All Purpose "Help me pick a gun for my budget" thread.

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Re: All Purpose "Help me pick a gun for my budget" thread.

Post by Bearcat » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:21 pm

Redemption wrote:I'm looking for info on mag fed semi auto 12 gauge shotguns that can shoot 3" magnums in buckshot or slugs. It should have adequate support for parts add ons. I'd like to throw on a vfg and some kind of adjustable stock (legal?). Of course I'm looking at Saiga 12's but are there different brands? Are there other comparible 12 gauges? Is it cheaper in the long run to put one together or buy one that's converted? I'm going to be buying two and money is not really an issue, I just want a reliable weapon. One more thing, are adjustable sights better or am I going to be switching them out for night sights or red dot/laser/light etc. I've been on the saiga 12 forum but I guess this (ZS) is more like home to me. I know I'm all over the place on this but it is a lot to learn and thanks to proposed import restrictions I'm having to learn fast.

Edit for grammar but it's still bad.
Picked a bad time to get in Saigas as did I (didn't have the money till now). You could get them for around $550 new, I remember kvar had a sale for $463. Now the cheapest I can find is $650 uncoverted. Converted will cost you anywhere from $800 to over a grand depending on how tricked out you want it. RAA is one importer of saigas and there's a ban on their import coming. Arsenal is the only other importer of S12's and I'm not sure if they are getting banned or not. If you want an already tricked out one and willing to pay the price. Red Jacket Firearms is the place to go. If there is another mag fed 12 gauge available to civilians in this country I don't know of it.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

MULISHA JP
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, Zombie Land, Night of the living dead, House of the dead.

Post by MULISHA JP » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:10 pm

I'm on a low budget since I am unemployed. I was heavy into offroading before so I have sold most of my stuff to get some guns for my collection.

Plinker: Savage MKII 22lr. $239.00
CCW: Polish P-83 9x18mm. $239.00
Budget long range rifle project: Mosin Nagant 91/30 round. $69.00. Mosin Nagant 91/30 hex $79.00.
Home defense: Mossberg 500 12 gauge. $259.00. 18.5'' barrel $81.00

Total: $966.00 for 5 guns

Not great choices but they work and I have a blast with them.
As of right now everyone thinks i'm crazy. When the SHTF they will think i'm a genius !!!

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:25 am

So I'm looking at getting a Marlin 1894 C or CSS in 357. Any feedback, thoughts, experiences?
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

mojo_guzzi
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Fulci's Zombi, Return of the Living Dead, Zombie Apocalypse

Post by mojo_guzzi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:51 pm

As the owner of more than two dozen handguns who researched heavily before buying any here's my "two cents" on buying a good cheap handgun...

Colt revolvers are built like tanks and last forever. I own three that are 50-100 years old, two 38 specials and a 32 S&W. They are straight shooting reliable guns that go for large amounts of money if in great shape, but occasionally can be had for a few hundred bucks in excellent shooting condition with moderate cosmetic wear. Great reliable bedside guns and great investments as well.

The CZ-82 (9mm Makarov), the Beretta 84 series (380) and Arcus 9mms are all superb semis that can still be had for a good price (but not too much longer I would guess). The Arcus is a well-built clone of the Browning Hi-Power and all parts including the mags are compatible. If you are buying a semi, always check to see if extra mags are available and if they are, buy a few extra. Mags are usually the first part to cause problems on a semi and if you shoot a lot you'd be foolish not to have spares. A semi is useless without a working magazine. And as the mags disappear they become more desirable and more valuable, so they're good investments in any case. In most cases, better than money in the bank.

A lot of folks recommend guns that they are planning to sell soon to pump up interest. I own all three of the above-mentioned semis and they are absolutely the LAST guns I will sell from my collection. All of the earlier metal Berettas are excellent. The open slide design is jam free if they are maintained, which is easy because they are simple to take apart and put back together. The only Beretta to avoid is the Tomcat 32 unless it is the inox stainless model. If you want a regular 9mm the Beretta 1951 is still a bargain, and is highly collectible, but if possible get one made in 1955 or later, and get an Italian made one, not a clone. In fact, any older Beretta is a great investment, which will appreciate in value if kept in good shape.

