Pistols as primary

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost

Re: Pistols as primary

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:32 pm

raptor wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:41 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:02 pm
raptor wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:20 pm
I have also dealt with feral hogs with a .357 revolver. That said in my area most encounters tend to be less than 50 yards. There were no complaints after the encounters.

There is an old saying ...When you need a pistol a carbine is too long. When you need a rifle a carbine is too short. When you do not know if you will need a pistol or a rifle; you need a carbine.

That is why I now use a Rossi 92 (16 inch BBL) in .357 for my woods/marsh firearm.
What ammo have you found to work well? Brand? Grains? :D

Thanks!
The feral hogs in my area tend to be smaller due to active hunting of them. They are typically young at 100 to maybe 250 lbs. I initially used Speer 158 gr gold dot which worked well as long as I did my job. They over penetrated on the smaller ones but were ok but not stellar on the bigger ones. I still use these in the 4 inch barreled revolver I carry for this purpose. I want the penetration from this round if i have to use the revolver.

I switched to the Rossi and I tried the Hornady LeverRevolution 140 grain but I was not pleased with the accuracy of the round in this rifle. (My problem not the rifle, YMMV) The projectile also seemed to not hold up as well (opinion not fact here) inside the target.

I switched to Buffalo Bore 180 gr which works very well. It does not foul the barrel, the hard cast lead does expand and the heavy weight slug generally drops the critter DRT assuming I do my job. There are also fewer instance of over penetration when engaged broadside and angular engagements are far more reliable with the heavy slower slug than the other two.

Bear in mind all of my engagements are less than 100 yards and typically 25 to 50 yards. Some are at "how do you do" range.
Exellant information. Thank you.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Cthulhu 669

Post by Cthulhu 669 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:29 pm

raptor wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:41 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:02 pm
raptor wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:20 pm
I have also dealt with feral hogs with a .357 revolver. That said in my area most encounters tend to be less than 50 yards. There were no complaints after the encounters.

There is an old saying ...When you need a pistol a carbine is too long. When you need a rifle a carbine is too short. When you do not know if you will need a pistol or a rifle; you need a carbine.

That is why I now use a Rossi 92 (16 inch BBL) in .357 for my woods/marsh firearm.
What ammo have you found to work well? Brand? Grains? :D

Thanks!
The feral hogs in my area tend to be smaller due to active hunting of them. They are typically young at 100 to maybe 250 lbs. I initially used Speer 158 gr gold dot which worked well as long as I did my job. They over penetrated on the smaller ones but were ok but not stellar on the bigger ones. I still use these in the 4 inch barreled revolver I carry for this purpose. I want the penetration from this round if i have to use the revolver.

I switched to the Rossi and I tried the Hornady LeverRevolution 140 grain but I was not pleased with the accuracy of the round in this rifle. (My problem not the rifle, YMMV) The projectile also seemed to not hold up as well (opinion not fact here) inside the target.

I switched to Buffalo Bore 180 gr which works very well. It does not foul the barrel, the hard cast lead does expand and the heavy weight slug generally drops the critter DRT assuming I do my job. There are also fewer instance of over penetration when engaged broadside and angular engagements are far more reliable with the heavy slower slug than the other two.

Bear in mind all of my engagements are less than 100 yards and typically 25 to 50 yards. Some are at "how do you do" range.
If you are carrying a carbine as your primary woods gun, might I suggest a 30-30 Winchester? Mine is an older one that I inherited from my Grandaddy, and it has served me well during the years. It's 170 grain (you can also get 140 and 150 grain FTX if you like the Leverevolution ammo, plus several more weights in various brands and types, like the Hornady A Max, several types/brands of JHP, JSP, Ballistic Tip, hard cast, FMJ, and so on. I've also made some pretty darn good high performance hand loads) is a powerful, heavy hitting round good for everything from marauders to game such as white tail bucks, boar, etc...... (I've taken both animals, plus more, in the 30 some years I've been using that gun, here and there for hunting and target shooting and it hasn't even hiccuped). It's a light, fast and easy handling little carbine that is pretty easily carried all day, especially if you pack your B.O.B./WROL bag smartly, and can serve double duty as hunter and defensive roles. It will put most anything short of a Grizzly Bear on the ground. That carbine (and plenty of ammo for it) doesn't weigh that much. In fact, the light weight and easy handling of the 30-30 Winchester (you can get high quality 30-30 carbines for cheaper than a Winchester brand) allows you to carry plenty of ammo for the carbine and your pistol. The ammo is easily available pretty much wherever they sell ammo in America. Were I to bug out with this combo, I'd probably carry my Glock 21 (because of the Glock's near indestructibility, the G21s high capacity in a powerful caliber [standard 13 + 1 capacity, and they make 30 round mags for it. I would carry several 13 rounders and a couple 30 rounders on my pistol belt and more ammo for both guns in my backpack], plus the .45ACP is my personal favorite pistol caliber and is also available pretty much everywhere). That would be a potent and versatile combo for everything from near touching distance (where most realistic gunfights take place when the pistols clear leather and the lead starts flying) to a surprising distance (easily a couple hundred yards if you do your part) with the little, fast handling, light carbine, especially with a decent, variable power scope or a red dot/ACOG/SURE Fire etc...... optic. The only thing I don't care for is that it's top eject (somebody, I think Marlin, makes a side eject breech loader). Put a tac sling with 30 or so cartridge loops on your carbine and something like a 200 round SAW gunner ammo pouch on your pistol belt (milsurp catalogs like Coleman's, Cheaper Than Dirt, Ranger Joes, etc...... have them for about 15 bucks for a 2 pack and they're 9" tall, 7 and 1/2" wide, and 4" front to back. They are MOLLE and belt compatible). Put one on your pistol belt along with however many double mag/speed loader pouches you want, attach the other to your MOLLE on your pack (they should each easily carry at least 300 rounds of 30-30 and won't weigh as much as you might think) and a good combat knife (I like the U.S.M.C. KA-BAR and the German military Eikhorn) and you're all good. That's a lot of versatility with your weapons. You have 2 powerful man killers if you are attacked in a totally nuts/chaos situation, a good, powerful lever action carbine for people and animals at longer distances, plenty of ammo, a good blade, and room to carry the rest of your essential gear in a good backpack.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:57 pm

Cthulhu 669 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:29 pm

If you are carrying a carbine as your primary woods gun, might I suggest a 30-30 Winchester?
That is good advice.
I considered 30-30 for many of the reasons you mentioned. I also considered .44 mag and actually .454 casul (albeit using .45 Colt) but settled on the .357 magnum after trying it. I did this for the simple reason I inventory .357 magnum as part of my preps. Any of the other calibers would require a new caliber inventory.

The .44 mag would actually be my choice for this use due to the heavy brush in my area if I were starting from scratch.

I previously purchased the Rossi carbine to utilize the .357 magnum ammo in a long arm and thus extend the usefulness of the caliber inventory. Since I had it I decided to try it in this use before I went down the path of other calibers. It works well enough for the task and it is compact and light weight to carry. What can I say other than IMO "the best firearm and caliber is the one that you have handy and loaded..."

Still I have other calibers available should I see the need.

I have at times used an M-4orgery in 5.56mm for feral hog pest control purposes but fortunately the population of the critters in my acreage is such that I now typically see them only singularly or in pairs even at the feeder.

delarey

Post by delarey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:52 pm

I don't have any experience with 30-30, but looking at paper, you could do a helluva lot worse! Especially with the Hornady stuff. It's a thumper for sure.

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”