"It's not like the Taliban are coming to my door"

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2767
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: Indiana's Southern Coast

Re: "It's not like the Taliban are coming to my door"

Post by DannusMaximus » Fri May 24, 2013 8:43 am

Rev wrote:Home invasions may be on the rise, but I would wager that most of that is contained to drug related crime
That's the case here. There are some instances of breaking and entering in homes simply for the purpose of stealing electronics, etc., but most news stories go something like this...

"Police responded to an armed break-in at XXXXX this morning. The reporter stated that 3 armed men broke into his apartment and took $11,000 in cash..."

OR

"A man was assaulted and robbed in the XXX block of XXX this morning. The man was walking in the neighborhood at around 3 in the morning and was beaten and robbed of $3500..."

In other words, violent crime is almost exclusively a dirtbag on dirtbag situation. People getting shot or beaten up during drug deals, dealers getting robbed, etc. My current AO is actually a pretty nasty, violent place - - if you're a dirtbag or insist on dating a violent ex-felon. If you're NOT a dirtbag (and don't associate with dirtbags) your chance of being the victim of a violent crime is essentially nil. This doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared for such an event if you're NOT a dirtbag, but I'm much more worried about getting hurt falling down my steep assed basement steps while carrying a laundry basket then I am being the target of a hasty ambush or direct-action assault by Taliban types.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

User avatar
Jsimmonsgr
* * *
Posts: 371
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:17 am

Re: "It's not like the Taliban are coming to my door"

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Fri May 24, 2013 10:08 am

feedthedog wrote:
Aikibiker wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Seven years ago you could draw lines on a map, "Do not go here" and have it pretty simple.
That is largely due to a program called Section 8 that was designed to move poor people out of the inner city. The idea is that the government will pay a portion of rent for housing in a better area with less crime to allow poor folks to leave the inner city. Unfortunately the criminals that were causing the problems in the inner city in the first place are eligible for this program too and they take advantage of it. The other side is that originally section 8 was ment to cost no more for the government then housing projects for the poor meaning the government would at least break even. Over time however the percentages and limit that the government would cover for housing under Section 8 have risen to the point of paying 80% to 90% of the cost of renting a large house instead of a cheap apartment.

So all Section 8 has really accomplished spreading the misery and crime of the inner city to the rest of the country and vastly increasing the cost to the public of housing for the disadvantaged.
Politics?

Also a bit incorrect. Please refer back to the growing number of suburban poor. This isn't just a case of minorities getting kicked out of the city and screwing up the suburbs. Further, rising gas prices, increasingly long commutes, economic opportunity, rapidly improving schools, and other factors are sucking the wealthy back into the city. Also, people don't have to live somewhere to commit crimes there.

I don't see where he was blaming minorities... I can say, from personal experiance that section 8 housing is scary as hell and that for every 'good' family there are like 4-6 'bad' familys. Had to go though section 8 when I lost my job in '08 and then lost my house. It sucks. It takes appx 1/2 of your income, which doesn't leave much to feed a family, but if you refuse to work ( like most of the scumbags) then it just requires 8 HOURS of community service per WEEK! Yeah, that means that while jonny lawbreaker is selling dope out of his unit and putting huge shiny rims on his brand new caddy ( the unit that he lives in for free because his girlfriend is a crossing guard at the local school) the people trying to get OUT of the section 8 housing can't afford shit. For the record, there was quite the mix in those units almost an equal spread as it were.
J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult
Rule#2 Dont be stingy with ammo, double tap!
Image

User avatar
Manimal2878
* * *
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:00 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,
Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Re:

Post by Manimal2878 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:28 pm

Ten Eight wrote:
I know I'm just some dood on the webz, versus "statistics" but crime isn't really "down" it's just going more and more unreported, for reasons I won't get into. The types of crime are changing. Mostly more violent crime, as criminals are aware now of what they can get away with, due to less police prescense and a marked increase in the intimidation and snitch culture.

Crime is not going down, it's just going underground. It's more violent, AND IT'S UNDER FRIGGITY FRIGGIN REPORTED.

What evidence do you have for the above? You say the statistics are wrong, how do you know this?

User avatar
Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 9345
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later
Location: Adirondacks, NY
Contact:

Re: Re:

Post by Jamie » Tue May 28, 2013 1:36 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:
Ten Eight wrote:
I know I'm just some dood on the webz, versus "statistics" but crime isn't really "down" it's just going more and more unreported, for reasons I won't get into. The types of crime are changing. Mostly more violent crime, as criminals are aware now of what they can get away with, due to less police prescense and a marked increase in the intimidation and snitch culture.