The CZ-82 is awesome. The CZ-75 in standard 9mm is one of the most popular guns in the world, but the 82s can be had for at least a hundred bucks less and I'll bet (since they are all-steel) that they will be around as survivors long after many of the plastic 75s have given up the ghost. (We're talking many years from now.) All steel guns are a bit heavier, but there is no substitute when it comes to longevity, considering the beating that gun parts take.

FEG semis in 380 or Mak are still easy to find at bargain prices but they also are going up. They're nicely made pistols of titanium alloy in the James Bond Walther style but check the availability of mags first. Astras and Stars are also good but parts and mags might be scarce depending on the model.

Don't waste your money on cheap new American pistols, except maybe Hi-points (because they have a lifetime warranty.) But an older steel gun is a better investment in the long run.

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:58 pm

mojo_guzzi wrote:As the owner of more than two dozen handguns who researched heavily before buying any here's my "two cents" on buying a good cheap handgun...

Colt revolvers are built like tanks and last forever. I own three that are 50-100 years old, two 38 specials and a 32 S&W. They are straight shooting reliable guns that go for large amounts of money if in great shape, but occasionally can be had for a few hundred bucks in excellent shooting condition with moderate cosmetic wear. Great reliable bedside guns and great investments as well.

The CZ-82 (9mm Makarov), the Beretta 84 series (380) and Arcus 9mms are all superb semis that can still be had for a good price (but not too much longer I would guess). The Arcus is a well-built clone of the Browning Hi-Power and all parts including the mags are compatible. If you are buying a semi, always check to see if extra mags are available and if they are, buy a few extra. Mags are usually the first part to cause problems on a semi and if you shoot a lot you'd be foolish not to have spares. A semi is useless without a working magazine. And as the mags disappear they become more desirable and more valuable, so they're good investments in any case. In most cases, better than money in the bank.

A lot of folks recommend guns that they are planning to sell soon to pump up interest. I own all three of the above-mentioned semis and they are absolutely the LAST guns I will sell from my collection. All of the earlier metal Berettas are excellent. The open slide design is jam free if they are maintained, which is easy because they are simple to take apart and put back together. The only Beretta to avoid is the Tomcat 32 unless it is the inox stainless model. If you want a regular 9mm the Beretta 1951 is still a bargain, and is highly collectible, but if possible get one made in 1955 or later, and get an Italian made one, not a clone. In fact, any older Beretta is a great investment, which will appreciate in value if kept in good shape.

The CZ-82 is awesome. The CZ-75 in standard 9mm is one of the most popular guns in the world, but the 82s can be had for at least a hundred bucks less and I'll bet (since they are all-steel) that they will be around as survivors long after many of the plastic 75s have given up the ghost. (We're talking many years from now.) All steel guns are a bit heavier, but there is no substitute when it comes to longevity, considering the beating that gun parts take.

FEG semis in 380 or Mak are still easy to find at bargain prices but they also are going up. They're nicely made pistols of titanium alloy in the James Bond Walther style but check the availability of mags first. Astras and Stars are also good but parts and mags might be scarce depending on the model.

