DUMBEST F*&@king thing you've ever heard NOT ON THE ZS FORUM

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

HKTackDriver

DUMBEST F*&@king thing you've ever heard NOT ON THE ZS FORUM

Post by HKTackDriver » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:25 am

Sometimes the stupidity of people around firearms is astounding. I mean - MONUMENTALLY braindead astounding. Yesterday I was at my local fun shop and this guy walks in and starts talking about some show he saw on tv and how he's thinking about starting some project using infrared cameras "like in Aliens" to be automated to fire at animals, so when you're hunting, it'll help hunters. When I politely pointed out that an automated system wouldn't be able to tell a 4 legged from 2 legged animal apart, his response was, "why would it matter? Then I can sell it to the military." Really guy? Right after that, pretty much everyone started telling him to leave the R&D to the big boys and that his idea was flawed on many levels. Basically, we shunned him out of the store. After he left, we were all left with the impression that he didn't care whether it killed people or animals, just as long as it worked, it would be a success.

Anyway, I had to share. What are some of the dumb things you've heard people say regarding firearms?

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Re: DUMBEST F*&@king thing you've ever heard...

Post by MikeM » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:58 am

Dumb stuff I hear all the time:
"just rack the slide and they will run away"
"you can't hunt with an AR"
"You shouldn't teach your son about guns"

I could go on all day.

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:06 am

"Glocks are all plastic and can go through metal detectors" :|
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:10 am

@ HK - This already exists in the paintball world…
linkys if your interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBa5bQfTGc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.paintballsentry.com/CustomerExamples.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has he stopped to think on how he'd get back to it to turn it off? :lol:
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Braxton
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:12 am

Hollow point bullets open in flight. ( Gun store owner )

Training is a waste of time. ( Random guy at gun show )

Bird shot is the best for home defence. ( Police officer )

If you own guns you want to kill people. ( Chick that I was hitting on )

No honest man needs more that ten rounds. ( Sell out douchebag )
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:19 am

Ok, I got this from a kid, in HS, when I was young-mind you, this was mid 80's, and he was a grade or 2 above me, tops.
His story was that he was in Vietnam (this was when Vietnam became the "cool" war to have been in, all the movies had something about them, etc.). Now, he was born in 68-so, we ALL knew he was a bullshitter. He was just one of those kids. But, I specifically recall a "story" he told, where he said he killed a bunch of people, using a Sten gun-and, that a Sten gun was unique in the firearms world, in that it doesnt shoot bullets, the gun actually chews up the magazine & fires tiny pieces of it. Now, I didnt know much, or ANYTHING, about firearms, when I was young, but I SPECIFICALLY remember that story, all these years later. And, to this day, it sticks with me.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

Tonto

Post by Tonto » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:02 am

Let's see...the top 3 most stupid things I've heard recently are... I'm hearing a LOT of really stupid things from people lately.

1) If I need to shoot more than 5 times I'm probably gonna be dead anyway, why should I carry more ammo (referring to why homegun is a snubby revolver and only keep 5rds for it).

2) Chicks should only shoot 22's because they're chicks and can't handle a real caliber gun. (this pissed me off to no end - and the douche claims to be a CCW instructor).

3) Hornady steel case ammo is perfectly fine for the AR, but that Wolf steel case crap will destroy your AR.
CERT member, former OHMR member (2001-2005), amateur IDPA shooter and reader of Blogs & Prep forums. Yes, I am a legend in my own mind and I'm emailing this from the secret shadow goverment bunker located beneath Walmart.

LBB

Post by LBB » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:04 am

The military already saw this kind of automated weapon platform.
Remote deploy able, and with a camera that can tell the difference between a tank, a vehicle and a person.

Unfortunately, because of the limited possible use, and the expensive price, it never left invention status.
I mean after it shots ones, someone will use a rocket launcher and destroy it.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:20 am

"What will you do when Obama wins in 2012 ? Me find a hole and pull the dirt in on me ! Lets here it I know everybody is really thinking about this now ?"

From our own pages. :roll:

And for listening, it's "hear" not "here." "Here" is a location.

The G36 is teh besstz gun evas!
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:26 am

"All you need is a file to make an AK47 full auto. It's so easy."
Violent Torpedo of Truth

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:47 am

Insert paper clip in hollow point. Instant armor piercing rounds.-Odd guy at gun shop.
Semiautomatics are worthless.-Veteran police sergeant, grandfathered in his revolver his entire career.
Just rack the shotgun, you don't even need ammo.-Pale kid who was hitting on my resident.
Glocks are designed for shooting underwater.-A 'SEAL' in a bar.
Bullets can be sharpened.-Guy at an anime convention.
ARs were secretly used in WW2.-Guy from work we fired later on.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:05 pm

HKTD, you’re even more right on than you might know. I don't practice law, but I did go to law school.
I remember in torts class we studied a group of civil law cases that all revolved around the idea of "spring guns". In the field of jurisprudence, a spring gun isn't what you might expect. It's any firearm rigged to discharge automatically without any human intervention after setting it up.