Crime is not going down, it's just going underground. It's more violent, AND IT'S UNDER FRIGGITY FRIGGIN REPORTED.

What evidence do you have for the above? You say the statistics are wrong, how do you know this?
Statistics indicate that statistics are wrong!

Image

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

Image
My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

User avatar
Jsimmonsgr
* * *
Posts: 371
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:17 am

Re: Re:

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Tue May 28, 2013 1:55 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:
Ten Eight wrote:
I know I'm just some dood on the webz, versus "statistics" but crime isn't really "down" it's just going more and more unreported, for reasons I won't get into. The types of crime are changing. Mostly more violent crime, as criminals are aware now of what they can get away with, due to less police prescense and a marked increase in the intimidation and snitch culture.

Crime is not going down, it's just going underground. It's more violent, AND IT'S UNDER FRIGGITY FRIGGIN REPORTED.

What evidence do you have for the above? You say the statistics are wrong, how do you know this?

Even without stats to back this up, I would tend to agree. In AZ we are seeing more crime, its just less gets reported or it never makes the news when it does. Hell, the local sherrif got in hot water for monkeying around with crime states to 'prove' how safe it is here. When a municipality counts on tourisim or out of state visitors for a good chunk of yearly revinue it doesn't take a genius to figure out that makeing it seem ' safer ' is likely to bring more tourists with more cash. Hell my old boss used to refer to it as the ' Jaws ' syndrome. ( remember in the movie Jaws? ' thats a big shark ' ' dont scare the tourists ')
J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult
Rule#2 Dont be stingy with ammo, double tap!
Image

User avatar
Manimal2878
* * *
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:00 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,
Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Re: Re:

Post by Manimal2878 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Jsimmonsgr wrote:

Even without stats to back this up, I would tend to agree. In AZ we are seeing more crime, its just less gets reported or it never makes the news when it does. Hell, the local sherrif got in hot water for monkeying around with crime states to 'prove' how safe it is here. When a municipality counts on tourisim or out of state visitors for a good chunk of yearly revinue it doesn't take a genius to figure out that makeing it seem ' safer ' is likely to bring more tourists with more cash. Hell my old boss used to refer to it as the ' Jaws ' syndrome. ( remember in the movie Jaws? ' thats a big shark ' ' dont scare the tourists ')

I guess what I'm getting at is that there is a difference between anecdotes and evidence. Usually when entities make a claim that crime is under reported, such as with rape, that is because they have compared independent surveys of the population with the official reporting that police have done. Therefore there is evidence that suggests rape is under reported. In the case you mention above population surveys independent of the police would have shown evidence of under reporting.

Is there similar evidence to support the claim that overall crime is actually increasing despite the statistical evidence, or is it just opinion formed on personal anecdote?

User avatar
phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 11424
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:18 pm
Location: central tx

Re: Re:

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue May 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:I guess what I'm getting at is that there is a difference between anecdotes and evidence. Usually when entities make a claim that crime is under reported, such as with rape, that is because they have compared independent surveys of the population with the official reporting that police have done. Therefore there is evidence that suggests rape is under reported. In the case you mention above population surveys independent of the police would have shown evidence of under reporting.

Is there similar evidence to support the claim that overall crime is actually increasing despite the statistical evidence, or is it just opinion formed on personal anecdote?
Your point is valid, but it is difficult (read expensive) to get that information. In the case of rape, there are a number of advocacy groups that can come up with funding. In this case, the anecdotal evidence is many crimes aren't reported due to (a) police never solving them and (b) being criminal on criminal where no one wants to to talk to the police in any event. Surveying those groups is very difficult to get empirical data.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8023
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Re:

Post by TacAir » Tue May 28, 2013 2:39 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:
Jsimmonsgr wrote:

Even without stats to back this up, I would tend to agree. In AZ we are seeing more crime, its just less gets reported or it never makes the news when it does. Hell, the local sherrif got in hot water for monkeying around with crime states to 'prove' how safe it is here. When a municipality counts on tourisim or out of state visitors for a good chunk of yearly revinue it doesn't take a genius to figure out that makeing it seem ' safer ' is likely to bring more tourists with more cash. Hell my old boss used to refer to it as the ' Jaws ' syndrome. ( remember in the movie Jaws? ' thats a big shark ' ' dont scare the tourists ')

I guess what I'm getting at is that there is a difference between anecdotes and evidence. Usually when entities make a claim that crime is under reported, such as with rape, that is because they have compared independent surveys of the population with the official reporting that police have done. Therefore there is evidence that suggests rape is under reported. In the case you mention above population surveys independent of the police would have shown evidence of under reporting.

