It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:52 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

zobmiedown wrote:
Ok so earlier I was in one of my favorite gun shops here and I saw a reloaded rubber bullet. The bullet was a 38spl molded with the rubber glue from a hot glue gun no powder charge and primed with a small magnum pistol primer. The guy said he put a dent in his wooden door o his shed at 15 yards with one of them. He also said to use round nose molds only as the semi wad cutters fail to exit his barrel. He uses them to target practice on his patio. He shoots them into a box filled with terry cloth towels.

I may just have to mold a few to try myself for fun.

Sounds like a larger caliber version of those Colibri .22lr rounds Aguila used to make.

Might be a neat way to get some practice in without having to use up your stocks of factory ammo or reloads.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:37 am 

zobmiedown wrote:
I don't find issues between my ammo fired from either the a AR'S I have or the M249. fired casings seem to be identical on inspection.

Did I mention I bought some XM855 and XM193?

From Federal?

I took the from the factory rounds out of the ammo can and stripper clips.

Sure enough, that brass had at least 4 thou in runout which also caused the bullet to have runout as well, too.

Maybe all Lake City M855 and M193 factory ammo is like that.

The XM stuff had runout so bad if you stared just at the point of the bullet as the thumbwheel was spun, you could see the point wiggle up and down

The other thing I have noticed is that on some of the once fired pre-processes brass, it looks like the headstamp
Has been like bent. So the headstamp is not square to the long axis of the case.

Guns are icky!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:49 am 

Any one reloading 10mm, 38 Super, or 357 Sig? I ask because I have casings in all three of those calibers that I picked up from my shooting area and I don't load any of them or even have a firearm or a friend with one chambered for them.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:24 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

zobmiedown wrote:
Any one reloading 10mm, 38 Super, or 357 Sig? I ask because I have casings in all three of those calibers that I picked up from my shooting area and I don't load any of them or even have a firearm or a friend with one chambered for them.
Halfapint shoots 10mm. I think he reloads.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:13 am 

MPMalloy wrote:
zobmiedown wrote:
Halfapint shoots 10mm. I think he reloads.

Aye, I do do. How much you got and what are you asking?

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:08 pm 

shoot me your address in a PM and I will send it to you free of cost. Its just taking up space here and not something I will ever use so I figured I would pass it onto members here that could use it. I think there are only 10-15 10mm casings so no big deal. If you want the 38 Super and 357 sig as well let me know.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:55 pm 

I think I kinda sorta fixed my concentricty issues.

I just got back from the range. This is what my first 5 shot group looked like:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt11 ... ajmysu.jpg

100 yards, 69 SMK, from a bench and sandbags front and rear.

I will probably still buy the Lyman M die and the Redding bushing die.

Guns are icky!

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:18 pm 

zobmiedown wrote:
shoot me your address in a PM and I will send it to you free of cost. Its just taking up space here and not something I will ever use so I figured I would pass it onto members here that could use it. I think there are only 10-15 10mm casings so no big deal. If you want the 38 Super and 357 sig as well let me know.

I shoot all 3, if you run across any more.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:51 pm 

SRO1911 wrote:
zobmiedown wrote:

I shoot all 3, if you run across any more.

I didn't take anything but the 10mm, I have some 38spl, 40, and 45.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:08 am 

SRO,

Send me a PM and I will ship you the 357 Sig, and 38 Super I have at no cost. I'm just trying to clean out the extra casings I have picked up that I have no use for.

Any one else reload 45 GAP. I Just realized I have some of that too.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:59 am 

Sorry guys I have not shipped the brass yet. A buddy of mine just got out after the end of his enlistment and brought me a huge Rubbermaid tub of fired brass he had been picking up every time her went shooting so I am going thru that as I know there is some 10mm in it and not sure about the rest yet. I figured I would wait until I had finished going thru it all so I can add any of it to the casings I already have before I ship it off all at once.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:24 am 

Haven't been in this thread in a long while, and am back to apartment living. Any recommendations for a reloading bench that won't take up a ton of real estate and won't look so horrible that my wife will want to kill me?

