It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:18 pm 

Thanks Doc. The instructor said what you said. I phrased it wrong. I was unclear.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:34 pm 

Well I have not been on here in quite a while. Since running out of casings to load last Feb I have acquired quite a few more to keep me entertained. I made a habit of going down the street once a week where everyone shoots around here and picked up every reloadable brass casing I could find. I also found a new gun store here in town that just opened that sells fired brass that has been cleaned and resized for 308 at $15.00 per one hundred so I pichked up 500 for shits and giggles.

In the last couple of months I reloaded 312 rounds of 308 with 180 grain SST and 200 rounds using 200 grain ELD-X for zeroing and taking on the upcoming elk hunt.

I also loaded 375 round of 38 Spl with 158 grain hard cast lead from SNS, 250 rounds of 300 BO with 150 Grain FMJSP, and 1920 rounds of 223 with 55 grain FMJBT bulk boxes from midway. I was all set to start loading 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP (I have a plastic shoe box of each that are completely full)when I walked into one of the gun stores in town that had once fired cleaned primer pocket swaged and resized at $10.00 per 100 rounds by the local chapter of the Military Order of the Purple Heart by one of their members with all proceeds going to the local chapter for their various charity projects. So I had to pick up the four vacuum sealed bags they had on hand as every penny went to a great cause. I think every time I am in town near the store I picked these up at I will pick up some more to support the organization and keep my daughters AR fed a full diet for her. Well that and I am seriously looking at a semi auto M294 that is a couple of hours from me just because I can at this point and its near both Bass Pro and Cabellas which we don not have either down in Southern AZ not even in Tucson at which tie I will probably pick up a few cases of 223 factory loads while I am up there.

As far as reloading manuals go I have the Hornady 9th (go to 1st), Lee 2nd, Speer 14th, Nosler 2nd, And Lyman 49th. I find the Speer and Nosler to be the least helpful as they contain only limited data for each round and usually none of the powders I can get locally on a regular basis.

For 223 powders my go to is H335 and IMR 3031 as they are usually on store shelves in my AO with CFE223 now making a large presence as well. I have not tried the CFE223 as of yet though.

For 223 bullets I stick with cheep bulk 55 grain FMJBT which midway has for decent prices per 1000.

For 300BO I only use H110 as the powder as it is the only one any of my manuals have load data for that I can find in quantity in my AO.

Pistol calibers I stick with HS-6 and titegroup for the same in my AO availability reasons.

Lately Varget has been my choice for 308 as it has recently appeared in quantity here and can do 223 if I run out of the other choices I use for that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:33 am 

In different news there are three less elk in AZ as of earlier this week. Two were taken with my DPMS Oracle LR-308 at 300 meters with a bushnell TRS-25 red dot and a Primary Arms 3x Magnifier and using my 185gr reloads. Hanging weights on all three were 260lbs, 261lbs and 289lbs. My wife is working on cleaning out freezers to make room for them when the processer is done with them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:54 pm 

Anyone reload 300BO? I got some (1000) 125gr nosler for myself for xmas. However when I went to do some loads they will NOT set. they seem to be going in at an angle. its bulging the neck and making them jam. I'm currently using a RCBS 300BO die, I just bought a lyman but haven't tried it yet.

I've made 220gr subs, 180, 150 all with little issue. But these 125's I cannot get them to work at all. Any thoughts?

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:34 am 

Halfapint wrote:
Anyone reload 300BO? I got some (1000) 125gr nosler for myself for xmas. However when I went to do some loads they will NOT set. they seem to be going in at an angle. its bulging the neck and making them jam. I'm currently using a RCBS 300BO die, I just bought a lyman but haven't tried it yet.

I've made 220gr subs, 180, 150 all with little issue. But these 125's I cannot get them to work at all. Any thoughts?

I've loaded a several boxes of those in 30-30 and 30-06 with no issues. Those have a beveled base. They should be easy to load. Are you chamfering the case mouth? are you able to load by slowly seating the bullet little by little? are you full length sizing?

