Question about guns rusting.

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Randall06

Question about guns rusting.

Post by Randall06 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi guys! So recently I've been thinking about storing my guns in a more secure area. I currently have them in a gun cabinet. So I'm broke and my dad gave me a nice Knaack job box. It's made of heavy duty steel and it's lockable with padlocks, but this box has a nice system where the locks can't be cut with bolt cutters. I'm also planning to bolt the box to a concrete floor. So here is my question: someone told me the guns will rust in this metal box but I was planning to store them in some range bags anyway. Can anyone tell me if the rusting issue with my plan is true?

thorian

Re: Question about guns rusting.

Post by thorian » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:25 pm

get some painters friend or silica packets and you should be good.
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:50 am

Do not put them in the range bags or in any kind of case inside the job box. That will trap moisture and will lead to rusting. If you can, build some sort of rack for the job box. Wally World has desiccant packs in with the mothballs and coat hangers. One of those lasts about six months or so depending on the humidity. There are also battery operated dehumidifiers for gun safes and plug in "goldenrod" dehumidifiers as well.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:02 am

I have a metal gun safe, and I haven't had any problems with guns rusting inside the safe. For long-term storage, I just give the barrel/outsides a light coating of RemOil or CLP once a year, and they are good to go.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:27 am

I live in a very humid environment.. My safe is also metal, and rusting is not a problem if properly oiled/stored.

As mentioned, do not store them in the padded cases.. I learned that the hard way when I first started out.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:39 am

offcamber wrote:I live in a very humid environment.. My safe is also metal, and rusting is not a problem if properly oiled/stored.

As mentioned, do not store them in the padded cases.. I learned that the hard way when I first started out.
+1

My steel locker keeps them rust free (even my newer 870) so long as they have a thin bit of oil on them, and some dessicant packs tossed in there. No idea if the desiccant packs do anything, but it's peace of mind.

TheOrder45

Post by TheOrder45 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 am

Slightly off topic:

isn't it possible to "bake" dessicant packs after a while. From what I understand the heat dries them out and they are gtg again.

On topic:

A dehumidifier, even a modest or cheap one, will go a very long way.

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 am

TheOrder45 wrote:Slightly off topic:

isn't it possible to "bake" dessicant packs after a while. From what I understand the heat dries them out and they are gtg again.

On topic:

A dehumidifier, even a modest or cheap one, will go a very long way.
I've heard the same thing about them.

Never tried it though. My woman buys shoes so often, I have more dessicant packs that I could ever need.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:08 am

A job box should be cool. What you may want to do is get some lumber and fashion a horizontal rack system for them, similar to what you'd find inside a surplus shipping crate:

Ie, a wooden frame, with notches/cutouts to support the buttstock and muzzle. If you're clever, you can stack them several high like this, and they will all have air circulating around them, which is really the best way to keep them from rusting.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Jester79

Post by Jester79 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:16 am

Certain packs are able to be baked and then reused. This is not the standard across the board though so be careful about doing it.

Like everyone else said, stay away from keeping the weapons stored in bags. I am sure that several of us on here have our own lessons learned story about that. It is best if you can place it so that there is sufficient air flow around the weapon. That way one side doesn't stay dry while the other rusts. Again like everyone else said, as long as you properly oill your weapon, it should be good to go. For long term storage, when that particular weapon is not your primary for immediate use, using lubricants thicker than rem oil is not a bad idea. Vasoline actually is really good at weapons preservation. Just make sure that you wipe it off completely and then do a full cleaning prior to use.

Best of luck
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:26 am

I'd also look at installing some weather seal tape around the top lip of the box, so the lid closing seals the inside off. Combined with the desiccant bags, you'll be able to keep the interior moisture free. Remember tho, moisture is not the cause of rust, oxygen is- it just happens to be a big part of water. No matter how dry you make the interior of the box, your guns will still need an oil coating to prevent oxygen contact with the metal. And don't forget the inside of the barrel!
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:36 am

I use VCI emitters/pouches in my safe.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

Matsuo

Post by Matsuo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:48 am

Yes many desicant packs can be de-humidified in an oven, some will actually have the instructions to do so on them.
You can find good deals on very large desicant packs sold as surplus, many of which can be rejuvinated in an oven.

M
I've got a message from the action man.... " I'm happy, hope you're happy too. "...

MATSUCORP!

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:56 am

KnightoftheRoc wrote:I'd also look at installing some weather seal tape around the top lip of the box, so the lid closing seals the inside off. Combined with the desiccant bags, you'll be able to keep the interior moisture free. Remember tho, moisture is not the cause of rust, oxygen is- it just happens to be a big part of water. No matter how dry you make the interior of the box, your guns will still need an oil coating to prevent oxygen contact with the metal. And don't forget the inside of the barrel!
Wouldn't sealing the safe be a no-no?

