Had a disappointing day at the range.....

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Had a disappointing day at the range.....

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:16 pm

So, I wanna sight in my MSAR with it's EOtech on top. I'm plugging away and it's shooting very well and I'm pleased with it's sight in. Then the batteries die in the EOTech. No problem, I'll put in the batteries that are in the buttstock. Nope, didn't get around to doing that yet. Damn it. I put some in when I got home as well as swapped out the dead ones.
So I flip up the back up sights and get down. No problem.
Pleased, I put away the MSAR and grab my DPMS AR-10. I fire a few rounds and I have a FTF. WTH? No round in the chamber. Rack again. More FTF. WTH!!!! I switch mags and the gun starts cugging. The mag was a DPMS factory mag causing all the problems with FTF. It's getting sent back.
So, then I grab the surplus stuff and start getting failures to chamber. WTH! Rounds going in but not completely chambering. Bull! The surplus ammo I got is junk and my DPMS isn't having it. Damn it. Well, I got the scope sighted in and the irons there too but at least 1/3 of this ammo wil not chamber in my rifle. Crap.
So I get home and try the ammo in my Savage Scout, no go. Bolt will not close on 1/2 the rounds. So, now I have about 150 rds that will not cycle in any gun I own. Well, fuck.
Made a man date to go to my buddies house and test the other ammo I have for my DPMS and see what works and what doesn't. Wolf works, Georgia Arms works, my reloads work, this Brazilian surplus, big no go. I'm also going to try my other DPMS factory mag to see if it's got issues too. C-Products and Magpul work just fine.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Boris

Re: Had a disappointing day at the range.....

Post by Boris » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:19 pm

At least these things happened during practice, not when it counted.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Teddy Roosevelt

Alpha-17
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Afterlife
28 Weeks Later

Post by Alpha-17 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Sounds like a good day at the range. You found out what worked, and what didn't. You've fixed (or at least found the source of) the problems.
THE LATEST AND GREATEST IN TACTICAL GEAR WON'T SAVE YOUR LIFE...... BUT, HEY, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SURVIVING IN STYLE?

7.62 NATO/.308 Fanboy

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:30 pm

Yeah, it could have been worse, I could have been at work. I've run surplus FN 308 and it ran great. This is the first time I've had any trouble associated with this gun. I'm a little disturbed and now I have 150 rds of ammo I can't use. I think I'll buy some Win. cases and pull the bullets/powder and reload it in new cases.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

Lucas_061287
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Diaries, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later/Weeks Later (not really zombies).

Post by Lucas_061287 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:31 pm

1) Get yourself a bunch of LR-20 mags from Magpul. The DPMS mags are absolute garbage, but you seem to realize that. I wouldn't even bother sending it back. Make a rifle stand out of it or something.

2) Where the hell are your pics, good sir :lol:
To lead and to fulfill the plebeians' desires, to corrupt and subvert. I need but to despise the very substance of truth and define what is right.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:35 pm

No pics, I flew solo. Yeah, I have C-products and Magpul. The two DPMS I have came with the rifle, they used to work but all of a sudden don't. I almost sent them down range so they'd never malf again but was trying to determine why my rifle was working.
I wonder if I could replace the springs and followers in the DPMS mags with C-Products stuff.

Lucas_061287
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Diaries, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later/Weeks Later (not really zombies).

Post by Lucas_061287 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:42 pm

^I suppose you could, but honestly I'd just spend a few bucks more and get entirely new mags.
To lead and to fulfill the plebeians' desires, to corrupt and subvert. I need but to despise the very substance of truth and define what is right.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:53 pm

Yeah, Palmetto has Magpuls. I'll pick 2 more up to replace these lame DPMS mags.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:09 pm

I did shoot my CZ 75 S/A on the plate machine and enjoyed every second of it. That was not disappointing.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:13 pm

You arn't the only one that had a bad day at the range recently.

About two weeks ago a buddy of mine got a Ruger m77 in .257 Roberts that belonged to his father. After having somewhat of a hard time tracking down some ammunition, he was all excited to get some in the mail and then have the rifle all set up and ready to shoot. So, he calls me up and asks if I want to head out to the range with him before he had to go to work. The next day we load up, drive 45 minutes to the range, and start to unload. He makes sure his spotting scope is all nice and set-up, he makes sure his ammunition looks perfect with no defects, he hangs some targets with the utmost of care, he puts batteries in his new fancy noise-canceling earmuffs....then it comes time to unwrap his new pride and joy rifle. Next thing I know, I hear him muttering a few choice expletives.

