Ammo can or Ammo Brick?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wild Zero
Planet Terror
Army Of Darkness
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
+ many more

Ammo can or Ammo Brick?

Post by 74 or more » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:20 am

I searched for this but didn't find anything. I'd be surprised if this hasn't been talked about before though.

Does anyone use Ammo Bricks to store ammo?
https://www.waterbrick.org/product/ammo ... rab-green/

I'm wondering if this would be a better or worse alternative to the traditional ammo can. I definitely like how light they are. Like ammo cans, they're stack-able, have a gasket that seals the lid, carry handle, etc. I have one that i simply use to carry boxes of ammo when going to the range. I don't know why I've been hesitant to do long term storage in them. So i thought I'd throw it up here and see if anyone else has some thoughts.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Re: Ammo can or Ammo Brick?

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:28 am

Ive honestly never seen them. But due to my limited space...the ammo can shapes fit better in my closets. Thats just based on my personal dwelling at the moment. I wouldnt mind those though.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 am

If I buy that much ammo it comes in a can. When I use the can up I now have an empty can.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:38 am

The ammo brick looks neat, but that thin wire handle (kind of like what you see on big paint cans) has me concerned about its longevity.

But I guess if you're just using them for storage and not dragging them out to the range all the time, the wire handle might be good to go.

I'm still going to stick with my regular GI type ammo cans due to space issues and the fact I already have a bunch of them.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:52 am

I read an experience of a man who is a prepper and went through a flood. Most of his ammo was destroyed. Over 9,000 rounds. After that I decided I need cans with lids which lock tight, will not pop open accidentally, and eventually I need to buy battle packs with ammo in sealed bags I can then put in ammo cans or other sealed containers.

Some might not expect flooding in their state. Colorado experienced serious flooding. That is pretty far inland. Iowa and Nebraska have had serious flooding at times. I bet some houses previously considered "safe" in the Carolinas are now experiencing flooding. I bet a lot of people in NY and the surrounding area had not previously experienced flooding before Sandy.

Just my $.02.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:04 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:52 am
... I need to buy battle packs with ammo in sealed bags I can then put in ammo cans or other sealed containers.
Buy a vacuum sealer and make your own. Seriously, a good vacuum sealer can be used for more than just food storage. I use mine for long-term storage of things like batteries (no worries if any leak in storage), ammo, matches, tinder, etc. What you save in less wasted food and being able to make custom "prep packs" will more than make up the cost.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Those bricks look moderately interesting, but kind of flimsy. How high can they be stacked before the weight starts to crush the bottom one? How secure are they against bursting if one gets dropped or needs to be tossed? I like my GI cans because I know I could toss one from the roof rack of the Jeep without worry, or stack 'em several feet high in storage. The biggest advantages I see for the bricks is they won't rust and can be used as a pail if needed.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:04 pm

I am eagerly awaiting the day they make something better then the skinny "30 cal" ammo cans for storing ammo, but I haven't seen it yet. I toyed with some modern plastic cans because of the lighter weight, but the amount that the container can deform and break the seal was a dealbreaker right off the bat, and then to put the nail in the coffin the shapes that plastic containers generally require to offer even this sup-par rigidity amounts to a significant increase in overall bulk. The straight walls and near-zero increase in width at the lid means I can pack ammo more densely into tight spaces (like the bottom of my tiny safe) and also remove it easier with less snagging. I still use the plastic cans for "casual" ammo, mags and accessories, but not for long term storage, caching, or manpacking:

Mylar+vacuum sealer is probably the most accessible way to battle pack ammo, but I've been considering getting some heat-sealable TPU (think packrafts, and other light weight inflatable boats) to test for general caching, but also for packaging combat loads on stripper clips when the battlepack won't be living inside a more durable container like a can. Basically an MSR dromedary full of 5.56, you can get up to a 1000d shell fabric pretty easily which should protect from punctures enough to use them on their own. If it goes well the fabric battlepacks would largely alleviate any need for a lighter can.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:16 pm

The military is usually pretty on-point when it comes to making something as simple and reliable as possible (some might say more out of pecuniary concerns, than absolute functionality and reliability). If you are looking for an ammo hauler design that "just works", yet has some surprisingly thoughtful (and sometimes subtle) features incorporated over decades of minor refinements, I'd say that the GI ammo can is your choice.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:32 pm

That's pretty neat, but I think I'd stick with ammo cans. The only real advantage seems to be size (compared to a 30cal can), which could be a disadvantage (1.6 gallons of ammo would be dang heavy).

