Tunnel Rat Poll

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Welcome to Nam Tunnel Rat. Choose your tunnel weapon wisely you only get one

1. Colt 1911- powerful but only 8 rounds chambered
40%
2. Smith and Wesson/Colt 38 revolver- reliable and misfires less of a problem though reloading is gonna be stressful!
No votes
3. 870 Remington sawed off 12 ga pump very powerful but not easy to use in very cramped quarters with a flashlight
20%
4. Browning Hi Power- 13 rounds is nice but ball 9mm from the 60's
40%
5. High Standard 22 auto pistol suppressed- quiet, which preserves your hearing and sneak factor but it's a 22
No votes

Total votes: 10

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Tunnel Rat Poll

Post by The Twizzler » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:40 pm

So the the year is 1969 and you just arrived in Vietnam.You arrive at HQ and are informed you are new the Tunnel Rat for your unit. You are to pick up your weapon and flashlight and head into the field pronto. That's right no special training, just get your weapon and meet your platoon commander we hear he's found a new one today. No mention of what happened to the previous tunnel rat :(

For those unaware, tunnel rats were US, Australian, and New Zealand soldiers who would descend down into tunnels created by the Viet Cong to hide supply caches, take cover from enemy bombardment, conceal and move undetected around enemy lines. If you were lucky the tunnel would be abandoned but it might have been booby trapped (grenades, punji sticks, flood gates,poisonous snakes, etc.)or it was occupied and you have a fight on your hands.

So, what do you descend into the darkness with? Flashlight is a must have. You can only choose one of the weapons from the poll . Choose wisely my son.

Note: the ammo used will be ball ammo and as much as you choose to carry.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Stercutus

Re: Tunnel Rat Poll

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:49 pm

None of the above. I'm with this guy:

https://i.redd.it/858ydakr1bz01.jpg

And this one:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8f/8d/5c ... 3e6f3d.jpg

Suppressed .38 for crawling around in the confined dirt tunnel for the win. Flashlight attached is early adoption (pic2) of weapon lights.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:06 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:49 pm
None of the above. I'm with this guy:

https://i.redd.it/858ydakr1bz01.jpg

And this one:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8f/8d/5c ... 3e6f3d.jpg

Suppressed .38 for crawling around in the confined dirt tunnel for the win. Flashlight attached is early adoption (pic2) of weapon lights.
I voted for the BHP.

But I was thinking of the suppressed revolver too, so I looked it up. From what I read, the light on top might have actually been an attempt at a laser? The light on his head with what looks to be a mouth piece actually being used for illumination. I don't know. Just what I read. Same place said the thing on top of the revolver was not very rugged and led to the military branches giving it a pass over.

I was wondering how a cut down M3 Carbine would work. Especially with suppressor. I don't know what other IR tech would have been available. But the M3 would have been a bit unpleasant trying to maneuver in the tunnels.

I also wonder if a gas mask and either CS tear gas or just plain smoke grenades would have helped make the tunnel rat's job easier?

*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:17 pm

You left out option 6: drop a pair of M61 grenades into the vertical access to said rat tunnel, followed by a satchel charge. Now I'm waving over that up-armored D6 from the engineering battalion so he can tuck any survivors in for a very long and well-deserved nap.

Momma didn't raise no dummy. Oorah!

OK, OK, I'll play ball. Colt 1911 if it's vertical access like I outlined above. If the approach is horizontal, I choose the 870.

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:56 pm

My father-in-law was one. I believe he preferred a knife.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:02 pm

If said tunnel is big enough for my 6'3", 200+ lb frame.....then maybe a Colt 607/GX-5857.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:41 pm

I guess grenades, satchel charges followed by flamethrower is out ?

I would take the 1911. Honestly I am more worried about the flashlights they have in the 1960s. Dim POS that never worked after getting hit.

Going from bright sunshine into a tunnel with a PR2 bulb and 2 D cell batteries is not a good way to see what is ahead.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:46 pm

raptor wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:41 pm
I guess grenades, satchel charges followed by flamethrower is out ?

I would take the 1911. Honestly I am more worried about the flashlights they have in the 1960s. Dim POS that never worked after getting hit.

Going from bright sunshine into a tunnel with a PR2 bulb and 2 D cell batteries is not a good way to see what is ahead.
My preference would be a nice FAE mix and an incendiary round from a good distance, but that's me.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:03 pm

BHP . At the distances you will be shooting 60's ball ain't gonna matter. But how much choice do you think the real tunnel rats had? It would probably just be something from whatever was normally carried on patrol. Didn't 60's era U.S. military use Winchester or Stevens shotguns?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:03 pm

I'll take the .22. It'll make the smallest hole in my foot. Ooops,I had an accident, looks like I need to go home. I'll need a good book while I recover. This one looks like good reading https://www.amazon.com/Tunnels-Cu-Chi-R ... B00AN54AQ2

Seriously, that book should be required reading.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:11 pm

yossarian wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:03 pm
I'll take the .22. It'll make the smallest hole in my foot. Ooops,I had an accident, looks like I need to go home. I'll need a good book while I recover. This one looks like good reading https://www.amazon.com/Tunnels-Cu-Chi-R ... B00AN54AQ2

Seriously, that book should be required reading.
[/poll]

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:14 pm

Satchel charges and grenades were used back then but there were a number of problems.

- The tunnels were built to withstand such things and had multiple exits. Suddenly the enemy popup all around you.

- No way to gather and exploit intelligence

- If prisoners were in there....
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:50 am

1911. That what I carried when I was Active. I'm pretty sure I would not have been the TR.

I say that because I was the medic.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:27 pm

One of the things based on my reading was that the 45 was the common option but that some rats didn't like them due to muzzle flash. The High Standard in 22 suppressed was available to spec ops troops and if you were lucky you might get one. Some one said earlier they wanted a suppressed 38 revolver.... I just wanted to inform you suppressors don't work on revolvers unless it's a Nagant ( a terrible gun). As for just a knife I wouldn't want to have to fight this guy in a tunnel with just a knife.

Any other thoughts on positives and negatives of the choices presented?
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:05 pm

I think the Soviets were working on a newer suppressed revolver a few years ago (sort of a modern Nagant, but less fugly and using better ammo), but that's a bit late for use in Vietnam.

As for the topic, I'd probably go for either the 1911 or maybe a cut down M1 carbine.

Also, if they're sending a guy my size into those cramped tunnels, they must either be desperate for guys or someone's misread my file. :lol:

If I remember correctly, guys who got tunnel rat duty were usually pretty small framed and skinny. Not guys who are over 6 feet tall and over 250 pounds. I'd have likely been stuck lugging an M60 around (or one of those Stoner 63's if I was lucky).

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:16 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:05 pm

If I remember correctly, guys who got tunnel rat duty were usually pretty small framed and skinny. Not guys who are over 6 feet tall and over 250 pounds. I'd have likely been stuck lugging an M60 around (or one of those Stoner 63's if I was lucky).
Yes, and at least according to my history professor years ago, often guys of Hispanic or Asian heritage. That made coming out of the hole nearly as dangerous as going in if you popped up in a different spot.

Also, I remember reading that an angle head flashlight tied to a stick was a popular trick. It could be held out away from the body. Headlamps weren't a great idea, they attracted bullets.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:09 pm

Mark me as a "None of the above"

pump in a few hundred gallon of Avgas and Diesel. Marinate. Add a willie peter for garnish.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”