The court decisions have been very clear about this whole concept: it's a wildly irresponsible idea and is dealt with very severely. You think you've got a legal fight on your hands shooting an intruder in self defense? Chafe at the idea of having to prove reasonable fear of imminent harm to person or property? Think its common sense that the "no reasonable retreat" doctrine shouldn't apply inside one's own home?

Well good f-ing lucking getting anywhere legally defending yourself if someone gets hurt by a gun you've rigged to fire indiscriminately once it's "sprung". Whether by a spring catch or an infrared sensor, it falls under the same legal doctrine and the court decisions are very clear on this (as they should be, IMHO). That moron's idea of actually trying to build one of these things is stupid in ways that almost defy description.

The only silver lining to this is that if the human race is lucky, this idiot will quickly qualify for a Darwin Award while testing it.

LBB

Post by LBB » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:26 pm

oldsoldier wrote:Ok, I got this from a kid, in HS, when I was young-mind you, this was mid 80's, and he was a grade or 2 above me, tops.
His story was that he was in Vietnam (this was when Vietnam became the "cool" war to have been in, all the movies had something about them, etc.). Now, he was born in 68-so, we ALL knew he was a bullshitter. He was just one of those kids. But, I specifically recall a "story" he told, where he said he killed a bunch of people, using a Sten gun-and, that a Sten gun was unique in the firearms world, in that it doesnt shoot bullets, the gun actually chews up the magazine & fires tiny pieces of it. Now, I didnt know much, or ANYTHING, about firearms, when I was young, but I SPECIFICALLY remember that story, all these years later. And, to this day, it sticks with me.
I read this SciFi book where he got it from.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sten_Adven ... ok_1:_Sten" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think in this book, they have a weapon that shots plastic darts that are made from the magazine.
And if I am wrong, than it's from BattleTech

Bunsen

Post by Bunsen » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:27 pm

majorhavoc wrote:HKTD, you’re even more right on than you might know. I don't practice law, but I did go to law school.
I remember in torts class we studied a group of civil law cases that all revolved around the idea of "spring guns". In the field of jurisprudence, a spring gun isn't what you might expect. It's any firearm rigged to fire automatically without any human intervention after setting it up.

The court decisions have been very clear about this whole concept: it's a wildly irresponsible idea and is dealt with very severely. You think you've got a legal fight on your hands shooting an intruder in self defense? Chafe at the idea of having to prove reasonable fear of imminent harm to person or property? Think its common sense that the "no reasonable retreat" doctrine shouldn't apply inside one's own home?

Well good f-ing lucking getting anywhere legally defending yourself if someone gets hurt by a gun you've rigged to fire indiscriminately once it's "sprung". Whether by a spring catch or an infrared sensor, it falls under the same legal doctrine and the court decisions are very clear on this (as they should be, IMHO). That moron's idea of actually trying to build one of these things is stupid in ways that almost defy description.

The only silver lining to this is that if the human race is lucky, this idiot will quickly qualify for a Darwin Award while testing it.
Or, more likely, he'll discover that designing and building automated electromechanical systems is difficult even when you're not a flaming moron, and give up. Stupidity does sometimes self-limit before it hits the Darwin threshold.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:27 pm

"A semiautomatic cannot be as accurate as a bolt action" - said as an across the board statement by some idiot I know.

I then showed him a .8 inch 100 yard group from my sub-MOA Rem 597, with it's floated bull barrel, next to his 3 inch group from his Winchester bolty from the 50's which is rusted to shit. His comeback? "That's not what I meant."

Next line? "There is no country that uses a semiauto as a sniper rifle."
Me:"Yep. The Brits. (L129A1)"
"Well what do they know? They live on an island."

(I didn't even mention the SVD/TIGR/Dragunov design which has been in use for what, fifty fucking years?)

Of course, this is also the guy who says that unless you touch your knees when you do situps, or touch the floor when you do pushups, you're not really "doing anything". :roll:

He's said much more stupid, but a lot of it violates laws so I will not post it.
Last edited by Dogan on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:51 pm

I win.

"MG42's are so inaccurate because the ROF is so high. The bullets come out so fast they hit each other and yaw."

Sometimes I miss reenacting. Most of the time I don't. :lol:
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Bunsen wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:HKTD, you’re even more right on than you might know. I don't practice law, but I did go to law school.
I remember in torts class we studied a group of civil law cases that all revolved around the idea of "spring guns". In the field of jurisprudence, a spring gun isn't what you might expect. It's any firearm rigged to fire automatically without any human intervention after setting it up.

