm? Where would one find numbers for this type of question? ARe these numbers even tabulated by anyone?***

I'd like to know that it's not going to be hard to find more ammo should I run out in a total breakdown etc. I know I know. I have bigger problems if that happens. But still. I'd like to know I'm prepping with the firearms that are most likely to be fed after my own ammo runs out.
Having just stumbled across this thread my immediate first thought is that in a SHTF scenario, the most common ammo is what's going to run out first, and be the least easiest to find after the first 24 hours. If it's a caliber that "everyone" has, then everyone is going to be buying as much of it as possible when the ball drops. I think that maybe having (and being proficient with) a firearm or two in a less popular caliber might be a good strategy. Things like .44 special instead of magnum, or .38 special instead on .357 mag are okay, but most owners of those magnums know full well that they can chamber and fire the lesser rounds, and will grab those up in a heartbeat if they can't find the magnums.

For this reason I'm leaning towards things like a 16 or 20 ga. shotty, or a .410 shotty with the ability to shoot .45 Long Colt rounds (though with the popularity of The Judge pistol the long kept open secret that a .410 shotty will chamber and fire the .45 Long Colt is well and truly out of the bag, though you might still have a good chance of finding ammo for it after the start of "hard times".

Just my $0.02
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:52 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
moab wrote: ***But my real question is what are the most commonly found rounds in the US - pistol and long arm? 5.56? 9mm? Where would one find numbers for this type of question? ARe these numbers even tabulated by anyone?***

I'd like to know that it's not going to be hard to find more ammo should I run out in a total breakdown etc. I know I know. I have bigger problems if that happens. But still. I'd like to know I'm prepping with the firearms that are most likely to be fed after my own ammo runs out.
Having just stumbled across this thread my immediate first thought is that in a SHTF scenario, the most common ammo is what's going to run out first, and be the least easiest to find after the first 24 hours. If it's a caliber that "everyone" has, then everyone is going to be buying as much of it as possible when the ball drops. I think that maybe having (and being proficient with) a firearm or two in a less popular caliber might be a good strategy. Things like .44 special instead of magnum, or .38 special instead on .357 mag are okay, but most owners of those magnums know full well that they can chamber and fire the lesser rounds, and will grab those up in a heartbeat if they can't find the magnums.

For this reason I'm leaning towards things like a 16 or 20 ga. shotty, or a .410 shotty with the ability to shoot .45 Long Colt rounds (though with the popularity of The Judge pistol the long kept open secret that a .410 shotty will chamber and fire the .45 Long Colt is well and truly out of the bag, though you might still have a good chance of finding ammo for it after the start of "hard times".

Just my $0.02
My response here is to first ask one to articulate what they are preparing for. I"ll also post a response I had in another thread.

Thread: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0&t=119730

Quote:
The issue I have is with people who buy a gun because they want caliber diversity. In pre-panic times one does not need to buy a 40 cal pistol "because 40 was still pretty available back during the panics...." You are looking at spending $500 for a pistol and $200 to kick-start your stockpile. Instead, buy $700 of your favorite flavor (9x19 or 45 GAP, whatever). Add a few spare parts and you will be much better off than the guy who bought 6 different pistols so he could be sure to use "found ammo" or "whatever happens to be available for trade in the PAW town market."

Which brings up a whole other issue: what world are we preparing for?

Tornado hits town? Probably need 20 rounds and your Nagant revolver will do nicely.

Ammo panic and anti-gun legislation? Buy reloading supplies and political muscle.

A year long disaster? Probably need 1/4 of the ammo the posters to this thread have stashed away. Unless you are actually trying to feed a family by shooting squirrels or quail. Try trapping or shooting bigger game.

In a country facing war? Just pile It deep. Your FAK supplies and skills will need equal attention.

Now, the whole " I want more calibers" argument really only makes sense to me 10 years after "the big one" and the world has completely changed. In such a case I think buying a shotgun and some caliber adapters will get you farther than buying whole guns. Take the money you saved by not buying extra gun and plought it into stockpiling ammo you will actually need and use.

My $.02 on the subject.
There seems to be an expectation among some that "an event" will happen and then "we will all shoot each other" or "we will buy up all the ammo."

What event?

Legislation? Presidential decree? Civil war? Long-term natural disaster? Each has a different impact on ammo.

In a long-term natural disaster or civil war groups will assemble piles of ammo and distribute it to followers of the group. They will probably acquire those piles of ammo by force, calling it "requisitioning." Those who stockpiled common calibers will likely see those piles disappear, but will likely be supplied if they sign on with the current law-and-order. Frankly, in countries with civil wars happening I think all ammo is "requisitioned" until the law/local power feels it has enough. This I think is relatively easy as the world is still functioning and ammo can be bought on the world market. "Taxes" are used to acquire piles of ammo and munitions. So is theft, from what I have seen of ISIS.

Legislation and executive decrees will either shrink total ammo available, or target certain kinds of ammo. The only answer there is to stock ammo and reloading components as deep as possible.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:17 pm

woodsghost wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:

Just my $0.02
My response here is to first ask one to articulate what they are preparing for. I"ll also post a response I had in another thread.

Thread: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0&t=119730
And my response to yours is: whatever unspecified breakdown event OP had in mind that caused a run on ammo supplies in local stores.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:59 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
And my response to yours is: whatever unspecified breakdown event OP had in mind that caused a run on ammo supplies in local stores.
Ok. What I"m hearing is "get the oddball calibers nobody will want, and get multi-caliber capability so you can shoot oddballs and whatever is available."

That makes sense to me in situations like legislative/government restrictions on ammo.

Do you feel that shooting/stocking oddball calibers and multi-caliber capability is the way to go in a civil war or long-term natural disaster? Why do you think this is the best strategy? I guess I felt stocking common calibers would potentially allow one to work with groups maintaining law and order.

I don't know. Just thinking about it all.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”