Don't waste your money on cheap new American pistols, except maybe Hi-points (because they have a lifetime warranty.) But an older steel gun is a better investment in the long run.
While Colts are well built guns, the are notorious for being the most fragile, and complex of the big revolver names(colt, ruger, and smith), they are also generally the most expensive, they would honestly be one of the last guns that would come to mind as a "budget gun" pretty much everything said about the colt would apply to Beretta as well. Good guns, but not one of the most robust designs, and usually command a premium based primarily off of brand name/collect ability like colts. Now you may find a great deal on a used colt or Beretta, but if you are looking to maximize your budget, you'd probably be better off buying that great deal, and then selling it for profit and using that profit towards a gun with a better cost to practical value ratio. (Note: buying a gun with the intent to resell for profit may be illegal in your AO, don't do anything illegal.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:12 pm

I read through the thread and saw that this had been discussed a little bit before, but that was three years ago and things have changed. I'm saving up to buy a reliable semi auto rifle and I'm on the fence.
I was in the Guard, dealt with the M4, while it has it's nice point, I've seen the rifle jam just during training with frequent cleaning (I always cleaned mine every night), this may not be true towards AR15s, but I'm not sure it's what I want.
I've thought about the SKS as an option, I've been told it's allowed for hunting in more areas than a 556. I shot one that a family member had, yes it had more kick than my puny M4 shoulders are used to, but nothing that I wouldn't be able to deal with. I would most likely get one of the 20rd fixed magazines for it, a local shop always has them in stock, the one I shot had steel detachable magazines and that was causing it to jam constantly.
I'm hoping for my budget for the rifle to be somewhere around $500, accessories and ammo will come with time so I'm not including them in my budget as of yet. Thoughts?

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Fri May 30, 2014 1:53 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:I read through the thread and saw that this had been discussed a little bit before, but that was three years ago and things have changed. I'm saving up to buy a reliable semi auto rifle and I'm on the fence.
I was in the Guard, dealt with the M4, while it has it's nice point, I've seen the rifle jam just during training with frequent cleaning (I always cleaned mine every night), this may not be true towards AR15s, but I'm not sure it's what I want.
I've thought about the SKS as an option, I've been told it's allowed for hunting in more areas than a 556. I shot one that a family member had, yes it had more kick than my puny M4 shoulders are used to, but nothing that I wouldn't be able to deal with. I would most likely get one of the 20rd fixed magazines for it, a local shop always has them in stock, the one I shot had steel detachable magazines and that was causing it to jam constantly.
I'm hoping for my budget for the rifle to be somewhere around $500, accessories and ammo will come with time so I'm not including them in my budget as of yet. Thoughts?
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... 2x39+Rifle

Blows the SKS away, and is the best $500+ I spent in some time.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Fri May 30, 2014 3:53 pm

That looks sweet, how much work is it to mount an optic on that? I just want to mount a simple red dot, nothing fancy. Does the VZ58 have as much reliability as the AK47 and does it take different magazines?

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:26 am

ManInBlack316 wrote:That looks sweet, how much work is it to mount an optic on that? I just want to mount a simple red dot, nothing fancy. Does the VZ58 have as much reliability as the AK47 and does it take different magazines?
Haven't mounted anything yet, but doesn't seem to be any issues. I want to get used to the iron sights before I do anything else, and honestly, may leave it that way.

Reliability is close to the AK (Use your Google-Fu to look it up), but unfortunately the mags are not compatible with an AK. That is part of the reason that you get 4 extras when you order. If you go to the link, AIM had the mags for $15 each, so you could add a few more if 5 total is not enough. You can use stripper clips, so that option is available as well.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:29 am

Murphman wrote:
ManInBlack316 wrote:I read through the thread and saw that this had been discussed a little bit before, but that was three years ago and things have changed. I'm saving up to buy a reliable semi auto rifle and I'm on the fence.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... 2x39+Rifle

Blows the SKS away, and is the best $500+ I spent in some time.
Rather get a Saiga. For $500 to $550 you can get a brand spanking new AK direct from Russia instead of a AK or SKS milsurp rebuild.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:06 pm

I appreciate the advice everyone. Done a lot of thinking and reading. I think I'm gonna just build an AR15 instead. I know I complained about the reliability of the M4, but that was an issued weapon with issued magazines, I believe I will actually get way better reliability with an AR15 that hasn't been used and abused by some private who doesn't know what they are doing (speaking from experience) and some PMAGS. I also want to stick with US made parts instead of countries I dislike and/or don't have a natural loyalty to. Thanks for the advice though everyone.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:22 am

