AR 15 help

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

D-Train

AR 15 help

Post by D-Train » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:07 pm

I have acquaintance who is selling his AR and I'm interested, but was hoping for some advice from those who know better than me.
Here's his description:
Professional Ordinance. Got bought out by Bushmaster. Carbon 15. Weighs less than 3lbs. Tactical bag. 3 30rd mags. Red dot. Muzzle break. Got 1500 in it. Make an offer.
And here are a couple of pics:

Any thoughts on this particular gun? What would be a fair offer? I don't want to low ball the guy, but I definately can't drop 1500 bones. Thanks in advance.
"I wish for zombies everyday just so I don't have to go to work."
Finch

Dave_M

Re: AR 15 help

Post by Dave_M » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:12 pm

Nope. Don't do it.

Spend your money elsewhere. You can get a whole lot of good AR for $1,500

The rifle itself is probably worth slightly less than half of his asking price. He should've dumped this rifle back in December during the craze.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Finch

Post by Finch » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:20 pm

i'd say no for 1500 you could get a nice new AR/

Also it looks "post ban" to me ... no lug, fixed muzzle break, no collapsible stock.

and not to sound rude... I think its ugly :)
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

Absintheur
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Let's just say I have never seen one I didn't like!

Post by Absintheur » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:34 pm

I have seen these on Guns America and on Gun Broker for half that asking price. $1500 would buy a nice DPMS, 10 mags, and a case of ammo at the very least.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." -- J.R.R.Tolkien

D-Train

Post by D-Train » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:37 pm

So what's a fair offer? $800?
Finch

desert dog
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Fido, Trailer Park of Terror, all of GR's stuff
Location: The last conservative stronghold in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia

Post by desert dog » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:38 pm

Negative on that for zombie work.
.223 = too many "twitchers"
.30 caliber = instant de-animation

Other than that, stay away from this rifle. The Bushy Carbon 15 has a well documented history of Kabooms. Buy decent quality the first time. Prices are dropping, so its a good time to save a little extra and buy a better model.
Last edited by desert dog on Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:41 pm

:roll: anyway.

no dont do it. its atleast 2X the real price.

1500$ can buy a damn good AR.
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

D-Train

Post by D-Train » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:43 pm

Hoppy wrote::roll: anyway.

no dont do it. its atleast 2X the real price.

1500$ can buy a damn good AR.
I definately agree, but there's no way I can spend $1500 on an AR. Not now, probably not ever. So I thought this might be a way to at least a gun I could upgrade a little at a time. Maybe I'll just offer the guy $700 and see what he says. I mean, that's not too much, right?
Finch

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:49 pm

For 1500, you could build a Larue stealth complete package, upper and lower.

If I were to buy a rifle for 1500, I would have done exactly what I did with my latest upper.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:59 pm

I definately agree, but there's no way I can spend $1500 on an AR. Not now, probably not ever. So I thought this might be a way to at least a gun I could upgrade a little at a time. Maybe I'll just offer the guy $700 and see what he says. I mean, that's not too much, right?
Still too much for a gun you'd be using as a chassis for upgrades. If you plan to make a good AR in piecemeal baby steps, you'd be better served by accumulating good parts to start with. $700 would come close to building a very good AR from parts. If you spend $700 on this, you'll wind up discarding most of the junk parts when you eventually upgrade, except that there's no way to fix the craptacular polymer lower short of buying a new forged aluminum lower . . . which you could have started with anyway.

I'd just decline the offer. Seller might be offended by the lowball offer, and you really do not want a Carbon 15. Repeat:you really do not want a Carbon 15.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

D-Train

Post by D-Train » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:03 pm

What's the problem with the Carbon 15? Poor quality?
Finch

desert dog
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Fido, Trailer Park of Terror, all of GR's stuff
Location: The last conservative stronghold in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia

Post by desert dog » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:45 pm

D-Train wrote:What's the problem with the Carbon 15? Poor quality?
Supposedly, Bushy has remedied problems that Carbon15 were having with cracks and Kabooms. Still, I would not trust one as a SHTF rifle. Many of them have cracked just from being dropped. I would post pics, but do not have permission to do so.

The PO gun that the op wants to buy is one of the POOREST examples of the AR platform you can buy. Many of the key parts are not even interchangeable with an AR15, and new parts can not be found.

D-Train

Post by D-Train » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:47 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I'll be passing on this one.
Finch

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:04 pm

If you want an inexpensive, lightweight AR then grab a Cav-arms lower for $100 and slap a pencil barrel upper on.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Or spend $750 at Del-Ton and wait a while.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Boris

Post by Boris » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:45 pm

That AR looks cheap and ass ugly.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Teddy Roosevelt

jeremy1391
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead
dawn of the dead (old and new)
day of the dead (original)
28 weeks later
land of the dead
diary of the dead (very well done)

Post by jeremy1391 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:17 pm

even if you offered him 800 you could get yourself a nice CMMG (i highly recommend them)
i dont trust the carbon 15.
the_klenzer wrote:
And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Yeah, CDNN has been running deals on entry level CMMGs. Around 800, sometimes less, either free shipping or free mags and such thrown in. Good products usually, probably better than Del Ton, etc. That's what I'd buy if I wanted an entry level AR. (I have one CMMG M4 clone and one that's a CMMG lower with the rest of the parts being Colt).

1200 bucks gets you a Colt 6920.

Richter

Post by Richter » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:16 am

because of their light weight, Carbon 15's will, I assume, more recoil, and if you are going to get more recoil for a round that small, then I would just suggest moving to like a .308 or maybe even an AK.

I agree with everyone else saying that $1500 is too much. I think he thinks that because it is not that common, that people will jump on it for that price... He's wrong. My Stag Arms model 2T cost me almost $1000 after shipping. http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It is more expensive now but you get the idea. I consider my Stags to be top of the line (well, I would give them up for POF weapons) so even CMMG sucks balls compared to Stag. I saw somewhere in another forum where almost everyone thought Stags were superior to Bushmaster and I agree.

So, I think your "friend" is trying to screw you

gordon_freeman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of Dead

Post by gordon_freeman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:35 am

pmpmzd6 wrote:because of their light weight, Carbon 15's will, I assume, more recoil, and if you are going to get more recoil for a round that small, then I would just suggest moving to like a .308 or maybe even an AK.

Weight is not the issue. The Cav Arms lower is light as well, and I like it just fine.

The problem is durability. The carbon composite materials is known for cracking. The Carbon 15 is a great fun gun, but not much of a fun gun. Glad the OP passed on that rifle, it was a straight up peice of junk. I wouldn't pay $400 for it. Maybe $300 to gut it for spares and parts.

For $1500, you can buy a Colt 6940, a Daniel Defense M4, or even a Noveske Recce Basic. $1500 is enough to get you into the big leagues with the premium makers, why would you settle for junk?

Dave_M

Post by Dave_M » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:37 am

gordon_freeman wrote:For $1500, you can buy a Colt 6940, a Daniel Defense M4, or even a Noveske Recce Basic. $1500 is enough to get you into the big leagues with the premium makers, why would you settle for junk?
You know what I don't understand? With AR's, the top of the line and the lowest bidder are usually priced within one case of ammunition from each other. No reason to buy less in most cases IMO.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:06 pm

Have him move the decimal point. $150.00 sounds about right.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liff

Post by Liff » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:38 pm

There is a ton of snobbery in my post, but I would not buy that gun. Price is not the issue.

I like to say that I am too poor to buy something twice. You are also I assume. Buy what you want the first time and enjoy that rifle for a long time. (I think you are there already, just throwing my 2 cents in.)

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”