It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:50 am 

MPMalloy wrote:
Is there a problem w/"Glock'd brass"?

Yes, but it is mainly with the .40's. The chamber area or ramp area for the Glock 22's and Glock 35's is "wollered out", supposedly to aid feeding/reliability.

Here is the first pic that came up on a bing image search:
http://www.wingman26.com/images/shootin ... rass-3.jpg

Your other alternatives to dealing with that belly is a Redding GSR (or GXR???) In a single stage press. Or put in an order for a Case Pro roll sizer, wait a year, and it will finally show up on your doorstep.

Or...I think the cheapest option is to buy a Lee bullet sizing die....yeah, whatever die that would normally size whatever caliber cast lead boolits. Again, that would be a single stage operation.

Guns are icky!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:49 am 

ordered the Accuracyone/CTK precision concentricity gauge yesterday.

Also bought some XM855 and XM193, ammo cans of both.

Off today, so headed to the range. :clap:

Guns are icky!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:37 pm 

I want this. Does that make me a realoader nerd?

http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/444-X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:38 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

brothaman wrote:

I'm willing to be nerdy also.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:28 pm 

brothaman wrote:

Just curious, why would you want that? Seems over priced and a bit slow at 200rds/hr. My Lee Turret is rated at 250rds/hr and cost me about $200 with the auto powder measure and the primer attachment.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:12 am 

It's a nerd want. I've got a great single stage press. I just got a Dillon that can be made to progressive for less than this. It just looks super cool.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:25 pm 

Here are a couple of videos showing that new AccuracyOne Concentricity gauge.

First up is my reloads:

https://youtu.be/oD5PWbfuFpY

So that is about 7 to 8 thousandths of runout.

0.007 to 0.008

And then I am using some Black Hills factory ammo as like a control group:

https://youtu.be/IBD9J943mfI

Which is like 1 to 1.5 thousandths in runout ( 0.001 to 0.0015)

Of an inch (for our metric buddies)

Guns are icky!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:25 am 

So I'm finally running low on my A2460, I use it for my 223 and 308. Are there any other powders out there that you guys use for dual purpose? Something that may not be the best but will work for both? Honestly I'm pretty happy with 2460 for both. Just curious.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:22 pm 

I have a shelf full of powders, marked with best load for x - then I have a shelf full of varget.
Varget has ran well in everything I have tried including 223/556 gas and bolt, 308/7.62 nato gas, roller, bolt, 7mm08 bolt, 6mmBR bolt, 243 bolt, 260rem gas, and several others. While its only "best" in 2 of those (6mmbr with 70gr ballistic tip and 308 with 168 amax) it is generally good enough across the board.
I load my bulk 308 with it for my rollers, just a nice mid level load with bulk pulldown bullets. Its not supermatch ammo at all BUT it works minute of paper plate in every single 308 I have including my gassers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:42 am 

I was using Varget at first for .223, but I was using a Dillon 650. The Varget powder kernels are extruded, so they are like tiny pieces of rice. It made the Dillon powder measure very crunchy.

Then I discovered H335. That stuff meters like water. It is like that fine sand that flows through an "hourglass".

I haven't stepped back up to a .308. When I do, I'll be looking for powder of the same size or same shape as H335.

Extruded powders = :(

Guns are icky!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:56 am 

I figured out my bullet runout issues.

:clap:

:mrgreen:

It is not my Dillon 650 press, but rather the pre-processed brass I was buying.

I took a few empty cases straight from the brass processors packaging last night. I bumped the dial indicator over so the "stylus" was touching the outside of the case necks. Sure enough, the case necks were running out the same 8 thousandths.

I have a dedicated toolhead with just the RCBS X-sizer die in it. The X die uses a mandrel in it instead of an expander ball. I took those same cases back to the concentricity gauge after I X-die'ed them. The runout went to 2 thou or less.

My best guess is that my brass processor was using his automated 1050 to resize, trim, and decrimp the once fired Lake City brass he was buying via government liquidation auctions. After trimming them, the case gets pushed up into another die and the case mouth gets pulled over an expander ball.

It is this pulling over the expander ball which pulls the case neck out of round.

Guns are icky!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:39 pm 

Yeah I'm not a fan of extruded, I got 2460 because it's ball powder, very fine. It nesters like a champ my lee auto measure on my turret press will throw a measure .01+\- of where I want it.

I'm open for other options but like chills I prefer those nice little fine grain powders

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:00 am 

I've been liking CFE223. I'm loading 6.5 grendel, 30-30, 308, and light bullets in 270 with it. It meters well. It's my new favorite power in the 30-30 and the 6.5G. Both seem to like max capacity loads. I haven't done any 223 yet, but I've read nothing but good things. I've only done one round of loading for the 308, but results were good. In my 270, it needs a little work. I was hoping to drop a grain from max and it would all be gold. No dice. I still haven't figured that rifle's preferred COAL for 110 GR soft points yet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:51 pm 

brothaman wrote:

I want one too. I have two older models with the single die. One was my Dad's, the other was an ebay purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:50 am 

I'm rather excited I get to go coyote hunting next wed-fri. A lady had her entire fowl flock killed in a single night. In the state of Washington to protect their livestock we can hunt them no limits.
In preparation I went and got some Barns Varmintator 40gr bullets for the 223. I'm using 27gr of 2460 with a COL of 1.90.

Will hopefully have time to set up the 100yd range at he place and test a few out. These are going to be the lightest and fastest bullets I've shit out of it. I'll have standard loads as well, but really wanted to get some true varmint bullets made.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:31 am 

about my bullet concentricity issues...

I had a few spare Dillon 650 toolheads around.