Is there similar evidence to support the claim that overall crime is actually increasing despite the statistical evidence, or is it just opinion formed on personal anecdote?
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/21/us/re ... rimes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Feb20.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would a court case, audit reports and newspaper articles from National media outlets be 'enough proof' that the stats are suspect, at best?

And this from just one big city.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 5988
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Not Here.

Re: "It's not like the Taliban are coming to my door"

Post by the_alias » Tue May 28, 2013 3:01 pm

Lies, damn lies, and statistics
Man is a beast of prey

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13567
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: "It's not like the Taliban are coming to my door"

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 28, 2013 3:19 pm

Wasn't Atlanta the same city that had system wide cheating in the school system to cheat the feds out of aid money?

I think the mayor from that time period was led out im handcuffs too.
Last edited by Stercutus on Tue May 28, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 6172
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:31 pm
Location: St Louis

Re: "It's not like the Taliban are coming to my door"

Post by PistolPete » Tue May 28, 2013 3:21 pm

I don't think underreporting crime is a new thing. 8 years ago there was a big to-do in St Louis city about that. In that case certain assaults, including sexual assaults, were recorded as incidents (like a car accident) rather than crimes. The local paper caught wind of it, made a stink and the police department changed it's ways.

Of course, it's been a few years, so they are probably doing it again. And I've read a number of articles that say college campuses have been underreporting crimes since the 50's. In order for the argument "crime is reported less now than x years ago", you'd need to also have evidence supporting that underreporting crime is a new thing. I don't think it is. I'd suggest that local news outlets may be reporting more on it in your area at the moment, but that's probably a cyclical thing for them, something they rotate in every 5-10 years or so.

From my perspective, we have more people with cameras everywhere, so we have more hard evidence of everything happening, including crimes.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain
Image

User avatar
phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 11424
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:18 pm
Location: central tx

Re: "It's not like the Taliban are coming to my door"

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue May 28, 2013 3:29 pm

Blacksmith wrote:Wasn't Atlanta the same city that had system wide cheating in the school system to cheat the feds out of aid money?
yes though I think it was state money. We've had several like that in Texas. School admins get bonuses based on pass rates...
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13567
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: "It's not like the Taliban are coming to my door"

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 28, 2013 3:31 pm

Dishonest government is dishonest.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8023
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: "It's not like the Taliban are coming to my door"

Post by TacAir » Tue May 28, 2013 3:42 pm

Many people get the idea/impression that "crime isn't that bad (here)" - fill in the city.

In many cases it is because they are utterly unaware of the problem.

When living in Las Vegas, I would tell friends about how the gangs were going at...and got looks of disbelief.

Rather than argue, I ended up buying an inexpensive scanner and loaned it out for a week. Much of what they heard came as a shock - almost none of it was on TV or in the papers - esp n a tourist city.

Now many departments are encrypting their comms so even this venue is going away.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
Dabster
* * *
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 am

Re: "It's not like the Taliban are coming to my door"

Post by Dabster » Tue May 28, 2013 3:53 pm

A local group has started posting police radio chatter on Facebook. I have been a scanner person for a couple years and was used to it but most of their 'likes, are shocked and were completely unaware of the daily beating, shootings and random attacks that happen in our fair city.

Things are not getting dramatically worse, we just have better and potentially less biased information now.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

User avatar
Manimal2878
* * *
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:00 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead Remake, Shaun of the Dead,
Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Re: Re:

Post by Manimal2878 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:29 pm

TacAir wrote:
Would a court case, audit reports and newspaper articles from National media outlets be 'enough proof' that the stats are suspect, at best?

And this from just one big city.
Proof that the stats in Atlanta are suspect, yes. But the claim was that, "overall crime is increasing." So that falls into the anecdote category not the evidence category for the claim at issue.

Even if there was evidence of nationwide under reporting, I would then want to know if it is enough to account for the decreased crime rate, so that the rate would have remained steady or gone upward otherwise. I suspect that the under reporting is not great enough to account for the total drop in reported crime.

Whatever evidence there is, however flawed it may be, if the facts of it show that crime is decreasing, not increasing, without evidence to show the opposite, one making the claim that crime is increasing is merely talking out their ass.

