It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:18 pm 

No, I will not be the one answering questions, but my idea for this thread is to consolidate all of the NFA questions I keep seeing to one thread for my own education and as a resource for others.

My first question is about Form 1 paperwork for an SBR build: In the "serial number" box, do I put the serial of the lower that I am building my SBR upon or a custom serial number that I have engraved on the lower?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:29 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Did you create this thread because you are incredibly lazy and just don't want to google the answers for yourself? Don't you work for a class III dealer?

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:30 pm 

If you have a current firearm, enter the existing number into the field. Do not alter that number.

Reference: http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf Page 3, part 2i.

Here is a link to a bunch of ATF forms, most of which have great guidance. http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/

If you wanted to have a custom serial number on an SBR, I think the best way is to buy your rifle receiver with the custom serial number already on it, then you have the serial number you want.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:31 pm 

DavePAL84 wrote:
Did you create this thread because you are incredibly lazy and just don't want to google the answers for yourself? Don't you work for a class III dealer?

No I created it so that questions could be answered and all stay in the same place. I'm sure every question in the "help me build my AR thread" could be answered through google too.

1) Yes, I work for a class III dealer. Does that mean everyone in the store knows every detail? No. About 2 people who are never there know shit about class III

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:34 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Biggin wrote:
DavePAL84 wrote:

No I created it so that questions could be answered and all stay in the same place. I'm sure every question in the "help me build my AR thread" could be answered through google too.

Little harsh. :|
I'm no one but I think it's a good thread. People are going to have questions, if the folks here can answer, so be it. There are much worse threads. I'll have questions coming up, I work right next to the ATF, so I'm might be able to ask them on behalf of others or at least get the proper place to go look.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:36 pm 

Biggin wrote:
Yes, I work for a class III dealer. Does that mean everyone in the store knows every detail? No. About 2 people who are never there know shit about class III

Which dealer? I'd like to know so that I can make sure and never give them any of my business.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:38 pm 

agent-smith wrote:
Biggin wrote:
Yes, I work for a class III dealer. Does that mean everyone in the store knows every detail? No. About 2 people who are never there know shit about class III

Which dealer? I'd like to know so that I can make sure and never give them any of my business.

We normally refer people to a guy down the road that does nothing but class III anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:41 pm 

I love that we can't even try to make a useful thread on ZS without 3 of 4 replies being flames. Maybe I should just make a new thread every time I have a question about something NFA related instead?

On a more serious note, if I legally purchase a suppressor for a caliber that I have more then one gun chambered in, can I use it on all of them or is the suppressor registered to a specific gun/serial number?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:42 pm 

Liff wrote:
If you have a current firearm, enter the existing number into the field. Do not alter that number.

Here is a link to a bunch of ATF forms, most of which have great guidance. http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/

If you wanted to have a custom serial number on an SBR, I think the best way is to buy your rifle receiver with the custom serial number already on it, then you have the serial number you want.

Thanks Liff. I got one of the ZS lowers so it's already got a custom serial on it. I will just keep that one and have it registered as SBR.

I'm sorry. I am green on this subject and there aren't many local resources in town and I would rather not just have someone do it all for me and not retain a bit of knowledge. I also don't want to fuck something up and turn a 5 month process into a year long process.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:49 pm 

Good form Biggin growing the community knowledge is always a good thing man... I am with you on this one

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:49 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I have a question about suppressors.

I'm planning on buying a Nagant revolver for the purpose of putting a suppressor on it. I know I'll have to fill out some ATF forms and pay an NFA tax, but my main question is who makes a good quality suppressor for the Nagant revolver ?

Also which companies make the best suppressors and which ones should I avoid ?

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:50 pm 

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:
I love that we can't even try to make a useful thread on ZS without 3 of 4 replies being flames. Maybe I should just make a new thread every time I have a question about something NFA related instead?

On a more serious note, if I legally purchase a suppressor for a caliber that I have more then one gun chambered in, can I use it on all of them or is the suppressor registered to a specific gun/serial number?

Like I have said, I am a noob to Class III but it is my understanding that each suppressor is serialized individually and not linked to any one weapon.