I desperately need to start loading for my Ackley's again.

Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:05 pm 

Red_Snow wrote:
Haven't been in this thread in a long while, and am back to apartment living. Any recommendations for a reloading bench that won't take up a ton of real estate and won't look so horrible that my wife will want to kill me?

Harbor Freight sells these stands that are meant for bench grinders.

It looks like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/media/cat ... _17069.jpg

I don't know how stable it is or how heavy it is.

I think in a shop situation with a concrete floor it is supposed to get anchored to the floor.

Frankford Arsenal makes a folding reloading stand that has like folding wings .

I have been half tempted to make my own reloading bench out of those sign posts that are tubular, square in cross section, with holes every 1.5 to 2.0 inches apart on all 4 sides.... with a mating telescoping inner "tube" leg.

That way the legs can be height adjustable.

Guns are icky!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:45 pm 

Red_Snow wrote:

During my apartment stents, I found the almost perfect solution.

Hit up used furniture stores, goodwill etc - find a SOLID printer cart. They are usually 16-20 inches wide, 18-24 deep. The older the better, since those old dot matrix printers did not do well with and movement and shook like pit bulls pooping peach pits. THey also usually have fairly heavy duty casters.

Drill holes for your press in the top, neatly, and use bolts with wing nuts - this lets you pull the press quickly with minimal fuss. To make it work you stack the bottom full = a few thousand bullets and a few pounds of powder, a couple sets of dies etc. and it weighs near a ton.
When you are not reloading it is a tidy, non descript cabinet - put a lamp or plant on top.

Ready to brew up a batch, pop the press on and roll it to the couch. Netflix and press.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:54 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

SRO1911 wrote:
Red_Snow wrote:
Haven't been in this thread in a long while, and am back to apartment living. Any recommendations for a reloading bench that won't take up a ton of real estate and won't look so horrible that my wife will want to kill me? I desperately need to start loading for my Ackley's again.
During my apartment stents, I found the almost perfect solution. Hit up used furniture stores, goodwill etc - find a SOLID printer cart. They are usually 16-20 inches wide, 18-24 deep. The older the better, since those old dot matrix printers did not do well with and movement and shook like pit bulls pooping peach pits. They also usually have fairly heavy duty casters. Drill holes for your press in the top, neatly, and use bolts with wing nuts - this lets you pull the press quickly with minimal fuss. To make it work you stack the bottom full = a few thousand bullets and a few pounds of powder, a couple sets of dies etc. and it weighs near a ton. When you are not reloading it is a tidy, non descript cabinet - put a lamp or plant on top. Ready to brew up a batch, pop the press on and roll it to the couch. Netflix and press.
Cool.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:33 pm 

SRO1911 wrote:
Red_Snow wrote:

During my apartment stents, I found the almost perfect solution.

Hit up used furniture stores, goodwill etc - find a SOLID printer cart. They are usually 16-20 inches wide, 18-24 deep. The older the better, since those old dot matrix printers did not do well with and movement and shook like pit bulls pooping peach pits. THey also usually have fairly heavy duty casters.

Drill holes for your press in the top, neatly, and use bolts with wing nuts - this lets you pull the press quickly with minimal fuss. To make it work you stack the bottom full = a few thousand bullets and a few pounds of powder, a couple sets of dies etc. and it weighs near a ton.
When you are not reloading it is a tidy, non descript cabinet - put a lamp or plant on top.

Ready to brew up a batch, pop the press on and roll it to the couch. Netflix and press.

Dude........ GENIUS! I'm moving and I think this is going to be my vet set up.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:58 pm 

Even though I now have a room dedicated to press therapy, Ive still got an old portable rig handy. Sometimes its nice to get away from the bench.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:29 am 

I built a bench out of 44x posts for legs and 2x4 frame and top that was supposed to be my wife's garden bench but I re-appropriated it for reloading in the living room.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:32 pm 

zobmiedown wrote:
I built a bench out of 44x posts for legs and 2x4 frame and top that was supposed to be my wife's garden bench but I re-appropriated it for reloading in the living room.

