It's starting (again).....

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Kommander

Re: It's starting (again).....

Post by Kommander » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:52 pm

Last time this happened I and a bunch of other forum members got $800+ Arsenal AKs for $500 after the panic died down and there was a surplus.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:54 pm

Kommander wrote:Last time this happened I and a bunch of other forum members got $800+ Arsenal AKs for $500 after the panic died down and there was a surplus.
Sweet deal. I'll have to look out for those.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:04 pm

With Obama in his last term, it might be different this time.....

Crazy Wolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Crazy Wolf » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:25 pm

400 Grains wrote:With Obama in his last term, it might be different this time.....
As a member of the executive branch, he directly can't do much himself when it comes to lasting change. Sure, he could sign a bill that came across his desk, but all those senators and congressmen who want to get re-elected (read: all of them) have seen that messing with the 2nd Amendment earns them no political capital and a great deal of voter ire. Any change in gun regulations in the next four years will either come from the (judging by track-record, pro-gun) courts or at the state level.
Nim's text key: SARCASM, WTF R U DOIN, Nice, I like, Inane statement
The phrase "surgical strike" might be more acceptable if it were common to perform surgery with high explosives. (G. Carlin)
ImageImage

Kronos

Post by Kronos » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Crazy Wolf wrote:
400 Grains wrote:With Obama in his last term, it might be different this time.....
As a member of the executive branch, he directly can't do much himself when it comes to lasting change. Sure, he could sign a bill that came across his desk, but all those senators and congressmen who want to get re-elected (read: all of them) have seen that messing with the 2nd Amendment earns them no political capital and a great deal of voter ire. Any change in gun regulations in the next four years will either come from the (judging by track-record, pro-gun) courts or at the state level.
Executive orders brought us the ban on imported assault weapons in 1989, the barrel ban in 2006, the ban on Chinese imports in 94, and the ban on imported rifles capable of accepting a "hi-cap" magazine in 1998.

Don't fool yourself by thinking that, "It can't happen".

Complacency kills.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:12 pm

We're doing pretty good in this thread about discussing a potential firearm shortage and spike in prices without advocating a political position. Please keep that up if you post here.

And yes, depending on how the US elections go another panic is likely. Keep in mind the last panic was a self-fullfilling prophecy. People thought there were shortages and bought more than they normally would, making the shortage. Of course, that doesn't make it any less of a shortage, it doesn't matter what causes it.

If you shoot a lot, I think maybe it's a reasonable idea to buy ammo ahead of time this spring. There's a reasonable enough chance that prices will spike and shortages occur in the late summer or fall to make doing so a decent bet. But if you've been a ZS-er for some time, you likely already have enough ammo stored to get you through a time of shortages. :-)
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

pahwraith

Post by pahwraith » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:44 pm

Crazy Wolf wrote:
This.

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:19 pm

ummm guys its income tax time, this happens EVERY year at this time, and undoubtedly the gun boards go nuts on it

nes999

Post by nes999 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:21 pm

How long does the surge normally last?

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:37 pm

nes999 wrote:How long does the surge normally last?
After the 2008 election it was hard to find 380 ammo for about a year at any price. That was the worst affected. Cheap 9x19 was hard to find for a few months. Other things weren't affected at all, like AR-15 magazines. I figured those would get scarce or expensive but they didn't.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:43 pm

the yearly one after income tax season lasts a couple months past april then by end of spring its in stock again

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:02 pm

PistolPete wrote:
After the 2008 election it was hard to find 380 ammo for about a year at any price. That was the worst affected. Cheap 9x19 was hard to find for a few months. Other things weren't affected at all, like AR-15 magazines. I figured those would get scarce or expensive but they didn't.
I think that also was effected by the LCP/Carry craze that started right around the same time.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Bearcat wrote:
Kommander wrote:Last time this happened I and a bunch of other forum members got $800+ Arsenal AKs for $500 after the panic died down and there was a surplus.
Sweet deal. I'll have to look out for those.
Yeah, hoping I can get a few, too. Mine were $733 each about a year ago.

