Neighbors Knowing You Own

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

GP100Wii

Post by GP100Wii » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:27 am

Howdy. I live in a condominium complex. I have to walk out of my car with my cases/bags as I go to the range and back. I clean in front of a window with blinds (ventilation) -- I make sure they're shut but they tend to wave and you never know who might catch a lucky glimpse.

Does anyone worry about people around you knowing you own? (In terms of robbery / burglary / etc). I don't have a full green safe for my two guns -- revolver and rifle. I keep the revolver in a little gunvault safe and I keep the rifle in a locked carrying case (hidden up high).

I get a bit paranoid from time to time.

jrswanson1

Re: Neighbors Knowing You Own

Post by jrswanson1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:35 am

That would depend on where I lived. When I was in an apartment a year ago, I cleaned my ARs and pistols on my balconey. Steel doors on the apartment, safes for the guns, I was set. I now live in a house in a nice neighborhood. I open carry while mowing my lawn.

Jim

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:47 am

An interesting question, as I am moving right now...

So I am moving in with my girlfriend as I have not found a new job yet, and my Tenure at the Observatory ends on the last day of the month. We have some nice neighbors across the street, but they have roommates they are trying to get out that are tweekers and have been causing trouble on the block. The "dude" was sniffing around my front yard while I was cooling off from unloading a bunch of my tools. So I stepped on out with my XD on my belt in plain view, and let him know in no uncertain terms that if anything came up missing, I would not be calling the cops... But would handle it myself...

He now says Yessir-Nosir, and conspicuously does not cross the street. The people he rents from told me he thinks I'm crazy and is pretty damn scared... They thanked me as he has started packing.

Sometimes it's an appropriate response to let your neighbors know... Sometimes it's not.

Did I mention I take no shit from tweekers???
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

shoggoth80
Favorite Zombie Movies: Too many to list in total. The Romero films are classic... but Fido cracks me up!

Post by shoggoth80 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:50 am

Yes, I am concerned with neighbors knowing that I own guns. My old apartment was broken into, and guns were stolen. IF it wasn't a neighbor, it was a friend of a neighbor that said neighbor told. I pack all my range kit into a backpack now... no matter how heavy it gets...so no one can actually see what I am carrying (I used to just carry an ammo can with my assorted rounds... not the brightest thing). The rifles still go into cases... but I tend to leave early, and come back before everyone gets home from work...so I try and plan to minimize the possibility of prying eyes. Of course, a safe with a lot of stuff stacked in front of it helps ease the mind.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:06 am

Back when I lived in the crappy part of town, with my wife and oldest son, I made no secret that there were guns in the house. We had moved in upstairs from a buddy who was an army Infantry vet, and our airsoft team met up at our house several times, with much carrying of cased rifles and field gear while we loaded up.

Pretty sure everyone in a 3 block radius knew we had guns.

Pretty sure none of them wanted to risk being on the wrong side of them if they busted in. YMMV...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

jrswanson1

Post by jrswanson1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:24 am

If you're really concerned, http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=83707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:26 am

GP100Wii wrote:Howdy. I live in a condominium complex. I have to walk out of my car with my cases/bags as I go to the range and back. I clean in front of a window with blinds (ventilation) -- I make sure they're shut but they tend to wave and you never know who might catch a lucky glimpse.

Does anyone worry about people around you knowing you own? (In terms of robbery / burglary / etc). I don't have a full green safe for my two guns -- revolver and rifle. I keep the revolver in a little gunvault safe and I keep the rifle in a locked carrying case (hidden up high).

Lots of people live in similar situations. It's one reason NOT to transport firearms in cases that look like a range bag. You can fit an AR with a 16" barrel in a variety of bags used for other purposes such as a tennis racquet bag, softball equipment bag or even a soft-sided guitar gig bag.

-Jeff
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:33 am

My neighbors probably know because they can hear me shooting my 22. I dont think they are aware of any other guns, though. However, my neighbors on my left and right side are my mom's boyfriend's dad and his aunt/uncle. The next closest person is diagonal from me and probably dont see me taking my guns out of my truck.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:21 pm

jrswanson1 wrote: I now live in a house in a nice neighborhood. I open carry while mowing my lawn.

