Stuff that is mispronounced

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

olbaid_dratsab

Stuff that is mispronounced

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:19 pm

So lets get us all on the same page.

What gun shit do you hear thats always mispronounced?

I hear
"Sig Sayer"
"Smith and Weston"
"nine-eleven"
"Luger" when folks talk about a Ruger MKI,MKII, or MKIII
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

bigmattdaddywack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later,Hide and Creep, Night of the living dead, Undead, Return of the Living Dead.
Not truly zombie movies but, Evil Dead I and II, Army of darkness

Re: Stuff that is mispronounced

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:25 pm

I am really guilty of this. Leopuld instead of Leupold. Lee ah pulled compared to Lew poled. Leupold is the correct spelling and "Lew poled" is the correct pronunciation (well I fucking think so). I hear that damned red-headed Marine Colonel say it over and over again on the Guns and Ammo TV show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd2rsXoQSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:26 pm

I hear people talk about "Ecotech" sights.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:28 pm

"Reticule" instead of reticle.

bigmattdaddywack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later,Hide and Creep, Night of the living dead, Undead, Return of the Living Dead.

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:31 pm

bigmattdaddywack wrote:I hear that damned red-headed Marine Colonel say it over and over again on the Guns and Ammo TV show.
He is red-headed, left-handed, and of smaller stature.... = Bad Ass Marine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd2rsXoQSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:33 pm

Does the use of "clip" when it's a "mag" fall into this category? That's a major pet peeve of mine.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

bigmattdaddywack

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Maverick299 wrote:Does the use of "clip" when it's a "mag" fall into this category? That's a major pet peeve of mine.
You are damned right it does!
It fits!

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:39 pm

^well not so much because "clip" is actually pronounced "clip". Besides, thats an old one. We're on the same page with that by now.

What made me think of this was JamesCannon saying something about Saiga and how it isn't "say-guh" or something like that. I think it was in the SOns of Guns thread.

So, sigh-aye-ga?
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:42 pm

unless you buy a Marlin or a browning, in which case they are still called clips by the manufacturer.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Polley

Post by Polley » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Last edited by Polley on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Todd.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:00 pm

crypto wrote:unless you buy a Marlin or a browning, in which case they are still called clips by the manufacturer.

http://www.triplek.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Manufacturers of gun stuff arn't always right.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:02 pm

I dunno, when you're 130 years old and were around for the birth of metallic cartridge firearms, you can call shit what you want.

My holy grail of firearms research will be finding a engineering diagram drawn by JMB that says 'clip'
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:27 pm

^ You would make every thread on clip vs mag burst into flames. Find eveidence that he pronounced it "clipe" too. That would be the shite.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:38 pm

olbaid_dratsab wrote:^well not so much because "clip" is actually pronounced "clip". Besides, thats an old one. We're on the same page with that by now.

What made me think of this was JamesCannon saying something about Saiga and how it isn't "say-guh" or something like that. I think it was in the SOns of Guns thread.

So, sigh-aye-ga?
Not quite. I believe it should be pronounce "sigh-gah". If you know what a taiga (type of forest in Siberia) is, it's pronounced the same way.
Polley wrote:"Carbine."

Car-bine, car-bean. I, myself, prefer the first.
I did a little research on this, and both pronunciations are considered acceptable depending on the dialect of the area. Typically the south and western parts of the country say "Carbean" while the northeasterners say "Carbighn". I've seen it pronounced both ways on TV.

Speaking of Sons of Guns, every time they say "InTEHgrally" it just rubs me the wrong way. I think it's because they're placing emphasis on the wrong syllable?

bigmattdaddywack

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:03 am

I believe I pronounce carbine as car-bean more often than car-bine. I probably use both interchangeably and really don't notice it.

I pronounce Saiga as Sigh-ga. Which is pronounced like Taiga.

Bowie knife is correctly pronounced boo-wee, not bow-ee. The knife is named after Jim Bowie(more or less by stories fueled about how he used it in a fight on a sandbar near Natchez . Also the knife was probably more in appearance to a Ka-Bar in size but the true nature of its design is lost to history) and not David Bowie of stuffed package Labyrinth fame.

Also Minie Ball is correctly uttered by saying Min-nay and not min-nee.

zulu5oscar
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: dead series, 28days/weeks, pretty much anything with undead getting killed...again:)

Post by zulu5oscar » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:43 am

I hate the cash-ay referring to a cache
Beware the fury of a patient man
John Dryden(1681)

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:53 am

zulu5oscar wrote:I hate the cash-ay referring to a cache
So much this.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:54 am

Sootch00 on Youtube always mispronouces the word "accessories" as "ass-essories". Love the guy's videos, but for some reason that bugs the crap out of me.

And since this thread has the potential to turn into a smugfest: until I was in my twenties, I thought the expression "for all intents and purposes" was "for all intensive purposes."

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:10 am

From another generation: "Flying shrapmetal" luckily I had my "flapjacket"
Also, surprisingly, the "60-cal" or M60 as the rest of us called it, fired smaller projectiles than the 50-cal.
Heard this frequently from Gunny Mahone, aka "the worlds dumbest Marine", who missed his own name three times while calling roll. On the third shot, saying, "Mahoney? Where you at boy?" Someone in the ranks said, "That's you, Gunny." He never missed a beat, saying, "Oh, present!"
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:42 am

I've heard Garand a few different ways.
Presumably one of them is right...

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:44 am

I've heard Noveske pronounced "Novsky" more than a few times.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:40 am

People constantly say Saiga as "sega" or Say-gah" and it annoys me.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:11 pm

I used to hear this one all the time in the Corps. The word is "lackadaisical", meaning lacking life, spirit, or zest. Another word is "lax", meaning loose, or not stringent. However, "laxidaisical" is not a word. I know our Drill Instructors and Platoon Sergeants used to warn us against becoming "laxidaisical" all the time, but that still doesn't put it in the dictionary. And I hear it all the time from active/prior service military. I heard it more than once over a weekend at a class I took at Ft Lewis, and again while watching "Top Shot".

Also, Calvary is where Jesus is thought to be crucified. The cavalry is who you call when when you're outmanned, outgunned and outclassed.

Hopefully they'll be riding bears.
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:20 pm

Mispronouncing "Geissele" doesn't bother me at all, since most people have trouble with it, and honestly, it's a goofy name to my ears, tongue and brain.
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”