Last edited by brothaman on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:35 pm 

brothaman wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

I've loaded a several boxes of those in 30-30 and 30-06 with no issues. Those have a beveled base. They should be easy to load. Are you chamfering the case mouth? are you able to load by slowly seating the bullet little by little? are up fill length sizing?

So I finally figured it out. I thought I was putting to much powder in and it was bulging. But after looking there was still room in the cartridge. I finally went through and decapped, resized, debured, and finally put them through the 300bo due to make sure the neck is proper.

It then worked. Slide in like butter and have a perfect crimp on them. Not sure exactly why but it worked. Only the 125gr bullets need that.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:38 am 

Halfapint wrote:
brothaman wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

I've loaded a several boxes of those in 30-30 and 30-06 with no issues. Those have a beveled base. They should be easy to load. Are you chamfering the case mouth? are you able to load by slowly seating the bullet little by little? are up fill length sizing?

So I finally figured it out. I thought I was putting to much powder in and it was bulging. But after looking there was still room in the cartridge. I finally went through and decapped, resized, debured, and finally put them through the 300bo due to make sure the neck is proper.

It then worked. Slide in like butter and have a perfect crimp on them. Not sure exactly why but it worked. Only the 125gr bullets need that.

1/2pt, Once I was reloading 22-250. I loaded like 60 rds. I couldn't make them chamber in the gun. Had no idea what the issue was. I pulled the dies and cleaned them, setup up everything fresh and started again. Still no dice. I worked for like an hour. Couldn't figure it out and I quit. Came back to it two days later and setup fresh again. Perfect. Couldn't figure it out and then it dawned on me. For some stupid reason I was running the Sizer back up a 1/4 turn instead of down a 1/4 after running it down to touch the shell holder. I was causing a slight case bulge by not sizing full length. Why the hell I was doing that is anybody's guess, but I did three time while reciting the steps out loud. Sometimes we get retarded for no reason.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:32 pm 

I had the same issue with some 308 rounds my buddy helped me load. Turns out he was not doing a full resize so they would not chamber in my HOWA 1500 game king. I was able to remove the de-priming rod/resizer, lube up the casings and do a full resize. They worked fine after that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:39 pm 

About two weeks ago I bought a rotary rock tumbler and stainless steel media. The tumbler has two 3lb drums. I have been running it nonstop since. The brass comes out looking like factory new unfired inside and out.. Media casings water and dish soap is the formula. I dry the casings after they get thoroughly rinsed when they come out of the tumble in a cheep Wal-Mart food dehydrator which takes less than two hours. My three vibratory tumbles have been relegated to just doing a quick clean of dirt off the casings before I de-prime them.

I used to do a first cleaning with the vibratory tumbles to rid them of dirt then de-prime, resize, and a final longer tumble in the vibratory tumbler (used one for pre-cleaning and two for a final longer tumble). and then ran them all thru the hornady sonic cleaner and laid them out on towels on old cookie sheets. That process didn't even come close to getting the casings as clean as the wet tumble in the rotary tumbler.

Not sure why it took me so long to remember I had the food dehydrator for speeding up the drying process but the light just came on two weeks ago in my head after using the old process for the last three years. so I thought I would share the info for anyone looking for a better process for cleaning casing back o just like new.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:11 pm 

Interesting, I used a 3 step vibratory cleaning. First just to clean, the media is pretty nasty but that's fine. Then deprime, resize, out in the second media which is untreated media. Then the final is a treated medai, all kinds of polish, they come out brighter than factory. The last thing I do is put them in a microfiber car shammy and tumble them for a minute. They come out brighter than factory. However the insides are not as shiny but that's ok.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:20 am 

