Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

Post by MPMalloy » Sat May 26, 2018 7:19 pm

taipan821 wrote:Another question, regarding headspace gauges.

worth it? I'm not being picky at the moment about case dimensions, just wanting to make sure the case will load
I have always heard that headspacing is important.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun May 27, 2018 11:07 am

worth it? I'm not being picky at the moment about case dimensions, just wanting to make sure the case will load
I'm not exactly clear on what it is (honestly) I resize all my cases, and inspect them carefully to see if anything is bulging or if there's cracks/etc. I've not yet come across a case that's showing signs of head space issues.
NapalmMan67 wrote:What do you consider bulk? Some vendors classify 100-500 bulk, others 1000+. Anyway...

Rocky Mountain Reloading, Missouri Bullet, Extreme Bullet, Everglades Ammo, Berrys, Mid South Shooters, Natchez, Montana Gold etc...

FWIW- I've been shooting the HiTek coated bullets from Missouri in both 9mm and 45, and they are great. Much easier to load than plated, but maybe that's just me.
Bulk is 1000+ for me. MP actually pointed out that some of the auction sites have bulk ammo for sale, so I've been looking through them to see what I can find. Thanks for the list! I'll check them out as well
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

NapalmMan67

Post by NapalmMan67 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Halfapint wrote:

I'm not exactly clear on what it is (honestly) I resize all my cases, and inspect them carefully to see if anything is bulging or if there's cracks/etc. I've not yet come across a case that's showing signs of head space issues.
NapalmMan67 wrote:What do you consider bulk? Some vendors classify 100-500 bulk, others 1000+. Anyway...

Rocky Mountain Reloading, Missouri Bullet, Extreme Bullet, Everglades Ammo, Berrys, Mid South Shooters, Natchez, Montana Gold etc...

FWIW- I've been shooting the HiTek coated bullets from Missouri in both 9mm and 45, and they are great. Much easier to load than plated, but maybe that's just me.
Bulk is 1000+ for me. MP actually pointed out that some of the auction sites have bulk ammo for sale, so I've been looking through them to see what I can find. Thanks for the list! I'll check them out as well
8-)

For therapy I ran my 650XL after installing a few upgrade items and loaded 100/mol rounds of .45ACP. The press ran slicker than goose shit on wet grass.

Always have a buddy and a backup plan!

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:07 pm

For a swaying single stage press get the Lee classic cast. Much stronger than the C press and not that much more.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:10 pm

Just putting this out there... a good electronic auto charge/scale will make your reloading more enjoyable and easier for less money than a good progressive press. Just sayin'. Metering powder is a bitch. Metering extruded powder is a bigger bitch. The 'lectro charge/scale is sooooo choice. Charge is ready, waiting, and accurate by the time I seat a primer. Pour powder, set the pan down, seat the next primer and ,.. damn. Just like frickin' magic there's a perfectly metered charge waiting right there.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:13 am

I'm putting my casting production on steroids in the near future. Just a teaser post to get the ol' blood flowing.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:26 pm

well, an update.

Just put together 100 rounds, cci primers, 25 grains AR2206, 50 grain Zmax. waiting for a chance to go to the range to test them out
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

eugene

Post by eugene » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:14 pm

I finally got to test some tree fiddy seven loads. I couldn't get the chronometer to communicate with my phone so I recorded each test and wrote down each shot.
[YouTube]https://youtu.be/ADClPKwqous[/YouTube]
Creek made too much noise to hear me.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:59 am

Just received my primers & powder from Graphs. Going to start on 3" .410 buckshot loads. Still need a roll crimper.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:04 am

The Lee loader for .410 I just received is 30+ years old but works great. I de-capped all of my Super X hulls yesterday and started priming them.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:38 am

Man with all the work on the property I haven't had the down time to reload. I'm up to a 5gallon buck full of spent 9mm, and about half a bucket of both 308 and 223. My roommate has been on a reloading spree however, he's loaded about 400 .270's for hunting season and weekly practice before hunting.

On a side note, he and I did load some ELD-X bullets for his .270 and my .308. Neither of us could get these things sighted in. With my 150's at 300 yds I'm shooting about 2MOA groups, he shoots about 4-5MOA. With the ELD-X I couldn't even get 1 MOA at 100yds, my buddy couldn't even get on paper half the time. I think I figured out his issue, he's got an older Model70 I believe it's a 1-12 twist, he's been shooting heavy bullets, I don't think the bullets are stabilizing and are going crazy. I'm having him drop down to 130gr bullets, hopefully those will stabilize better and not go all over. I've got a faster twist of 1-10 and I've shot 220gr bullets with no issues, the ELD-X's I think were 178gr, so not sure what my issue was.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”