Feels like it’s time to start stocking the caches...

The place to discuss adding firearms to your emergency preparedness plans.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Feels like it’s time to start stocking the caches...

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:57 am

...not because I’m worried about anything in particular, but because ammo and spare parts prices are so dang low! Even retail prices around here make it worth stocking up when it’s on sale.

For example: $0.35/round for 5.56 with free shipping plus 10 “free” mags at PSA

That’s a good bit cheaper than I can reload. I’m sure I can find similar deals if I look around the usual places.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Feels like it’s time to start stocking the caches...

Post by Halfapint » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:47 pm

91Eunozs wrote:...not because I’m worried about anything in particular, but because ammo and spare parts prices are so dang low! Even retail prices around here make it worth stocking up when it’s on sale.

That’s a good bit cheaper than I can reload. I’m sure I can find similar deals if I look around the usual places.
I always wait until OSA has what I need with mags. I bought optics, and ammo, and either stuff “with 10 mags” I’ve not got I don’t even want to say how many PMags. They had a while ago, but 10 pmags, get 10 free, it was for a total of $30 or so for 20 pmags. With free shipping.

I just bought a 3 wire braided carbine buffed spring and buffer for $15 (I think it was blackrifle co, I mean prices are crazy. I just picked up a used Springfield xdm 9mm for $300 with 3 mags. Has a LITTLE bit of wear on it but new bbl.

I think it’s time to buy a big PVC pipes.....
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Shotzee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks/days
original dotd
house of the dead

Post by Shotzee » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:54 pm

God, I remember years ago when gun stores would try to get people to buy ammo because of some impending shortage "Due to the war in the middle east".

I want to retroactively go and punch them in the face.

Looking at old invoices from 5 years ago. Ammo is the same or cheaper now.
"Your friend's dead, and Meryn Trant's not, 'cause Trant had armor. And a big fucking sword."- The Hound

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:41 pm

http://palmettostatearmory.com/420-roun ... scope.html

Sell the scope for $180 and you're still at 20 cents/rd for 62gr steel core.

Yup, time to stock pile.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:21 pm

I told myself I’d just delete those dang daily deal blast emails from Palmetto State Armory, but noooooooo...... I had to open one today.

500 rounds of CCI Blazer 9mm on the way. Just under $0.20/rd ($9.90/box of 50) with free shipping on 10 or more boxes.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:29 pm

Halfapint wrote:
91Eunozs wrote:...not because I’m worried about anything in particular, but because ammo and spare parts prices are so dang low! Even retail prices around here make it worth stocking up when it’s on sale.

I always wait until OSA has what I need with mags. I bought optics, and ammo, and either stuff “with 10 mags” I’ve not got I don’t even want to say how many PMags. They had a while ago, but 10 pmags, get 10 free, it was for a total of $30 or so for 20 pmags. With free shipping.

I just bought a 3 wire braided carbine buffed spring and buffer for $15 (I think it was blackrifle co, I mean prices are crazy. I just picked up a used Springfield xdm 9mm for $300 with 3 mags. Has a LITTLE bit of wear on it but new bbl.

OSA?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:51 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

OSA?
he fat fingered the keyboard, probably meant PSA

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Have zero need for another AR lower, but damn...Anderson stripped lowers $30 each (plus FFL transfer fees of course). Limit 3/ household...

https://www.primaryarms.com/anderson-ma ... 24HourSale

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:46 am

And a follow up... barrel and upper recever for $90!!! :shock:

https://www.primaryarms.com/bear-creek- ... Ad_15_BOGO

No need for another 5.56 upper, but I can’t afford not to buy one this cheap.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:43 am

91Eunozs wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:46 am
And a follow up... barrel and upper recever for $90!!! :shock:

https://www.primaryarms.com/bear-creek- ... Ad_15_BOGO

No need for another 5.56 upper, but I can’t afford not to buy one this cheap.
I saw that! Must resist ...

moab

Post by moab » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:55 am

Their pistol deals are killing me! $259 with an upper, brace and lower kit. $39 more dollars for the receiver and you've got an AR pistol.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:57 pm

I'm torn between mylar storage bags with oxy absorbers, or filling my PVC tubes with olive oil. The oxy absorbers create a lot of water during the reaction, and dont play well with desiccant.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Olive oil is really expensive. It is going to cost more than the gun to fill a tube these days. If you put it in say one of those vacuum sealed bags and threw a cup in there before sealing it would likely do well.

The AR market is in complete collapse. I doubt even a highly anti-gun election could reverse or even slow it at this point.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Why not use Ballistol?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:47 pm

Where does a guy get a 50 gallon drum of cosmoline? ;)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:25 pm

Halfapint wrote:
I just picked up a used Springfield xdm 9mm for $300 with 3 mags. Has a LITTLE bit of wear on it but new bbl.
I think my concern with that would be to question why a new barrel was needed. If it's an upgraded barrel, that's one thing, otherwise, I'm going to wonder how many rounds has it fired and/or who was shot with it.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:23 am

moab wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:21 pm
Halfapint wrote:

Where does a guy get a 50 gallon drum of cosmoline? ;)
Pick up a couple of Mosin Nagants and you'll have 50 gallons of the stuff right there. :rofl:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:05 am

If I could convince the wife and fit it into the budget I'd be stocking up like mad right now. Neither is going to happen though. Yeah, I know we just bought a shotty and the same amount could have built a medium quality AR, but the shotty was already planned for in our new house list, an AR wasn't.

:(

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:31 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:25 pm
Halfapint wrote:
I just picked up a used Springfield xdm 9mm for $300 with 3 mags. Has a LITTLE bit of wear on it but new bbl.
I think my concern with that would be to question why a new barrel was needed. If it's an upgraded barrel, that's one thing, otherwise, I'm going to wonder how many rounds has it fired and/or who was shot with it.
Fair enough, it wasn't an upgraded, it was a new Springfield bbl. And sorry I didn't see your other reply, OSA was suppose to be PSA. That entire response was awful, I think I was having a mini stroke or something while typing that, it makes almost no sense. :oops:
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:31 pm
NT2C wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:25 pm
Halfapint wrote:
Fair enough, it wasn't an upgraded, it was a new Springfield bbl. And sorry I didn't see your other reply, OSA was suppose to be PSA. That entire response was awful, I think I was having a mini stroke or something while typing that, it makes almost no sense. :oops:
Not a biggie. I try so hard to be the grey man that I'm used to being ignored. 8-)

Return to “Initial Firearms Prepping Q&A”