Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

Post by RickOShea » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Ahhh…..that new gun chat smell.

-------------------------------------------

Speer delivers new Gold Dot 10mm Auto load to Gold Dot line

Speer Ammunition adds to its ammo inventory launching the 10mm Auto 200-grain personal defense load. The “power-packed” 10mm load was created for optimal self-defense performance.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Re: Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Love me some 10mm. My glock 40 would agree :rofl:
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:00 pm

10mm is the caliber of the next pistol on my wish list, what a coincidence! :awesome:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

TheContractor

Post by TheContractor » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:09 pm

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:26 pm

Have waffled on a 10mm for a couple months now...played with an STI 2011 in 10mm at my local gun shop range and very tempted.

For the money though, gonna try some .45 Super/.450SMC after a couple mods to one of my 1911s, or maybe my G21 with a heavier recoil spring since I’m already running a barrel with a fully supported chamber (Stormlake).

Anyone else here running .45 Super...thoughts vs. 10mm?
Last edited by 91Eunozs on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:28 pm

AC-Unity 60-Round Quad Stack 7.62x39mm AK Magazines

"AC-Unity is a firearms and accessories manufacturing company located in Bosnia and Herzegovina. They have recently started exporting new quad stack 60-round 7.62x39mm AK magazines to the USA. This company and its products are mostly unknown to the American gun community that’s why I decided to do a little research to find out who they are and what they make.

According to the company, years of experience in the polymer materials industry allowed them to formulate a new, impact resistant polymer which is used in these 60-round magazines. The material is said to perform well under extreme environmental conditions and temperatures: from -40°F to 176°F (-40°C to +80°C). These magazines feature metal-reinforced front and rear locking lugs as well as a mechanism that allows holding the bolt carrier group back when the last round is fired. There are also windows on either side of the magazine with markings (22, 34, 46 and 60) showing the amount of loaded/left ammunition. The empty weight of the AC-Unity magazine is 12.35 oz."

*PRE-ORDER* AC Unity Quad Stack 60 Round Magazine – 7.62x39mm $79.95

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:47 pm

I actually just got an email from Classic Firearms about those AK mags. :lol:

They look neat and kind of remind of those Surefire 60 round AR mags.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:44 pm

An interesting discussion with links to gel tests about 10mm.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/10mm-self-defense/

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:14 am

From FCHAT5
chills1994 wrote:I am a sucker for reading gun periodicals.

So I picked up the Book of the AK47 tonight while at the grocery store.

There is a pretty good article on the 9X39 round. Yes, the same round the VSS Vintorez uses:

It is a subsonic round and Wolf ammo is starting to import it.

Could be a game chang-a... especially for you folks in states that allow suppressors.

Maybe the next .300 Blackout???

Some manufacturers are making AR bolts, and barrels for it.
It was called the AS VAL in BF4, very deadly and quiet weapon. :mrgreen:

Image Makes it real with a pic.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:37 am

Speer only lists the muzzle velocity at 1100 fps...it's like they're not even trying. And Lucky Gunner's test only gave it 1029 average.

In other (non)news, I'm still waiting for CZ to make the -97B in 10mm. CZ-USA posted a thing of FB, asking if people preferred their 10mm 1911 threaded or longslide. I wasn't the only one who chimed in with -97. So there might be hope. Maybe.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:24 pm

It seems like 10mm users could really benefit by careful load selection of factory loads or hand loading.
The ammo companies haven’t put nearly as much effort into improving 10mm over the years. A lot of today’s 10mm factory loads actually use the same bullets with the same velocities as .40 S&W loads. But that’s not always the case.

The Hornady XTP loads are good examples. Compared to their .40 S&W counterparts, the 155 and 180 grain XTPs both have 20% more velocity in 10mm. Now to be fair, when we did our .40 S&W tests, we used a Glock 27 with a 3.4-inch barrel. Our Glock 20 10mm test gun has a 4.6-inch barrel, so this isn’t exactly an apples to apples comparison. If we added an inch to the Glock 27 barrel, we’d expect to see the velocity go up by about 30 to 80 feet per second, which would still be much slower than the 10mm loads. Using the data we do have, the XTP bullets seem to perform much better at the 10mm velocities. We get better expansion and none of the over-penetration that we see with the 40s.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:41 pm

Applies with the hardcast hunting loads as well, although to a lesser extent. A buddy of mine recently bought a Super Redhawk 10mm for anti-hog work. I went and looked up some of the factory hardcast loads.

Underwood - 200gr, 1250 fps. $19/20
Double Tap - 200 gr, 1300 fps $22.50/20
Buffalo Bore - 220 gr, 1200 fps, $31.55/20

All of those velocities were from a 5" barrel, so they'd probably get a slight boost from the 6" Super Redhawk barrel.

I ain't running none of those through my Delta Elite.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:40 pm

If you want one that is more than enough reason to buy one, but I have never understood the need for 10mm in a revolver. Between the .357, .41 and .44 magnum there seems to be a lot of choices for revolvers. IMO the 10MM is a great outdoor caliber for semi-autos. Granted that is personal preference and nothing more.

The Ruger Super Redhawk is a great revolver platform for building a 10mm "magnum" round. The Buffalo Bore 220 gr is approaching the lower end of the .44 magnum rounds.