So I would say yes, you can use your suppressor on any gun it fits on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:53 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Geez, can't even bust on biggin a little bit without people getting all boo-hoo about it? :mrgreen:

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Civilian Scout wrote:
No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:59 pm 

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:

There are no restrictions on which firearm the suppressor is mounted to. If you have 10 different firearms in the same caliber, the suppressor can be mounted on any or all of these firearms.

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I'm planning on buying a Nagant revolver for the purpose of putting a suppressor on it. I know I'll have to fill out some ATF forms and pay an NFA tax, but my main question is who makes a good quality suppressor for the Nagant revolver ?

Bad idea on suppressing a revolver. The gas and sound will come out of the gap between the cylinder and the barrel.

I do not know of anyone who makes a revolver suppressor, mostly because there are so few revolvers out there that have the ability to thread the barrel.

As to which companies make the "best" suppressors, they are all about the same. I own 12 suppressors from Gemtech, AWC, KAC, and a Tactical Innovations. I do not think there is a "best" suppressor company out there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:01 pm 

Liff wrote:
Bad idea on suppressing a revolver. The gas and sound will come out of the gap between the cylinder and the barrel.

Normally I'd agree, however the Nagant revolver has an enclosed chamber design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:04 pm 

Liff wrote:
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:

There are no restrictions on which firearm the suppressor is mounted to. If you have 10 different firearms in the same caliber, the suppressor can be mounted on any or all of these firearms.

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I do not know of anyone who makes a revolver suppressor, mostly because there are so few revolvers out there that have the ability to thread the barrel.

As to which companies make the "best" suppressors, they are all about the same. I own 12 suppressors from Gemtech, AWC, KAC, and a Tactical Innovations. I do not think there is a "best" suppressor company out there.

Pretty much the only reason to own a Nagant revolver is BECAUSE they are one of the only revolvers that CAN be suppressed. They have a gas-seal mechanism and use special rounds that make this possible. There is a video up on youtube of one with an AAC 9mm suppressor on it. Sounds quieter than a capgun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:12 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

AKFTW wrote:

Pretty much the only reason to own a Nagant revolver is BECAUSE they are one of the only revolvers that CAN be suppressed. They have a gas-seal mechanism and use special rounds that make this possible. There is a video up on youtube of one with an AAC 9mm suppressor on it. Sounds quieter than a capgun.

That pretty much the only reason I've even considering purchasing a Nagant again.

So a 9mm suppressor would work on the Nagant ? That saves me a lot of trouble actually.

Thanks, guys.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:15 pm 

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
AKFTW wrote:

That pretty much the only reason I've even considering purchasing a Nagant again.

So a 9mm suppressor would work on the Nagant ? That saves me a lot of trouble actually.

Thanks, guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0

Here's the vid, it's actually a YHM Cobra 9mm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:15 pm 

I want to play with all the cool toys but I live in Illinois. It looks like only class 9 destructive devices are aloud here. What are class 9 DD's?

Jeriah wrote:
you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:17 pm 

Awesome. I thought I would be answering a lot of questions and here I am learning. You guys rule.

The interwebs say this revolver uses a 7.62x38R round, so yeah, any 9mm can that threads on to the barrel would work well.

Edit: I have no idea on Class 9 stuff. I saw it may be things like flash-bangs, but that stuff isn't all that fun anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:21 pm 

i hate all purpose threads :evil:

my blog: GarandThumb.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:36 pm 

Finch wrote:

Well I hate people that hate all purpose threads! :evil:

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:40 pm 

Greg Focker wrote:
Finch wrote:

Well I hate people that hate all purpose threads! :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:15 pm 

Biggin wrote:
Liff wrote:

Thanks Liff. I got one of the ZS lowers so it's already got a custom serial on it. I will just keep that one and have it registered as SBR.

I'm sorry. I am green on this subject and there aren't many local resources in town and I would rather not just have someone do it all for me and not retain a bit of knowledge. I also don't want to fuck something up and turn a 5 month process into a year long process.

Don't you still have some engraving to do? Your name (as manufacturer), etc?

"The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model,
and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon. The
marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to
section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.
"

source: chapter 6
http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next