It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:26 pm 

DOJ BATFE FINAL RULE 1/4/2016

Still trying to understand the legalese, but looks like you may not need a trust for NFA weapon builds or transfers anymore.
Even though it may be the better idea to have one. Estate executors for the deceased are not considered a transfer anymore, beneficiaries no longer have to pay a transfer tax, CLEO signoffs are no longer part of the process.

:shock:

This final rule was signed by the Attorney General on January 4, 2016. It is effective 180 days
after date of publication in the Federal Register. The final rule published in the Federal Register
may differ slightly from this version as a result of Federal Register formatting.

SUMMARY: The Department of Justice is amending the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol,
Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) regarding the making or transferring of a firearm
under the National Firearms Act (NF A). This final rule defines the term "responsible person," as
used in reference to a trust, partnership, association, company, or corporation; requires
responsible persons of such trusts or legal entities to complete a specified form and to submit
photographs and fingerprints when the trust or legal entity files an application to make an NF A
firearm or is listed as the transferee on an application to transfer an NF A firearm; requires that a
copy of all applications to make or transfer a firearm, and the specified form for responsible
persons, as applicable, be forwarded to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of the locality
in which the applicant/transferee or responsible person is located; and eliminates the requirement
for a certification signed by the CLEO. These provisions provide a public safety benefit as they
ensure that responsible persons undergo background checks. In addition, this final rule adds a
new section to ATF' s regulations to address the possession and transfer of firearms registered to
a decedent. The new section clarifies that the executor, administrator, personal representative, or
other person authorized under State law to dispose of property in an estate may possess a firearm
registered to a decedent during the term of probate without such possession being treated as a
''transfer" under the NFA. It also specifies that the transfer of the frrearm to any beneficiary of
the estate may be made on a tax-exempt basis.

The rest is here:

https://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/294684691?access_key=key-6xP0kPz5c3zaf7aEXrVW&allow_share=true&escape=false&view_mode=scroll

Haven't read the whole thing yet, just downloaded it from Scribed, but wouldn't it be nice if suppressors were removed from the NFA list too?

Image ImageImageImageImage

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:06 pm 

First NFA thread post.
Just ordered two cans with my new NFA trust via Silencer Shop. Really nice people btw.
First NFA items!! :clap: :clap:
I ordered a:

Gemtech GM-45 w/ 1/2"-28 TPI
All my pistols 22lr up to .45ACP

YHM Stainless Steel Phantom 7.62 w/ 5/8"-24 TPI
Rifles up to 7.62x51

5/8"-24 to 1/2"-28 TPI Adapter
So the Phantom will mount on my Tavor or AR.

My question is: if I want to use the GM-45 for 22lr will it work? I want to mount it on a Walther P22 with a threaded barrel. I have recently been told that even with the LID removed and replaced with a spacer the GM-45 won't work on the P22 for some reason. Any ideas why?

I also have a Ruger Mk III with a tapered barrel but it is not threaded. I'm considering trading/upgrading to a Ruger 22/45 with a factory threaded barrel.

If money becomes a bit looser I will get a dedicated 22 can. Which model would you recommend for under $350?

I also want to thread the barrel on my Ruger 10/22. Would you recommend I buy a new pre threaded barrel or send the current one to a reputable gunsmith/machine shop for threading? If so which barrel or machine shop?

Long term I'm considering an integrally threaded 10/22 with stainless steel barrel and receiver with a composite stock. Also an integrally suppressed bull barrel Ruger pistol.

And now the long wait...

Bearcat wrote:
I think it looks sick. I will definitely get one sometime down the road.

RIP Pat HK33K
ZS Fleet #0039 & 0044
When you need it, and don't have it, you sing a different tune.-Burt Gummer
Catch you f***ers at a bad time? –Abraham Whistler
My blog: http://omega-storm.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:15 pm 

Another question. This is regarding 41P. The responsible parties that will need fingerprints and photos after June are only the trustees right? I made my mom the successor trustee as there are literally no trustworthy adults within three hours of where I live. She is retired, hates leaving her home, and thinks guns are mostly a waste of money to say nothing of NFA items. Will the successor trustee be considered a 'responsible party'? And therefore need to be printed and photographed?