Otherwise the ammo cans cost about the same, are proven, tough, have a host of aftermarket/repair parts, cost about the same, and (despite Waterbrick's marketing spiel) stack at least as well.

I'm all for innovation, and thanks for finding something new to at least consider, but I think those guys need to really rethink their product. I think MTM probably makes the best "plastic ammo can stand-in". There's some other options (Pelican, maybe the plastic 25mm box), but they're either more expensive (Pelican) and/or hard to find (25mm box).

Though I do think the 25mm box looks cool.

Do keep an eye out, though: just because this product seems bust doesn't mean there's not something else out there that'll beat out old-fashioned GI cans.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:16 pm

Something else to maybe consider is the various state requirements for transporting ammo and firearms. Most states are pretty steadfast in wanting the two to be as separate as possible, usually requiring one or the other to be locked. This isn't such a problem if you drive a vehicle with a trunk, but can be an issue in other vehicles. There are a few aftermarket kits for adding locks to military cans, making for pretty secure storage. (Also useful for safe home storage of ammo.)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10084 ... teel-black

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wild Zero
Planet Terror
Army Of Darkness
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
+ many more

Post by 74 or more » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks for all the replies. To be honest i didn't even consider the idea that the lid could easily pop off. I do like the secure shut of the GI ammo can. I think after reading these replies, i tend to agree that the standard GI can has an edge.

But i will say that the Ammo Brick is actually really sturdy and i don't see the handle breaking or bending under normal use. And i don't see the shape starting to change when completely full like Plano boxes. Though I could see the handle bending if, say, it were to take an awkward fall (for example). I still like it for taking boxes of different calibers to the range.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:13 pm

I think it says a lot that replacement handles and lids are linked directly below the product description.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:59 pm

An example of how tough GI ammo cans are, I had 3 full of various types of ammo and closed normally. They detonated scattering brass for 25-50' during my store fire.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:44 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:04 pm
I am eagerly awaiting the day they make something better then the skinny "30 cal" ammo cans for storing ammo, but I haven't seen it yet. I toyed with some modern plastic cans because of the lighter weight, but the amount that the container can deform and break the seal was a dealbreaker right off the bat, and then to put the nail in the coffin the shapes that plastic containers generally require to offer even this sup-par rigidity amounts to a significant increase in overall bulk. The straight walls and near-zero increase in width at the lid means I can pack ammo more densely into tight spaces (like the bottom of my tiny safe) and also remove it easier with less snagging. I still use the plastic cans for "casual" ammo, mags and accessories, but not for long term storage, caching, or manpacking:

Mylar+vacuum sealer is probably the most accessible way to battle pack ammo, but I've been considering getting some heat-sealable TPU (think packrafts, and other light weight inflatable boats) to test for general caching, but also for packaging combat loads on stripper clips when the battlepack won't be living inside a more durable container like a can. Basically an MSR dromedary full of 5.56, you can get up to a 1000d shell fabric pretty easily which should protect from punctures enough to use them on their own. If it goes well the fabric battlepacks would largely alleviate any need for a lighter can.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... 2KEALw_wcB
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:54 pm

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:07 am

I have my share of 50's, wide 50s, and 40mm; The 30's are the only thing I really use for ammo. They are far more portable if you have to lug them by the top handle, and in the case of pack boarding the slimmer width keeps the weight closer to your COG for better carriage. My 50's mostly sit empty.

plus, I can get 30's for $3 apiece locally ;)
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:56 am

