I present to ZS my first AR-15 (w/ pics)

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

wguy00

Re: I present to ZS my first AR-15 (w/ pics)

Post by wguy00 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Branth wrote:That is a LONG barrel... How does it balance? If it feels muzzle-heavy, I might just go with a fixed stock and load some heavy stuff into the cleaning kit compartment, or get some saddlebags so your weight is better centered over your pistol grip. That's just personal preference, though.
It's not that long. It looks long though. Here in CA, we have to have barrels that are minimum length of 16" and a minimum OAL of 30" in it's shortest fireable configuration. That can be done with a 14.5" barrel and a welded on break/suppressor. I just got a 16" barrel since I didn't want to permanently fix the suppressor. The OAL of the barrel is right around 17", with an OAL of about 31.5" in it's shortest configuration, which was done on purpose in case some LEO's tape measure is an inch short :wink: It is a little muzzle heavy, but I was expecting that. I might try a 13" and see how that feels.
TheLastOne wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:whatsa bullet button?
Its a California thing. Its a button that disables the mag release on semi autos. The only way to swap mags is with a tool.

:shock: Fuck that right in the ass. Are you serious?

OT

Dude, that's a nice build. I want an extended handguard for my carbine that goes around the fsp like dd and troy make.
Thank you. Those DD and Troy handguards are pretty sweet. I considered those when I was starting my build. As for the BB, RG is right about the tool. A tool is anything that is not connected to the firearm. A bullet, a twig, cotter pin, anything that fits into the hole.
RickOShea wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:
Its a California thing. Its a button that disables the mag release on semi autos. The only way to swap mags is with a tool.

:shock: Fuck that right in the ass. Are you serious?
California AKs have to have a similar device.....But, IIRC, Ruger Minis don't. :?
Nope, Minis don't. Like Nim mentioned, if you ran a MM grip, you could drop the BB and use a regular mag release on an AR. But it's not that easy. Not only can you not have a pistol grip, you can't have a flash suppressor (muzzle brakes and compensators are ok though), collapsible stock (notice the fixed stock in Nim's pic), forward pistol grip, or flare/grenade launcher. Since Minis don't have any of those "evil" features, they are not subject to the BB. But you're still stuck at 10 rounds. Check out this flow chart from Cal Guns to check out some of this confusing madness for yourself. Flow Chart (pdf)

Also, MBUS was fixed at lunch time. I'll re-zero on Saturday.
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
-Douglas Adams

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Fri May 04, 2012 2:06 pm

Czechnology wrote:
RickOShea wrote:California AKs have to have a similar device.....But, IIRC, Ruger Minis don't. :?
Yeah that law only applies to dangerous weapons. :lol:

What a troublemaker. :lol:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:35 am

Regular Guy wrote:

ok not to derail or hijack..but ive been thinking...since californians need to have a bullet button...im guessing it illegal also to install a ambi mag release like one from Troy? http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR435-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:29 am

So you can use high capacity magazines with no bullet button as long as you have the Monsterman grip in Cali or do they still have to be limited to 10 rds?I would think the grip would be the better option.A tool to change mags?What a joke.

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Winston Smith » Mon May 07, 2012 7:49 am

The monsterman grip eliminates the bullet-button requirement. All California magazines are limited to ten rounds.

The irony is that the California AWB was in response to the North Hollywood Shootout, where police had difficulty taking down two armed and armored bank robbers. When the police were finding that their issue pistols and the few shotguns they had were not effective, they went to the local gun store and commandeered AR15 rifles, which eventually ended the confrontation. If this were to happen today, they would be walking out of the store with 10 round magazines, and if they forgot to pick up a tool for the bullet button, once they drained the first one they'd be a sitting duck. Gotta love California logic(no offense to CA ZS'ers, I know it's not your fault) All California did is limit the rights of law abiding citizens, as people who are going to break the law could care less about mag cap regs. My $.02.
*BloodbathPB prior to 4JUN2012*

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”