All purpose NFA questions thread

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Re: All purpose NFA questions thread

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:32 pm

eeb wrote:So you're saying if I got clean prints and can get miss CLEO to sign off there'll prolly be a glut of cheap used suppressors on the market soon? If I can find anything to shoot through it.
Perhaps. Some CLEOs just won't sign off on anything, which to me is the main reason to do a trust in the first place. I'm honestly not sure if I'll have to move mine to retain possession or what.

I personally wouldn't mind having mine in personal ownership, it's just the ridiculous CLEO signature thing that keeps me from doing it. Even moreso, are they going to go back and demand that everyone that currently owns an NFA item send that in and basically redo the entire process? Makes me wonder how this is even going to work. The backlog would literally be YEARS.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:58 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:
eeb wrote:So you're saying if I got clean prints and can get miss CLEO to sign off there'll prolly be a glut of cheap used suppressors on the market soon? If I can find anything to shoot through it.
Perhaps. Some CLEOs just won't sign off on anything, which to me is the main reason to do a trust in the first place. I'm honestly not sure if I'll have to move mine to retain possession or what.

I personally wouldn't mind having mine in personal ownership, it's just the ridiculous CLEO signature thing that keeps me from doing it. Even moreso, are they going to go back and demand that everyone that currently owns an NFA item send that in and basically redo the entire process? Makes me wonder how this is even going to work. The backlog would literally be YEARS.
My main reason was estate planning. Skipping the week and the hassle of fingerprints was a side bonus, as was the eventual option of being able to have other members of the trust possess the items. Other benefit was being able to add a trustee who could pick up stuff for the trust. I was planning on having my old man start shopping for a Mac 10 or Uzi for me while I do some traveling. All completely legal, and being able to set money in the trust for him to shop with would simplify things legally.

However, this present a problem for anyone trying to use a trust to avoid having to will NFA items to their children and wait the 30-60 days for a Form 5 to clear. Under the proposed definition, anyone with minors as beneficiaries or successor trustees would be prohibited from purchasing firearms of any sort within the trust, as the form 4 and form 1 do not allow minors.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:27 pm

thesupremeking wrote:http://thehill.com/blogs/regwatch/pendi ... ntrol-rule

Say goodbye to your NFA trust.
Here's the actual proposed rule.

Kinda cuts the middle man out of the deal if everyone can just read it for themselves.

ATF - Background Checks for a Responsible Person of a Corporation, Trust or Other Legal Entity (*Click*)

I'm not saying that you're right or wrong, it's just wait and see at this point though.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:58 pm

I'm advising someone I know to submit their tax stamp on Tuesday. Also, I'm planning to update my trust this week to only include individuals who also own NFA items themselves.

Shiny .44
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead,Land of the Dead,Resident Evil movies,and Walking Dead

Post by Shiny .44 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:08 pm

Would a bipod not grip-pod on an ar pistol be considered a sbr/aow?

50calray

Post by 50calray » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:08 pm

What's the rules on storing detachable Suppressors?

I'm thinking about buying a Suppressor for my AR but will probably not store them together. I travel a lot and will most likely leave the suppressor locked up at home sometimes as apposed to dealing with a lot of travel paper work. My wife will be home and listed on the trust/Corp etc. So it will be secured as well as someone able to watch over it. Is this acceptable?

Thanks

eeb

Post by eeb » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:24 pm

Shiny .44 wrote:Would a bipod not grip-pod on an ar pistol be considered a sbr/aow?
How about a bipod on a conventional pistol? I could use a sandbag or pistol rest, but a bipod seems easier to transport and generally less of a hassle to deal with, especially with rails being so common on modern pistols.

BTW without a buttstock it wouldn't be an SBR, IDK about an AOW
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Shiny .44 wrote:Would a bipod not grip-pod on an ar pistol be considered a sbr/aow?
You can bipod a pistol since they are not considered grips. Do not put a grip pod on you pistol, it's primary function is a grip thus creating a AOW. Don't get a felony over a grip pod.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:14 pm

50calray wrote:What's the rules on storing detachable Suppressors?

I'm thinking about buying a Suppressor for my AR but will probably not store them together. I travel a lot and will most likely leave the suppressor locked up at home sometimes as apposed to dealing with a lot of travel paper work. My wife will be home and listed on the trust/Corp etc. So it will be secured as well as someone able to watch over it. Is this acceptable?