User avatar
MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2251
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:28 am

Re: Re:

Post by MaconCJ7 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:57 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:
TacAir wrote:
Would a court case, audit reports and newspaper articles from National media outlets be 'enough proof' that the stats are suspect, at best?

And this from just one big city.
Proof that the stats in Atlanta are suspect, yes. But the claim was that, "overall crime is increasing." So that falls into the anecdote category not the evidence category for the claim at issue.

Even if there was evidence of nationwide under reporting, I would then want to know if it is enough to account for the decreased crime rate, so that the rate would have remained steady or gone upward otherwise. I suspect that the under reporting is not great enough to account for the total drop in reported crime.

Whatever evidence there is, however flawed it may be, if the facts of it show that crime is decreasing, not increasing, without evidence to show the opposite, one making the claim that crime is increasing is merely talking out their ass.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/vnrp0610.txt
During the period from 2006 to 2010, 52% of all violent victimizations,
or an annual average of 3,382,200 violent victimizations, were not
reported to the police.
From 1994 to 2010, the percentage of serious violent crime—rape or
sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated assault—that was not reported to
police declined from 50% to 42%.
Percentage of unreported violent crime victimizations not reported
because the victim believed the police would not or could not help
doubled from 1994 to 2010
This one has me scratching my head. Is violent crime so all-encompassing as to include playground tiffs? Or are schools not reporting actual violent crime? I would think the latter to be illegal, but I'm not all knowing.
About 76% of violent crime victimizations that occurred at school were
not reported to police.

From 2006 to 2010, victimizations against youth ages 12 to 17 were more
likely to go unreported than victimizations against persons in other age
categories.
Image

User avatar
phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 11424
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:18 pm
Location: central tx

Re: Re:

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed May 29, 2013 1:00 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote: This one has me scratching my head. Is violent crime so all-encompassing as to include playground tiffs? Or are schools not reporting actual violent crime? I would think the latter to be illegal, but I'm not all knowing.
About 76% of violent crime victimizations that occurred at school were
not reported to police.

From 2006 to 2010, victimizations against youth ages 12 to 17 were more
likely to go unreported than victimizations against persons in other age
categories.
Getting punched in the face is assault, though until the last couple of decades school fights were not treated as such. They are in most locations now, and both parties in a fight are often arrested at junior and senior high schools.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

User avatar
MacAttack
* * * * *
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am

Re: "It's not like the Taliban are coming to my door"

Post by MacAttack » Wed May 29, 2013 1:41 pm

Does anyone get what we call around here, The Local Crime Blotter?
Published in the local weekly or even the local daily.
Its a listing by time and ay of all the police calls and the officers actions on them, we even include the fire and ambulance calls. No personal names but addresses.

I could watch the crime increase in my area.

I started watching after HUD came in and forced out suburban apartments to take section 8 housing vouchers. As soon as that happened crime jumped, almost tripled inside 2 years. Even as our population was going down.
Then came an economic down turn and the rate of theft went up again. And it never went down.

Add to that the urban crime increase in the larger city right next to us and things never looked good.
Increases in crack and meth use brought about a similar increase in gang murders and all other general crime.

The only crimes that went down were vehicular related. Less population with cars and less DUI rates per capita.


The new thing is the https://www.facebook.com/HardTimesPress" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Hard times 330' A bi weekly publication of all the local mugshots from the 330 area code with a few national arrests thrown in.

We pick one up for work just to see if anyone we know is in this week. Found a few.

The only time crime went down was when CCW was legalized, but after that sharp downturn the steady rise in back again.

User avatar
Chris@MTCT
* * * * *
Posts: 3847
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:34 pm
Location: Spring,TX

Re: "It's not like the Taliban are coming to my door"

Post by Chris@MTCT » Wed May 29, 2013 3:52 pm

No real input at all just tagging it so I can keep up with the thread.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

feedthedog
* * * *
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Re:

Post by feedthedog » Wed May 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Manimal2878 wrote:
TacAir wrote:
Would a court case, audit reports and newspaper articles from National media outlets be 'enough proof' that the stats are suspect, at best?

And this from just one big city.
Proof that the stats in Atlanta are suspect, yes. But the claim was that, "overall crime is increasing." So that falls into the anecdote category not the evidence category for the claim at issue.

Even if there was evidence of nationwide under reporting, I would then want to know if it is enough to account for the decreased crime rate, so that the rate would have remained steady or gone upward otherwise. I suspect that the under reporting is not great enough to account for the total drop in reported crime.

