It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:13 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I posted this on a "serious" forum and got banned immediately. Hence I joined a fun loving forum... so what do you guys/gals think??

Recently, I have been reading Jurassic Park and The Lost World by Michael Crichton while at work (I wait on call a lot) and also rewatched the trilogy. In honor of the late Michael Crichton and celebration of the new movie Jurassic Park 4: Jurassic World, I want to pick the brains of the ZS members on what firearms you would use if you were the author of the books/movie.

In the books, the main weapons used are always tranquilizer guns, and in the movies the main weapons were a SPAS-12 shogun, a double rifle in .600 NE, and a host of other "movie guns".

To keep this from turning into a Zombie/Dinosaur/Alien Apocolypse thread I am asking what you would give the game warden if you were the creative consultant for the new movie... and being gun nuts, I know we can't always pick just one. I want to know what 3 long guns and 3 sidearms you would want (must be feasible and something that can easily be carried) your movie hero to use.

I hope this is something fun to get some creative juices flowing....

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:14 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I will go, I guess:

Long Guns:
1. CZ 550 in .500 Jeffrey (for big carnivores)
2. Springfield M1A SOCOM 16 (for smaller, faster predators)
3. Mossberg 590 12 gauge (for sprayin' n prayin')

Sidearms:
1. Glock 20 10mm (15 rounds of bliss)
2. Ruger Redhawk in .454 (6 rounds are better than 5)
3. CZ P-09 9mm (in case I need 19 rounds of 9mm for the little guys)

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:27 am 

AR in .458 SOCOM
40mm Grenade Launcher
Any semi auto 50BMG rifle

Glock 20 (10mm)
45-70 revolver
.38 derringer :|

Not that you asked, but I'd say 4 M2 Bradleys working together would be a good step towards your "Emergency Game Management" needs. Would make for a shorter movie, though.

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:48 am 

Long guns
M60E4 7.62x51 (personal carry)
M2,HB .50BMG (vehicle mount)
Mk 19 40mm Grenade Launcher (vehicle mount)

Handguns
HK VP70 9x19
whatever else you care for as a sidearm, as it won't likely make much difference...

Whatever you give the guy, it should come with a red shirt...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:58 am 

procyon wrote:
whatever else you care for as a sidearm, as it won't likely make much difference...

That's the reason I suggested a .38 derringer.....the best use of which will only require 1 shot at point blank range, assuming he still has the use of at least one hand.

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:50 am 

I figure a pistol i useful for any lizard under a certain weight. At what point does a pistol stop being useful on alligators? 50 lbs? 100 lbs? I really don't know, but pistols will make a difference. Just not on big stuff.

Longarm:

Barrett with a 20 inch barrel and BIG ear pro.

Different types of 40mm firing HEDP and tear gas.

Edit: Any type of man-portable anti-tank device.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:40 am 

Just out of curiosity, why did the other forum ban you? Was it PETA or something?. I don't want you to mention the forum if you don't want to, but they do kind of sound like jerks. As much as I like this forum I think they even tend to be slightly heavy handed on the moderation at times. (that should put me on the mods radar).

I am going to give you the list of guns I think they should use based on wanting it to be a cool movie with cool guns. Bare with me because I am not a gun expert.

Long guns:
Gotta have a shot gun! I thought the 12 gauge they used in The Expendables was way cool, I am guessing it was a Saiga with a 20 round drum mag.

Then I think we need a real sniper rifle. The 50 cal BMG is OK, or maybe something nice and pretty in 338 lapua, It's got to be bolt action though because it's so much better when you watch the hero work the bolt like its as smooth and fast as a blink. I think it should have a nice walnut stock too.

For the fast action shooting sequence we could either go for a nice AR or we could go all crazy and use a mini-gun like they did in the first predator movie.

Hand guns:

Well for style points how about a nice colt python with pearl grips. It should be the very first thing we see even before we even see or hero's face, just a close up of the gun.

Then a Glock with a 33 round mag for the OH SHIT, he's in trouble scene.

Lastly, either a flare gun as a desperation last resort, or a Taurus Judge, again for the cool factor.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:05 pm 

Yeah, what forum did you post this on before? Places that take a dim view of fun thought exercises also tend to take a dim view of thought. :? Not exactly the kind of place I want to sign up for.

