It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun Vs. Gun
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:33 am 

So Im getting a new gun soon but Im not sure which one to choose. I've used tons of guns but never had one for my own. So what I want from the rifle is to bust through some zombie heads of course but when I go hunting for food I want it to be able to get through an elk if I run across one, my Father has 2 30-06's and don't really want another, so I was thinking a...
308 vs .270
If you have another caliber that would work for my situation feel free too speak up. I was also kind of thinking of a 300 win mag. Tell me what you think.
Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Gun Vs. Gun
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:57 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Well first off, welcome to ZS, make sure you swing by the introductions forum and tell everyone a little bit about yourself.

Regarding your question, either .308 or .270 will be more than enough gun for taking out zombies.

Either .308 or .270 will be capable of putting down elk. Both are very popular rounds, this means that you should be able to find either round in any store that sells ammo, as long as there isn't an ammo scare on. .270 has one of the most versatile selection of factory loads. .308 isn't far behind and is capable of loading 7.62x51, which means cheap, surplus ammo is an option.

I would recommend trying to put your hands on a specific rifle chambered in both calibers, to get a realistic comparison. most hunting rifles that are chambered in one will be available in the other.

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:52 am 

Quote:
If you have another caliber that would work for my situation feel free too speak up

Anything from a 243 to a 50 cal will do what you want
Get one that fits what you will do the MOST (Game, distance, etc)

Performance with the correct projectiles is very similar are reasonable distances

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:55 pm 

I like .308 a lot and there are a lot of rifles that load it, so if you get a bolt gun for it now you can get a M1A or the like in the future and have ammo compatibility!

.270 is a very flat shooting cartridge which some people find makes them a better shooter in indeterminate ranges or when estimating, so that is an advantage for it I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:43 pm 

.308 is (relatively) cheap, ubiquitous and in military use. If it does what you need it's a good choice.

Eschew the monumental. Shun the Epic. All the guys who can paint great big pictures can paint great small ones. Ernest Hemingway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:10 pm 

BullOnParade wrote:
Well first off, welcome to ZS, make sure you swing by the introductions forum and tell everyone a little bit about yourself.

Regarding your question, either .308 or .270 will be more than enough gun for taking out zombies.

Either .308 or .270 will be capable of putting down elk. Both are very popular rounds, this means that you should be able to find either round in any store that sells ammo, as long as there isn't an ammo scare on. .270 has one of the most versatile selection of factory loads. .308 isn't far behind and is capable of loading 7.62x51, which means cheap, surplus ammo is an option.

I would recommend trying to put your hands on a specific rifle chambered in both calibers, to get a realistic comparison. most hunting rifles that are chambered in one will be available in the other.

I think the fact that you can get cheap military rounds in 7.62X51 is a huge plus if you plan on stockpliling thousands of rounds for the end of the world. Sure the ammo isn't the latest and greatest and most accurate but I have never heard a Zombie complain about being shot by mil surplus ammo. Consider the .308/7.62X51 and stock the ammo deep. Use the cheap stuff for practice and your emergency supplies and buy some good ammo for hunting and long range work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:58 am 

This animal..this rare bird "cheap surplus ammo" particularly CHEAP SURPLUS 308 ammo..
we are talking Cryptozoolology and MYTH...
And I believe in Bigfoot!

THAT SHIP SAILED. About a decade ago.
I WISH it were still true- i did not buy enough of the 1000 round cases of Hirtenberger (boxer prime, brass case. non-corrosive, 147 gr FMJ) for $125.

Today you will see some SA 308( good ammo) in 840 round "cases" ( used to be 1260, 9 140 round battle packs, but most seem to open the cases and remove 3 battle packs before sale). And people will want 5-$700 for it. Per round that is well over abuck...for SURPLUS ammo that is berdan primed, and anywhere from 10-30 years old.

For that money you can, with some scrounged once fired brass, make a near premium hunting round for that money.

Surplus USED to be 10-15 CENTS a round, and was a screaming deal.
That time is over.

Go 308, and reload it. And if anyone knows of cheap 308, PLEASE pass the word.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:26 am 

maine1 wrote:
Go 308, and reload it. And if anyone knows of cheap 308, PLEASE pass the word.

I suspect he already got the gun he wanted.
But if he was planning on reloading, I would have recommended the .270. Hands down.
Because he said his father had a pair of .30-06's, and you could just take those empties and run them through the .270 sizing die and use them - without any further work. So he would have had a ready supply of brass to load.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:31 am 

In my humble opinion...

.270 for a hunting gun that you will take to the range once in awhile.

.308 for a range gun you will take hunting once in awhile.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:38 am 

Well it's all been said, but I'll still chime in from my point of view...

.308 good/common/popular round and from time to time you can get a deal on the ammo
.270 has nice stats and it very popular, just not as popular as the .308 (by a landslide) and i've never seen bulk purchases for this cartridge
.300 win mag, even less popular than the .270, but I've had friends use them in caribou hunting in Canada, meh, I'd pass personally

Any reason you don't want another 30-06 except for "we already have 2"? I'd seriously consider a 3rd 30-06. It's a solid cartridge here in the US, not sure about abroad. It also means you don't have to collect another cartridge and stockpile it.

As for ammo, if you want "a chance" at finding cheap ammo to purchase in bulk, you really need to stick to the most popular rifle rounds: .223 and .308.

That's my 2cents.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:42 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I hunt with a .308, it has killed elk just fine. But my dad and brother use a .270. and when I get old and rich, I will either get a .270 or a 270wsm.

I think the OP should get a .270 I thin it is the best gun in north America

Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

Last edited by Apathy on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:52 pm 
BANNED

I'd definitely agree that the ship has basically sailed for surplus x51, but several companies in Eastern Europe have stepped up and you can still buy .308 ammo for $0.45 to $0.68 cents a rd vs $0.70 to $0.95 cents a rd for .270 Win. So even though cheap Mil-surplus isn't around much anymore there are still some savings to be had by going with a .308 Win.

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/308-winchester

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/270-winchester

You could take an Elk with either one.

Personally I've always liked the .270 over .308 as a cartridge since it's very flat shooting, but I'm a bit of a whore for cheap ammo depending on what I'm shooting it out of. You could also always use Tula, Wolf, Prvi or the cheaper offerings from Federal as general blaster/fuck around-type ammo and then switch to premium ammo when hunting. I have a .30-06 that's what I do with that.

I imagine the OP already picked out whatever rifle he wanted, but that doesn't mean that there won't be others who have an identical question.

It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!