All Purpose Optics and Mounts Thread

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: All Purpose Optics and Mounts Thread

Post by KentsOkay » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Can you use a variable optic with a fixed front sight? My guess is no...
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:45 pm

You can, depending on the mount. With something like a Larue SPR, at low powers you'll get a ghost image of the front sight that can be annoying. At higher mag you won't even see that.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:40 pm

KentsOkay wrote:Can you use a variable optic with a fixed front sight? My guess is no...
With mine I either just barely see the top of the FSP, or at 2x (because of height) it's gone.

Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Hello all, tagging in for a bit of help in deciding upon an optic to mount upon the top of my 870 (Searched the thread without anything which applied).

I'm completely new to the optics game, so any help would be appreciated.

Deciding factors:
870 Wingmaster.
Receiver mounted picatinny rail.
12 and 24 inch barrels (will get an 18 inch eventually).
AR stock/grip.
Price range; cheaper is better, but I don't want crap (it's a shotgun, will mostly be used for buck and slugs).
I don't need multiple colours/reticles, but if it comes with them, great.
I would prefer to be able to support the local stores if I can, but the local stores selection sucks. Will order online if price/availability makes it necessary.

What I've come across locally:
The Bushnell Trophy line is available at one store, all under $140 (TRS and Multi-Reticle at $110). I would consider Bushnell a reputable company in optics, but correct me if I'm wrong. If all things considered equal, I would lean towards the 1x25 as it has the multi coloured reticle in a smaller package. If I were not interested in green dot options, the TRS is a nice compact package, in red dot only.

I have also looked at the TruGlo line. Now don't jump down my throat, I'm skeptical of them too. Reviews online, either YouTube or on retail sites, appear to be written by plinkers and mall ninjas. The advantage this brand has, is that they offer lifetime warranty. If the optic turns out to be crap on a shotgun, I will trade it in for a new model, and put it on a .22.

Outside of these options, I don't know what I'm looking at and locally my options are limited. There are a few NCstar optics kicking around, which I wouldn't pay half of what they sell for. Or there's the opposite side of the coin which is EOtech, far outside my price range, at least for a shotgun at this time.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:43 pm

BullOnParade wrote:Hello all, tagging in for a bit of help in deciding upon an optic to mount upon the top of my 870 (Searched the thread without anything which applied).

I'm completely new to the optics game, so any help would be appreciated.

Deciding factors:
870 Wingmaster.
Receiver mounted picatinny rail.
12 and 24 inch barrels (will get an 18 inch eventually).
AR stock/grip.
Price range; cheaper is better, but I don't want crap (it's a shotgun, will mostly be used for buck and slugs).
I don't need multiple colours/reticles, but if it comes with them, great.
I would prefer to be able to support the local stores if I can, but the local stores selection sucks. Will order online if price/availability makes it necessary.

What I've come across locally:
The Bushnell Trophy line is available at one store, all under $140 (TRS and Multi-Reticle at $110). I would consider Bushnell a reputable company in optics, but correct me if I'm wrong. If all things considered equal, I would lean towards the 1x25 as it has the multi coloured reticle in a smaller package. If I were not interested in green dot options, the TRS is a nice compact package, in red dot only.

I have also looked at the TruGlo line. Now don't jump down my throat, I'm skeptical of them too. Reviews online, either YouTube or on retail sites, appear to be written by plinkers and mall ninjas. The advantage this brand has, is that they offer lifetime warranty. If the optic turns out to be crap on a shotgun, I will trade it in for a new model, and put it on a .22.

Outside of these options, I don't know what I'm looking at and locally my options are limited. There are a few NCstar optics kicking around, which I wouldn't pay half of what they sell for. Or there's the opposite side of the coin which is EOtech, far outside my price range, at least for a shotgun at this time.
Burris speedbead? A shotgun-specific mount designed to optimize the Fastfire for scattergats.

~sent via spacearmadillogram~

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:54 pm

Im with Doc on that one. Unless its for slug's and deer hunting then a small magnification scope like a 1 to 3 may be better , but from what you told us it isn't so go with the the speed bead its nice.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:00 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Burris speedbead? A shotgun-specific mount designed to optimize the Fastfire for scattergats.

Sorry, should have specified high tube AR stock, which makes the standard bead site useless (a fact I wish I'd known before investing), and forcing me to get an electric optic. Is the speedbead the same as the fastfire then, just with a special mount (quick Google says yes)? That is one option, and I believe I've seen it locally.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

TDW586

Post by TDW586 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:19 pm

Yes, but I don't know if there's a mount for a high tube AR stock.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:20 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Burris speedbead? A shotgun-specific mount designed to optimize the Fastfire for scattergats.

