Help me with my .22 system

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Which .22 for survival hunting?

AGP takedown 10/22
59%
Browning Buckmark
24%
Glock .22 conversion kit
No votes
AR .22 conversion kit
18%

Total votes: 17

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Help me with my .22 system

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri May 16, 2014 5:09 pm

so right now I have a boring ol' Ruger 10/22:

I put a cheap Clarks bull barrel in it and carved out a butler creek stock to fit it. Because I was too cheap to buy a nice trigger it isn't exactly a tack driver (my brother's is significantly better with same barrel and a light trigger).

SOOO.....I don't really target shoot much and when I'm hunting non-game animals I usually grab my WASR so this guy has been sitting unused for some time. I am trying to be less sentimental about my guns and only keep ones that I use or intend to hand down to kiddies. I am looking into building more of a lightweight survival rifle that actually stands a chance of getting grabbed in an emergency, as this rifle is 6.5 lbs empty. Focus is on survival hunting in either a vehicle bug out or on foot. So here is what I am considering:

Easiest/most direct:
http://www.agparms.com/agp-arms-10-22-t ... y-options/
for $260 I can make my ruger into basically a tactical marlin papoose. 3.5 lbs before optics, and as compact as you can make a 16." If I built this it might be the wife's bug out gun as she only has a full-sized AR that would get left behind.

Lightest weight:
Sell the 10/22 and buy a browning buckmark. the lightweight frame with 5.5" barrel weighs 28oz (or 5oz more then my 10/22 receiver by itself). with the barrel options out there I could buy a 10" barrel for extra zing or possibly even find a 16" and have pistol/rifle flexibility. Red dot would be added as I suck with handguns, this could be carried anywhere and would offer the best opportunity hunting potential.

least redundant:
sell the 10/22 and buy a Glock conversion kit:
http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/mercha ... y_Code=GLK
I carry a glock every day so having a conversion to practice with and expand its potential makes sense, but this would actually cost more then the previous two options and I wouldn't have a separate weapon (meaning I would have to give up my defensive weapon in order to go hunting). I am guessing this would be the least accurate option, no optic would put me at a disadvantage.

similar option:
Sell 10/22 and buy an AR conversion kit:
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bo ... 40151.aspx
My future BO gun I am building will be an 11.5 AR pistol, so similar to the Glock I would have to convert the gun when i wanted to hunt, meaning opportunity hunting would be difficult. Also guessing accuarcy is suspect, but I would have a higher quality optic on the AR then any of the other options (aimpoint or ACOG), would be sighted in for 5.56 though.

So specifically has anyone had experience with the last two options? Are they a training only kind of thing or would you be comfortable hunting with them? Anyone heard about accuracy of the AGP lightweight barrel?
I am currently leaning toward the first option since it would require the least amount of work and I already have the gun and mags but I am trying to pick the most practical solution.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Help me with my .22 system

Post by Rednex » Fri May 16, 2014 8:55 pm

I have the advantagearms .22lr conversion for my Glock G17. Its accurate enough at 10 to 15 yards, my problem is it choked and 4 different ammo's i had at the time. I was lucky to get more then 1 shot off at a time before having to manually work the slide. Remington Golden bullet, Federal bulk pack,Peter's brand, and i think a different Remington round. IIRC it says use high velocity which i believe all 4 were so im not 100% confidant on it yet.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat May 17, 2014 12:19 am

Rednex wrote:I have the advantagearms .22lr conversion for my Glock G17. Its accurate enough at 10 to 15 yards, my problem is it choked and 4 different ammo's i had at the time. I was lucky to get more then 1 shot off at a time before having to manually work the slide. Remington Golden bullet, Federal bulk pack,Peter's brand, and i think a different Remington round. IIRC it says use high velocity which i believe all 4 were so im not 100% confidant on it yet.
I've heard it can be kind of picky, it sounds like you might have to find the one ammo that works and stick with it.
a strike against it to be sure, thanks for reminding me.

AK, Glock, Pie.

ronin9

Post by ronin9 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:36 am

The 10/22 offers much more range for hunting. The buckmark is a great pistol. Either one is better than a conversion kit.