I put an RCBS X sizer die in it. I thought I had enough lube on my cases. The third case in, I got it stuck. So I used a 1/4" X 20 tap, a bolt, a fender washer, an 18mm deep well socket, and a wrench to get the case out.

It was like Murphy's Law was in full effect.

When I drilled through the primer flashhole, the drill bit grabbed, and pulled down into the case, totally wrecking the decapping rod assembly.

Then when I went to tap that hole, the tip of the tap broke off.

:x

I did finally get the case out of the die.

I ended up buying 3 extra taps and their matching drill bits, and a tap wrench just to have spares on hand.

So I pulled the decapping rod assembly out of the die. I don't really need it because the brass I bought had already been deprimed.

Then I found some liquid lanolin and got the 99% isopropyl alcohol from IsoHeet gasoline treatment in order to make my own case lube.

Soooo...I have stuck about 3 or 4 more cases in this same die, but I think I finally got it figured out as far as how low down on the case it should size and the appropriate amount of case lube.

My supposedly pre-processed brass went from a runout of about 8 thousandths down to just 1 thousandth right at the case mouth.

Now, I only have about 990 more pieces to "straighten".

:(

Guns are icky!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:36 am 

chills1994 wrote:
Then I found some liquid lanolin and got the 99% isopropyl alcohol from IsoHeet gasoline treatment in order to make my own case lube.

My supposedly pre-processed brass went from a runout of about 8 thousandths down to just 1 thousandth right at the case mouth.

Now, I only have about 990 more pieces to "straighten".

For case lube I've just used my gun oil. I have a box that I put the brass in then spray some oil in there and spray some on my hands and make sure every case gets a good coat. I've yet to get a case stuck that way. YMMV.

as for the preprocessed brass, I bout 2k 10mm brass and found that even it needed to be resized. I bought starline, but it says on the box it needs to be thoroughly processed. I found that out about 1800 pieces in.

I made some varmint rounds for coyote hunting, need to go get them sighted in, I'm hoping I don't have these concentricy issues like you're having. I measured out every single grain, tried to find brass within .03 of the same weight, and had the bullets set to within +/- .01. and I did what you said you remembered reading I set them about 4 times rotating each time. So hopefully this weekend I can get these fired off and see what I get.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:14 pm 

I tried some Kroil on my fingers to wipe on one case.

That didn't work out too well.

In theory, if you have a piece of plate glass, you can roll your reloaded rifle ammo down it, and listen to determine if it is out of concentricity:

https://youtu.be/bf57NMFYoVw

I am kinda wondering now....is this processed brass I am using out of concentric because of the automated 1050 used to process it???

Or was the brass shot through an M249 SAW machine gun, and the ejection and or delinking process wreaks havoc on the brass.

EDIT: on the upside even my wildly out of concentric reloads still grouped better than XM855 and XM193. And runing some of the fresh out of the box XM ammo through my concentricity gauge showed that the XM stuff had like 4 thousandths plus in runout.

I did buy a fluorescent light grid to organize my soon to be resized and weighed brass.

Guns are icky!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:28 pm 

So with that said....even if your reloaded ammo were to group 2 MOA at 100 yards, if it stayed consistent, it would still group 4 inches at 200, 6 inches at 300 yards, 8 inches at 400 yards, and so on and so on.

What is the chest "width" on a coyote?

Maybe 12 inches?

If you know the drop at the various ranges and can DOPE the wind, you should be able to make hits with confidence.

I think the 3 gun competitors like to see 4MOA sized targets for say the MGM flasher targets. And they are getting hits on those targets at 300 yards while under the pressure of time.

Guns are icky!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:35 pm 

You make some very good points. I'll have to check and see what I can get with the glass trick. The thing with where we are hunting, we couldn't get 100yrd shot even on the best area. It's heavily wooded and not a lot of open area.

I tested some factory 40gr varmint rounds it was about 75yards, the mark I was shooting at was about 1.5 in diameter of 5 shots 4 were within the circle probably within an inch and one was a flier. I didn't get to test mine because I left the mags in the car and didn't want to hike back to grab them. But this week I'll test them and see what I can get.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:45 am 

So something that I've always dealt with but never cared about until trying to make some precision rounds are my COL. I get that you're going to have a bit of variation. However I processed all these brass the proper way, they are all the EXACT SAME. But I'm still getting a huge variation on COL. I'm talking if I set it up for 2.00" I'll get generally get some that are 2.06 to 1.94..... Occasionally I'll get a flier that'll be 2.11 or 1.89 or something like that. I pull them and they are the exact same length that I cut them, I reset the bullet and It's the same.

Is there something that I really don't understand? Something I'm missing?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:31 pm 

I don't find issues between my ammo fired from either the a AR'S I have or the M249. fired casings seem to be identical on inspection.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:50 pm 

Ok so earlier I was in one of my favorite gun shops here and I saw a reloaded rubber bullet. The bullet was a 38spl molded with the rubber glue from a hot glue gun no powder charge and primed with a small magnum pistol primer. The guy said he put a dent in his wooden door o his shed at 15 yards with one of them. He also said to use round nose molds only as the semi wad cutters fail to exit his barrel. He uses them to target practice on his patio. He shoots them into a box filled with terry cloth towels.

I may just have to mold a few to try myself for fun.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

zobmiedown wrote:
Ok so earlier I was in one of my favorite gun shops here and I saw a reloaded rubber bullet. The bullet was a 38spl molded with the rubber glue from a hot glue gun no powder charge and primed with a small magnum pistol primer. The guy said he put a dent in his wooden door o his shed at 15 yards with one of them. He also said to use round nose molds only as the semi wad cutters fail to exit his barrel. He uses them to target practice on his patio. He shoots them into a box filled with terry cloth towels.

I may just have to mold a few to try myself for fun.
Interesting. I definitely want to know how it works out.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next