Curio and Relics Ex-NFA weapons question

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

che4rev

Curio and Relics Ex-NFA weapons question

Post by che4rev » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Have the FN Nazi HiPower and the Mauser Bolo pistol been added to the ex-NFA Curio and Relics list? I see quite a few on Gunbroker with stocks, but you also see SP-89s with foregrips on there all the time and I don't want to get busted with one of those. I assume that lax enforcement and ignorance of a very complex set of laws has lead to this and not liberalization of the list, but I don't know.
Pacifism is just self righteous complicity.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: Curio and Relics Ex-NFA weapons question

Post by yossarian » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:43 pm

http://www.atf.gov/publications/downloa ... 300-11.pdf

I think section 3 has what you're looking for.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:34 pm

An original WWII FN built High Power is automatically on the C&R list due to it's age. Same goes for an original Bolo Broomhandle. Once a weapon is 50 years old, and in original configuration, it's automatically a C&R.
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:26 am

So the ATF won't go ape if I buy a C/96, and stock/holster?
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Viper shtf wrote:So the ATF won't go ape if I buy a C/96, and stock/holster?

My understanding is that the exception for shoulder stock pistols only applies for C&R pistols originally designed for a shoulder stock and only when used with original, not reproduction, stocks.

I haven't looked into this for awhile so things may have changed.
----

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:59 pm

Every mention of these items in the C&R books mentions that it's a gun original made to accept the stock, and accompanied by an original stock.

No repros either of the gun or the stock - an original.

S'how I read it.

Example: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =305989824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:33 pm

So no repro stock/holsters? damn.
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

che4rev

Post by che4rev » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:14 am

Trebor wrote:An original WWII FN built High Power is automatically on the C&R list due to it's age. Same goes for an original Bolo Broomhandle. Once a weapon is 50 years old, and in original configuration, it's automatically a C&R.

There are several c&r lists. The one that I am referring to is the ex-NFA list. Just because something is 50 years old doesn't exempt it from the National Firearms Act. The ex-NFA list is expanded by Congress each year to include things like Winchester 92s with 15 in barrels that fall between a certain serial number range. 14 years ago the bolo and nazi hipower weren't on the list.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:34 am

Trebor wrote: Once a weapon is 50 years old, and in original configuration, it's automatically a C&R.
So all 1911's made prior to 1962 are all C&R's now? and Garands? And some early AR-15s?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:00 am

crypto wrote:
Trebor wrote: Once a weapon is 50 years old, and in original configuration, it's automatically a C&R.
So all 1911's made prior to 1962 are all C&R's now? and Garands? And some early AR-15s?
Yep. Note the "original configuration" clause though. But, yeah, I'm a S&W collector and now there are a few years of post-57 "Model number" Smiths that I can get delivered right to my door with my C&R FFL. I do need to know the date of manufacture though, which on some guns is hard to determine. (Any S&W made before 1957 used a model name, instead of a model number, so those are easy to tell that they are C&R eligible).
----

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:01 am

che4rev wrote:
Trebor wrote:An original WWII FN built High Power is automatically on the C&R list due to it's age. Same goes for an original Bolo Broomhandle. Once a weapon is 50 years old, and in original configuration, it's automatically a C&R.

There are several c&r lists. The one that I am referring to is the ex-NFA list. Just because something is 50 years old doesn't exempt it from the National Firearms Act. The ex-NFA list is expanded by Congress each year to include things like Winchester 92s with 15 in barrels that fall between a certain serial number range. 14 years ago the bolo and nazi hipower weren't on the list.
Since I'm not familiar with the ex NFA list I can't answer.

Maybe someone on a more C&R oriented firearms board would know. I recommend Gunboards.com
----

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:19 am

I'm curious about section 5 of that document, specifically "Things that are both C&R and NFA regulated"

Whats the point? I mean, if you need a tax stamp to get it, what's the point of having it on the C&R list at all?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

che4rev

Post by che4rev » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:05 am

It establishes them as collector's items. This is important in states that only allow class three as curios.

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:44 pm

che4rev wrote:It establishes them as collector's items. This is important in states that only allow class three as curios.
Plus, if you have a C&R license you can get it sent right to your door once the ATF transfer paperwork is approved. This cuts out having to first get it transfered to a MG dealer in your state and then transfered to you.
----

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”