ManInBlack316 wrote:I appreciate the advice everyone. Done a lot of thinking and reading. I think I'm gonna just build an AR15 instead. I know I complained about the reliability of the M4, but that was an issued weapon with issued magazines, I believe I will actually get way better reliability with an AR15 that hasn't been used and abused by some private who doesn't know what they are doing (speaking from experience) and some PMAGS. I also want to stick with US made parts instead of countries I dislike and/or don't have a natural loyalty to. Thanks for the advice though everyone.
If you aren't in a hurry, PSA has sales all the time. Friend got his for about $585 with FFL transfer and shipping fees (some assembly required).

Good luck!
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:13 pm

I'm not in a hurry, I have a reliable umarex colt m4 in 22, it's not what I consider ideal, but it allows me to continue to train on an AR15 platform while allowing me to save up for parts. I've been looking at PSA a lot actually and they seem to be decent prices, my LGS has a Spikes stripped lower for $100 so I may start with that and then buy parts as funding allows.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:, my LGS has a Spikes stripped lower for $100
Fuck that. That's March 2013 pricing.

http://fatboytactical.net/index.php?mai ... cts_id=457

Save yourself the hassle of installing a trigger guard pin, find someone with a $20 transfer, and order that. OR If you want, same site has AM lowers for $50.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:23 am

Thanks Doc, that's a way better deal! I'll start asking around my area for anyone who is willing to do transfers.

dee69chevi

Post by dee69chevi » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:50 am

Alright guys, lets see you work your magic. So i'm looking for a budget rifle that can reach out a little bit. I'm hoping to spend under $500 (gun only), if that's possible. I like the rem 700 but its a bit high for me. i can shoot that far without much issue, i shoot service rifle matches (5.56/.223) at 600 in decent wind. that's also with a $1200 gun so i understand if this is an unrealistic budget. as far as caliber goes, i can do with about anything that will go that range. I already have a 270, but was looking at the .300 win mag a bit. if any more info is needed please ask.
Thanks everyone, KALI.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:30 am

I don't think a .300 Win mag is possible at 500. It's been said before, if you don't mind waiting for sales and you can stand less than Tier 1 brand names, an AR can be built at your price point with very good internals. There will be room for future diversification like what the Ares SCR promises.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:03 am

dee69chevi wrote:Alright guys, lets see you work your magic. So i'm looking for a budget rifle that can reach out a little bit. I'm hoping to spend under $500 (gun only), if that's possible. I like the rem 700 but its a bit high for me. i can shoot that far without much issue, i shoot service rifle matches (5.56/.223) at 600 in decent wind. that's also with a $1200 gun so i understand if this is an unrealistic budget. as far as caliber goes, i can do with about anything that will go that range. I already have a 270, but was looking at the .300 win mag a bit. if any more info is needed please ask.
Thanks everyone, KALI.
You can do it, but you don't have the BEST choices, but there are some good ones. Here's a quick web search of .300 WINMAG bolt rifles around $500

1. Howa 1500, 22in bbl, Hogue stock --- $450 at GrabAGun (out of stock, but showing deals can be had)
2. Mossberg 4x4, 24in bbl, fluted bbl --- $335 at GrabAGun (in stock, but a budget gun)
3. T/C Venture, 24 in bbl --- $458 at CheaperThanDirt (in stock, no experience with T/C)
4. Savage 111, 24 in bbl, Nikon 3-9 scope --- $496 at CheaperThanDirt (in stock, great gun)
5. Browning A-Bolt, 26 in bbl, --- $502 at CheaperThanDirt (in stock, no experience with A-Bolt)

