My Misfit Defensive Battery

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Desolo

Post by Desolo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:22 am

Ive been lurking and looking at various threads and had a realization that my 3 "go-to" guns are horribly mis-matched! :crazy:
I figured Id see if anyone else has had the same experience, aswell as post a picture for fun, as hell, guns are fun to look at!

My well worn and hideous Saiga 12, with its horrible Tapco T-6 stock set that ended up on it because i couldnt find anything else local when I converted it, and somehow have some how grown to like :? Im thinking of one day nabbing a Vltor stock tube and fitting a mercury recoil reducer into it...

My Tanfoglio Witness in .45ACP, which for some freakish reason seems to be just about the best fitting pistol for myself Ive ever handled... even prefering it over any 1911 Ive ever held... :lol:

And My Mutt-tastic mutant AR-15 that I never intended to build, that ended up with wooden furniture because I simply prefer wooden furniture...and a wooden foregrip made from a Thompson foregrip and a rail mount because I liked the idea of a foregrip but didnt want a synth one on it. Then spent 2 weeks trying to match the oiled finish on the stock to the foregrip.... :crazy: Even though I should have a wood set on my Saiga because its a freaking AK :clownshoes:

So, anyone else have any horribly mismatched sets?
Last edited by Desolo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: My Misfit Defensive Battery

Post by skelco » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:24 am

that foregrip is the bomb!
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

Desolo

Post by Desolo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:52 am

Thanks!
It took a bit of time to get right, but its pretty much just a repro 1928 forend that I fit to a rail riser and then threaded the bolt from the grip into a drilled hole in the riser. The oil finishing is what took forever though.
Trying to match it to something pre existing is an excercise in futility if you want it perfect... and I never did get it perfectly matched. But its comfortable!

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:16 pm

I'm totally stealing that idea, it's the first vertical foregrip that I'e ever liked on an AR
-skelco

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:17 pm

I like it all, except the fore-grip seems hanky (use wise)... but looks cool!

Desolo

Post by Desolo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:40 pm

It IS a bit silly... But Its more solid then it looks, and I find it comfortable. :lol: Ive toyed with making a light lace-up leather forend wrap sort of like the old sten gun suppresors had on them aswell. Probably about as long as a carbine forend?

And If you do make one Skelco Id like to see that, it would be sweet to see someone elses take on it! :D

Texas19Delta

Post by Texas19Delta » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:56 pm

The Saiga is jealous of the wood that the AR is sporting!

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:16 pm

That AR is giving me a confusing boner.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:18 pm

ultra magnus wrote:That AR is giving me a confusing boner.
Right? It's fucking weird, but strangely hot. It's the Helena Bonham Carter of AR-15s.

Texas19Delta

Post by Texas19Delta » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:28 pm

I think it is the handguard (looks like an old school shroud) that makes the wood work AR.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:32 pm

Texas19Delta wrote:I think it is the handguard (looks like an old school shroud) that makes the wood work AR.
Agreed. Might be even better w/o the top rail.

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Jeriah wrote:
Right? It's fucking weird, but strangely hot. It's the Helena Bonham Carter of AR-15s.
haha, seriously
-skelco

-Hunter S. Thompson

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:48 pm

Desolo wrote:It IS a bit silly... But Its more solid then it looks, and I find it comfortable. :lol: Ive toyed with making a light lace-up leather forend wrap sort of like the old sten gun suppresors had on them aswell. Probably about as long as a carbine forend?

And If you do make one Skelco Id like to see that, it would be sweet to see someone elses take on it! :D
I just ordered a Thompson repro foregrip... we'll see what happens
-skelco

-Hunter S. Thompson

Desolo

Post by Desolo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:23 pm

Jeriah wrote:
That is certainly an odd string of thoughts :lol: the forend is one of those SS-15gen2's free floats and the top rail is integral, it grew on me and I like the weight.

Here is another picture at a different angle:

Im planning on rigging up a M1907 sling setup in the near future.... likely the kind with brass fittings.

Mild Thang
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Fido, Dawn of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Zombieland, and then House of the Dead 2 and Day of the Dead, just for how horrible they were. Cheese goes a long way with me.

Post by Mild Thang » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:38 pm

Jeriah wrote:
Texas19Delta wrote:I think it is the handguard (looks like an old school shroud) that makes the wood work AR.
Agreed. Might be even better w/o the top rail.
It would definitely look better without the top rail along the handguard, like a Browning M1919 getting raped by an AR15 that is getting raped by a Tommy gun.
Marlin Model 60SN .22lr
Mossberg 500 12 ga.
Beretta 92FS 9mm
Para Ord SF45-A .45ACP

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Desolo wrote:It IS a bit silly... But Its more solid then it looks, and I find it comfortable. :lol: Ive toyed with making a light lace-up leather forend wrap sort of like the old sten gun suppresors had on them aswell. Probably about as long as a carbine forend?

Optics with a leather laced brown leather wrap would be perfect for that gun, perhaps a compact 1x4.
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

doc66

Post by doc66 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:22 pm

What an interesting rifle. It looks like it should be in some Steampunk movie or comic.

I think I like it, but I'm not sure...
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Desolo

Post by Desolo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:21 am

MasterMaker wrote:

Optics with a leather laced brown leather wrap would be perfect for that gun, perhaps a compact 1x4.
I do in intend to scope it some day, but I do enjoy my irons... Although I cant help but want a "retro" styled compact scope, if I can find one thats good :lol:
doc66 wrote:What an interesting rifle. It looks like it should be in some Steampunk movie or comic.

I think I like it, but I'm not sure...
Ive heard others say that before (the steam punk thing) I think my love of Fallout kinda got in there aswell... LOL Its my anachronistic Ar-15! :lol:

Believe it or not it handles pretty well, although a tad heavier then some rifles of equivalent length but I think it balances quite well.... I need to weigh it some time now that I think of it.

Angrypirate

Post by Angrypirate » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:04 am

Thats awesome! So much want. I really like timber-stocked ARs.

jeremy1391
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead
dawn of the dead (old and new)
day of the dead (original)
28 weeks later
land of the dead
diary of the dead (very well done)

Post by jeremy1391 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:40 am

That AR is very Fallout-ish I WANT!!!
the_klenzer wrote:
And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

trenchcoat

Post by trenchcoat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:52 am

That really is an uniquely awesome AR. Is that a 20" barrel? I think a shorter barrel would be a lot more Thompsony, but it's pretty rad the way it is.

Desolo

Post by Desolo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:29 am

trenchcoat wrote:That really is an uniquely awesome AR. Is that a 20" barrel? I think a shorter barrel would be a lot more Thompsony, but it's pretty rad the way it is.
16in actually, just with a 15in free float tube looks a hell of a lot longer then it is LOL

I just ordered a sling for it, ended up settling on a m1907 sling but couldnt find one I liked that had brass fittings so parkerized it is :( its hard to find stuff like that made in the U.S. anymore.

Dexion1619

Post by Dexion1619 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:43 pm

Holy crap, as a fellow Wood-Stocked AR owner, I freaken LOVE that thing. I have the same wood stock and grip, but that foregrip makes it sexy! :clap:
Dude, is that a turkey or a dinosaur?!?!

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:46 am

Alright, that is a damn cool AR. Should have straight 20rd mags in there though for the look- and it definitely needs a brown leather sling! :clap:
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”