Apparently the bolt to his new rifle was back on his desk from when he took it apart to clean/check it....meaning he didn't get to shoot it that day. :lol:

Oh well, there's always next time, right? :mrgreen:

UrbanConquest

Post by UrbanConquest » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:37 pm

[
Last edited by UrbanConquest on Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lucas_061287

Post by Lucas_061287 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:51 pm

^Off topic, but is that Ulma from FEAR in your sig?

hangfire

Post by hangfire » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Regular Guy wrote: I'm a little disturbed and now I have 150 rds of ammo I can't use. I think I'll buy some Win. cases and pull the bullets/powder and reload it in new cases.
Ahh, but it could be worse: You could have bought a CASE of the stuff!

BTW, where the hell did you ever come across Brazilian surplus ammo???
"PEOPLE SLEEP PEACEABLY IN THEIR BEDS AT NIGHT ONLY BECAUSE ROUGH MEN STAND READY TO DO VIOLENCE ON THEIR BEHALF".
George Orwell

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:35 am

hangfire wrote:
BTW, where the hell did you ever come across Brazilian surplus ammo???
I bought it a lloonnggg time ago at a gun show. It's been sitting around for about 10 years so I figured I'd shoot it up.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:20 am

UrbanConquest wrote:
Dooms wrote: Apparently the bolt to his new rifle was back on his desk from when he took it apart to clean/check it....meaning he didn't get to shoot it that day. :lol:

Oh well, there's always next time, right? :mrgreen:
Hahahha I have done that. By law here rifles have to be kept in a safe unloaded with the bolt out, I can't tell you how many times I've arrived at the range or got half way there before realising the bolt was still in the safe.
On Sunday I went to the range, stopping by the storage unit to pick up my gun on the way. Wanted to take the red dot off my wife's Kel-Tec and put it on my AR. I brought allen wrenches...and the screws were Torx! :x

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:38 am

all ftfeed and fail to chamber problems I have had with my ar10 dpms have been solved by dropping a few extra drops of lube into the chamber, rack rack rack

i damn near sent it back when i first got it and it started jamming after about 40 rounds. the lube did fix everything.

my factory mags have been fine, but I really do like the new magpul ones, no problems at all with those.

if you find compatible recoil springs let me know, i've looked around and haven't found anything that was made for ar-10s that give better push (but I haven't looked THAT hard). I'd love to grab one that gave more power.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

bigfrank87

Post by bigfrank87 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:57 am

Hey regular guy, when did you get the DPMS and the mags? I'm pretty sure that they changed the follower in the last year or two..

I know my cproducts and my DPMS 308 mags are different followers. I think one is a rounded follower top and other is squared off. 

If you want I have mine stripped as rebuild kits and can check if the followers swap.. 

Honestly +1 on the magpuls. 
Clean up your DPMS and sell em. Use that cash for more magpul pmag-LR

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:14 pm

I think the DPMS mag were my problem. The followers must be out of spec because the rounds weren't going in right. I mean to say, that sat on top of each other instead of staggering.
I cleaned and lubed the crap out of the bolt and it's now running the surplus ammo. Not with the DPMS mags but with the Pmags and C-Products mags.
The bolt was wet before but now it's dripping, works now but the surplus ammo is strictly range ammo.
Lessons learned.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:16 pm

Selling mags because they don't work is a dick move.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:18 pm

Jeriah wrote:Selling mags because they don't work is a dick move.

Oh, no, I'm not selling the malfing DPMS mags. I'm sending them back.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Regular Guy wrote:

Excellent.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Jeriah wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:

Excellent.
Unless you want them, you know for whatever.....J/K. :lol:
Actually, I'm going to see if C-Products followers work and if they do, swap them out.

bigfrank87

Post by bigfrank87 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:18 pm

Yea I meant sell the mags if they arent damaged. Some how the DPMS mags work for some people.. Mine never did work 100% but I'm using pmags now so works when bolt is wet

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm

bigfrank87 wrote:Yea I meant sell the mags if they arent damaged. Some how the DPMS mags work for some people.. Mine never did work 100% but I'm using pmags now so works when bolt is wet
Could be they're a little out-of-spec, and either malfunction in rifles that are also out of spec, or else they ONLY function in rifles that are also out of spec. So for example, it could be that the mags are too big, and so if your magwell is too small they won't work, or they may only work if your magwell is too big also.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”