Rubberize your grips and other cheap mods.

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

ultra magnus

Rubberize your grips and other cheap mods.

Post by ultra magnus » Thu May 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Post your low and no cost do it yourself mods. Here is what I've got so far and if I ever remember to grab the camera out of the wife's purse I'll try to get pics of all of these projects.

I've had an FEG Hi-Power for awhile now that I hadn't done much with since buying due to a bad extractor. Well I finally got around to putting a new one in and now I'm in love. The grips are super weak though. Shiny checkered plastic that looks like it would be more at home on a toy gun. I was going to paint them with some Krylon but something caught my eye at Walmart. Rust-Oleum LeakSeal Flexible Rubber Coating. Costs $10 and does exactly what it's name implies. I decided to try it out to see if it increased the grippyness of my lame grips. I tested it on a plastic water pistol first. Success. So far I've got one light coat on the grips, and the checkering is still pretty strong. It's not super grippy, but it's a significant improvement. Comes out a pretty flat black that looks nice with the pistol. I've got some paint drying on the test water pistol now to see how that effects the grippyness and texture. I'm thinking this stuff would do wonders on a stippling job to give it a more professional appearance. Just my opinion but even "professional" stippling jobs look like awful even if they do improve grip.

Sight painting. This was being discussed in another thread, but here are my thoughts on it. Nail polish rocks. Specifically Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear. It's pretty dang tough, available at Walmart, and has it's own applicator brush. What more can you ask for? While your at it you can also pick up some glow in the dark nail polish. This is usually a fair bit cheaper than glow in the dark paint, and again has it's own applicator brush. Put some on over your white nail polish for a bit of an improvement in low light visibility.

I plan on widening my AK rear sight opening once I get some time and a digital caliper, and I'm going to post the info and pics of my rear sling relocation on my AK.

So what do you have? Lets get some AK shell casing charging handle, and whatever other tricks you guys have.

wguy00

Re: Rubberize your grips and other cheap mods.

Post by wguy00 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Sports grip tape.

Also, for your project, look into spray on bedliner in a rattlecan. Not real rough. Almost like a spray paint with some sand in it.
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
-Douglas Adams

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Thu May 03, 2012 9:09 pm

wguy00 wrote:Sports grip tape.

Also, for your project, look into spray on bedliner in a rattlecan. Not real rough. Almost like a spray paint with some sand in it.

I hate the grip tape as it inevitably starts to peal and leave gross tape residue but I know a lot of guys love it.

fixinto

Post by fixinto » Mon May 07, 2012 10:29 am

I usually use the hogue handall never seen one for more than 10 dollars and they wont wear like a coating. As far as glow in the dark paints I would want to do some testing before hand to see how bright it is and how long it lasts there is also this stuff http://siteglo.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BattleVersion
Favorite Zombie Movies: RE Extinction, Night of the living Dead.

Post by BattleVersion » Mon May 07, 2012 12:05 pm

GlowINC's V10 glow in the dark paint works great for sights!
I've put it on most of my guns, wears well when covered with clear polish, and last along time (almost the entire night).

Daylight,
Half light,
Total darknes,
Image Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress

I'm Just Trying To Do The Opposite Of Left,
As Long As There Is The Opposite Of Death.
Tested, And I Might Just Bring The Opposite Of Life,
Till There's No One The Opposite Of Right...
-Fiasco-

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon May 07, 2012 9:30 pm

I know a lot of guys who are breaking out their soldering irons and doing stippling on the grips of their Glocks and other polymer framed handguns. Not to mention their Pmags. Lots of videos on it on youtube. I am probably going to do that one the Magpul K grip I am putting on my ZS lower. A few hours with a soldering iron, and you end up with something better than grip tape that will never peel off. And if I screw it up, I am only out about $15.

-Mb

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”