Doing the wet tumble in the rock tumbler has the insides of the casing just as shinny as the outside. In other new I purchased a RCBS 1500 charge master powder dispenser/digital scale. Wow does that make a difference. Previously I was measuring every load on a Hornady digital scale. With the RCBS I just punch in the desired weight and it pours it for me. when it done measuring it beeps. I pour the powder into the casing and as soon as you put the little pan back on the scale it starts measuring the next load. I have done just over 3000 .223 loads with the RCBS in the last week. The ease of the RCBS just changed my whole loading game as I now don't dread measuring the powder.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:51 pm 

zobmiedown wrote:
Doing the wet tumble in the rock tumbler has the insides of the casing just as shinny as the outside. In other new I purchased a RCBS 1500 charge master powder dispenser/digital scale. Wow does that make a difference. Previously I was measuring every load on a Hornady digital scale. With the RCBS I just punch in the desired weight and it pours it for me. when it done measuring it beeps. I pour the powder into the casing and as soon as you put the little pan back on the scale it starts measuring the next load. I have done just over 3000 .223 loads with the RCBS in the last week. The ease of the RCBS just changed my whole loading game as I now don't dread measuring the powder.

I'm familiar with that in only seeing it at the store, it sure looks nice and is probably quite handy. I've become a HUGE believer in the Lee powder measure. For 30$ you can tune it to pour within about .1gr. That changed my rolaoding game, much like you state. I bought 3 one for each of my powders, my gf and I will sit and just fill powder into casings when we are bored. I've made about 1000 9mm in the last week. I made so much I ran out of bullets. And of course Sportsmens warehouse has been out of 9mm for the last week. But yeah. Powder measures are worth every dollar invested.

On a different note, who likes what dies? I have found that I LOVE lee dies. I had some Hornady, RCBS and another. I've replaced ALL my dies with Lee dies. Dunno what it is about them, they just seem the easiest to use, and give a damn reliable crimp, etc. anyone have a similar situation? Have you tried others and just rely on a single brand?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:33 am 

The Lee Perfect Powder Measure is a great place to start, I used one for years, but I highly recommend you start saving your pennies and get their Classic powder measure. It's cast iron and brass instead of all plastic, is easier to adjust, and has a longer lever arm to make for easier powder throws. Plus, the exposed brass gives it a steampunk vibe that appeals to me. :crazy:

I agree about the Lee dies, I have several. I've especially been on a .45 Colt jag recently including casting my own bullets (230, 255 and 300 grains) and making shotshells (180 grains of #8). Fun stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:10 am 

I have dies from Lee, Dillion, RCBS, and Hornady. I don't really think I have a favorite. Yes the lees are easy to work with and All of my crimp dies are lee as well as my universal de-priming die. Now that I think about it almost all of my rifle dies are RCBS and the majority of my pistol dies are lee for no particular reason other than that seems to be how they are most available in my area. The only dies I specifically shopped for by brand are the Hornady ones as at the time they were giving out free bullets with the purchase of a set of dies.

In other news with the aid of the RCBS powder measure I have been able to load over 3500 rounds of .233 in the last seven days. I still have quite a bit more casings primed in that caliber to finish and then its on to either 308 Win 0r 300 BO. I am not sure which one of those two I am going to tackle next yet. My priority is rifle calibers first and then on to the mountains of pistol brass I have primed and ready to load as well. At some point I need to start molding bullets for the pistol calibers that I need to get caught up on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:59 pm 

I just got a Dillion AT500 press. Its one that can be upgraded to the 550 progressive. I'm pretty stoked about that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:09 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

brothaman wrote:
I just got a Dillion AT500 press. Its one that can be upgraded to the 550 progressive. I'm pretty stoked about that.

Congrats! I was a Rockchucker man, but Dillion make a good press.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:15 am 

I rock the RCII. My Rock Chucka ain't going no where.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:40 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

RC :awesome:

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:13 pm 

So I finally decided to get a better press. Amazon had the Lee Turret Press for $100, for that why the hell not. Got it yesterday took me about 3 minutes to set it up and all I can say is WOW! I'm not sure how much faster it is, but not having to do double or triple work is quite nice. Ordered and adaptor so I can put my Lee PPM on my handgun drop through, and the priming adaptor, those will really speed up reloading times!

Now to rig some sort of foot controlled motor so I can stop pulling the lever all the damn time!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:09 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Halfapint wrote:
Now to rig some sort of foot controlled motor so I can stop pulling the lever all the damn time!
:clap:

Congrats! I am sure that you will have faster times that I did with my single stage.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

Last edited by MPMalloy on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:34 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
:clap:

Congrats! I am sure that you will faster times that I did with my single stage.