Another option is to just swap your heavy barrel for a tacsol. It would knock a couple pounds off your 10/22 and save you some hassle.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue May 20, 2014 9:43 am

Is a suppressor a possibility down the road?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu May 22, 2014 9:21 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Is a suppressor a possibility down the road?
eh.
I'll probably form a trust with my brother and use his every now and then, but it doesn't really make or break anything. If I was sure I was getting a can I'd definitely go buckmark.

AK, Glock, Pie.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu May 22, 2014 9:25 pm

ronin9 wrote: Another option is to just swap your heavy barrel for a tacsol. It would knock a couple pounds off your 10/22 and save you some hassle.
option 1. the AGP barrel is much cheaper, just as light, and I heard a few stories to give me pause about an aluminum barrel. the whole take-down kit costs about the same as a tacsol barrel.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 pm

Ar conversion kit.

If you are going to dump the 10/22 may as well simplify and keep a rifle
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:16 pm

If you're looking to reduce weight and you want a .22LR why not dump that large scope and the bull barrel (or get yourself a lightweight bull barrel ... https://www.volquartsen.com/tags/5-barrels) and try a smaller scope or Tech sights and go back the the original barrel? You already have that one, it would be the easiest. Later on down the road get a Volquartsen trigger, they're pretty awesome.

If you're just tired of it and want something new (I get that too) out of the other choices I'd go with the Browning Buckmark. Only things I've ever shot with it are rabbits, squirrels and turtles and the range is reduced some from a rifle, but it's accurate.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri May 23, 2014 12:42 am

Browning 35 wrote:If you're looking to reduce weight and you want a .22LR why not dump that large scope and the bull barrel (or get yourself a lightweight bull barrel......
once again, read option 1. I didn't mention it but I'd more then likely put a PA microdot on it, or the smallest compact x4 I can find.

I've looked at a lot of 10/22 options and the AGP kit is the only one that makes sense to me. Most aftermarket barrels start at $200, are heavier, and don't have takedown capabilities. The AGP kit is the lightest and cheapest 10/22 system I could find without crazy custom work. I'm just assuming nearly anything is a step up from a Ruger factory barrel.

the options again:

1) 10/22 AGP kit
2)Browning buckmark
3) Glock .22 kit
4) AR .22 kit

all "do X Y or Z to your 10/22" suggestions are being tallied as a vote for option 1 unless someone has a convincing reason why the AGP is a poor choice.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Fri May 23, 2014 7:38 am

I would put the original stock and factory barrel back on it and buy a good smaller scope. If you have a REAL need for a rifle that can be stored in a smaller space maybe go with a folding stock, I don't think many people really do though.
I want back up iron sights on a gun like this, I might would even think about dropping the scope for a good aperture sight.
I think a better trigger is more important then neato cosmetic stuff too.
I don't want a lot of extra weight either but I think a factory 10/22 weighs in at 5 lbs is it really that important to shave a pound or two off that?

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Fri May 23, 2014 8:45 am

all "do X Y or Z to your 10/22" suggestions are being tallied as a vote for option 1 unless someone has a convincing reason why the AGP is a poor choice.
It's not necessarily that APG is a poor choice (they make great Saiga 12 mags), it's that there's not a whole lot of independent reviews of it except for a really short one on rimfire central. So for me that makes it an unknown. That's a lot of money to sink into something that's unproven one way or the other when the cost of a new 10/22 is about the same price as the barebones kit and the all inclusive kit is $624 (I picked the most expensive options and then put it in the cart and that's before shipping).

Volquartsen on the other hand is known.

If it's APG or nothing then cast my vote for the Buckmark. :Shrug

If on the other hand you decide to get the APG kit maybe you could wring it out thoroughly and post a metric ton of pics on the accuracy with various loads and ease of takedown/reassembly and maybe even some video in an independent review. I'm sure that everyone that's looking at those kits will thank you. There just isn't a whole lot of info on it from anyone other than APG themselves one way or the other and it's fairly expensive.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri May 23, 2014 11:42 am

Nick Adams wrote:I would put the original stock and factory barrel back on it and buy a good smaller scope. If you have a REAL need for a rifle that can be stored in a smaller space maybe go with a folding stock, I don't think many people really do though.
I want back up iron sights on a gun like this, I might would even think about dropping the scope for a good aperture sight.
I think a better trigger is more important then neato cosmetic stuff too.
I don't want a lot of extra weight either but I think a factory 10/22 weighs in at 5 lbs is it really that important to shave a pound or two off that?
1.5lbs is somewhere between 4-8 meals depending on what you pack. A 5lb gun WOULD get left behind, a 3.5lb gun MIGHT get left behind.