I believe I can change the successor trustee in Missouri if it's a problem. I'm the grantor and my wife and I are the trustees and my minor kids are the beneficiaries.

Bearcat wrote:
I think it looks sick. I will definitely get one sometime down the road.

RIP Pat HK33K
ZS Fleet #0039 & 0044
When you need it, and don't have it, you sing a different tune.-Burt Gummer
Catch you f***ers at a bad time? –Abraham Whistler
My blog: http://omega-storm.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:14 pm 

Wow.

June 15, 2016 purchased YHM Phantom QD from SilencerShop, who Form 3'd it to my FFL [trying to get one last NFA item on old rules trust, cut off was July 13th.]
July 7, 2016 Form 4 submitted to NFA Branch.
April 2017 called NFA Branch to check status, still pending, they said running 10 months.
June 7, 2017 Form 4 approved.
NFA Branch says up to 30 more days for stamp to arrive at FFL.

That could be 13 months and a NEW PERSONAL BEST, OLYMPIC RECORD, AND WORLD RECORD wait time for an NFA item. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:40 am 

So my stamp is lost in the mail and I had to request a copy be sent out. Today is 13 months since purchase and 12 months 1 weeks since form 4 submission.

Other news
The SHUSH act.

http://www.guns.com/2017/07/05/lawmakers-introduce-shush-act-to-classify-suppressors-as-gun-accessory/

guns.com wrote:

[...]
The Hearing Protection Act, currently with 154 co-sponsors, would eliminate the $200 transfer tax on suppressors by dropping them from NFA rules, but still requires they should be transferred through federal firearms licensees after a background check, regulating them as firearms. Both bills provide for a refund on tax stamps bought since Oct. 22, 2015.

[...]
Gun control advocates, who are opposed to the Hearing Protection Act, immediately slammed the new proposal.

The bill would end the federal requirement for background checks on firearm silencer sales, and make it legal for convicted felons, domestic abusers, and the dangerously mentally ill to buy and possess silencers,” said Everytown in a statement. “To the satisfaction of NRA headquarters, the legislation would profit gun manufacturers, who could mass market firearm silencers at the expense of public safety.”

triggered without knowledge.

1. background check for silencers is in place under the act. Can't they read?

2. its illegal for convicted felons to own guns so even if it were the case that they could own a supressor, what would they put it on?? As for DAs and MIs, unfortunately they are still innocent until convicted of a crime.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:51 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Would a tennis racket, affixed to a AR pistol, be considered a brace due to not being designed to shoulder, or a stock due to "redesign" reasons?

In all honesty I'll probably just wrap the buffer tube to look like a racket handle for the sake of the joke, but still. Inquiring minds want ZS's educated opinion.

Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:11 am 

Dogan wrote:
Would a tennis racket, affixed to a AR pistol, be considered a brace due to not being designed to shoulder, or a stock due to "redesign" reasons?

In all honesty I'll probably just wrap the buffer tube to look like a racket handle for the sake of the joke, but still. Inquiring minds want ZS's educated opinion.

Opinion: as long as it doesn't have a vertical drop on it that is thicker than the thickest poly blade or brace that is currently legal and sold commercially in the market, then its just a wrap. But if you have the head of the racket at the rear, and permanently affixed, that'd probably be a stock not a brace and therefore a rifle made from a pistol.

Also try a sword hilt, handle and pommel for kicks. For when you run out of ammo in the PAW. Put a bayonet on it and viola. Swing away.

If you're just effin' around for a party or something you can get replica airsoft AR's for ~$25 and mess them up legally all day long. And you don't have to worry about 'em at the events as they are disposable really.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47