It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:09 pm 

Never thought I'd be asking this, but with world events being what they are and the apparent likelihood of them coming here, having a rifle in the vehicle seems a good idea.

For such an event (not for bugging out, or going to war), how many magazines would it be a good idea to have?

Would one spare in a kydex belt pouch be enough?

What about a bandoleer like UW Gear makes -- would 3 reloads be good enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0zEsGKE7b4

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:13 pm 

For a get home bag you really don't need any. Based on national statistics for how often people fire a weapon in defense of their own life.

Most people determine the quantity based on a few factors including:
* How at risk the path home is. Often having to do with issues like population density.
* The distance home.

As you said, this isn't for the purpose of going to war, so your best bet is staying mobile and not getting in a firefight every time you get a flat tire. I bet 2 spare mags would be somewhere between plenty and 2 pounds of dead weight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:24 pm 

Like I said, I never thought I'd ask the question, but with recent events of ISIS running attacks in formerly quite docile areas in Europe, I figure it's only matter of time it happens here.

The point of the rifle wouldn't be to get in fights, but get out of a situation which I may not be able to drive out of, and a pistol may be of little practical use against guys shooting rifles. If I could get away without firing a shot, great. If I need to shoot, I may [i[REALLY[/i] need to shoot, and may burn through the magazine in the rifle quickly. I'd probably not [i[need[/i] another, but I'd feel better about having at least one full reload than carrying a now empty rifle.

I'd be pretty light anyway as I'd just have my EDC and car pack/GHB.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:52 pm 

I would think it is a unanswerable question. kind of like picking the right lotto number. Maybe you are right, maybe you will be wrong.
Zero11010 pointed to statistics, those are guides to past event.

This is some that time will teach you. Part of carrying something, is the carry. Day in and day out over a long period of time becomes a PIA. Probably situation awareness is your best guide. Currently what is the risk factor in your commute? The reassess that as time goes by.

In a full out firefight, a person never carries enough. The chances of that happening is exceeding rare unless you live in Syria.

The is a grey man thread that would be worth reading. More on tactics to get home.

A empty rifle is a club, yes a full mag is better. How many after that.. is a personal decision. Maybe one of the more tactical members can answer that. I live in a pretty safe place, a 5 round revolver seems like the best choice, right now, for me. I also do not commute.

The other thought, not everything left in a vehicle for safe keeping is safe. If car thefts are high where you are at, I would think about security for my firearm.

Last edited by Hollis on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:53 pm 

I would say you don't need any as I don't consider a rifle a necessary item for a GHB.

However if you are thinking you do need one (and you really are the only one who can make that decision) then minimum 1 extra mag and tops 3 extra mags. This is of course on top of a mag for the rifle itself.

For a GHB, you don't want to get too much excess weight and bulk. The UW bandoleer is a great choice if you are going for a 3 mag carry. I have been wanting one since I heard about them, but since I have been moving pretty regular and they have a long wait list, I haven't had the chance to order one. Soon as I settle down in one place long enough I will be though.

Something to consider if your going to opt for a rifle with your GHB is some of the discreet rifle carry bags.

Blackhawks racket carry

Liberator's discreet carry bag

Or there are many others out there.

The idea being is you can carry your rifle without anyone looking realizing your carrying a rifle. Keeping the rifle low profile and hidden unless actually needed could likely be a very good idea.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:08 pm 

I personally keep 10 mags in my car and extra mags for my EDC. Since weight is not really a concern in a vehicle I think more the merrier should be the mentality, I would much rather carry more mags then I need rather than not enough. Balance this of course with cost and vulnerability and find a number you are comfortable with.

If you decide to just keep 1 mag it's probably better to just leave your gun at home.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:08 pm 

ineffableone.

Thanks those are great looking and beats a violin case.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:18 pm 

Hollis wrote:
ineffableone.

Thanks those are great looking and beats a violin case.

The Liberator one has a great quick access, and is designed to be able to be put on the back of the passenger seat. Giving quick access to the rifle from the driver side.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:49 pm 

I think what everyone has said is pretty good advice.

I personally don't think the risk of needing a rifle is higher then the risk of getting said rifle stolen out of your car, but I'm sure that is regional as well. If I'm going on a long trip I'll sometimes throw a rifle in the car (because why not?) but things would have to be pretty awful for me to take it with me if I had to leave the car on foot. My nod to paranoia is to throw a 33rd glock mag in my GHB, seems like a happy medium to me.

from what little I know about the sort of threats you are referencing I don't think they are something that would really be a threat from your vehicle (or on your route home). If you are mostly concerned with breaking contact I just haven't seen many situations where bad stuff seems to spill out onto the highways, and if you are going to encounter it, it will be on foot with whatever is in your man purse or in your pockets.

If you feel safe and secure storing a rifle in your car 2-3 mags seems like a reasonable number. If you don't want to keep a chest rig in the car you can always look at keeping an extra on the gun as well (butt stock pouch?). something like a maxpedition shoulder bag would be a decent discreet way to carry a few mags and a FAK. If you are looking for an excuse to buy a chest rig, you don't need one but it might not be the best way to carry mags in this context.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:49 am 

Good points.

Perhaps extended pistol mags are the way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:52 am 

Two.

Is that a good answer?

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:30 am 

since I will have to travel through Gary In to get home from work, in times of heightened threats, I carry a Kel-Tec sub 2000 in the car with me, with 4 33 round mag. BUT I am going from a not good area, through a bad area with a history of 'issues'.OTOH I have only added that load out three times in the last 12 years.

I believe you mentioned that you travel a lot, so your situations will be different. all you can do it take a hard look at your options to get home, and go with your gut.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:52 pm 

With the exception of a case of the Mad Max or Zombie Fever, the odds of you needing a "trunk rifle" is real, real slim.