Also, a search on Impact Guns showed a few Remingtons (770 and 783) in Win Mag, I WOULD STAYYYYY AWAYYYYYY. The bolts like to lock up, you can easily do it if you handle one in the store. They also have the Zastava M70, Weatherby V2, Browning AB3, and Savage 111, all for around $480. I'd go with a Weatherby/Howa or Savage personally.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

zantra
BANNED

Post by zantra » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:07 pm

if you want effective skills for defense ( vs just bluffing and hoping) its going to cost you MANY thousands of $ and several hundred hours of training and practice, and thousands of rds of ammo. The cops fail miserably all the time and they get special treatment by prosecutors, judges, juries and prisons. You will not. So you'd better be a LOT more capable than the average cop, or get ready to get sued out of everything you ever had/make and go to prison for 10+ years. You also need to be black belt, just to keep from getting your gun shoved ykw. Stuff starts at 10 ft or less and often the guy is all OVER you in less than 1 second. Just ask George Z if that's not so! Cost him 1/2 million dollars and his life is ruined, just cause he was unable to whip a little runt/punk.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:02 am

Second PSA for good budget AR parts. Have several of their "blem" (read: a spot of finish smaller than my pinky nail was gloss instead of matte) lowers and two AR's composed of mostly PSA parts picked up from "blem" sales. Seriously, if you have the patience and can keep the cash set aside for a run of blem lowers/uppers, you won't be disappointed.

Zantra, uh, did you forget to quote someone's post there bud? As for the cost of training to a competent level, I can tell you as a casual competitive shooter there are a lot of avenues you can take to improve your skills while not killing your wallet - dry firing drills with snap caps on the regular, live fire practice with .22 analogues, pushing yourself with Dot Torture and the like to get the best return on investment when it comes to training time and investment of ammunition, using pellet guns when you can't get to a proper range to train to work out kinks and improve your basics - these all will show remarkable returns if you commit time, and even nothing but time, to them on a regular schedule.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

hondo

Post by hondo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:05 am

zantra wrote:if you want effective skills for defense ( vs just bluffing and hoping) its going to cost you MANY thousands of $ and several hundred hours of training and practice, and thousands of rds of ammo. The cops fail miserably all the time and they get special treatment by prosecutors, judges, juries and prisons. You will not. So you'd better be a LOT more capable than the average cop, or get ready to get sued out of everything you ever had/make and go to prison for 10+ years. You also need to be black belt, just to keep from getting your gun shoved ykw. Stuff starts at 10 ft or less and often the guy is all OVER you in less than 1 second. Just ask George Z if that's not so! Cost him 1/2 million dollars and his life is ruined, just cause he was unable to whip a little runt/punk.

But George Z. is alive, better alive and well than 6 feet under or maimed for a life.

Zantra who told you cops fail all the time? Do you remember those two would be mass shooters terrorist in Garland, TX? Cop shot them without ever getting out of his cruiser? Famous story about NYPD cops firing bunch of rounds and missing is more related to NY trigger than to lack of training.

Your post reads as a forget a gun, who needs that.

zantra
BANNED

Post by zantra » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:48 am

if you call being unable to get a job and being hunted all over the USA being "well", you're very, very ignorant, and George is very lucky to not be in prison, or dead. He was grossly incompetent. being good at plinking (whatever that is) and being truly capable of handling violence, have nothing whatever in common.dryfire doesn't teach you how to handle extreme speed of hitting. It's just useful for kidding yourself. Airsoft, tho, can teach you a lot, some of which can't be learned with live ammo, cause you can't practice shooting each other with live ammo. But the levels of discipline required go far beyond what any plinker will ever have.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Guys please lay off Zanta.
He is obviously new. both to the internet and to these boards.

We can all see he is obviously an elite operator with years of experience under his belt. I can just tell that he has been to the sandbox and back several times and just wants to spread his hard won wisdom to those of us who have never done things like that before.

I am personally taking notes on everything he is saying and just need a little help and clarification from him on a few things.

First what is a 'conversion kit'?
Second what is this 'airsoft' you keep mentioning.
Third what does 'autofire' mean?

And finally is English your primary language?

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”