Help me pick a gun safe

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

universal_exports
Favorite Zombie Movies: day of the dead

Help me pick a gun safe

Post by universal_exports » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:37 pm

well I really need a gun safe, I would like to stay around $600.00 price range, can a quality safe be found for that? I have checked craigslist, and no luck
I need a safe for 5-6 Rifles, I dont have many, any advise?

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Help me pick a gun safe

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:53 pm

I think you're going to need to up your budget. At least double it. You should be able to find a decent gun cabinet for what you're willing to spend, but nothing that will dramatically improve your firearms protection.

http://www.patriotsafe.com/Closet-Model ... p_489.html

Cheapest one I found on their site. I have a different Patriot model, and I've been very pleased.

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:54 pm

Try this (link)

24 gun safe, but the extra room can always be used for other valuables.

universal_exports

Post by universal_exports » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:49 pm

well so far it looks like I am liking the Bighorn safe by rhino, I've read several great reviews on other gun forums, and it has great features. for a $839.00 safe

Two Internal Relockers
Electronic Lock allows you to enter your own combination
8 Massive 1" Chrome-plated bolts on the left and right side of the door
4" Thick Composite Door
1200° / 70 Minute Fire Rating
11 Gauge Steel Body
Seamless Continuously Welded body
Pry Resistant Door
Hole in the back for dehumidifier
Rifle Capacity: 8-10 Gun
Weight: 450 lbs.

http://www.gunsafes.com/Bighorn-Gun-Safe-6022ML.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clout

Post by Clout » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:59 am

Universal - I had similar needs to yours when I started shopping around. My father-in-law has a $2,000 safe and likes mine over his. I searched everywhere from local security companies through Ebay and beyond. With all of the research I had completed, I kept thinking I needed to spend more to gain more. Then I reminded myself that any safe was better than my present safe (at the time)...which was none.

I bought the Winchester that Tractor Supply regularly has specials on. I'm not sure if there are Tractor Supply stores in your area, but perhaps you could find another retailer nearby that offers Winchester Safes. Here are some stats:

Fire Resistant to 30 minutes @ 1400° F
UL Listed Electronic Lock
Holds up to 24 Long Guns
Palusol® Door Seal
Layers of 1/2 in. Fireboard in Door
2 Layers of 1/2 in. Fireboard in Body
4-Way Active Bolt Work
12 each 1-1/4 in. Diameter Locking Bolts
Auxiliary Relocker
Door Panel Organizer
5-Spoke Handle
Convertible Gray Interior
59 in. H x 30 in. W x 22 in. D
Cubic Capacity: 22.5 cu. ft.
Weight: 507 lb.
Limited Lifetime Warranty

Some of my personal reasons for liking it so much.

-Price: I got it on special for $649.
-Fire rating seems more than enough for my basement install.
-Holes for running a dehumidifier cord. (acutally just used the holes that are supposed to be there for bolting it down, but it worked like a charm)
-DOOR ORGANIZER!!!! (sounds cheesy but this thing has freed up so much space on the shelves). Every pocket and pouch you see is lined with soft "velvet" feeling material that helps protect things from being scratched. I put my pistols in their respective slots and jewlery, documents, cash and other items in the larger pouches. Some zip and others have velcro enclosures.
-Electronic keypad. I love how quick I can get in and out. Runs on a 9V. I keep a spare sitting on top, JIC. I also bought one of these http://www.opticsplanet.net/cannon-safe ... 4AodFixEsg

Here's the URL to the item on Tractor Supply: http://www.tractorsupply.com/winchester ... ty-1043297
Here's the URL to the Winchester Site (it's basically the Ranger 24...which they conveniently don't have on their site, but you can make the leap from either the 19 or the 30) http://winchestersafes.com/ranger19-GraniteGloss.aspx

tonytwotimes

Help me pick a gun safe

Post by tonytwotimes » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:51 am

Something slightly off topic as gun cabinets weren't mentioned. I work at a certain big box tool store. Our advertised special can be popped open in 5 minutes with a screw driver and a hammer.

I see people all the time come in for these things. If you cheap out you will be budget shopping for guns, not a safe.

They are excellent gun cabinets however, if you know their limitations.
Distance is a very good indicator of disdain

universal_exports

Post by universal_exports » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:55 pm

yeah, I have a tractor supply 10 minutes from the house already been there but they did not have the Winchester safes in stock, they only had 2 smaller ones stack-on or something like that, one of those el'cheapo brand.

I havent ruled the winchester out, still checking out different safes, the bighorn is about $140.00 more but has twice the fire rating,

Power Fail

Post by Power Fail » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:27 pm

JamesCannon wrote:I think he's also forgotten more about spelling and grammar than ... well it just seems he's forgotten a lot about it.
DannusMaximus wrote:Few things are more win than saving the day with something that other people think you're weird for hauling around. 8)

rklessdriver

Post by rklessdriver » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:32 pm

Keep in min these are RSC's we are talking about not real safes. Most all marketed "GUN SAFEs" at any price are RSCs. That said they are more than adequate for most peoples needs.

Rhino Big Horn... I have one and it's been great - going on 2 yrs ownership now. Orginal 9v battery in the lock and I open my safe a few times a week. Like I said no problems with the lock or anything else for that matter. Before I bought, I compared it against the Cannon Safe's at Tractor Supply and IMO the Big Horn was nicer. TS did not have the Winchester Safe in stock.

I got mine from COSTCO. It was on sale for $569.00 and free shipping. They run these sales every couple of months, so keep an eye in the mail for the flyer.

Right now they have a similar sized Cannon Safari Safe for $599.00 and a smaller one for $449.00 free shipping of course.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... 3*&topnav=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... 3*&topnav=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last Xmas my family all chipped in and we bought my dad the Winchester Safe from Tractor Supply. The TS where they live had them on the floor. IMO it's almost the same safe as my Big Horn with a different paint job and a Legard elect lock (My Big Horn has a SecuRam elect lock). It even had the same industrial glue smell from the interior. Nice RSC for the $$$.

Will

universal_exports

Post by universal_exports » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:06 pm

thanks for the reply's, I am still shopping.

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:36 am

I'll just leave this...here:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=27418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: BAH! A little late to the party but is worth mentioning again :gonk:
Last edited by Unorthodox on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

Power Fail

Post by Power Fail » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:28 pm

Unorthodox wrote:I'll just leave this...here:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=27418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Three posts above yours :wink: :D
JamesCannon wrote:I think he's also forgotten more about spelling and grammar than ... well it just seems he's forgotten a lot about it.
DannusMaximus wrote:Few things are more win than saving the day with something that other people think you're weird for hauling around. 8)

universal_exports

Post by universal_exports » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:02 pm

thanks for the help, I ended up going with a Liberty Centurion 30, I checked everywhere online, and $1,250 was the cheapest I could find it, I managed to work a deal with a local distributor and got it for $950.00 out the door. total price

cheech_sp

Post by cheech_sp » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:27 pm

WhoShotJR wrote:Try this (link)

24 gun safe, but the extra room can always be used for other valuables.
FYI
Tractor Supply's safes have been backordered for months. I've had a rain check on this Cannon safe since 11/3/2011. But I have yet to see any other store have comparable prices, except maybe the occasional Costco sale.

universal_exports

Post by universal_exports » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:36 pm

as a follow up, I got my $50.00 rebate from Liberty safes today, they have a rebate for police, military, Fireman etc.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”