It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: September Postal Match
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:44 am 

It's that time again, folks! Time for the September ZS Postal Match! You will find your scenario below, as well as your targets. Have fun!

Prize: TBD by the ZS board.

Quote:
You're still so exhausted, but the adrenaline dump of the small skirmish refreshed you, for now. You notice that the smoke is much heavier as you approach your homestead. Fear begins to take hold that maybe, maybe, your homestead has caught a flame. Did you leave a lantern burning while you were gone? Did the wood burner burst? What could have happened?

You come to the fence line and see flames leaping from the roof of your homestead in the distance, the barn is almost entirely charred, and what livestock you had left either broke free of the fencing, or must have been stuck in their pens when the fire caught.

You frantically pick your way into your home to see if there's any possibility of putting out the fire but find that your extinguishers have already burst from the intense flames. You gasp as you struggle in the smoke-filled air, your eyes stinging with tears from the acrid mess, or from the loss, you can't tell which. As you duck to reduce the fog you grab the pack you've left by the door and dart outside.

You back away from the roaring bonfire that was once your home and move to your off-site root cellar, tearing open the door and grabbing at the few things you have left. A few boxes of ammo, jerky, a box of canned goods, a few steel cans of fuel, some more supplies that are too numerous and/or small to name. These things you load into your truck and you sit down to have, ironically, a smoke.

After you're done, you check your bearings and take an inventory. You have enough fuel to travel a fair distance between what's in the vehicle and what you had stored, you also have enough food to last you at least a week with careful rationing. Rifling through your pack you take note of your "small game getter", which will be handy later on, rope, and other goodies.

At this point you're all but exhausted, and as you pull to a far part of one of your fields, you notice tire tracks, deep gouges, scored into the mud and grass. This is something you're going to investigate later, absolutely, but for now, you're too tired to care. You kick your feet up into the bench seat, lock the doors, and hunker down for some rest.

When you wake up, you notice the infection you had previously has already calmed some and the wound site doesn't feel as hot as it once did. You look out of the vehicle and notice that your homestead is a cinder, it's going to be dark soon, and there are shambling shapes. You know that in order to investigate what happened, you're absolutely going to have to deal with the predators coming toward your area, and that you'll need a solid night of sleep to shake off this exhaustion, so you quietly break out your weapons and step down out of the truck.

From the hood of your vehicle, it's an easy progression of targets. There's one near you at 25, two further at 50, and one at the edge of the field at 100 yards. These should be easy peasy, even in your fugue state at having lost so much.

Please print four of the targets included in this post (you may also use the Alternative target if your range master does not allow silhouette targets) and use two rounds per target. There are no caliber restrictions (except on reduced scale targets), and you may choose a weapon you are comfortable with.

Targets (as well as expanded rules) are available on the Postal Match details page, or the links at the end of this post. Please send all targets to postalmatch@zombiehunters.org. In the event of a tie, targets will be judged based on how close to the bullseye they were. Remember all targets should be printed on 8.5"x11" paper for scoring purposes.

Remember targets are due no later than September 30th at 11:59pm (EST). Good luck!

Target: Zombies (1 at 25 yards, 2 at 50 yards, 1 at 100 yards)

Alt. Target: Zombies Alt (1 at 25 yards, 2 at 50 yards, 1 at 100 yards)

Fake Edit: Additionally, thanks to one of our members (MingTheMerciless), we have reduced scale targets for use as well. These I am strictly limiting to .22lr for their use, which should coincide with any local indoor range caliber restrictions as well as make scoring a fair bit easier since there won't be giant holes in it.

If you want to use one of the reduced scale targets, they are available on the Postal Match page. Standard math says that if you use the 1/2 scale or 1/4 scale, you half the distance you shoot at and quarter the distance you're shooting at, respectively.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:30 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I might make this one. I always say that. :words: :words:

*even the wise man dwells in a fool's paradise

Survived ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon X
Survived ZombieCon X
Stayed toasty warm at ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon Twenty Eleven
Barely survived ZombieCon 2011

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:06 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Just shot this one this morning and this time I even put both rounds on the paper at 100 yards! Big improvement since I dont think I scored anything at all on our last 100 yard shoot. Anyway, good luck everybody.

1st Place - May 2012 Postal Match
1st Place - September 2012 Postal Match
1st Place - Jan/Feb 2013 Postal Match
1st Place - Sept/Oct 2013 Postal Match

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:12 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I'm new to this match. I read over the Postal Match page, but didn't see the answers to these questions.

1. How many rounds/hits per target.

2. Time limit?

3. What meets the require shooting position, to simulate over a truck hood? I will actually shoot over a truck hood, but just asking...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:16 pm 

ShooterMike wrote:
I'm new to this match. I read over the Postal Match page, but didn't see the answers to these questions.

1. How many rounds/hits per target.

2. Time limit?

3. What meets the require shooting position, to simulate over a truck hood? I will actually shoot over a truck hood, but just asking...

1) That is answered in the first post. The Postal Page is expanded rules, I generally lay it out in the first post of the Postal Match for that month.

2) There is no time limit. This is just for fun and as such, I take people on their word about their shooting ability and whatnot so there's no need for one.

3) You're allowed to shoot however you're comfortable. I, for one, am not going to mandate positions, though it adds realism if you're shooting the same way it reads (which in that case could be simply from a bench without any bags), which always makes things more fun to test your skills.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:42 am 

New here, I have a few questions on the shoots. Do you have to be a member of Zombie Squad to be able to do the shoots? Also where do you send the targets?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:49 am 

ShoelessJoe wrote:
New here, I have a few questions on the shoots. Do you have to be a member of Zombie Squad to be able to do the shoots? Also where do you send the targets?

Please go here. http://zombiehunters.org/postmatch.php

You only need to be a forum member.

The email to send the targets to is both in the first post and on the Postal Match page.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:13 pm 

Ok Thanks! I think I got it sent in. Thanks again for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:17 pm 

We have our winner.

Troy Adam, with a total score of 69 points! I will be in touch with someone from the board to get you a prize picked out and sent.

The following was the equipment he used.

Weapon - Springfield M1 Garand, open sights.
Ammunition - 30-06, 150 grain Greek M2 ball surplus ammo.

Our honorable mention is ShoelessJoe.

Range Details - 58 degrees , overcast, slight wind.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:13 pm 

October match is up!

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=99938

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:28 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Thanks, I'll be watching the mail and good luck to everyone in the October match.

1st Place - May 2012 Postal Match
1st Place - September 2012 Postal Match
1st Place - Jan/Feb 2013 Postal Match
1st Place - Sept/Oct 2013 Postal Match