That's what I did. I'll hopefully have room for it when I move. Mine was built from scraps, I think I need to get some. But once I figure out the house I'm buying I'll have a dedicated area to reloading. It'll be the craft room. Luckily I have a SO who loves shooting so as long as I can justify the purchases she has no problem with me reloading. I just have to split the fun money between ammo and bees to keep her happy.

I'm looking forward to being able to have a room dedicated to guns/ammo/reloading!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:40 pm 

I had my press in the garage but its so dusty out there I remove it. Without space for a bench in the house I started thinking smaller.

After making my son a Minecraft chest then copying it for my powder chest I started on a small portable ammo crafting table of similar dimensions.

First the Minecraft chest that was my inspiration

Then a smaller powder chest

Then a preview of the ammocrafting table

Its not done yet. There will be two cubes as a typical bench height was getting too heavy, so its a pair of cubes that latch together.

Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:14 am 

eugene wrote:
I had my press in the garage but its so dusty out there I remove it. Without space for a bench in the house I started thinking smaller.

After making my son a Minecraft chest then copying it for my powder chest I started on a small portable ammo crafting table of similar dimensions.

First the Minecraft chest that was my inspiration

Then a smaller powder chest

Then a preview of the ammocrafting table

Its not done yet. There will be two cubes as a typical bench height was getting too heavy, so its a pair of cubes that latch together.

Did you build that middle box yourself?

If so, those finger joints are awesome and impressive. You rock! :clap:

I bought yet another work bench off of St. Louis Craig's List. It looks like this:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt11 ... fu4kvm.jpg

And this:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt11 ... c8tfx6.jpg

I've got one top made out of 2X6's glued edge to edge in the pipe clamps still. That top is meant for another bench.

I am just getting tired of this old dresser my 650 has been mounted to.

I will probably modify the bottom drawers with metal full length drawer slides which ride on ball bearings. Then I will store my bullets in those bottom drawers.

One of the things I did with my first reloading bench (that I built at the Air Force base's woodshop), was I used a router to plow a semi-circular gutter about an inch in from the edge, on the top. It has come in quite handy because it keeps stuff from falling or rolling off the bench. It is also a good spot to place things temporarily.

Guns are icky!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:07 pm 

Yes, the finger joints I use a jig I made for my router table to make them.
These didn't turn out quite perfect, I found the cherry I have to back with scrap to prevent tearout

That little box I made from a cherry log from our family farm that I made lumber using a treadmill for a table saw extension:

Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:27 am 

Very nice!

Earlier this year I bought a used Leigh "dovetail" jig off of CL. It was actually only equipped with the finger joint jig.

And then like 2 weeks after that, I spotted another Leigh dovetail jig on CL. That one was actually complete with router bits, vacuum attachment, and instruction manual.

I haven't used either one of them yet.

:(

Typically, I think of finger joints as something done with a jig on the tablesaw.

I am going to try my hand at building boxes out of baltic birch plywood that I polyurethane'd first. Then using a large V grooving bit in a router table, make a criss cross pattern in the plywood, almost going all the way through the plywood, and then folding and gluing the sides to the top. The advantage being is that the yellow glue should be easily wipe-able from the poly'ed surface, and not stain the wood.

Anywhooo...

Back to reloading chat...I have noticed other people on other forums have been experiencing concentricity or runout issues with their .223 reloads as well.

I must be a trendsetter...or something??? :?

Guns are icky!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:06 pm 

Okay....now... I really think I fixed my concentricity issues.

A dedicated Dillon 650 toolhead with the mandrel-less RCBS X sizer die and a Lyman M die.

You can see the results here:

https://youtu.be/4LtWjzLjFx0

Guns are icky!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next