Spend the $100 on amazon, and get this thing, even alone it's faster than a single stage. I think I spent $60 additional and got 3 of the die holders, an adaptor to connect my Lee PPM, and the priming adaptor. Not to shabby.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:58 am 

For pistol reloading (9mm, .40, and .45ACP), I have 3 separate dedicated toolheads for my Dillon 650. Each of those toolheads are set up exactly the same. Station #1 is an Evolution Gun Works/Lee Undersize die. Station #2 is the proprietary Dillon powder through/powder funnel/case mouth belling die. Station #3 is actually empty. I have a flashlight zip tied to the Dillon powder measure that shines through that open hole. It makes it easier for me to actually see that the case has the right amount of powder. Station #4 is a Redding Micrometer Adjustable bullet seating die. The the last station is a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Back before I got the EGW/Lee undersize die, I would have to case gauge every round of ammunition. It was a slow PITA process. Now, with both the U-die and the Lee FCD, I will only case gauge the first 5 to 10 rounds off the press at the start of a reloading session.

Back before 2012, I was shooting a USPSA, IDPA, and/or a steel plate match every weekend. With all the brass I was scrounging up after the matches, it was unavoidable that I would be picking up Glock'ed brass....with the most noticeable ones being the .40's shot from Glock 22's and Glock 35's.

The U-die gets a little lower down on the case to iron out those Glock or guppy bellies.

Guns are icky!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:03 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Is there a problem w/"Glock'd brass"?

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:42 am 

Over at AR15.com, I stumbled across the "One MOA all day" challenge. There are some rules to it, and they would like for people to use their target, which looks like this:

It is 5 shots on each of the 5 bolt face logos. Then each group is measured. They are added up and averaged, and that is supposed to be less than 1 MOA (1 inch basically at 100 yards).

So I tried shooting it, and I wasn't getting the results I wanted. I actually bought a new more powerful Leupold scope thinking that would help.

Nope, not really.

So I started thinking it was a problem with my reloads. In a previous life, I had worked as a millwright setting up or retrofitting steam turbines in coal fired and nuclear powered electricity generating plants. For things to work right, the rotor has to be concentric to the rest of the turbine. There are certain clearances that have to be met when you have say 36,000 pounds spinning at 1,800 RPMs.

I had also bought the G. David Tubb reloading video on VHS videotape back in the mid 1990's, and remember him saying something about concentricity. He would actually run his ammo up into the seating die 3 times, rotating it about 60 degrees each time.

Soooo....a light bulb kicked on, and I started wondering if my bullets were concentric. I balked at the price of the commercially available concentricity gauges. To me, the best ones are from 21st Century Reloading and AccuracyOne. Cha ching!

I looked on Craig's List for dial indicators and magnetic bases for sale. I found a retired machinist selling off his tools. I bought a Starret dial indicator, a Total Indicated Runout indicator (a.k.a.TIR) and two magnetic bases off him.

Then I made my own concentricity gauge out of a small block of steel and 3/8ths diameter slingshot ammo. I would have prefered the ball part of ball bearings, but I think this is close enough.

I took some video last night:

Bullet runout:

https://youtu.be/Pm64y4T0BWE

Case neck runout:

https://youtu.be/SucQCU_UtrI

Case runout at the shoulder:

https://youtu.be/dzllEcPVB4o

The only factory ammo I had on hand was some Black Hills 55 grainers.

The one Black Hills round I tried in my homemade gauge had like half the bullet runout or better.

I might try reseating my bullets again, rotating the round each time like G. David Tubb suggests in his video. That video in its entirety is actually posted up on YouTube now:

https://youtu.be/NUnrYp0NH38

I think it is broken down into 2 parts. Maybe about 4 hours total.

If you don't know who he is, you should google him.

By the way, my ammo up above in my videos is .223 . The same round was used for all 3 vids.

Guns are icky!

Last edited by chills1994 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next