Sorry, should have specified high tube AR stock, which makes the standard bead site useless (a fact I wish I'd known before investing), and forcing me to get an electric optic. Is the speedbead the same as the fastfire then, just with a special mount (quick Google says yes)? That is one option, and I believe I've seen it locally.
Yeah, the speedbead is just s specialized mount for the Fastfire.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/speedbead.html

They even have risers availible. Other options include any of the Aimpoints, with requisite rails.

A Pimp Named Slickback
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Pimp Named Slickback » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:44 pm

anyone run a primary arms 1x4 scope?
crypto wrote:
A Pimp Named Slickback wrote:
Oneswunk wrote:Save a horse refuse to hold a cowgirls hand until you are engaged
I hate you guys sometimes
FTFY
FTFY.

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:12 pm

So, Botach has a huge sale on this new 1X Elcan optic:

http://www.botachtactical.com/elcanspecterrd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only review I could find was here and it wasn't that thorough:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=50917" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And then it all comes back to here:

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 16&t=68173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was under the impression that Elcan was good-to-go, if a bit oddball, and probably heavy. I briefly contemplated getting one just for a comparison test against the Aimpoint Micro and EOTech EXPS, but I don't have time for that and can't really justify spending even 300 bucks on an optic I don't really need.

Does anyone know anything else about these, or have any opinions?
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:34 am

Anybody have anything good or bad to say about 1970's vintage Leupold M8 4x33 rifle scopes? Found one on eBay for a good price and I'm thinking of grabbing it to throw on a 70's Ruger M77 in .30-'06. Figure it will make a pretty awesome throwback Pennsylvania deer rifle that way.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu May 02, 2013 5:47 am

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/0 ... ore-223799" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New from Trijicon: VCOG 1-6×24

Holy crap! DO WANT DO WANT VERY BAD. These are supposed to be under a grand too, wow.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

TDW586

Post by TDW586 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:20 am

Regular Guy wrote:http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/0 ... ore-223799

Holy crap! DO WANT DO WANT VERY BAD. These are supposed to be under a grand too, wow.
Oh, oh yes. Do want, do want very much.

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu May 02, 2013 8:52 am

Nice.

Botach canceled my Elcan order saying they didn't have any in stock, which doesn't really make me cry because I didn't really want to put a big, ugly optic on my big ugly Sig 556 so much as re-appropriate the Aimpoint Micro to my AK. That, and I'm just sad because I'm a bargain whore.

So, I guess we'll just have to watch elsewhere for emerging tests from whoever bought these.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat May 04, 2013 12:18 am

Guess again....

MSRP is $2270.00. Street price will likely be around $1700-$1800, and then only after it's been out for a while.

No fiber optic, no Tritum. Battery illumination only. Huh? Is this a Trijicon?

23 ounces, without mount or battery. BDC.

No, thanks. I'll keep my TR24, Vortex, and my VX-6's.

TDW586

Post by TDW586 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:11 am

Well that makes me very sad.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat May 04, 2013 9:21 am

400 Grains wrote:

Guess again....

MSRP is $2270.00. Street price will likely be around $1700-$1800, and then only after it's been out for a while.
No need to guess. TTAG reported it as being under a grand. It's now on Trijicon site for $2270, TTAG yo' mis'rep'pre'sentin'.

I haz sad.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

WRKNMAN

Post by WRKNMAN » Sat May 04, 2013 10:40 am

I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been covered. I'm almost done with my shotgun build I am putting on folding sights, but I need some input on optics. It's really just a fun mall ninja not really practical build but none the less I've never put optics on a shotgun. What would you guys suggest

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Sat May 04, 2013 10:52 am

The Burris Speed Bead is a red dot for shotguns. They make a mount for the optic that goes between the receiver and stock.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-spee ... 04155100:s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a link i think they go for $200 USD and up depending on what all ya want.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat May 04, 2013 10:56 am

Regular Guy wrote:
400 Grains wrote:

Guess again....

No need to guess. TTAG reported it as being under a grand. It's now on Trijicon site for $2270, TTAG yo' mis'rep'pre'sentin'.
I didn't see that. I saw this in the article on TTAG.
These are the first variable power scopes with ballistic compensated reticles that Trijicon has offered, and comes on the heels of their recently introduced TARS scopes while being priced at about $1,000 less.
The TARS scope msrp is $3990.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat May 04, 2013 11:15 am

Well, I readnthat very wrong. Welp, I'm sticking with Leupold.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat May 04, 2013 11:50 am

Regular Guy wrote:Welp, I'm sticking with Leupold.
Me too.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat May 04, 2013 11:51 am

TDW586 wrote:Well that makes me very sad.
Yup. All I wanted was a 1-6X TR24 with a better reticle.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”