the problem I should mention is that both the butler creek folding stock and the choat folding stock (I have both, the choat is set up for the factory barrel) are designed for right handers and southpaws like me have our face about 1" too far to the left to look down the sights. the AGP stock is full width and centered so lefty friendly.

further research has also turned up several independent claims that AR .22 conversions (CMMG specifically) more or less hit point of aim with optics sighted for 5.56. the plot thickens. I'm going to try to shoot a red-dot equipped .22 pistol this weekend and see if I can take it out of the running at least.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri May 23, 2014 11:47 am

I'd vote Buckmark or other optic-equipped .22 handgun. IF you want to go custom and/or lightweight, order a TacSol upper and build your own. It's possible to build a MkIII or 22/45 that uses only two Ruger parts.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri May 23, 2014 3:10 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I'd vote Buckmark or other optic-equipped .22 handgun. IF you want to go custom and/or lightweight, order a TacSol upper and build your own. It's possible to build a MkIII or 22/45 that uses only two Ruger parts.
my buddy has a 22/45 lite and that is what I put my PA microdot on that I hope to shoot this weekend, I was all hot and bothered about it till I figure out about the barrel being integral to the receiver, which is why I was thinking buckmark. I figured I could get a 5" light barrel or a 10" target barrel and have more options. I have another friend with a buckmark that I haven't shot in awhile, but he doesn't have an optic rail for it so it's less informative.

limiting factor is my usual crappy aim with handguns, I'm hoping the red dot helps in that department.

ETA: I should mention that $300ish is really the most I would ever spend on this project, which is why a fully custom tacsol/volquartsen/whistlepig/greenmountain is off the table. with the buckmark and conversion kits I'm assuming I would get $200ish from the sale of the Ruger.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri May 23, 2014 3:53 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I'd vote Buckmark or other optic-equipped .22 handgun. IF you want to go custom and/or lightweight, order a TacSol upper and build your own. It's possible to build a MkIII or 22/45 that uses only two Ruger parts.
my buddy has a 22/45 lite and that is what I put my PA microdot on that I hope to shoot this weekend, I was all hot and bothered about it till I figure out about the barrel being integral to the receiver, which is why I was thinking buckmark. I figured I could get a 5" light barrel or a 10" target barrel and have more options. I have another friend with a Buckmark that I haven't shot in awhile, but he doesn't have an optic rail for it so it's less informative.

limiting factor is my usual crappy aim with handguns, I'm hoping the red dot helps in that department.
Honestly, unless you're shooting match you're not going to see a big difference between a 5" and 10" .22LR handgun barrel. The biggest change would be with extra-hot ammo, but even then it's maybe 100FPS. The bull barrel might help if you're only running stingers and other real hot stuff, but otherwise the standard barrel in a 4"-5" will be stiff enough that the bull barrel isn't necessary, so you're just increasing weight. If you're not sold on a red dot, a pistol scope could work just as well for you. I put one on my Deagle (barrel is cut for weaver mounts and I don't have any RDS that fits without a riser) and it's scary accurate. The Buckmark and the Rugers similarly have fixed barrels with a rear reciprocating slide, so mounting a scope would work as well.

The best part about the RDS on a low-recoil pistol like that is actually hitting the target in any goofy shooting position you can imagine. I do most of my handgun shooting with the cheap still spinner targets between 15m and 33m.

Jason Bourne off-hand with the pistol upside-down, pinkie on the trigger vs the 4" plate? Easy.
John Woo upside-down pistol (aka "john Woo 180")? Piece of cake at 30m.
John McClane lateral shoulder roll shooting? Child's play.
Dual-wielding suppressed RDS-equipped 22/45s? Took some practice, but the hardest part was lining up both red dots at once.

It's just Too. Damn. Easy. Takes the fun out of everything, sort of. My only regret is that the MkIII doesn't come in a Lite, so I may have to build a TacSol. I'll miss using 1911 grip panels, bit I won;t miss the crappy mag flooplates and crummy plastic grip frames. The Buckmark I have is similarly fun, but it's an old (1990s) Silhouette model with the gold trigger, so I don't take it out of the safe too often. Also a bit bulky with a 10" barrel.