I may start converting Saigas for the kids...
Kronos wrote:
Crazy Wolf wrote:
Executive orders brought us the ban on imported assault weapons in 1989, the barrel ban in 2006, the ban on Chinese imports in 94, and the ban on imported rifles capable of accepting a "hi-cap" magazine in 1998. Don't fool yourself by thinking that, "It can't happen". Complacency kills.
I've seen enough legislative volatility in my short life to know that I can't predict what they will decide.

Anyone want to buy a Sig 556? It's a good shooter!
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:55 pm

I know that I have friends that do not own guns that are now looking to pick some up before the upcoming elections. My advise to them has been go with one rifle (AK or AR) first as they if the politicians decide will be on the ban list first then get a good hand gun before they fall next and then a shotgun as they will be last to go. I kid not I have had this conversation no less then five times in the last week all of whom are looking at using their tax returns this year for firearms purchases. I think people are starting to worry about the future. Add to that shows like doomsday preppers and doomsday bunkers with the current both economic and political climates followed by increases in natural disasters in the news (not sure if there is in fact an increase) and average people are starting to worry more. I have noticed a shorter supply of AR's and AK's here in town over the last few months but figured the holidays just passed.
Regulators mount up.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:20 pm

I went to a gun show in Tampa this weekend and it was absolutely insane. Easily 2-3x more people than I've ever seen at that particular show.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:29 am

Talked to a friend at Federal Cartridge. February was their largest month for orders in the history of the company.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:32 am

huntingohio wrote:ummm guys its income tax time, this happens EVERY year at this time, and undoubtedly the gun boards go nuts on it
huntingohio wrote:the yearly one after income tax season lasts a couple months past april then by end of spring its in stock again
Quoted for comedy potential this summer.....

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:52 am

Yep, this is gonna be a big one... stock up while you can, ladies and gents. If you are planning on taking any classes this year, I'd buy the ammo NOW.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:44 am

AKFTW wrote:Yep, this is gonna be a big one... stock up while you can, ladies and gents. If you are planning on taking any classes this year, I'd buy the ammo NOW.
By all means, continue promoting the hype which drives the prices up by dwindling the supply.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:51 am

Doc Torr wrote:By all means, continue promoting the hype which drives the prices up by dwindling the supply.
I'm pretty sure everyone here realizes that election year shortages are purely based on hype, but hype is what generates demand - realistic or not. The only options in this case are to beat the demand by purchasing early, or take your chances paying ridiculous prices after the hype generates demand and drives up the prices.

I'd rather be part of this discussion than the inevitable threads bitching about buying overly inflated ammo.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:26 am

UndeadInfidel wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:By all means, continue promoting the hype which drives the prices up by dwindling the supply.
I'm pretty sure everyone here realizes that election year shortages are purely based on hype, but hype is what generates demand - realistic or not. The only options in this case are to beat the demand by purchasing early, or take your chances paying ridiculous prices after the hype generates demand and drives up the prices.

I'd rather be part of this discussion than the inevitable threads bitching about buying overly inflated ammo.
Yes, that's the point- these price hikes are driven by panic, hype, and hysteria- which happens every 4 years in the US (for some strange reason :wink: ). Add this 2012 nonsense on top of it and you have stupid people buying lots of ammo and guns in fear of a ban and/or the impending mayan apocalypse. And retailers being what they are, they will drive up prices and participate in this crap so they can take advantage of it.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:53 pm

Buy ammo when teh prices are down and reload when the prices get stupid.
Regulators mount up.

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:05 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Well there certainly was on PMags. Please, please God let there be another run on PMags again. I've got over 30 of those fat little plastic bastards I'd like to send off without too much of a loss.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:16 pm

I own a Glock 22 because of the last election. All I could find on the shelves was .17HMR and .40S&W.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”