I think you -want- circulation. Unless you're going to balls-out and actually have a pressure-vessel capable container that can actually have it's air run through an air-dryer/filter to remove nearly all moisture... I think you want there to be decent circulation, which can really only be caused by a slight draft, or at least lack of a seal. Desiccants will help, but I doubt they will succeed in removing everythign 100% unless you -really- load up the desiccants.

Simply sealing a basic box I think would do more harm than good. Maybe I'm crazy though. That's my intuition on it, though, thinking about other situations where moisture control is necessary.

Maybe someone who knows more about this specific case, /empirically/, can clarify.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:02 am

sealing a box is murder on your guns unless you seal it in the desert.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:02 am

To dry dessicant packs put your stove on the lowest setting, place the packs on a cookie sheet in the middle of the oven. LEAVE THE DOOR OPEN A FEW INCHES! They should be dry in only 20-30 minutes. Some of the dessicant packs that are packed with electronics are in a type of plastic, I dont recommend this method with them.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:10 am

A long time ago, the company I worked for would order big servers, then add stuff to them, and ship them on to the customers.

The servers always came to us with a few giant dessicant packs inside, the size of beanbags.

I always made sure to keep a few of them. They rejuvenated in the oven really well.

One thing to keep in mind though, they're only good for a few cycles of open/closing a container. after that the silica has absorbed all it can. they dont work for nearly as long as you'd think.

In the long term, putting a Goldenrod into your storage container is a much better idea.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:10 am

I think the sealing issue will depend on the environment inside and outside of the box.
Circulation in an arid environment would be good, in a very humid environment that could be bad.
If your in a humid environment AND you have lots of dessicant or a de-humidifier then sealed would be better. No matter what those guns and knives need oil.

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:43 am

It depends where you live, but proper air circulation is a good thing. However I live in a high desert and have stored rifles and handguns in padded cases all my life, so has my father and so has my grandfather. None of them have rusted ( except for one mauser I had as a kid that was more likely due to not knowing how to properly clean a rifle using corrosive ammo). Most of my guns these days are stored in a safe, but I have run out of room and store the extra in padded cases in my attic. 50 years storage in a padded case in the attic and no rust.

If you live in a desert you might be able to get away with it because of how dry it is. However I would get a safe if at all possible and keep that area dry with desiccant packs and oil the guns.

Randall06

Post by Randall06 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:43 pm

I'd like to thank all you guys for your ideas and helping me out. I am going to go ahead and make a wood frame in the box to hold the guns thanks for the idea.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:00 pm

Randall06 wrote:I'd like to thank all you guys for your ideas and helping me out. I am going to go ahead and make a wood frame in the box to hold the guns thanks for the idea.
Slap some felt or foam along the bearing surfaces that the guns rest on/against as well to keep it from developing scuffs/scrapes/handling-marks.

Just a suggestion in case you hadn't already decided to do it.

0002S

Post by 0002S » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:08 pm

http://www.polygunbag.com/gunbags.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm just saying..... :wink:
Ho, there, foul monster!

Bad Penny 08
Favorite Zombie Movies: The good ones.
Contrary to popular belief by the tasteless millions you CAN have realism in fiction.
But if you like being spoon fed crap...go right ahead.

Post by Bad Penny 08 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:02 pm

I put a muzzle cap on and a slip of anti rust paper in the oiled bore.
After a light coat of CLP/FP-10/Tetra/etc (or insert the preservative of your choice), I seal them in extra heavy mil mylar bags with a pack of desiccant and oxy absorber.
The same bags I put my food in.
Then I wrap them lightly in bubble pack to avoid scratches.
Cardboard spacers are good too. so its supported, but there isn't any excess contact to the surface of the weapons for moisture to collect.

I don't store blued guns if I can't help it. They might require more attention.
I don't mind the looks, but I hate it when you look at it sideways and it gets rusted or discolored. At least compared to park and other finishes.

Great ideas here too:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/wood115.html
Deanimator - Bust-a-Bin - zombie-survival-outbreak | IMFDB.Com| Service Manuals
FAL/AR/AK neutral,M-37,.40S&W,CompM3 2MOA,cheesecake,Blue wire,bayonet ambivalent
Comic books are not real life...get over it! | Tuff guy of the year award: "You're really not listening, accountant."

1_v8_Merc

Post by 1_v8_Merc » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:00 am

Screw buying desicant packets, just make your own!

Just go to Michaels or any other craft store.
In the isle where they keep the fake flowers, they got like a
5lbs box of Silica Gel. It's around $8 at Michaels or similar stores.
(it's common for them to be out, or low in stock, apparently they're aren't many companies makin this stuff anymore, because it's typically not a demanding item accept for commercial use and fake flowers......)

Then go to walmart, buy that super cheap Tea Packet box, it comes with 100 packs of tea for only $1 !
Then empty the packets fill em with silica gel, then tape the ends and staple
it. You can make a frigging million packets for like $10.

Oh yeah, you CAN infinitely re-use most silica gel styles.
The ones I have actually turn like red or blue when they are loaded with moisture.
Then you just throw em in a pan and bake em.
Can't remember the exact instructions, you should probably Google
it.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”