A concealed carry Handgun is the way to go. The ability to walk home with a rifle out in the open even in a nasty situation like Katrina or the Rodney King riots will most likely get you tossed in jail. Also having a bulky takedown or folded down rifle hidden in a bag still will not help, since if a threat approaches you, then you are going to need to open the bag, pull out the rifle, and possibly assemble it, at which point it will already be too late. Also not to mention the liability of keeping something like an AK or an AR stored in your trunk 24/7.

Having a concealed carry handgun, its with you not left in the car. Also you can walk amongst a crowd armed and unnoticed, especially in situation where the SHTF and things could get ugly if its discovered you are armed (Like 9/11, and Earthquake, etc)

I would say all you need is 4 extra loaded mag left in your car to add to what you already carry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:32 pm 

I'd say 3.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:02 pm 

Where you live, what you drive, what your EDC pistol is and how you dress day to day would be more of interest in my opinion. A rifle would be a poor substitute for a good spare tire or some water as an example. Guns are awesome, don't get me wrong. But, as stated earlier, it's very unlikely you will need it.

I'd personally rather have some good tools, weather appropriate clothes and maybe even a bicycle.

If you decide on a rifle, one in the gun and three spares is probably the magic number.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:02 pm 

You need twenty (20).

But seriously, I think everyone here has made the point already that what you need is a handgun and one or two magazines for that pistol at the most.

The fact of the matter is you won't see the kind of attack in the United States. Think about it, we have way more firearms in the United States than in Europe and they are much more readily available. We have a much better integrated population than the European countries do.

Aside from the Fort Hood incident, I have difficulty recalling any politically motivated shootings. Most mass shootings in the United States seem to be because of the mentally ill.

In terms of being prepared for a politically motivated active shooter scenario, I would refer you to the HBO special "Terror in the Mall " it is based on the Al Shabazz attack on the Westgate mall in Nairobi, Kenya. It is almost entirely of first person interviews and security camera footage. You will see that having a rifle in the trunk of your car would not have done a large amount of good it that kind of situation.

As others have mentioned, carrying a rifle would likely result in you being shot by either the bad guys or the police who don't know who the bad guys are but see someone walking around with a great big assault rifle. That's the person you shoot first.

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Last edited by Evan the Diplomat on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:36 am 

RonnyRonin wrote:

The advice has been largely horrible.

The only correct answer is ZERO.

Walking around with a rifle is going to get you arrested or shot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:55 am 

You will likely never need to use a get-home bag, and if you do, you will likely not need a rifle. Bad weather snarling traffic because Georgia can't handle 2 inches of snow on the interstate is something you should be planning your GHB around for instance. Not a imagined attack by ISIS(or even the generic active shooters we see in the States).

Get your CHP, and carry a good modern pistol. Open carrying a rifle in the middle of a active shooter event is going to get your ass shot.

I think a argument could be made for a rifle for a Bug-out bag, and certainly for a INCH bag...but not necessarily for a GHB.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:03 am 

Place me firmly in the "no rifle" camp.

In addition to the issues already pointed out, a rifle with one mag will be around 8 pounds. I'd much rather have a couple more pistol mags for the CCW (or speed strips if a revolver) if concerned about a threat and these will only add 1-2 pounds. Three loaded 15 round 9mm mags weigh about 2lbs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:22 pm 

where the heck do you live, that you would need a rifle and a reload just to get home?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:35 pm 

madoka wrote:
RonnyRonin wrote:

Doesn't that really depend on which side of the badge you're on?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:17 pm 

jor-el wrote:
madoka wrote:
RonnyRonin wrote:

Doesn't that really depend on which side of the badge you're on?

It should also be noted, many states it is not illegal to open carry a rifle so no walking around with a rifle is not necessarily going to get one arrested. Though I would say it is not the smartest thing to actually do as it does draw a lot of attention to you, which was why I suggested the discreet carry bags.

Madoka you might have also noticed the majority of posts actually have said they don't think a rifle is a good carry. I did and most of the others have too. But guess what, just saying it is not a good idea doesn't dissuade people. Funny thing is if someone has it in their head they want to do something others saying it is a bad idea just doesn't work. So I mentioned that I don't see it as a needed thing, then went on to be helpful to answer the question the OP asked. Rather than just say no don't do it.

Madoka you also seem to have missed the OP himself saying way before your post.

Xavier wrote:
Good points.

Perhaps extended pistol mags are the way to go.

So before you even went on your "The advice has been largely horrible." The OP had reconsidered the rifle in favor of pistol. Sounds to me like the advice was pretty good, as it helped the OP reconsider rifle and rifle mags in favor of extended pistol mags.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:29 pm 

Quote:
Aside from the Fort Hood incident, I have difficulty recalling any politically motivated shootings. Most mass shootings in the United States seem to be because of the mentally ill.

The first (Ft Hood Shooting) one was religiously motivated the second was a nutter. I can think of dozens of political attacks, probably more if I did some digging. The follow up attack in Boston was a shooting. Depends upon how far back you want to go. Can't think of many a where a rifle in the trunk of a car would have helped. With a few of the nutter attacks it might have helped if you were planning on staying a while and fighting it out, this seems a bad plan.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:06 pm 

Xavier wrote:
Never thought I'd be asking this, but with world events being what they are and the apparent likelihood of them coming here, having a rifle in the vehicle seems a good idea.

For such an event (not for bugging out, or going to war), how many magazines would it be a good idea to have?

Would one spare in a kydex belt pouch be enough?

What about a bandoleer like UW Gear makes -- would 3 reloads be good enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0zEsGKE7b4

Out of curiosity, what flavor of rifle? 5.56 NATO, 7.62 NATO or something else?
-Neptune

"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."