I have had great success with the BB heavy 180 gr in .357 magnum in a Rossi model 92 trapper. The velocity out of a 16 inch barrel is amazing and it works every time on the hogs in my AO.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:20 pm

So, I saw this on Primary Arms website (actually, it came in an email): https://www.primaryarms.com/lee-armory- ... on-diy-kit

Now, I know nothing about Lee Armory or their quality. But $700 for a mostly assembled AK? That you have to install the trigger (parts included), stock, pistol grip, and handguard (all not included).

Now, you can probably find some ComBloc take-offs being sold by someone who turned his WASR into a MagPul catalog for pretty cheap, maybe less than $50.

But still, I can put together a PSA AR-15 M4gery for less than $400.

I thought one of the big advantages of the AK over the AR was supposedly that it was cheap. (Anyone know the going rate for an AKM in sub-Saharan Africa lately?)
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Langenator wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:20 pm
So, I saw this on Primary Arms website (actually, it came in an email): https://www.primaryarms.com/lee-armory- ... on-diy-kit

Now, I know nothing about Lee Armory or their quality. But $700 for a mostly assembled AK? That you have to install the trigger (parts included), stock, pistol grip, and handguard (all not included).

Now, you can probably find some ComBloc take-offs being sold by someone who turned his WASR into a MagPul catalog for pretty cheap, maybe less than $50.

But still, I can put together a PSA AR-15 M4gery for less than $400.

I thought one of the big advantages of the AK over the AR was supposedly that it was cheap. (Anyone know the going rate for an AKM in sub-Saharan Africa lately?)
Anymore I'd say the advantage of the AK is you can buy .30 cal ammo cheap and you have a steel based gun rather than an aluminum based gun. Which some see as a hindrance, rather than a boon. The AK does also seem to run better while dirty than the AR. Lots of people dispute that, though, and there are interesting examples all around.

Yeah, there is less practical reason to get an AK any more. My understanding is the 7.62x39 ARs are not quite fighting-rifle quality. At least the sub-$500 ones are not. So an AK gives you the chance to stack and fling cheap .30 cal ammo in a fighting-rifle quality setup. If you buy a quality gun.

Just my sad opinion. I do love me some Commie guns. I'd like to have more reasons to justify my choices. Commrad.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:23 am

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:45 pm
I do love me some Commie guns.
You pull the trigger, they go bang. Ya can't argue with that.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:20 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:23 am
woodsghost wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:45 pm
I do love me some Commie guns.
You pull the trigger, they go bang. Ya can't argue with that.
LOL. Except during mud tests. :rofl:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Deal Alert: Walmart is Slashing Prices on Firearms

"Walmart is cutting their prices on firearms all across the country and placing them on clearance. Weatherby Vanguards Rifles are going for $249.00. Ruger Mini-14s are priced at $399.00. You can get a Savage Axis rifles with scope for $199.00. The Ruger 10/22 Takedowns are priced low at an incredible $124.00, and there are more like this.

Is this a pre-hunting season deal-a-thon or is Walmart liquidating inventory, perhaps getting out of the firearms business?"

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:01 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:51 pm

"Walmart is cutting their prices on firearms all across the country and placing them on clearance. Weatherby Vanguards Rifles are going for $249.00. Ruger Mini-14s are priced at $399.00. You can get a Savage Axis rifles with scope for $199.00. The Ruger 10/22 Takedowns are priced low at an incredible $124.00, and there are more like this.

Is this a pre-hunting season deal-a-thon or is Walmart liquidating inventory, perhaps getting out of the firearms business?"
I do not shop at Walmart but it might be time to go in and check them out! I could use some savage axis bolt guns for testing purposes, and a 10/22 take down for 124?! i'll take 3 please
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:57 pm

Well, my little corner of Virginia has once again been made safe from menacing looking paper targets. Many rounds were sent downrange and the targets did not stand a chance. I even managed a 1 MOA 5 shot group with my buddy's M1 Carbine and iron sights at 50 yards. I also did a few similar groups at that same range with my 10/22 and my Savage 93 bolt action .22 WMR. Did have one weirdness though. Shooting 40 or 45 grain rounds with about 1800fps muzzle velocity I managed dead on 50 cent sized groups without any issue. Switch to 30 grain 2000fps rounds and they all went 2-3" to the right at the same range. Didn't matter what brand, Winchester, CCI, Federal, Hornady, if it was a 30 grain bullet it went 2-3" to the right and the groups opened up. Obviously, the cause has to be the rifling twist rate but I've never seen it happen with this rifle before. These were all partial boxes I'd previously opened and fired rounds from to see if there was a brand the rifle preferred (no preference but it hates Winchester) and which had previously been on target but with varying grouping.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:01 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:51 pm

I do not shop at Walmart but it might be time to go in and check them out! I could use some savage axis bolt guns for testing purposes, and a 10/22 take down for 124?! i'll take 3 please
I really need to check out the local Walmart to see if they have any of those deals going. If so, I might try to snag one of those 10/22 take downs if I have some free cash.

And I'd love to get a Mini-14 for 400 bucks, but I can almost guarantee if any of the Walmarts out here have any at that price, they're already gone by now.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:46 am

Ya a mini 14 at $400 would be worth it...not the usually $700.

Tooo bad no walmarts in this state carry firearms anymore. Surprised they still carry ammo.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:02 am

The website luckygunner.com just posted results from 357 Sig gel tests. The results are here and are interesting.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/357-sig-gel-test/

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:18 pm

Regarding the sales at Walmart, I mentioned this to my oldest sister and it sounds like there may be a Ruger 10/22 take down in my future as a birthday gift from her. :clap:

Now I just hope the Walmarts near me still have some by the time I can stop by again.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”