Jim
Those chinch bugs must be a bitch!
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:38 pm

I live in the woods, and my house can't be seen from the road or from my nearest neighbors...after living like that for 12 years, I don't think I can ever got back to living in a neighborhood...

I know that some of the neighbors are aware that I have firearms, because I sometimes shoot them on our property, or the forest preserve adjoining us...they also see me during hunting seasons with various long guns...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

silversnake

Post by silversnake » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:39 pm

jnathan wrote:
GP100Wii wrote:Howdy. I live in a condominium complex. I have to walk out of my car with my cases/bags as I go to the range and back. I clean in front of a window with blinds (ventilation) -- I make sure they're shut but they tend to wave and you never know who might catch a lucky glimpse.

Lots of people live in similar situations. It's one reason NOT to transport firearms in cases that look like a range bag. You can fit an AR with a 16" barrel in a variety of bags used for other purposes such as a tennis racquet bag, softball equipment bag or even a soft-sided guitar gig bag.

-Jeff
I'm just laughing thinking back a few years when I played tabletop miniatures wargames (40K, Warhammer Fantasy, Flames of War, historicals, etc.) and the fact that the most highly recommended way to transport our miniatures was in pistol and rifle cases from Wallymart. Back then, I would frequently carry a cheap rifle case around town with me that only contained a bunch of metal figures. Pretty much the exact opposite of hiding your rifle in a guitar case. :lol:

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Not crossing the politics line...at all!

A bunch of years ago, I bought an all-weather Tikka T3 hunting rifle...stainless steel and black polymer, bolt-action, in 30.06...I brought a scope for it, and had my friend at the local sporting goods store mount it (he had a laser bore sighting thingy that allowed him to get pretty close with the scope mounting)...I went to go and pick up my rifle without a case (potatohead), and so had to walk back through town to my car...no big except that it was the day that President Bill Clinton came to Saranac Lake to visit... :oops:

I have never been looked at so hard in my life...I'm pretty sure that I got on a couple of lists that day...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:19 pm

If I didn't live in a quaint little retirement neighborhood, surrounded by plenty of cranky old vets--I would be WAAAAY more discreet in my coming and going to the range. All I get from them is; "Hey neighbor, wuddya shootin' today? Give 'em hell!". This scenario is completely dependent on your AO. If I lived somewhere sketchy, replete with tweekers and meth-mouths, I would do everything possible to not let on that I had anything of value--let alone firearms (this means not leaving the box for your new flat screen sitting on the curb).
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Nightwing
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, or Dead Snow

Post by Nightwing » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:43 pm

My neighbor across the street is the only one to notice my rifle cases in and out of the car. He stopped me one day to ask about where I was shooting as the Spokane area has a quite a few locations to shoot at. He also asked what I was shooting, the second one made me a little uncomfortable. I redirected the question and found out that he had a bigger long gun collection then myself but almost no pistols. As it turns out I got a new range buddy that day.
"If you give up your fangs, boy, all you'll ever be is a Sheep." - AnonEmouse

Redemption
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything with Bruce Campbell

Post by Redemption » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:48 pm

Jamie wrote:Not crossing the politics line...at all!

A bunch of years ago, I bought an all-weather Tikka T3 hunting rifle...stainless steel and black polymer, bolt-action, in 30.06...I brought a scope for it, and had my friend at the local sporting goods store mount it (he had a laser bore sighting thingy that allowed him to get pretty close with the scope mounting)...I went to go and pick up my rifle without a case (potatohead), and so had to walk back through town to my car...no big except that it was the day that President Bill Clinton came to Saranac Lake to visit... :oops:

I have never been looked at so hard in my life...I'm pretty sure that I got on a couple of lists that day...

Jamie
Who is this Jamie person? Never seen any Jamie here before.
Must be one of those people that came to learn about prepping for that hurricane that went through New York.

Nothing to see here...
I'm your Huckleberry.

Mr. Warren Peace
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later.. 28 weeks later,

Post by Mr. Warren Peace » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:17 pm

it depends.... :twisted: i never let them know what or how many, but i have entered my home with my 12 gauge slung across my shoulder after a range visit. my message was simple, if you think about entering this home uninvited, you better have good health and life insurance. did i mention i live alone?
"Riddle me this. Riddle me that. Who is afraid of the big black bat?"

Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:21 pm

When I lived in a busy historical downtown area, I was fairly careful about my OC activity and other goings on. Since I bought a house, now you might find me any given time OCing in my yard. You might notice my place by the bumper sticker on my truck that says GUNS SAVE LIVES.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Equuleus

Post by Equuleus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:37 pm

I live in an eight unit condo and have work armed security for years. As we don't have any place to change after work, I don't have a garage, and have known two people to be fired for getting their duty weapons stolen out of their cars, I usually walk from my car to my front door with my duty belt thrown over my shoulder or still around by waist. No one has ever said anything to me so it's never been a problem, but at this point everyone knows I have at least one gun in the house. It's not a big crime area so I haven't been concerned about it but that may change if I move.

wamba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).

Post by wamba » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:04 am

Several of my neighbors know I own guns. The neighbor across the street & I talk hunting (we both noticed each others absence during deer season) & the neighbor down hill from me asked advice about a pistol she owns. I try to keep the exposure to a minimum but I'm sure people have seen odd things carried in or out. I also try to keep the extent of our collection a mystery, I'm sure a good number of the neighbors would freak if they knew we had more than just a deer rifle, shotgun, & plinking pistol. Most of my neighbors are good honest people with a fair number of retirees thrown in who keep a eye on things. My two biggest concerns are a small element of wanna be thugs & I could see a few of the neighbors freaking out at the sight of anything black with a pistol grip, they may decide that the EBR will influence me to go on a rampage. :roll:
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

txKingfisher
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, I am Legend, Shaun of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by txKingfisher » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:41 pm

My neighbors know I have guns. They dont know how many guns I have though.
I O/C from time to time when i'm working in the yard and around the house.
My neighbor (the wife) mentioned that her husband used to have a gun to deal with coyotes, raccoons, etc. messing with their chickens. I offered one of my beater guns for them to hold on to if he wanted something to protect his chickens again (and by his chickens I meant my house!) So far they havent come over to claim it..... :(

I live in a tiny group of houses down a 5 mile ling private dirt road through 3 cattle gaurds. I would take a drastically different approach to things if I lived in the OP's situation.
TEAM GREENWIRE

Talon04

Post by Talon04 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:44 pm

I live in a large apartment complex and it bugs me since you really can't trust anyone anymore it seems. Plus the guy who lives in the first apartment seems to have a issue with everyone about everything so yeah it kinda worries me a bit.
brothaman wrote: They ARE super simple. I built mine from pins and springs with a meat mallet, a bamboo skewer, a flat screwdriver, and a 2 inch piece of painters tape. I felt like I was freaking MacGuyver.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:58 pm

I live in a poor section of our small town now next to some "interesting" people. All they would have seen is the NRA bumper sticker on my car and the other sticker on my front door. I also clearly look like someone with nothing remotely worth stealing.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:03 pm

Thankfully I live in an apartment complex that has the doors on the inside of the building and people can't tell what unit I live in. I am in a very bad part of town (soup kitchen across the street and a meth clinic a few blocks down), but it's a nice apartment complex, a very strange mixture.

Anyway, the good thing is that about a two days of the week I work from home all day, and the times I'm not here all day, I'm in and out at random times. I never carry my guns openly, they're always in a gun/range bag of some sort, so people don't know what or how many. Some people here know I have firearms, but they don't know where I live.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:50 pm

silversnake wrote:
I'm just laughing thinking back a few years when I played tabletop miniatures wargames (40K, Warhammer Fantasy, Flames of War, historicals, etc.) and the fact that the most highly recommended way to transport our miniatures was in pistol and rifle cases from Wallymart. Back then, I would frequently carry a cheap rifle case around town with me that only contained a bunch of metal figures. Pretty much the exact opposite of hiding your rifle in a guitar case. :lol:
Haha, I'm know exactly what you're talking about as the case I kept my painted D&D miniature figures in was a pick-and-pluck hard plastic case that would have been fine for transporting a firearm.

It might come down to the stickers and patches you keep on the thing. In which case, I revise my earlier statement by adding a suggestion to add stickers and/or patches to your covert carry bag.

-Jeff
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”