Or, more likely, he'll discover that designing and building automated electromechanical systems is difficult even when you're not a flaming moron, and give up. Stupidity does sometimes self-limit before it hits the Darwin threshold.
No shit!!! Well, not surprising-he invented his story, likely stolen from someone else-so, why not the gun concept???
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

Squidi

Post by Squidi » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:59 pm

KnifeStyle wrote: Bullets can be sharpened.-Guy at an anime convention.
I read this a few times. I wonder what he was getting at? Like a point? Like a knife? so they would be more aerodynamic or possibly have great penetration ( because they would "cut" on impact? which of course, they wouldn't). Maybe it was something Black Talon related with the notion that they were AP was popular back then because they would open and cut vests. Pretty sure I've now thought about it longer then he did.

I saw a guy explaining the difference between a clip and a magazine the other day:

"Magazines are for rifles, pistols have clips."

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Post by Smü » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:02 pm

"Here, hold it. It is not loaded."

And from the hunting community: "The bigger the bullet, the less you have to care for precise aiming."
"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:04 pm

TerryGecko wrote:"All you need is a file to make an AK47 full auto. It's so easy."
This is true, i think. But it won't be full auto when you pull the trigger, but when you cycle the action. IIRC some people have died from ND/ADing into parts of themselves filled with blood and arteries and those other things we humans like having INSIDE us, due to them thinking that you have to pull the trigger for the gun to go off, as is usually the case.

it also violates some BATFE laws, I believe.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

jt526

Post by jt526 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:13 pm

HKTackDriver wrote:Sometimes the stupidity of people around firearms is astounding. I mean - MONUMENTALLY braindead astounding. Yesterday I was at my local fun shop and this guy walks in and starts talking about some show he saw on tv and how he's thinking about starting some project using infrared cameras "like in Aliens" to be automated to fire at animals, so when you're hunting, it'll help hunters. When I politely pointed out that an automated system wouldn't be able to tell a 4 legged from 2 legged animal apart, his response was, "why would it matter? Then I can sell it to the military." Really guy? Right after that, pretty much everyone started telling him to leave the R&D to the big boys and that his idea was flawed on many levels. Basically, we shunned him out of the store. After he left, we were all left with the impression that he didn't care whether it killed people or animals, just as long as it worked, it would be a success.

Anyway, I had to share. What are some of the dumb things you've heard people say regarding firearms?
Tell him FN has that in the works. The FN dFendr.

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:18 pm

This weekend, an idiot I find myself hanging out with, continually gives the National Guard a bad name with statements like:

"I've seen transferrable SAWs for $8K"

and continuing with a discussion on M249s...

"We've been using them since Vietnam"

my favorite was: "Motor T and supply companies kill more (enemy) than infantry"

I just smiled and kept drinking my beer.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

AwPhuch

Post by AwPhuch » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:18 pm

LBB wrote:
oldsoldier wrote:Ok, I got this from a kid, in HS, when I was young-mind you, this was mid 80's, and he was a grade or 2 above me, tops.
I read this SciFi book where he got it from.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sten_Adven ... ok_1:_Sten" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think in this book, they have a weapon that shots plastic darts that are made from the magazine.
And if I am wrong, than it's from BattleTech
CyberPunk, or Palladium games...called a needler
http://www.norrkoping.bonet.se/rad/guns/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by AwPhuch on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:19 pm

jt526 wrote:
HKTackDriver wrote:Sometimes the stupidity of people around firearms is astounding. I mean - MONUMENTALLY braindead astounding. Yesterday I was at my local fun shop and this guy walks in and starts talking about some show he saw on tv and how he's thinking about starting some project using infrared cameras "like in Aliens" to be automated to fire at animals, so when you're hunting, it'll help hunters. When I politely pointed out that an automated system wouldn't be able to tell a 4 legged from 2 legged animal apart, his response was, "why would it matter? Then I can sell it to the military." Really guy? Right after that, pretty much everyone started telling him to leave the R&D to the big boys and that his idea was flawed on many levels. Basically, we shunned him out of the store. After he left, we were all left with the impression that he didn't care whether it killed people or animals, just as long as it worked, it would be a success.

Tell him FN has that in the works. The FN dFendr.

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

S. Korea has had an automated Border Defense robot system that can discern people from animals, and can give, and accept responses to, commands. It's armed with an M249. it's been serving actively for over a year. It's made by Samsung 8-) .

http://www.newser.com/story/95480/south ... -kill.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

omega_man wrote:
my favorite was: "Motor T and supply companies kill more (enemy) than infantry"
How? By routing Chicken a la King MRE's and Ham and MF'ers to the enemy?
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”