Longarms:

Desert Tech HTI bullpup in .50 BMG - This can be the shiny/high tech/brand new gun for rampaging Tyrannosaurus Rex and company. Common caliber helps anyone who plays modern video games understand that this is Big Medicine.

This fully functioning non-replica FG-42 that RIA will be auctioning in September because FG-42. :ooh: Also, firearms that cost more than all I own are pretty scary even unloaded. (What if I dented a stamping?!)

SCAR-17 or something else modern and common for gamers to recognize and drool over. This can be the gun that is standard kit for park crew that need to be armed. Maybe chamber it for something with more ass than your standard 7.62 NATO or 308 but that's irrelevant to the objective of putting it in the movie.

Pistols:

This is harder since the distinction between pistols is a bit vague to people.

S&W 500 for the big one.

I agree with others about the G20. This one should be the park-issue or similar probably.

Last pistol would probably be something more funky. Maybe a Chiappa Rhino or sawed-off 12 gauge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:28 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The forum was "The High Road". The first 2 posters decided to tell me how my post was pretty much unacceptable, you can google my original post and it will probably show up, I go by the same name there.

I had a few other problems with them... like I asked about a semiauto handgun that was good with bad ammo, and they decided to lecture me on how I was "dangerous" for using lead handload bullets that were old. Its full of a bunch of grumpy old men who don't know the difference between opinion and fact and like to hijack people's threads for their own soapbox.... If you guys want a good laugh, I can share one of my replies to a guy who was a jerk. Not sure how that flies around here, bringing another forum in for entertainment

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:48 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Luv me some Jurassic Park. I found the portrayal of the raptors in the first book to be downright scary. The movie did not convey the same feeling, but it was still enjoyable.

My picks:

Long guns:
Winchester Model 70 Super Express .375 H&H Magnum for big stuff.
HK G3 proven 308 battle rifle for fast critters.
40mm grenade gun and all of the fun rounds that go with it for those "oh shit" situations.

Pistols:
HK USP .45 Tactical/Expert, crowd control.
Raging Judge chambered for .454 Casull as well .45 Colt and 3" .410 shot shells, dino crowd control.
Not sure what else here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:36 pm 

Sniper Rifle would be Barrett M82 in 50 cal
PD Rifle Marlin Guide Gun 45-70
Shotgun 18 in barrel 11-87 3 in mag

Pistol Glock 20 10mm and 4 in Ruger Redhawk 454

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:27 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Scar 17

.950 JDJ

Bear spray?

Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:41 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKXCu5oXgFY

This is a M1 Garand in 458 Win Mag.

Other than that I'd also go with a PTR-91.
I'd also like to bring an AR-15 in 300 BLK with the appropriate suppressor.
I'd also toss in a Marlin Guide gun in 45/70.

Side arms would be a Glock 20 in 10mm and Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag.

Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:36 pm 

Everybody gets Mosins. You can't lose sight of your bottom line when running a hypothetical theme park! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:30 pm 

The biggest carnivores, like the T-rex were roughly the same weight as an elephant. But if you look at the two animals side by side, it would seem the T-rex had most of its weight in its lower body, and a fairly slightly built upper body in comparison. I would think any elephant grade caliber would do just fine.

It is the large herbivores that would really need the "big guns" to take down. A triceratops is much bigger, and has all that damn bone in front of it to worry about. And the large sauropods are gargantuan. Nothing that could "easily" be carried would be enough to take one down I think.

So if we are going for what I would carry with me... I would go with the following.

-Bolt action "elephant" gun, for the big things. Something along the lines of a .458 lott perhaps. Shooting solids.

-Magazine fed semi-auto for the "medium sized" critters, and a general purpose rifle. M1a, AR-10 or FAL of some sort. Even for a Trex, dumping a magazine of .308 into the head and chest will definitely make a dent.

-12 gauge for the smaller, faster dinos. True sized raptors and whatnot.

For sidearms

-Large caliber revolver in .460 or .500sw
-Glock 20, 10mm power for the win.
-A back up to one of the other two.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:51 pm 

I am going to go with:

- suppressed, select fire MP5 10" (pistol length)
- suppressed, select fire .300 BO AR with under mounted M203
- Barrett m82A when being quiet fails them

Some really large, fast handgun, maybe .44AMP Automag if you can find one/ make one

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:06 pm 

woodsghost wrote:
I figure a pistol i useful for any lizard under a certain weight. At what point does a pistol stop being useful on alligators? 50 lbs? 100 lbs? I really don't know, but pistols will make a difference. Just not on big stuff.