Thanks
You can store a NFA item at your primary residence without a trust. IF it's in your house, you're golden. You can't leave it with someone else nor can you loan it out. But inside your house, even if it's your wife at home you don't need a trust. The stamp is enough. If you just want the trust fine but all NFA items held at the primary residence are considered within your control.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Avicennasis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Avicennasis » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:07 pm

Ok, Sorry if this has been answered before (I did try a quick search, I swear!):

What does the ATF consider 'making' in regards to firearms? Ordering the part, or the actual physical work?

My example is - If I get a tax stamp to turn an existing rifle I already own into a SBR, since I lack the parts+skill to cut the barrel myself, can I have a local gunsmith do it for me? If so, does the gunsmith need a certain type of FFL?
FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF-DTRT

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:13 pm

Avicennasis wrote:Ok, Sorry if this has been answered before (I did try a quick search, I swear!):

What does the ATF consider 'making' in regards to firearms? Ordering the part, or the actual physical work?

My example is - If I get a tax stamp to turn an existing rifle I already own into a SBR, since I lack the parts+skill to cut the barrel myself, can I have a local gunsmith do it for me? If so, does the gunsmith need a certain type of FFL?
As long as it's just the barrel, yeah a local FFL can do it. If it's just the barrel, even a machinist without an FFL can do it. This assumes that the barrel is not the registered/serialized portion of the firearm.

50calray

Post by 50calray » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:17 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:
50calray wrote:What's the rules on storing detachable Suppressors?

Thanks
You can store a NFA item at your primary residence without a trust. IF it's in your house, you're golden. You can't leave it with someone else nor can you loan it out. But inside your house, even if it's your wife at home you don't need a trust. The stamp is enough. If you just want the trust fine but all NFA items held at the primary residence are considered within your control.
Thanks,

I'm going to work on this once we get moved and settled into our new home.

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 am

I'm rewriting my trust(s) to include three parties only, and to only include folks who are either NFA item owners themselves, or close shooting buddies. People I know would be willing to do the background check thing with me.

Rough.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Filed one Form 1 stamp today, and doing two more tom.

The ATF Online E-Forms make it pretty easy. I was able to use Firefox too instead of the recommended Exploder.

I regret not doing these earlier, as I doubt I'm going to have the extra 2k in the next 89 days for the 3 cans I want.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:38 pm

My SBR stamp arrived today. A day before this government shutdown crap hits. Excellent timing! :awesome:

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Nice. It'll be interesting to see how this shutdown affects processing times.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

eeb

Post by eeb » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:27 pm

I hear the NICS is still working for firearms transfers, how about NFA?
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

UndeadInfidel

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:33 pm

eeb wrote:I hear the NICS is still working for firearms transfers, how about NFA?
I heard the same about NICS. I heard the NFA examiners are furloughed. I always suppose we could call the NFA hotline and just ask.

K&E ARMS

Post by K&E ARMS » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:39 am

UndeadInfidel wrote:
eeb wrote:I hear the NICS is still working for firearms transfers, how about NFA?
I heard the same about NICS. I heard the NFA examiners are furloughed. I always suppose we could call the NFA hotline and just ask.

They are non functional. Really not much of a change:grin:

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Hate to be the dick that asks a question answered on page one, but forgive me for not hunting through the 40pages.

How much (ballpark) does it cost to get a lawyer to do a trust (I'm in CO if it matters).

Forward thinking for a suppressor or two and maybe an sbr. (dammit)
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:07 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Hate to be the dick that asks a question answered on page one, but forgive me for not hunting through the 40pages.

How much (ballpark) does it cost to get a lawyer to do a trust (I'm in CO if it matters).

Option 1: use a Quicken or other easy trust. Usually under $100. Several people have gone thus route with no problem.

Option two: price out area lawyers. Usually $300 or more.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:36 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Hate to be the dick that asks a question answered on page one, but forgive me for not hunting through the 40pages.

Wait and see what happens after December 1st when the proposed rule change comment period closes.

JustAnotherSnakeCult

Post by JustAnotherSnakeCult » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:32 pm

If I form 1 a coach gun do I have to physically cutoff the barrels when the form 1 comes back or can my engraver do it (with me there)?

shiddymunkie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by shiddymunkie » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:21 am

PM sent.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”