I have one 30 cal can, a slew (maybe a dozen or two... three?) 50 cal cans, and a couple of 20mm cans. The 50s are my "go to" cans for a lot of reasons, not the least of which being that when your buddy is a range safety officer at Quantico you have effectively an unlimited supply (and I can buy 'em by the pallet full surplus at govt auctions in Norfolk) and they're useful buggers for all sorts of things. I use a few as tool boxes (found they locked into the shelves in my utility truck perfectly), some as hardware (nuts, bolts, screws, etc.) boxes, some as radio gear boxes, some (filled with sand or the aforementioned hardware) as weights for guy ropes, and some as (shocker) ammo cans. The 30 cal box I find is too small for most of my ammo. I was using it for my .22WMR ammo for awhile but quickly outgrew it. Right now it's holding my .380 ammo but I expect to exceed its capacity with my next ammo order since I've taken to buying 500-1,00 rounds per order lately.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:24 am

Most of my ammo cans are the .50 cal ones. I've got a couple of the .30 cal ones, but I typically just use the 50s.

Three of them are the so called "fat fifty" type that are wider than the standard .50 cal cans.

I also picked up a couple aftermarket .50 cal cans like you find at Sam's Club stores around the holidays. Those are pretty good as well and come with a .30 cal can inside as an added bonus. So I get two cans for about 20 bucks.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:44 am

74 or more wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:50 pm
But i will say that the Ammo Brick is actually really sturdy and i don't see the handle breaking or bending under normal use.
it is likely to come off on one side when sitting around (yes bending the handles closed can fix this). I say this as an owner of a couple of water bricks.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Personally I prefer the .50 cal cans. the several plastic ones I tried did not work as well so I used to bring ammo to the range since they are a lighter.

BTW a storage suggestion. Buckets used to store pool chlorine tablets can hold a lot of ammo. It is my understanding (not that I ever do this myself) is that the larger buckets can store several .50 cal cans discretely in the back of the pool supply locker. The buckets are heavy gauge plastic water proof and water resistant. They also do not scream ammo.

One would of course carefully clean, wash and flush with water, any traces of chlorine out of the bucket since it is an oxidant and will corrode any metal. Of course one could also wrap said ammo cans in a garbage bag for further water resistance. The buckets that hold plastic packets of pool shock are the least contaminated and easiest to repurpose. BTW they also stack neatly and are stabile ...or so I am told.

If you stack them at the back and keep the inventory on top of them and the open buckets in front even the pool dude will not mess with them... or so I am told.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:07 pm

raptor wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:35 pm
Personally I prefer the .50 cal cans. the several plastic ones I tried did not work as well so I used to bring ammo to the range since they are a lighter.

BTW a storage suggestion. Buckets used to store pool chlorine tablets can hold a lot of ammo. It is my understanding (not that I ever do this myself) is that the larger buckets can store several .50 cal cans discretely in the back of the pool supply locker. The buckets are heavy gauge plastic water proof and water resistant. They also do not scream ammo.

One would of course carefully clean, wash and flush with water, any traces of chlorine out of the bucket since it is an oxidant and will corrode any metal. Of course one could also wrap said ammo cans in a garbage bag for further water resistance. The buckets that hold plastic packets of pool shock are the least contaminated and easiest to repurpose. BTW they also stack neatly and are stabile ...or so I am told.

If you stack them at the back and keep the inventory on top of them and the open buckets in front even the pool dude will not mess with them... or so I am told.
The ammo equivalent of a diversion safe. Or so I am told. :wink:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:23 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:07 pm
raptor wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:35 pm

The ammo equivalent of a diversion safe. Or so I am told. :wink:
I wouldn't know anything at all about stuff like this, or about putting ammo cans covered with a layer of litter in the bottom of open kitty litter pails. Nope, not me, the guy with four cats and lots and lots of litter pails. :crazy:

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:19 pm

I keep shotgun and most rifle ammo in .50 cans, and pistol and .22LR in .30 cans.

It works for me, though I do kinda wish the .30 cans and .50 cans inter-stacked more neatly. I have mine color-coded, though since I've forgotten what the colors mean I moved to some printed and laminated magnet labels instead; maybe I'll strip and repaint 'em one of these days...but probably not.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”