Whatever evidence there is, however flawed it may be, if the facts of it show that crime is decreasing, not increasing, without evidence to show the opposite, one making the claim that crime is increasing is merely talking out their ass.
Lots of things are suspect here in Atl, but homicides are way down (2nd lowest in 50 years or something). That's probably the hardest stat to screw around with, and while it may not represent crime overall, it's better than nothing. Simultaneously, crime is increasing in formerly safe suburbs. Stone Mountain and Clayton County are not doing super hot these days. Not trying to establish any cause and effect relationship, just saying that the suburbs are not always safer than the city.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13567
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: Re:

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 29, 2013 7:29 pm

The murder rate in Atlanta is four times the US average and 25% higher than Mexico. Atl is safer than 1% of the cities in the US.
feedthedog wrote:
Manimal2878 wrote:
TacAir wrote:
Would a court case, audit reports and newspaper articles from National media outlets be 'enough proof' that the stats are suspect, at best?

And this from just one big city.
Proof that the stats in Atlanta are suspect, yes. But the claim was that, "overall crime is increasing." So that falls into the anecdote category not the evidence category for the claim at issue.

Even if there was evidence of nationwide under reporting, I would then want to know if it is enough to account for the decreased crime rate, so that the rate would have remained steady or gone upward otherwise. I suspect that the under reporting is not great enough to account for the total drop in reported crime.

Whatever evidence there is, however flawed it may be, if the facts of it show that crime is decreasing, not increasing, without evidence to show the opposite, one making the claim that crime is increasing is merely talking out their ass.
Lots of things are suspect here in Atl, but homicides are way down (2nd lowest in 50 years or something). That's probably the hardest stat to screw around with, and while it may not represent crime overall, it's better than nothing. Simultaneously, crime is increasing in formerly safe suburbs. Stone Mountain and Clayton County are not doing super hot these days. Not trying to establish any cause and effect relationship, just saying that the suburbs are not always safer than the city.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

feedthedog
* * * *
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Re:

Post by feedthedog » Wed May 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Blacksmith wrote:The murder rate in Atlanta is four times the US average and 25% higher than Mexico. Atl is safer than 1% of the cities in the US.
Perhaps, depending on what numbers you are using and how you define the geographical area. The metro area has 5+million residents and not everyone that gets killed in the city is a resident of the city. The city serves as a major distribution point for narcotics, human trafficking, etc. As a result, bad guys kill each other here a lot. That is not to say that we are free of violent crime. A dude got shot in the face fairly close to where I live last week.

Still, this isn't Juarez or Sadr City. Shit is getting better in a relative way. Thugs will break into your car, but that doesn't mean that we are one step away from "The Purge".