I never said a pistol wouldn't be useful. But the 'extras' who pull their pistol in a dino movie will have their screen time measured in seconds. You won't see enough of the gun to make much difference.

If you want the 'cowboy' who carries his Colt SAA, it is just for the heros to find later letting them know that ranger is gone...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:29 pm 

procyon wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

I never said a pistol wouldn't be useful. But the 'extras' who pull their pistol in a dino movie will have their screen time measured in seconds. You won't see enough of the gun to make much difference.

If you want the 'cowboy' who carries his Colt SAA, it is just for the heros to find later letting them know that ranger is gone...

...or for him to make a trick shot and sever a rope holding a cage door open/detonate an explosives charge when the detonator fails.

Really, best off with M2 Bradley fighting vehicles with 25mm cannons and TOWs.
Stay buttoned up inside, roll out in groups of 4 and stay in formation. Take your time and methodically sweep the area.
Bonus points for having a few well maintained helicopters with door gunners equipped with miniguns who never get lower than 200ft off he deck.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:19 am 

LowKey wrote:
procyon wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

...or for him to make a trick shot and sever a rope holding a cage door open/detonate an explosives charge when the detonator fails.

Really, best off with M2 Bradley fighting vehicles with 25mm cannons and TOWs.
Stay buttoned up inside, roll out in groups of 4 and stay in formation. Take your time and methodically sweep the area.
Bonus points for having a few well maintained helicopters with door gunners equipped with miniguns who never get lower than 200ft off he deck.

Takes "game keeping" to a whole new level.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:54 am 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
The forum was "The High Road". The first 2 posters decided to tell me how my post was pretty much unacceptable, you can google my original post and it will probably show up, I go by the same name there.

I had a few other problems with them... like I asked about a semiauto handgun that was good with bad ammo, and they decided to lecture me on how I was "dangerous" for using lead handload bullets that were old. Its full of a bunch of grumpy old men who don't know the difference between opinion and fact and like to hijack people's threads for their own soapbox.... If you guys want a good laugh, I can share one of my replies to a guy who was a jerk. Not sure how that flies around here, bringing another forum in for entertainment

LOL...I haven't been on The High Road in over a decade, but unlike other gun friendly forums like ZS, Glocktalk, and AR15, they lack any sense of humor over there. A few guys on THR are cool and very knowledgeable about firearms, but all in all most long time members are way serious about guns and ammo, so serious they don't crack a smile, joke around, talk fantasy, or BS about anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:54 am 

Going toe to toe with dinosaurs is something I wouldn't reccomend but if you had to I'd say the

M32 6 pack grenade launcher with HEDP would make a bad day for most big critters
Mid critters would get a .458 socom AR with an under slung M320
And last but not least an AA12 because reasons!

Hand gun
.500 sw
10mm glock
Ruger GP100

And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:56 pm 

Piss on 458 SOCOM!
ARs in 450 BM loaded to their full potential
458 Win Mag bolties spitting out 500 grains at a shot.

But in on screen terms that translates to Big Bore AR with Big Fat bullets and a Big Bore bolt action with really long fat bullets. Add suppressors (psst psst) and weird optics for visual effect.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:35 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

If we are talking T-rex or other BIG carnivorous critters nothing less than a LAW/RPG-7/AT-4 backed up by a pintle mounted M-2/KVP 14.5 or better yet a 20mm or 25mm canon on a vehicle, thank you.

+1 to the helicopter with a pintle mounted M-60/MAG/Minigun and Bradley

I think a M-113 or a ferret would be easier to obtain and would work for me.

A velociraptor (in the movie any way) does not appear to be much tougher than a crocodile or alligator (just smarter). These routinely fall prey to 12 gauge shot guns or even head shots with .22lr.

An AK/AR or even a Remington 870 would work for me with these critters.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:09 pm 

I notice no one has said 'tranquilizer gun'.

I guess we all agree that waiting a hlf hour for a T-Rex to fall over all sleepy like it not a good idea.