Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Press therapy - reloading room *chat*

Post by Halfapint » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Finally among the true reloaders! Got a used Hornady LnL AP. Paid $200 for it, with one plate (10mm) and Lee (my favorite) 9mm dies. Set it up, got it adjusted and this thing cranks out the cartridges! The other night I did 500 5.56 in less than 2 hours including primer refills. Still use my turret press for small batch stuff just to test how it goes, but hot damn.

Next I'll be seeing how my concentricity goes. I'm going through and cutting my cases to a size I like, sizing the necks, champhering (sp), pocket reaming, and cleaning the primer pocket. I hope everything is proper. The last batch I cycled ran great, at 50yds the new gun and ammo were tack drivers. 5 round groups under a quarter.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Halfapint wrote:Finally among the true reloaders! Got a used Hornady LnL AP. Paid $200 for it, with one plate (10mm) and Lee (my favorite) 9mm dies. Set it up, got it adjusted and this thing cranks out the cartridges! The other night I did 500 5.56 in less than 2 hours including primer refills. Still use my turret press for small batch stuff just to test how it goes, but hot damn.

Next I'll be seeing how my concentricity goes. I'm going through and cutting my cases to a size I like, sizing the necks, champhering (sp), pocket reaming, and cleaning the primer pocket. I hope everything is proper. The last batch I cycled ran great, at 50yds the new gun and ammo were tack drivers. 5 round groups under a quarter.
:clap:

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:09 am

So ever since I've been reloading I've had MAJOR issues with my cartridges. It's mostly getting jammed in battery. To the point where I had to use a table or something to force the charging handle. Well I FINALLY figured it out, I haven't been resizing the necks far enough. I'm an idiot, I've looked, I've inspected, but never realized that it's only half way down. So I'm now in the process of resizing every single reload I've never made.

On that note, the Hornady camlock puller is absolutely amazing!

Lastly, I hate being wrong (see above, I'm an idiot). But I've been buying A1680 powder because when I started 300bo I read that it's the best. Well it's a great powder, it's fenominial for subsonic. But for supersonic, h110 can pull nearly 300fps more out of 110gr sirrea HP. It can also be found when A1680 can't.

Sorry for the long post (looked a lot longer on my phone), but damn I like learning!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:44 pm

Instead of pulling, you might consider the law factory crimp die, it basically resizes the loaded case.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:49 am

SRO1911 wrote:Instead of pulling, you might consider the law factory crimp die, it basically resizes the loaded case.
Law factory crimp die?? Or Lee? Can't find anything about a Law crimp die.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:41 pm

Im sorry, Lee.
Voice typing at 85mph isn't conducive to clear communication.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:19 am

SRO1911 wrote:Im sorry, Lee.
Voice typing at 85mph isn't conducive to clear communication.
Quite alright! Really? Can use use the Lee crimp die to fix them? I've used lee dies and the crimp on them, they still jam. It easing until I sat the decap/resize all the way down to so it gets about 80-85% of the next that I stopped having issues. I don't want to over crimp them, might have to much pressure then.

I'd he interested in learning more.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:42 pm

I was thinking of the Lee Carbide Factory crimp die, which resizes the loaded round as it crimps, however it does not appear to be available for 300bo. The other option is a redding small base bushing die. This is a resizing die with a bushing to allow custom neck tension/sizing. You could use it by removing the bushing and decap assembly - anything other than a bushing die will oversqueeze the neck of the case, possibly ruining both the case and the bullet.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:27 pm

SRO1911 wrote:I was thinking of the Lee Carbide Factory crimp die, which resizes the loaded round as it crimps, however it does not appear to be available for 300bo. The other option is a redding small base bushing die. This is a resizing die with a bushing to allow custom neck tension/sizing. You could use it by removing the bushing and decap assembly - anything other than a bushing die will oversqueeze the neck of the case, possibly ruining both the case and the bullet.
It's actually my 223, I have the Lee carbide factory crimp die (300bo actually comes with one as well). I'll see if getting a better crimp on them helps. I'd prefer not to pull because I have a feeling all the ones I did on my turret press are not up to par. The ones I've made with my progressive are much better.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:55 pm

Once you go RCBS, you don't go back. :D

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:54 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Once you go RCBS, you don't go back. :D
I have 2 set of RCBS, and honestly, I prefer Lee. They are cheaper and I like the way they adjust and how they are designed. I switched over to an all Lee die set, couldn't be happier!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Halfapint wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:Once you go RCBS, you don't go back. :D
I have 2 set of RCBS, and honestly, I prefer Lee. They are cheaper and I like the way they adjust and how they are designed. I switched over to an all Lee die set, couldn't be happier!
Lee dies are what I used when I reloaded. They are what I have now. Lee makes a good die.