http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/ ... ars/nTsMM/
By Marcus K. Garner
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
On Christmas Eve, 18-year-old Joshua Watson was found dead near the intersection of Lakewood Avenue and Metropolitan Parkway in southwest Atlanta.
He’d been shot in the head and apparently robbed returning home on the bus from work, police said.
Despite Watson’s killing, and another two days later that culminated the year, Atlanta recorded the second fewest homicides in 50 years, police said.
That benchmark was a 3 percent improvement over 2011 that, despite a slight uptick in property thefts, gave the city an overall 5 percent dip in total crime, police officials said.
According to annual data released by the Atlanta police showing actual numbers of homicides over the years, 85 killings were recorded last year, compared to 88 in 2011.
Only 2009, with a recorded 80 homicides, was lower than any year dating back to 1963, police records show.
Other violent crimes dropped last year as well, police report.
Rape was down 24 percent, aggravated assault dropped 2 percent and robbery saw a 1 percent decrease, according to police records. These numbers jibe with national trends that show, based on FBI data, a gradual decline in violent crime rates.
The data showed that improvement is needed, however, in tamping down property crimes.
While citywide numbers show a 19 percent drop in burglaries, a 2 percent drop in auto thefts and a decrease of 5 percent in other larcenies, thefts from cars has risen 2 percent.
“We constantly remind motorists to leave nothing of value in vehicles that may tempt thieves,” police spokesman Carlos Campos said. “We have launched a ‘Clean Car’ campaign that reminds people to leave a clean car devoid of valuables such as laptops, GPS units, purses, loose change, firearms and other often-targeted items.”
Even with the improving numbers, there exist perceptions that crime in Atlanta remains high.
Forbes Magazine, for example, last year rated Atlanta the sixth most dangerous city of 200,000 or more to live in, using the FBI’s 2011 annual Uniform Crime Reports, which produces crime rates based upon a per capita equation released in September. Detroit topped the list, followed by St. Louis.
“The introduction to the list notes that such comparisons of crime reports are discouraged, for a number of reasons. So, we choose to simply focus on our mission,” Campos said. “Our job is to reduce crime, and we’ve done that in double-digit percentages since Mayor (Kasim) Reed and Chief (George) Turner took office.”
According to the FBI rating, Atlanta recorded 1,433 violent crimes per every 100,000 residents in 2011.
Campos said the FBI audits the department’s crime statistics each year to produce its own report each fall and “should be considered official” numbers.
Nonetheless, APD officials are happy with what they are seeing.
“I think the city has taken a stance of being aggressive on crime,” police homicide unit commander Lt. Paul Guerrucci told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
APD officials say the improved numbers are the result of a new approach to crime prevention.
“It’s a whole approach that we in the police department have taken,” Deputy Chief Renee’ Propes said Wednesday, speaking primarily about the gradual reduction in homicides, but addressing the broader issue of crime prevention and the recent downturn. “We’re trying to work smarter rather than harder.”
Use of felony murder laws – that is, Georgia’s “party to a crime” statute allowing for charging suspects who’ve committed a felony that may not have necessarily have been murder, but directly or indirectly resulted in someone’s death – has helped to make a difference, Guerrucci said.
“Based on the law, more people can be held responsible for their role” in a homicide, he said, acknowledging the part local prosecutors often play in helping to push such charges.
So a getaway driver in a robbery that ends in murder, like the wheelman who remains at large for the Nov. 12 murder of Lee Lowery III, can expect local prosecutors to add felony murder to the charge of armed robbery.
Also, Denorris Turner and Shaheed Huff, arrested in connection with the Oct. 5 shooting death of 23-year-old Graham Stephen Sisk, face possible life in prison if convicted for their alleged parts in the incident — each was also charged with the underlying felony of aggravated assault.
“And it takes people off the street who may commit homicides in the future,” Guerrucci said.
Another initiative Propes pointed to that has helped curb murder has been the violent repeat offender program, a collaboration with a number of local and federal agencies targeting career criminals.
“We’re targeting individuals that have been our biggest problems and hopefully getting them out of the community before they can commit those murders,” she said. “Getting the prosecutors to help us with keeping these guys in jail.”
Guerrucci said the death of Watson, who was killed on Christmas Eve, presents an example of the types of crime police are working to prevent.
“Certainly, nothing we saw about the victim would’ve contributed to this,” he said. “He was doing everything right, and this happens.”
Homicide detectives are still investigating Watson’s killing and ask that anyone with information about the incident call Crime Stoppers Atlanta at 404-577-8477 to provide an anonymous tip and possibly qualify for a reward.
That death was a low point in Zone 3, the southernmost of the department’s six policing zones, which officials say enjoyed a 30 percent drop in violent crimes last year.
This came despite beat changes that, while removing the Grant Park neighborhood, added the Thomasville area along its eastern border where police say gang activity is prevalent.
Zone 3 also includes the Pittsburgh community, where early last year, video footage showing alleged gang members attacking and beating a gay man amid homophobic slurs went viral on the Internet, highlighting the violence in that neighborhood.
LaShawn Hoffman, with the Pittsburgh Community Improvement Association, said the incident helped to galvanize that neighborhood and bring residents and businesses together with police and other organizations outside to turn the community around.
“Our work with the police has helped us reduce crime,” Hoffman said. “Our proactiveness in working with Atlanta Police Department and building that relationship helps us.”
The push by Mayor Reed since being elected in 2009 to employ 2,000 officers has allowed the department to assign more than 50 officers to the Community Oriented Policing Section, sending more officers on the street working on proactive initiatives.
“Community-oriented policing is about getting into these neighborhoods and developing these relationships,” said Propes, who now oversees police field operations and police patrolling. “You can do more when you’ve got more people. Instead of being so 911-driven, it gives (officers) time to get back to interacting with the citizens.”
ETA: To give some evidence to the relative change in crime. I grew up here in the 80s-90s. In 1993 they filmed Robocop 3 here because Detroit wasn't shitty enough.

User avatar
EmbraceTheHate
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:08 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: Central, Tx

Re: "It's not like the Taliban are coming to my door"

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Thu May 30, 2013 4:33 am

USA great place to live! Gotta love it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”