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:00 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:so right now I have a boring ol' Ruger 10/22:

I put a cheap Clarks bull barrel in it and carved out a butler creek stock to fit it. Because I was too cheap to buy a nice trigger it isn't exactly a tack driver (my brother's is significantly better with same barrel and a light trigger).

SOOO.....I don't really target shoot much and when I'm hunting non-game animals I usually grab my WASR so this guy has been sitting unused for some time. I am trying to be less sentimental about my guns and only keep ones that I use or intend to hand down to kiddies. I am looking into building more of a lightweight survival rifle that actually stands a chance of getting grabbed in an emergency, as this rifle is 6.5 lbs empty. Focus is on survival hunting in either a vehicle bug out or on foot.
So the focus is on survival hunting in either a vehicle bug out or on foot.

This is how I am going to address that issue.In my aop I am going to have to combine security with gathering of food(hunting and gathering)I would carry my ,223 for security and either a mrk2 target barrel in a shoulder holster or a Winchester model 63.The model63 is a compact break down rifle.
If I am expecting contact I would stow the rifle in my pack,but if cold, I would carry the mark2.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat May 24, 2014 2:23 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Honestly, unless you're shooting match you're not going to see a big difference between a 5" and 10" .22LR handgun barrel. The biggest change would be with extra-hot ammo, but even then it's maybe 100FPS.
guess you're right, I rechecked the chart and the biggest change was 200ish FPS but most loads it is closer to 100, thought it was more then that. simplifies that.

AK, Glock, Pie.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun May 25, 2014 7:24 pm

tried the 22/45 with reddot yesterday, it was stupid accurate off a rest. offhand was understandably worse, I'm trying to decide whether it was good enough to get a bunny or not. depending on the day my hands can be pretty shaky but I was pretty impressed by the whole thing (not overly impressed by the 22/44, had several failures and the trigger was pretty meh). still need to track down my friends buckmark and give it a spin.

AK, Glock, Pie.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue May 27, 2014 4:22 pm

soooo I got to use my buddies Buckmark yesterday. it was a bit rusty and pitted (they had found it in one of their grass seed fields, who knows how long it had been there) but I think it was about 37.4 THOUSAND times better then any ruger .22 handgun I've ever shot (in all fairness only 3 or 4).
The trigger was extraordinary, no magazine safety, better slide release, better mag release, and I was probably shooting tighter groups offhand then any handgun I've used (I'm sure it was the trigger more then anything). Also the way it ejected seemed to throw less hot brass into my off hand (I'm lefty so my right hand is always getting burnt or pinched somehow).

time to start shopping around...anyone care to suggest reasonable used prices on buckmarks?

AK, Glock, Pie.

Browning 35
BANNED
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:51 pm

I wouldn't buy one used, I'd just buy new. Check out the used gun ads on places like Armslist or Riverofguns and then compare it to someplace like Academy, the used Buckmarks on there are going for $50 to $100 more.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/brownin ... er&Ntk=All

Blued plain Jane Buckmarks are available at Academy or Bass Pro all day for $299 ($270 if you catch them on sale), SS models are about $50 more and those suppressor capable Browning Buckmark 'Whisper' Camper models are @ around $400 depending on who's selling them.

Why take the chance on inheriting someone else's mess and pay extra money for the privilege? I'd just buy a new one.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed May 28, 2014 12:39 am

so I am definitely putting a red dot on this, I'm assuming I'm better off just throwing the tacsol rail on a camper then hunting around for a hunter or other railed buckmark?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/Search/Pr ... ?pid=38847

AK, Glock, Pie.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed May 28, 2014 8:47 am

Haven't seen any factory railed Buckmarks. TacSol is the shit though.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed May 28, 2014 9:15 am

Easiest/most direct:
http://www.agparms.com/agp-arms-10-22-t ... y-options/
for $260 I can make my ruger into basically a tactical marlin papoose. 3.5 lbs before optics, and as compact as you can make a 16." If I built this it might be the wife's bug out gun as she only has a full-sized AR that would get left behind.
This bold part right here is the reason why you should go with the CMMG AR conversion kit option. Full sized AR, or your AR pistol it will work in either.

However that Brownells price is a flaming ripoff. They can be had easily for $200 anywhere else.

http://www.basspro.com/CMMG-ARC22-22LR- ... 405011128/

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”