Everything else was RCBS.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:06 am

It's not more crimp you are looking for, you just want to squeeze the body a hair, where your short set full length sizer did not hit.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:36 pm

finally figured out what was wrong with my 5.56. It wasn't the necks as I originally thought. When I bought my dies, I thought that Lee's were small base dies. Well.... They aren't. I spent the last month taking apart, all of my reloads (about 5000 in total), sending them through an RCBS small base die, then decided to cut every single one to size, decided on 1.753 as my length anything shorter would be converted to 300bo. So I now have about 4000 5.56, and 1000 or so new 300bo. And boy, when you do the proper prep work, its amazing how well these shoot!

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:36 am

What's everyone using for a scale these days? I need something new, my cheap Hornady scale doesn't tare properly anymore.

Prefer something small and battery powered, but a 110V wouldn't be the end of the world.

Who's using what?
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:39 pm

BullOnParade wrote:What's everyone using for a scale these days? I need something new, my cheap Hornady scale doesn't tare properly anymore.

Prefer something small and battery powered, but a 110V wouldn't be the end of the world.

Who's using what?
If you'll consider mechanical scales, I use an RCBS M500 beam balance. It's slower than an electronic; but reasonably inexpensive, very repeatable and precise, and beam balances are sturdy things. Dad's had one for 30-ish years and it still works perfectly.

NapalmMan67

Post by NapalmMan67 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:27 pm

RCBS 502 here, as it's repeatable and reliable, with no power source to worry about. I'm old and like mundane things though, never used a digital.
Always have a buddy and a backup plan!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:40 pm

I just use the small hornady scale. Not sure what one, it was the cheapest one at the store, its lasted 3 years so far and has done well by me.

hiropro

Post by hiropro » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:49 pm

https://youtu.be/fH49AmIdDn4
Just excited wanted to share the new ammobot
I got working.
ammo the real currency of the world
http://hirosstorageunit.blogspot.com

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:19 pm

I'm a complete newbie to reloading, currently cleaning my brass the old fashion way...brasso and a drill.
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:07 pm

PLEASE for the love of all that is holy, don't use brasso - or most any other commercial brass cleaner. Brasso gets its shine because it uses ammonia to literally eat away the oxidation layer....and a bit of the brass underneath.
If you want to hand polish, I would suggest NevR Dull from eagle one. Its like cotton batting soaked in a mild solvent, works great and a can will last years.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:40 pm

SRO1911 wrote:PLEASE for the love of all that is holy, don't use brasso - or most any other commercial brass cleaner. Brasso gets its shine because it uses ammonia to literally eat away the oxidation layer....and a bit of the brass underneath.
If you want to hand polish, I would suggest NevR Dull from eagle one. Its like cotton batting soaked in a mild solvent, works great and a can will last years.
Thanks for the heads up, any other suggestions to get started reloading?

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:28 am

taipan821 wrote:Thanks for the heads up, any other suggestions to get started reloading?
Get a press and get to work!

I’ve been reloading for a few years. I followed the directions and still took me until about 4 months ago to truely be confident and feel I am producing quality ammo. If you are getting started the bare minimum I would suggest is:

Press
Vibratory cleaner
Case length cutter

Everyone says start out with a single stage press, it’s what I did. It works, but, If you’re truely looking to reload go a step up to a turret. It’s going to be a lot faster and costs you minimally more.

Vibratory cleaner because they are cheap and the media is cheap

Case length cutter because your brass is going to be inconsistent and when you reload having consistent brass means you have consistent shots.

You’ll need a bunch of small stuff like the chamfer, primer pocket reamer, dies (DUH), case lube, and other things that you’ll piece together.

But before everything you should stop and ask “so I want to spend thousands (because you will) to make hundreds of dollars worth of ammo” :rofl:

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:45 am

Halfapint wrote: But before everything you should stop and ask “so I want to spend thousands (because you will) to make hundreds of dollars worth of ammo” :rofl:
because the ammo I shoot varies from a buck a round to $3 per round, and the more expensive stuff is really hard to find sometimes,
also I hate throwing away the cases. You do make a valid point, but the proof is in the spitzer (which again is hard to find, but soft points are everywhere)

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”